The different ICS leaks compared; things that does not work, and how to make it work.

Search This thread

fjevel

Oct 24, 2008
Not sure if this belongs in general or in Q&A, but as it's supposed to be more of a discussion thread, I put it in general. If a mod disagrees, I'm sure it can be relocated. :)

I've tried both this and the Chinese I9220 leak, and none of them are good enough to be daily drivers for me. But they give me something to look forward to as the feel and speed of the GUI is just amazing compared to GB.

To sum up my main gripes about the ROMs:

Chinese I9220 leak:

Unstable bluetooth; Disconnects and will not reconnect without toggling BT off/on on handset side.
Hang; Whole handset just hangs. Need to keep power button pressed > 10 secs to force reboot.
Contacts application performs really bad; Stutters and hangs all over, even FCs at times. New favorites tab is really crap compared to old one. (BIG pictures of your favorites, no "most called" option.
Dialer no longer recognizes my incoming calls from contacts that has country code in their phone#; If someone calls me and I have stored their # in the format +47xxxxxxxx, it will only show up as a number on incoming call. As soon as I edit the contact and remove the +47, it will show up as normal.

Minor annoyance; A lot of preinstalled Chinese apps; these can be easily disabled under the application list in settings. That will make them disappear from your app drawer. Some of the apps tie into TW quite a bit, and I found no way to sort that out, but I am sure you can fix that as well if need be.
Minor annoyance; Color of address bar in stock browser is black on black, which makes it kind of hard to read.
Minor annoyance: Not all languages are present; can use English, but need to hack locales to get correct display of phone # etc.
Minor annoyance; Swiftkey X tablet not woking as it should. Does not show in landscape at all.

N7000 leak:

Showstopper, No sound on calls. Did not bother to play around with it too much after I found this, but also found it to be a bit less stable in general than the I9220 release. Quite a few TW apps FCing, and you needed to flash CSC twice to get a working keyboard.

Minor annoyance; Languages missing. Same deal as with the I9220 version.
Minor annoyance; Problems with graphics in some applications. Some applications like Swiftkey X tablet not working as it should.

So now I am back to stock, on the fence again. Really, really looking forward to a fully working release. The taste I have had here convinces me that the handset really will show its potential a lot better in ICS than what they have managed to do with GB.

If anyone has found solutions to the problems I list here or other problems I did not find, please post them here so that we can find a way to make these ROMs a daily driver as soon as possible.

-KJ

Last edited:

EdgaBimbam

Nov 26, 2011
Vilnius
www.google.lt
at the moment:
chineese leak:
amazingly fast, even smoother than gingerbread with custom rom(rocket rom)
no color banding at calculator
video player isnt working
sammy leak:
laggy
color banding at calculator
so far i found these factors. But chineese leak can be used as daily rom.

Dragooon123

Aug 18, 2008
National Capital Region(NCR)
Chinese leak :
Much faster than XXLP1, also quite a bit more stable. Contacts app is slightly laggy but still worlds better than the one in GB. I'd still prefer stock ICS contacts app. With build.prop hacks it works well. BT works fine for me, although I don't use it a lot(Just to transfer a couple of pictures around)
Video problem : Fix by installing gapps and using stock ICS gallery(I deleted Gallery 3D, it's ugly compared to ICS' one).

XXLP1 :
Well....sucks. Laggier, more unstable than Chinese leak. Presumably older build, voice on phone doesn't work.

Currently using the chinese leak as daily, deleted crappy chinese apps and other samsung apps that I don't need + added CM9 Music app, build.prop tweaks, Nova Launcher, ICS Gallery, Chrome Beta.

arikyeo

Jul 31, 2010
Singapore
The chinese leak hangs because of background ANRs. Other than that it works great.

Initially I wanted to cook a rom based on the chinese leak with AOSP apps (What I really want on my note is the TW S Pen apps + AOSP, or something close) such as AOSP contacts and AOSP SMS, whilst removing all the chinese crapware and some of the samsung crapware (eg: samsung apps) but I think I'll wait until a slightly more stable version comes out..

Gaugerer

Sep 9, 2011
Not sure if this belongs in general or in Q&A, but as it's supposed to be more of a discussion thread, I put it in general. If a mod disagrees, I'm sure it can be relocated. :)

I've tried both this and the Chinese I9220 leak, and none of them are good enough to be daily drivers for me. But they give me something to look forward to as the feel and speed of the GUI is just amazing compared to BG.

Chinese I9220 leak:

Unstable bluetooth; Disconnects and will not reconnect without toggling BT off/on on handset side.
Hang; Whole handset just hangs. Need to keep power button pressed > 10 secs to force reboot.
Contacts application performs really bad; Stutters and hangs all over, even FCs at times. New favorites tab is really crap compared to old one. (BIG pictures of your favorites, no "most called" option.
Dialer no longer recognizes my incoming calls from contacts that has country code in their phone#; If someone calls me and I have stored their # in the format +47xxxxxxxx, it will only show up as a number on incoming call. As soon as I edit the contact and remove the +47, it will show up as normal.

Minor annoyance; A lot of preinstalled Chinese apps; these can be easily disabled under the application list in settings. That will make them disappear from your app drawer. Some of the apps tie into TW quite a bit, and I found no way to sort that out, but I am sure you can fix that as well if need be.
Minor annoyance; Color of address bar in stock browser is black on black, which makes it kind of hard to read.
Minor annoyance: Not all languages are present; can use English, but need to hack locales to get correct display of phone # etc.
Minor annoyance; Swiftkey X tablet not woking as it should. Does not show in landscape at all.

N7000 leak:

Showstopper, No sound on calls. Did not bother to play around with it too much after I found this, but also found it to be a bit less stable in general than the I9220 release. Quite a few TW apps FCing, and you needed to flash CSC twice to get a working keyboard.

Minor annoyance; Problems with graphics in some applications. Some applications like Swiftkey X tablet not working as it should.

So now I am back to stock, on the fence again. Really, really looking forward to a fully working release. The taste I have had here convinces me that the handset really will show its potential a lot better in ICS than what they have managed to do with GB.

If anyone has found solutions to the problems I list here or other problems I did not find, please post them here so that we can find a way to make these ROMs a daily driver as soon as possible.

-KJ

Thanks for your very useful thread which will help people decide whether to flash these "leaked" ROMS or not.

arikyeo

Jul 31, 2010
Singapore
Thanks for your very useful thread which will help people decide whether to flash these "leaked" ROMS or not.
+1. Should temporary sticky it too. Prevent moronic comments like:
Ok so gone from chinese rom to this one and i gotta say, SAMMOBILE you succckkkk man, you kept us waiting for this pile of doggy doo, this rom seriously sux, crash crash crash, no matter how ya flash it, its poo, slow, laggy, sound static issues, absolutely awful, the unfinished cm9 has less bugs than this.

Reverting back to chinese, that rom is so much better than this.
Oh,

Thanks again sammobile
Not a great thing to say to someone that doesn't actually create the rom..

fjevel

Oct 24, 2008
My intention was indeed to try to prevent the dev threads to be flooded by nondev and nonrelevant posts like that.

I will let this thread live a little and see if I can compile a list on each leak to sum up. Hopefully others that have a little more patience than myself will find ways around a few of the problems we already identified.

-KJ

marianoitalianoo

Sep 5, 2010
i am also using Chinese leak ROM as daily one and it works awesome with all bloatware freezer or removed with TB. Nova launcher works perfectly. I also use exDialer since the stock one is sooo crapy. I just wish I could get rid of TW notifications and get the stock ICS one.

csasek

Dec 10, 2007
Shenzhen, China
funUSBdrives.com
I'm using the Chinese ROM set at 240 DPI (I read that going lower will cause it to freeze and require re-flashing), TouchPal Keyboard, Go Launcher, Go SMS (other SMS wasn't recognizing existing contacts), and I deleted most of the local apps. I haven't really had any problems with it. I think it is good enough to be a daily.

I would like to merge some of the CM9 stuff with this ROM but I think I'll wait for more experienced hands to do it.

vinayj009

Jun 19, 2011
mumbai
I am also on the Chinese rom and it working just fine.... I haven't had any FCs or force reboots and overall its quite slick also ram memory is more than stock gingerbread firmware (816 vs 800mb)

Vulpix

Mar 25, 2006
Singapore

I'm quite sure you are doing something wrong if all that is happening to you. My handset crashing was resolved when I found out it was an incompatible app, and my contacts with country code works fine.

HTCtouchuk

May 7, 2009
I am using Chainfire's repack + Gapps and everything seems to be working fine.

There is only issue i have seen no solution to, that is the google calendar is not syncing. It does not appear on my google account at all.

Anyone able to help?

fjevel

Oct 24, 2008
I'm quite sure you are doing something wrong if all that is happening to you. My handset crashing was resolved when I found out it was an incompatible app, and my contacts with country code works fine.

Hmm... Not sure if there's a lot that can be done wrong here. Wiped everything and installed from Mobile Odin.

Now it also has decided to turn down the ringtone and SMS sound. It has become extremely low in volume even though I have set it to max in the Settings - Sound - Volumes.

I think this is down to inconsistencies in the ROM and not me being unable to operate it...

-KJ

Edit: Rebooting solved the sound issue. For now.

Last edited:

ziko

Jan 6, 2008
Einbahnstrasse, Switzerland

There is only issue i have seen no solution to, that is the google calendar is not syncing. It does not appear on my google account at all.

Anyone able to help?

Have a look at post #1696:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1500186&page=170

Hey folks,

If you're experiencing problems with calendars - I believe the problem is actually that you are using another version of the Google Apps (and not the one provided in post #1)

I had found my Google Apps ZIP elsewhere with the filename:

gapps-ics-4.0.3-20111217[1].zip

The ZIP you actually need to restore:

gappsv7.1.zip

As soon as I flashed that and gapps_fixer.zip the Sync Calendar option appeared!

Reactions: HTCtouchuk

xp3rto

May 11, 2011
hyderabad
www.facebook.com
I've very few problem with the Chinese leak repacked by chainfire.. my phone doesn't vibrate on incoming notifications or calls.. anyone has any idea to fix it? I cant see any option to enable it though I can see the option to set vibration intensity for ringtone and notifications.

N1NJATH3ORY

Aug 16, 2010
Can some one please provide download links for ics for the note ?? Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium App

fjevel

Oct 24, 2008
Check under Android Development. Two separate threads there for the two leaks.

-KJ

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I've tried both this and the Chinese I9220 leak, and none of them are good enough to be daily drivers for me. But they give me something to look forward to as the feel and speed of the GUI is just amazing compared to GB.

Chinese I9220 leak:

N7000 leak:

-KJ

Anyone able to help?

Have a look at post #1696:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1500186&page=170

Hey folks,

If you're experiencing problems with calendars - I believe the problem is actually that you are using another version of the Google Apps (and not the one provided in post #1)

I had found my Google Apps ZIP elsewhere with the filename:

gapps-ics-4.0.3-20111217[1].zip

The ZIP you actually need to restore:

gappsv7.1.zip

As soon as I flashed that and gapps_fixer.zip the Sync Calendar option appeared!