[Tutorial] (Non Null_) Rooting / Nova / ATN / UCCW / ect. (Updated 11/04/13)

Search This thread

sciron

Mar 2, 2006
WOW!!! Great Post!!

Thank you for taking the time to post and all the hours of research this took. You can tell by my post count I don't usually thank people. I have been lurking and downloading for years. This is awesome what you did!!! :laugh::highfive:

Reactions: almulder1092

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
Excellent post ! Bravo Bravo !

Very nice write up.

I suggest having a look at GMD gestures when using the home button remap fix, iv created a gesture to act like a home button.
Works extremely well.

Also I believe I was the first to discover clock faces as widgets :laugh:

Reactions: almulder1092

almulder1092

Oct 11, 2013
Alternative way to install apk (Without Wondershare)

How to install APK’s to your gear. (Without Wondershare)

Ok this is for everyone who can’t justify buying Wondershare and the trial expired. (Or can't afford)
These instructions work for people who have a Windows/Mac/Linux.

1. Download fastboot. (See attached files)
  2. Unzip fastboot the root of your drive (You can delete it later when done, or advanced users can unzip it anywhere)
  3. Make sure your watch is in USB Debug mode (See Post# 2 if you’re unsure how to do this)
  4. If you’re using Mac or Linux, You can skip this step. If your using windows, make sure you have installed the Samsung USB Drivers. (See Post# 2)
  5. Plug your Gear into your computer
  6. Now open up a Command Prompt (Terminal window for Mac/Linux) (Google it if you’re unsure how)
    11txsly.jpg

Type in the following:
    For Windows:
    cd\
    1y8s46.jpg

cd fastboot
    32zhwe9.jpg

adb devices
    wvompy.jpg

For Mac:
    cd\
    cd fastboot
    chmod 755 *
    ./adb-mac devices​

For Linux
    cd\
    cd fastboot
    chmod 755 *
    ./adb-linux devices​
  7. Look at your gear, there should be a prompt. Press OK. (If you have connect before using USB this might not appear on the gear, just go to the next step))
    If it does not come up, then we will need to kill the process adb.exe running and try launching it from the command prompt again.

Windows:
    Open Task Manager, Locate adb.exe and end the task.​

Mac/Linux:
    Type in the command:
    kill adb​
  8. Now type in the following:
    Windows:
    adb devices​

Mac:
    ./adb-mac devices​

Linux:
    ./adb-linux devices​
  9. Looking at the Command windows (Terminal window) You should see device. (If you do – GREAT, else go back and try again)
    30xj53b.jpg

10. Move you apk file you want to install to the fastboot directory
  11. Use the following command to install your apk file:
    Windows:
    adb install nameoffile.apk
    351y5mo.jpg

Mac:
    ./adb-mac install nameoffile.apk​

Linux:
    ./adb-linux install nameoffile.apk​
  12. Once installed the app should appear on your gear under the apps section.
    20u48qq.jpg

Noticed AshtonTS had also posted Mac guide so I am linking to it here incase others need it.

Attachments

• fastboot.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 3,270
Last edited:

jbarresi19

Oct 24, 2011
I m having an issue and I am hoping someone can help..i rroted the device exactly how you said bt then I go wondershare I click on my device, I fo to Google play apps...I search SuperSU and for some reason the download or install keeps failing....any ideas?

vingar

Mar 24, 2012
are there tutorial for launch shortcut from gear to phone.
i want run shortcut of tasker.
thanks

Inviato dal mio GT-N7100 utilizzando Tapatalk

jbarresi19

Oct 24, 2011
I m having an issue and I am hoping someone can help..i rroted the device exactly how you said bt then I go wondershare I click on my device, I fo to Google play apps...I search SuperSU and for some reason the download or install keeps failing....any ideas?
Ok so now I I got super user on my watch but whan I go to download the paid version on the root explorer it only give me an option to download it to my phone...what am I doing wrong....please help :(

almulder1092

Oct 11, 2013
are there tutorial for launch shortcut from gear to phone.
i want run shortcut of tasker.
thanks

Inviato dal mio GT-N7100 utilizzando Tapatalk

Not sure I understand. Are you wanting to use the gear to lanch apps on your phonce?

Ok so now I I got super user on my watch but whan I go to download the paid version on the root explorer it only give me an option to download it to my phone...what am I doing wrong....please help :(

Aw, best bet here is to connect your phone to wondershare download the app to your phone and then back up the app with wondershare and then transfer the apk to you gear. (Was not aware it will not install directly to the gear. I already had the apk backed up on my pc so I just transferred it.)

Hope that helps.

almulder1092

Oct 11, 2013
ATN manager does not show up in my gear manager notifications I tried uninstalling an reinstalling several times

Thanks for the tutorial BTW

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

ATN manager does not show up in my gear manager notifications I tried uninstalling an reinstalling several times

Odd. Never ran into that issue. I would suggest directly to the ATN Manager forum and submit your question there? What version did you install? try 1.2pre that seems to be the version everyone is having best luck with.

Reactions: mrnovanova

alexstoriu

Dec 8, 2010
uccw

ok so I'm going into uccw and trying to mess around with it. when i go to select the 4x4 is just sits on a blank page and in the top left it just says loading... it wont go past that.

Also if i put something that I make from the phone onto the Gear storage how do i load that set up? I was able to get it to be renamed but just couldn't figure out the rest.

Thank you so much for all the set up and figuring all of this out can't wait to see the future for this bad boy

alprazolam

Apr 19, 2009
I changed the button behavior using the method above, but the button still does not turn the screen on and off. I checked and re checked to make sure I have followed the exact instructions listed above with the word power instead of home...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

alexstoriu

Dec 8, 2010
I changed the button behavior using the method above, but the button still does not turn the screen on and off. I checked and re checked to make sure I have followed the exact instructions listed above with the word power instead of home...

did you check to make sure the time stamp got edited? and do a reboot?

almulder1092

Oct 11, 2013
ok so I'm going into uccw and trying to mess around with it. when i go to select the 4x4 is just sits on a blank page and in the top left it just says loading... it wont go past that.

Also if i put something that I make from the phone onto the Gear storage how do i load that set up? I was able to get it to be renamed but just couldn't figure out the rest.

Thank you so much for all the set up and figuring all of this out can't wait to see the future for this bad boy
Try opening UCCW directly and make your widget in there first and save it and then try ans load it on the screen. The instructions might be my bad, I was trying to do them from memory. I will make the appropriate changes to the guide.

If you make one on your phone, save it as a uzip file. then transfer that uzip file to your gear and then open the uzip file withing the uccw program.

Reopen the file and make sure the changes took. I had that issue where it did not take the edit.

Mr Ian B

Aug 3, 2010
Check out the new post above! Let me know if that works for ya.

I got it to work to an extent and then failed. I plugged the Gear, went through commands in the Mac, it can see it but says device offline and there is nothing in the Gear to acknowledge and show online in the command line. I think I am going to break down and buy Wondershare. Ugh $40 bucks.

Thanks,

Ian B

Borg_Nexus

Jul 30, 2012
Richmond
Thanks alot dude!

Note: If the screen starts to flicker, just continue working, if it locks up, Yes it does happen don’t panic, just reboot then. (Reboot by holding the button down for 30+ seconds)

WTF

almulder1092

Oct 11, 2013
Note: If the screen starts to flicker, just continue working, if it locks up, Yes it does happen don’t panic, just reboot then. (Reboot by holding the button down for 30+ seconds)

WTF

I belive this happens when it runs out of memory. But the only time this happens is during the creation of widgets. But after I'm done and did a restart everything runs smooth.

Mi|enko

Jul 15, 2006
I got it to work to an extent and then failed. I plugged the Gear, went through commands in the Mac, it can see it but says device offline and there is nothing in the Gear to acknowledge and show online in the command line. I think I am going to break down and buy Wondershare. Ugh $40 bucks.

Thanks,

Ian B

Sounds like you denied the permissions for the computer to connect to it. (ie. When you connect the computer to it, there's a popup on the gear asking if you're willing to accept the incoming connection.)

Last edited:

Mr Ian B

Aug 3, 2010
Sounds like you denied the permissions for the computer to connect to it. (ie. When you connect the computer to it, there's a popup on the gear asking if you're willing to accept the incoming connection.)

For some reason, it never showed in the Gear. No biggie, found another PC at the house and doing another 10 day trial. All previous apps r back in the Gear and all is well.

Thanks,

Ian B

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (Non Null_)Tutorials for: Rooting / Nova / ATN / UCCW / ect..
    Created by almulder1092 @ xda-developers.com

I now use the Null_ ROMs - New Tutorial Out Now - Click Here
    12/10/2013

I have created this tutorial for one reason, 100+ of pages I have read through to find bits and pieces of info to get my gear set up. I spent a several days searching and getting it set up the way I wanted and learning how to, this should help speed thing up for you

Well here are pics of my watch screens and a list of what I have done to the Gear.

ao28g8.jpg
    ao28g8.jpg
    23ido35.jpg

2rlzuc3.jpg
    2efixye.jpg
    sqmdtk.jpg

Rooted the Watch (Why not? It’s a must) (Jump to this Section)
    ATN Manager (Better notifications system)(Jump to this Section)
    Nova Launcher (Replaces Touch Wiz)(Jump to this Section)
    Watch Styler (Removed and relaced with UCCW)
    Xposed Framework (needed by GravityBox)(Jump to this Section)
    GravityBox (needed by UCCW)(Jump to this Section)
    Flit Keyboard (needed for UCCW)(Jump to this Section)
    UCCW (Used for creating a better clock widget) (Jump to this Section)
    Root File Manager (Need for the ability to turn the directory into R/O & R/W)(Jump to this Section)
    ES File Explore (Yes another file explorer both are needed as apps don’t pick up that Root File manager is installed.)(Jump to this Section)
    Settings (Required settings for UCCW) (Jump to this Section)
    Button Hack (Made the button turn the screen off again)(Jump to this Section)
    Custom Fonts (Used in UCCW for my Clock)(Jump to this Section)
    Creating Widget(s) with UCCW (I have attached my custom Widget) (Jump to this Section)
    PIE(Replaced Xposed Framework & Gravity Box with this instead. (Easier)) (Google Play)
    Additional apps I have installed:
    MultiWindow Calculator (by Maknaeya)

Battery Life? Well since the new updated manager I get 2+ days of life. Before the update it was maybe 10 hours.

Now for those of you that wish to do the same or similar here is what you need to do to set it up:
    Android phone with 4.3 (Most likely a Note 3)
    Galaxy Gear Watch
    A Computer (I used windows 8)
    Patience
    Some free time

Note: When I say reboot. It is recommended you reboot as some are mandatory and other are just to keep the system clean before moving forward.

NOTE: I (almulder1092) nor XDA-Developers or anyone else mention in the info below is responsible for damages or unwanted effects that could come from this Tutorial. It worked for me and others, but it might not work for you. Be responsible and if you’re unsure about anything and don’t want to risk damages STOP NOW!

Tips for the Gear:
    Available to all Gear users (Including stock)
    1. Hold 2 fingers on the screen and this will bring up the recent apps screen (From here you can close apps as needed.)
    2. Tapping with 2 fingers on the screen will bring up Volume / Brightness settings , and Battery Levels.

Additional Tutorials you might want to read about:
    Silent Camera thanks to Brendo
    null_07 Rom thanks to fOmey
    GPS on Gear with null Rom thanks to appelflap
    Gear Theme thanks to freefallng0411
    Quick Dial on Gear Desktop thanks to lukasz

Credit and thanks to the following people in no particular order: (If I have missed you somehow sorry. PM me and I will add you)
    xda-developers.com, photonicgeek, sepiroth887, rovo89, C3C076, fOmey, Brendo
    Rooting Your Gear

First get and install Wondershare MobileGo for Andoid this will make life easier. (Trial Version will work)

Alternative way to install apk (Without Wondershare) look here

Now let’s Root your Watch: (A must for anyone wanting to do most things)
    Thanks to photonicgeek for posting the how to guide:

Preparation:

1. Install Samsung’s Official ADB Drivers from here.
    2. Get Cydia Impactor from here.
    3. Go to your Gear’s settings >> Gear info >> enable “USB debug”
      6stm3l.jpg
      2s5zg8z.jpg

Rooting:
    • Plug in the Gear to your computer, let it install the drivers needed
    • Unzip Cydia Impactor to a folder and launch Impactor.exe
    • The box should be pre field in with # drop SuperSU su to /system/xbin/su (That’s what we want)
    • Click Start
      2pot7dj.jpg

• Only takes a few seconds to complete the process
    • Now open up Wondershare, and connect your device.
    • Select your device and then click on the Google Play Apps
    • Search for SuperSU and install it. (Free version is fine, By Chainfire)
    • This will install SuperSU directly to your Gear.
    • Open SuperSu on your Gear, when opened it should ask to update the su binary. (say YES)
    • Search for Root Explorer and install it (By Speed Software) ***
    • Reboot your Gear and then go into apps and launch Root Explorer. It should ask you for root permission’s, say yes. (ya wrong app Pic but you get the idea)
      2ptqtdk.jpg

• You’re now rooted and have access to all your files in the Gear.

*** You may have to install it to your phone and then back up the app and transfer the backed up apk to your gear. (Using Wondershare)
      or check out the write up that fOmey did about using a Chrome plugin to download apk(s) directly from the play store. Check it out here

Creating Widget(s) with UCCW

Creating Widget(s) with UCCW

Now that you have everything set you can start creating your own custom UCCW widgets.

Open UCCW to start creating them.

After your done creating your widget, Press and hold on the Nova desktop and select Widgets and the select the UCCW 4x4, select the widget you made from the list, be sure to resize it to use the full screen once you’re done (Prior to locking the widgets)

Now UCCW will open, have fun. Trial and error.

Im not going to go into detail about how to create widgets using UCCW. as there are many, many things you can do with it.
    However please note that items such as weather, events, contacts ect.. most likely will not work. (I have yet to find out how)

I would say install UCCW on your phone and play around on it and get use to how things work. (You can even create the widget on your phone and then save it and share it out and push it to your watch.
    293isft.jpg
    2vvw680.jpg

212wqxz.jpg
    2pqotao.jpg

Once you have what you want Activate Pie by sliding from bottom of the screen up. And click the menu button. You can now save, give it a name (Using the new keyboard from earlier).
    1zlzrpc.jpg
    35ndjy9.jpg

16axkk7.jpg
    k1ri1f.jpg

I played around with my Widget Creation for about 2+ hours to get it just the way I wanted. (All on the Gear, really should have used my phone to do this)

Once you’re done and everything looks good. Lock the widgets / activate hotspots
    Activate Pie, select the Menu button, and select Lock Widgets
    invkmr.jpg
    ix59hk.jpg

I have attached my version if you want it and then you can mod it as you see fit. (You can also save and distribute your own) Or open one that was shared to you.
    (rename the extention from zip to uzip.)
    35ndjy9.jpg
    maxa9c.jpg

I also used UCCW to create a background widget for my other screens.

Nova Launcher

Nova Launcher (Version I used 2.2.3) (Replacement Launcher)
    Not sure who to thank for the proper instructions as it was posted so many times.

Installation:
    1. Connect your Gear to Wondershare and click Google Play Apps
    2. Search for Nova Launcher and install it. (Free Version should be fine)
    3. Now disconnect your Gear from the computer.
    4. On your Gear launch Root Explorer and navigate to /data/app locate com.teslacoilsw.launcher-1.apk or NovaLauncher.apk this is the Nova launcher.
      4ttw6w.jpg

5. Press and hold on the file and a pop up with option will appear. Select Cut
      30m0043.jpg

6. Swiped down on the screen several times until your back to / (The root of the Gear)
    7. Navigate to /system/app press the button that says Mount R/W
      jpv9li.jpg
      2w3unoo.jpg

8. You can now Paste the file with no issues. Once pasted Click on the Mount R/O
      10f9i5u.jpg

9. Now Reboot your phone.

Installing ATN Manager

Installing ATN Manager (Version I used 1.2.2 ) (A Better Notification Manager)
    Thanks to sepiroth887 for creating ATN Manager found here

No Longer Needed with the New Updated Gear Manager, As it is now built in to the Gear Manager

Preparation:
    1. Download ATN Manager from here

Installation:
    1. Connect your Phone to Wondershare and click on Apps.
    2. Drag and drop the ATN Manager.apk into the apps area. This will install it to your phone
    3. On your Phone go to System Settings >> General >> Security >> Notification access >> enable ATN Manager
      zlp5ab.jpg
      mbk1hv.jpg
      21l4lxs.jpg

4. Open the app ATN Manager and select what apps you want ATN Manager to get alerts for. (Note: not all apps work. This app is still being developed)
      2wm1lhi.jpg
      2qwzaiu.jpg

5. Now on your Phone go to Gear Manager >> Settings >> Notifications >> enable ATN Manager
      2pzwtja.jpg
      qwzzw4.jpg
      2jee9ub.jpg

6. You should now get the selected notification on your Gear.