[Guide] How to set up Galaxy Gear 2 for non Samsung devices (Full Tutorial)

Search This thread

CarbonWyre

Feb 16, 2011
Phoenix
I HAVE BEEN INFORMED THIS METHOD IS NO LONGER VALID. PLEASE LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR YOUR ANSWERS.
What's needed:
Galaxy Gear 2
Rooted Non Samsung device
CWM Recovery or TWRP Recovery
This has been tested on:
Nexus 5, KitKat 4.4.2, LiquidSmooh 3.0, Purity ROM
HTC One M8, Stock DOES NOT work, Insert Coin M8 2.5.0 does

Build.Prop Edit:
WARNING, SCREWING THIS UP CAN BRICK YOUR DEVICE
ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP ON THE PHONE SIDE
[QUOTE]Method 1(GUI Based):
1. Download Solid Explorer
2. Browse to /System/
3. Open "build.prop"
4. Edit the following:
Code:
ro.product.manufacturer=Samsung
ro.product.model=GT-I9500
ro.product.brand=Samsung
5. Save
6. Restart Phone

Method 2 (CMD/Computer):
1. Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging
2. Plug phone into computer and let drivers install
3. Open CMD in ADB/Fastboot Folder
4. Type "adb remount"
5. Type "adb pull /system/build.prop
6. Backup the old build.prop (now contained in the adb/fastboot folder)
7. Open build.prop in Notepad ++
8. Edit the following:
Code:
ro.product.brand=Samsung
9. Save
10. Type "adb push build.prop /system/"
11. Restart Phone[/QUOTE]

Using Phone/GUI Interface

Installation Instructions:
1. Download:
Code:
A. [URL="http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=5772&task=get"]Samsungservice[/URL]
B. [URL="http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=5771&task=get"]Samsung Apps[/URL]
C. [URL="http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=5770&task=get"]S-Voice_Android_Phone[/URL]
D. [URL="http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=5769&task=get"]GearManagerStub[/URL]
E. [URL="http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=5768&task=get"]S-Voiced_Signed[/URL]
2. Move Samsung Apps, S-Voice_Signed, and GearManagerStub to /System/app
3. Correct the permissions on each file to:
Code:
A. Long press on the app
B. Press "Properties"
C. Change Attributes to -rw-rw-r-- (664) or (644)
D. Under Attributes change "Group" to 0:root and press Set
4. Move Samsungservice to /System/priv-app and correct the permissions
5. Restart Phone
6. Open S Voice and agree to all TOS
7. Go into /System/app and delete S Voice
8. Move S-Voice_Android_Phone to /System/app and correct permissions
9. Restart Phone
10. Open Settings > Accounts (or press on the notification) and enter account/Register
11. Open S-Voice, it will stop working, don't worry that's normal
12. Open Samsung Apps
13. Search for, and download, Gear Manager
14. Open Gear Manager
15. Connect to Device

Using ADB/Computer
1. Settings > Turn on Developer Option
2. Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging (Should be on by default for InsertCoin)
3. Settings > Security > Unknown Sources (Should be on by default for InsertCoin)
4. Plug into computer and allow drivers to install (Or install HTC Sync Manager for drivers), keep phone on
5. Download Gear2ADBToolkit.zip and unzip
6. Open Folder, Shift+Right Click and click "Open command window here"
7. Type "adb devices", it should return a list with your phone listed (random numbers/letters)
7a. If a list is returned empty you need to reinstall drivers
8. Type "adb remount"
9. Edit Build.prop (Methods above)
10. Type "adb push samsungapps.apk /system/app" press enter
11. Type "adb push gearmanagerstub.apk /system/app" press enter
12. Type "adb push svoice-signed.apk /system/priv-app" press enter
13. Type "adb push samsungservice.apk /system/priv-app" press enter
14. Type "adb shell" press enter, type "su" press enter
15. Type "chmod 644 /system/app/samsungapps.apk"
16. Type "chmod 644 /system/app/GearManagerStub.apk" (Make sure you get the caps)
17. Type "chmod 644 /system/priv-app/svoice-signed.apk", type "exit"
18. Type "chmod 644 /system/priv-app/samsungservice,apk", type "exit"
19. Type "adb reboot recovery"
20. On phone press "Wipe" > "Advanced Wipe" > Check Dalvik & Cache > Swipe to Wipe, Press back until at home screen
21. On Phone press "Advanced" > "Fix Permissions" > Swipe to Confirm, Reboot System
22. Once phone has rebooted, press on Samsung Account notificaiton and log in/create an account
23. Open SVoice and agree to TOS
24. Type "adb remount"
25. Type "adb shell" press enter, type "su" press enter
26. Type "cd /system/app" press enter, type "rm svoice-signed.apk" press enter, type "exit"
27. Type "adb push Svoice-Final.apk /system/priv-app" press enter
28. Type "adb shell" press enter, type "su" press enter
29. Type "chmod 644 /system/prvi-app/Svoice-Final.apk" press enter, type "exit"
30. Type "adb reboot recovery"
31. On phone press "Wipe" > "Advanced Wipe" > Check Dalvik & Cache > Swipe to Wipe, Press back until at home screen
32. On Phone press "Advanced" > "Fix Permissions" > Swipe to Confirm, Reboot System
33. Open Samsung Apps, search for Gear Manager, install Gear Manager
34. Connect Gear to Gear Manager
35. Follow instructions on setting up notificaitions
Click here for alternate method for installation FOR NEXUS 5

Fix "Galaxy Gear Connecting" forever: (This is a known bug for the Nexus 5)
1. Download Connecting-Fix.zip
2. Move onto phone
3. Unzip
4. Install normally by clicking on them and installing

Turning On Notifications:
1. Open "Notifications" in Gear Manager
2. Uncheck "Limit Notifications"
3. Press on "0) More Notifications"
4. Press "Turn On"
5. Check the box next to "Gear Manager"
6. Return to "Notifications" in Gear Manager
7. Scroll down and check the boxes you want to receive notifications from

What's working and what's not: (Thanks to @mpogr)
  • Alarms: don't work, plain and simple. I am in a desperate search for a LOCAL alarm app for the Gear, even thinking about writing one myself!
  • Making calls: works using dialer, from Contacts and using S Voice. However, the call is always transferred to the Gear first. You can transfer it back to the phone from the Gear or from the phone. However, if you also want to use Bluetooth headset (or in-car), you're out of luck. I implemented a workaround disconnecting the Gear and connecting to the earpiece using Tasker.
  • Receiving calls: works fine, except the answering device limitation above.
  • Browsing contacts: works fine. If you tap on the phone number, it makes a call straight away, without asking anything else (with Samsung it might be acting a bit more intelligently asking if you wanted to call or text). If you tap on email address, nothing happens (I'm assuming with Samsung it would allow you to send an email, more on this below).
  • Browsing schedule: works fine. On Samsung, you can select specific calendars to be displayed on the Gear in Gear Manager settings. On Sense devices like my M8, you can select calendars to be displayed in your Calendar app, this selection automatically propagates to the Gear. You can't change anything in the appointment. Not sure if this is different in any way on Samsung devices.
  • Messaging: for starters, you need to use stock Messaging app and not a substitute, e.g. Hangouts. Second, you can only send texts, and only to contacts. You can't see received texts (you can see content of received texts if you chose to receive notifications from Messaging app, but this is not the same as with using the texting app, which allows you to browse ALL of the text messages stored on your phone). To send a text message, tap on "Messages" on the Gear. You will see "No messages". If you SLOWLY drag the window from the top to the middle, an option of "Send message" will appear. You can tap on it, then it will allow you to select the contact. Then you will be able to either select a predefined template (I already posted on how to change those) or compose a message from a bunch of emoticons. S Voice doesn't work with non-Samsung Messaging app.
  • Email: this one simply doesn't work. It totally relies on Samsung emailing app and refuses to work with anything else. You can get notifications about incoming emails if you select "Gmail" and "Email/Mail" as 3rd party notification providers, and these would typically include the sender, subject and a couple of lines of text, but that's it. You totally depend on what your emailing application chooses to put in those notifications. You can neither browse past emails nor compose new ones. I'm assuming email composition on Samsung devices relies on S Voice.
  • S Voice: this one requires further investigation. As mentioned above, texting and emailing don't work. Web search is not supported either, I'm assuming this is true for Samsung devices as well. Calling, showing weather, appointments and contacts does work, as well as composing new appointments and meetings (but it doesn't send meeting invites if you add attendees to your meetings). I guess more research is needed to figure out what else is working.
  • Call logs: doesn't work, shows empty log. Again, you do get notifications about missing calls, but you can't browse any kind of call history.
  • Media Controller: seems to be fully working on Sense 6 devices, regardless of music app (tested with built-in Sense player as well as Poweramp).
  • Music Player: seems to be working with music stored on the Gear, including streaming to a Bluetooth headset. You can get music onto the Gear in two ways: either copy from the computer over USB or transfer directly from the phone using Gear Manager. I think, on Samsung, you can also play music stored on the phone directly, without prior copying it to the Gear. Not sure why this is a valuable function though...
  • Voice Memo: seems to be working locally on the Gear. When you finish recording the memo, it gets transferred to the phone and then, apparently, goes nowhere. I'm assuming on Samsung it's integrated with the Memo app and becomes available from there, either in audio and/or in text form.
  • Weather: doesn't even get installed on the Gear. This means both Weather app on the Gear and Weather watch faces are unavailable. A simple workaround is to ask S Voice "Show current weather", it basically displays the same information.
  • Exercise apps: there are 4 apps there: running, walking, biking and hiking. The former 2 seem to be working, while the latter 2 seem not to, because they rely on GPS info from the phone which doesn't get relayed on non-Samsung phones. The apps that are working seem to be quite crappy though.
  • Other fitness apps: Heart Rate, Pedometer and Sleep seem to be working. All these seem to be perfectly synchronising into Samsung account using Fitness for Gear app on the phone.
  • Editing text templates: Gear Manager crashes when you try to do that. I already published a way of working around this.
  • Changing watch wallpaper from Gear Manager crashes (it didn't in the previous versions). There is a simple workaround: choose the wallpaper on the watch. You can copy it over to the Gear using your computer over USB.
  • Gear Software Update crashes once in a while and fails to update the Gear firmware (again, was working fine in previous versions of the Gear Manager): install Kies 3 application on your PC and update your Gear firmware using it.
  • Find the Gear and Find the Device are working.
  • S Health doesn't work. Not sure if it has any added value for Gear owners on top of what Fitness for Gear has to offer.
  • S Voice installed on the phone as a part of this process (to enable S Voice functionality on the Gear) doesn't work on the phone. Not sure it has any value considering what Google Now has to offer.
  • Once Gear gets disconnected from the phone, it doesn't reconnect on its own (it does with Samsung phones). There is a simple workaround for this using Tasker.
  • Last but not least: installing apps from Samsung store seems to be working.

Change Log:

Added Computer/ADB based method
Added downloads for Computer based method
Updated information

Updated specifics
Updated working ROM list
Updated which apps work

S-Voice now works! (Credit to mpogr)
Streamlined process..kinda
Process now works instead of not working
New Downloads
Updated directory
Streamlined install process
Attempted to make it more simplistic
Now include proper way to install Samsung Apps
Added downloads

XDA:DevDB Information
Gear 2 on non Samsung Devices, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Gear 2

Contributors
CarbonWyre, thesparky007, mpogr

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 1.4
Beta Release Date: 2014-04-25

Created 2014-04-26
Last Updated 2015-02-16

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-26-07-30-45.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-26-07-30-45.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 17,178
  • Screenshot_2014-04-26-07-30-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-26-07-30-52.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 17,278
  • Screenshot_2014-04-26-07-31-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-26-07-31-09.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 16,842
Last edited:

mpogr

Jan 16, 2008
Melbourne
I've done all this today (kind of got to this independently myself and somehow ended up with an identical process on my HTC One M8). All is working well except alarm notifications on the Gear 2. I was able to receive notifications from GMail, Mail (HTC analogue of Google Exchange Email), phone calls and Messages (didn't try Hangouts, Skype, Viber and WhatsApp yet). However, no matter what I did, I couldn't get Clock Alarm notifications on the Gear. I did add the "Clock" app (the HTC one coming in the ROM) to the notification list in the Gear Manager, that didn't help. I even downloaded and tried a 3rd party Alarm app, and it didn't work either.
Any suggestions?

CarbonWyre

Feb 16, 2011
Phoenix
I've done all this today (kind of got to this independently myself and somehow ended up with an identical process on my HTC One M8). All is working well except alarm notifications on the Gear 2. I was able to receive notifications from GMail, Mail (HTC analogue of Google Exchange Email), phone calls and Messages (didn't try Hangouts, Skype, Viber and WhatsApp yet). However, no matter what I did, I couldn't get Clock Alarm notifications on the Gear. I did add the "Clock" app (the HTC one coming in the ROM) to the notification list in the Gear Manager, that didn't help. I even downloaded and tried a 3rd party Alarm app, and it didn't work either.
Any suggestions?

I just tested mine, seems that my Clock alarms don't get sent to my Galaxy gear either. I suspect this might be because if you don't have the watch on and the alarm goes off then you're out of luck. It might also be because the Alarm itself isn't actually a notification. If I come across something I'll let you know, but for the mean time it seems that Alarms aren't working due to it not being a notification. Though I suspect that if you have the Samsung app store there might be one (but we can't use that)

D

Deleted member 5149701

Can you respond to texts from the watch?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

CarbonWyre

Feb 16, 2011
Phoenix
No go its not able to find the watch :(

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Try turning on the bluetooth and pairing the watch with the phone from the settings menu before you use Gear Manager. Also if it was connected to another phone (activated already) you need to open Settings on the Gear2 and go into Bluetooth and click "Make Visible"

D

Deleted member 5149701

Connected mine to the BestBuy model. Can you make calls from it?

I want one so I can just go running without my phone, respond to texts, etc.

If I had a Samsung device, can I respond to texts?

vikramdhani

Apr 2, 2006
Connected mine to the BestBuy model. Can you make calls from it?

I want one so I can just go running without my phone, respond to texts, etc.

If I had a Samsung device, can I respond to texts?

Yes with Samsung device you can respond to texts but that will only be via pre defined templates like talk to you later or OK or bye etc

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 5149701

Yes with Samsung device you can respond to texts but that will only be via pre defined templates like talk to you later or OK or bye etc

Okay I'm debating to get one or not. What can it do on a Samsung device that can't on the Nexus?

I'd like to use the fitness part.

miafrato

Dec 11, 2010
Working

Got it working on my N5, however now all calls are going straight to the Gear instead of the phone. Hoping some of the apps can be ported over from Samsung to xda so the watch will have more functionality. Also maybe we will be able to root and sideload Google wear on it eventually.

CarbonWyre

Feb 16, 2011
Phoenix
Got it working on my N5, however now all calls are going straight to the Gear instead of the phone. Hoping some of the apps can be ported over from Samsung to xda so the watch will have more functionality. Also maybe we will be able to root and sideload Google wear on it eventually.

We'll see. A lot of that has already been talked about as not possible. If we're going to put apps and stuff on it, the need for touchwiz needs to be removed and we need to find a way outside of the app store to install them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mpogr

Jan 16, 2008
Melbourne
On my HTC One M8, the call can be answered either on the Gear or on the Phone. However, the default answering device is the Gear, although, if the phone is in reach, it is very easy to switch the audio to go through the phone. It gets more complicated if you want to use another Bluetooth device (an earpiece or in-car BT) to use as phone audio device, because, from a regular Android phone perspective (stock or Sense), Gear already IS a Bluetooth Phone Audio device, so there is no easy way to switch between them (on Touchwiz there is a special hack to handle these situations). To resolve this, I had to use Tasker app to intelligently handle such situations (see my post here).

Last edited:
Reactions: KOLIOSIS
D

Deleted member 5149701

Well, pulled the trigger and bought my wife the Gear 2 from AT&T for $249 shipped. So, guess I'll play with it and see what it can do on the Nexus 5.

If your phone is loses connection to the watch, what happens? Can you still use some of the functions?

vikramdhani

Apr 2, 2006
The issue that I have faced is that watch connects like a Bluetooth device hence you can not connect with a Bluetooth headset :(

D

Deleted member 5149701

The issue that I have faced is that watch connects like a Bluetooth device hence you can not connect with a Bluetooth headset :(

I just read somewhere, don't remember but someone posted a possible fix to that.

Something along the lines of going into your bluetooth settings and making it so Phone > Gear > Headset, instead of Headset < Phone > Gear.

Also, here are the apps from Samsung App Store:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2677686

vikramdhani

Apr 2, 2006
I just read somewhere, don't remember but someone posted a possible fix to that.

Something along the lines of going into your bluetooth settings and making it so Phone > Gear > Headset, instead of Headset < Phone > Gear.

Ahh I will like to know where can I find that details because I like to switch my phones a lot and it will be helpful

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I HAVE BEEN INFORMED THIS METHOD IS NO LONGER VALID. PLEASE LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR YOUR ANSWERS.
    What's needed:
    Galaxy Gear 2
    Rooted Non Samsung device
    CWM Recovery or TWRP Recovery
    This has been tested on:
    Nexus 5, KitKat 4.4.2, LiquidSmooh 3.0, Purity ROM
    HTC One M8, Stock DOES NOT work, Insert Coin M8 2.5.0 does

Build.Prop Edit:
    WARNING, SCREWING THIS UP CAN BRICK YOUR DEVICE
    ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP ON THE PHONE SIDE
    [QUOTE]Method 1(GUI Based):
    1. Download Solid Explorer
    2. Browse to /System/
    3. Open "build.prop"
    4. Edit the following:
    Code:
    ro.product.brand=Samsung
    5. Save
    6. Restart Phone

Method 2 (CMD/Computer):
    1. Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging
    2. Plug phone into computer and let drivers install
    3. Open CMD in ADB/Fastboot Folder
    4. Type "adb remount"
    5. Type "adb pull /system/build.prop
    6. Backup the old build.prop (now contained in the adb/fastboot folder)
    7. Open build.prop in Notepad ++
    8. Edit the following:
    Code:
    ro.product.brand=Samsung
    9. Save
    10. Type "adb push build.prop /system/"
    11. Restart Phone[/QUOTE]

Using Phone/GUI Interface

Installation Instructions:
    1. Download:
    Code:
    A. [URL="http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=5772&task=get"]Samsungservice[/URL]
    B. [URL="http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=5771&task=get"]Samsung Apps[/URL]
    C. [URL="http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=5770&task=get"]S-Voice_Android_Phone[/URL]
    D. [URL="http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=5769&task=get"]GearManagerStub[/URL]
    E. [URL="http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=5768&task=get"]S-Voiced_Signed[/URL]
    2. Move Samsung Apps, S-Voice_Signed, and GearManagerStub to /System/app
    Code:
    A. Long press on the app
    B. Press "Properties"
    5. Restart Phone
    7. Go into /System/app and delete S Voice
    8. Move S-Voice_Android_Phone to /System/app and correct permissions
    9. Restart Phone
    10. Open Settings > Accounts (or press on the notification) and enter account/Register
    12. Open Samsung Apps
    14. Open Gear Manager
    15. Connect to Device

Using ADB/Computer
    1. Settings > Turn on Developer Option
    2. Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging (Should be on by default for InsertCoin)
    3. Settings > Security > Unknown Sources (Should be on by default for InsertCoin)
    4. Plug into computer and allow drivers to install (Or install HTC Sync Manager for drivers), keep phone on
    5. Download Gear2ADBToolkit.zip and unzip
    6. Open Folder, Shift+Right Click and click "Open command window here"
    7. Type "adb devices", it should return a list with your phone listed (random numbers/letters)
    7a. If a list is returned empty you need to reinstall drivers
    8. Type "adb remount"
    9. Edit Build.prop (Methods above)
    10. Type "adb push samsungapps.apk /system/app" press enter
    11. Type "adb push gearmanagerstub.apk /system/app" press enter
    12. Type "adb push svoice-signed.apk /system/priv-app" press enter
    13. Type "adb push samsungservice.apk /system/priv-app" press enter
    14. Type "adb shell" press enter, type "su" press enter
    15. Type "chmod 644 /system/app/samsungapps.apk"
    16. Type "chmod 644 /system/app/GearManagerStub.apk" (Make sure you get the caps)
    17. Type "chmod 644 /system/priv-app/svoice-signed.apk", type "exit"
    18. Type "chmod 644 /system/priv-app/samsungservice,apk", type "exit"
    19. Type "adb reboot recovery"
    20. On phone press "Wipe" > "Advanced Wipe" > Check Dalvik & Cache > Swipe to Wipe, Press back until at home screen
    21. On Phone press "Advanced" > "Fix Permissions" > Swipe to Confirm, Reboot System
    22. Once phone has rebooted, press on Samsung Account notificaiton and log in/create an account
    23. Open SVoice and agree to TOS
    24. Type "adb remount"
    25. Type "adb shell" press enter, type "su" press enter
    26. Type "cd /system/app" press enter, type "rm svoice-signed.apk" press enter, type "exit"
    27. Type "adb push Svoice-Final.apk /system/priv-app" press enter
    28. Type "adb shell" press enter, type "su" press enter
    29. Type "chmod 644 /system/prvi-app/Svoice-Final.apk" press enter, type "exit"
    30. Type "adb reboot recovery"
    31. On phone press "Wipe" > "Advanced Wipe" > Check Dalvik & Cache > Swipe to Wipe, Press back until at home screen
    32. On Phone press "Advanced" > "Fix Permissions" > Swipe to Confirm, Reboot System
    33. Open Samsung Apps, search for Gear Manager, install Gear Manager
    34. Connect Gear to Gear Manager
    35. Follow instructions on setting up notificaitions
    Click here for alternate method for installation FOR NEXUS 5

Fix "Galaxy Gear Connecting" forever: (This is a known bug for the Nexus 5)
    1. Download Connecting-Fix.zip
    2. Move onto phone
    3. Unzip
    4. Install normally by clicking on them and installing

Turning On Notifications:
    1. Open "Notifications" in Gear Manager
    2. Uncheck "Limit Notifications"
    3. Press on "0) More Notifications"
    4. Press "Turn On"
    5. Check the box next to "Gear Manager"
    6. Return to "Notifications" in Gear Manager
    7. Scroll down and check the boxes you want to receive notifications from

What's working and what's not: (Thanks to @mpogr)
    • Alarms: don't work, plain and simple. I am in a desperate search for a LOCAL alarm app for the Gear, even thinking about writing one myself!
    • Making calls: works using dialer, from Contacts and using S Voice. However, the call is always transferred to the Gear first. You can transfer it back to the phone from the Gear or from the phone. However, if you also want to use Bluetooth headset (or in-car), you're out of luck. I implemented a workaround disconnecting the Gear and connecting to the earpiece using Tasker.
    • Browsing contacts: works fine. If you tap on the phone number, it makes a call straight away, without asking anything else (with Samsung it might be acting a bit more intelligently asking if you wanted to call or text). If you tap on email address, nothing happens (I'm assuming with Samsung it would allow you to send an email, more on this below).
    • Browsing schedule: works fine. On Samsung, you can select specific calendars to be displayed on the Gear in Gear Manager settings. On Sense devices like my M8, you can select calendars to be displayed in your Calendar app, this selection automatically propagates to the Gear. You can't change anything in the appointment. Not sure if this is different in any way on Samsung devices.
    • Messaging: for starters, you need to use stock Messaging app and not a substitute, e.g. Hangouts. Second, you can only send texts, and only to contacts. You can't see received texts (you can see content of received texts if you chose to receive notifications from Messaging app, but this is not the same as with using the texting app, which allows you to browse ALL of the text messages stored on your phone). To send a text message, tap on "Messages" on the Gear. You will see "No messages". If you SLOWLY drag the window from the top to the middle, an option of "Send message" will appear. You can tap on it, then it will allow you to select the contact. Then you will be able to either select a predefined template (I already posted on how to change those) or compose a message from a bunch of emoticons. S Voice doesn't work with non-Samsung Messaging app.
    • Email: this one simply doesn't work. It totally relies on Samsung emailing app and refuses to work with anything else. You can get notifications about incoming emails if you select "Gmail" and "Email/Mail" as 3rd party notification providers, and these would typically include the sender, subject and a couple of lines of text, but that's it. You totally depend on what your emailing application chooses to put in those notifications. You can neither browse past emails nor compose new ones. I'm assuming email composition on Samsung devices relies on S Voice.
    • S Voice: this one requires further investigation. As mentioned above, texting and emailing don't work. Web search is not supported either, I'm assuming this is true for Samsung devices as well. Calling, showing weather, appointments and contacts does work, as well as composing new appointments and meetings (but it doesn't send meeting invites if you add attendees to your meetings). I guess more research is needed to figure out what else is working.
    • Call logs: doesn't work, shows empty log. Again, you do get notifications about missing calls, but you can't browse any kind of call history.
    • Media Controller: seems to be fully working on Sense 6 devices, regardless of music app (tested with built-in Sense player as well as Poweramp).
    • Music Player: seems to be working with music stored on the Gear, including streaming to a Bluetooth headset. You can get music onto the Gear in two ways: either copy from the computer over USB or transfer directly from the phone using Gear Manager. I think, on Samsung, you can also play music stored on the phone directly, without prior copying it to the Gear. Not sure why this is a valuable function though...
    • Voice Memo: seems to be working locally on the Gear. When you finish recording the memo, it gets transferred to the phone and then, apparently, goes nowhere. I'm assuming on Samsung it's integrated with the Memo app and becomes available from there, either in audio and/or in text form.
    • Weather: doesn't even get installed on the Gear. This means both Weather app on the Gear and Weather watch faces are unavailable. A simple workaround is to ask S Voice "Show current weather", it basically displays the same information.
    • Exercise apps: there are 4 apps there: running, walking, biking and hiking. The former 2 seem to be working, while the latter 2 seem not to, because they rely on GPS info from the phone which doesn't get relayed on non-Samsung phones. The apps that are working seem to be quite crappy though.
    • Other fitness apps: Heart Rate, Pedometer and Sleep seem to be working. All these seem to be perfectly synchronising into Samsung account using Fitness for Gear app on the phone.
    • Editing text templates: Gear Manager crashes when you try to do that. I already published a way of working around this.
    • Changing watch wallpaper from Gear Manager crashes (it didn't in the previous versions). There is a simple workaround: choose the wallpaper on the watch. You can copy it over to the Gear using your computer over USB.
    • Gear Software Update crashes once in a while and fails to update the Gear firmware (again, was working fine in previous versions of the Gear Manager): install Kies 3 application on your PC and update your Gear firmware using it.
    • S Health doesn't work. Not sure if it has any added value for Gear owners on top of what Fitness for Gear has to offer.
    • S Voice installed on the phone as a part of this process (to enable S Voice functionality on the Gear) doesn't work on the phone. Not sure it has any value considering what Google Now has to offer.
    • Once Gear gets disconnected from the phone, it doesn't reconnect on its own (it does with Samsung phones). There is a simple workaround for this using Tasker.

Change Log:

Added Computer/ADB based method
    Added downloads for Computer based method
    Updated information

Updated specifics
    Updated working ROM list
    Updated which apps work

S-Voice now works! (Credit to mpogr)
    Streamlined process..kinda
    Process now works instead of not working
    New Downloads
    Updated directory
    Streamlined install process
    Attempted to make it more simplistic
    Now include proper way to install Samsung Apps
    Added downloads

XDA:DevDB Information
    Gear 2 on non Samsung Devices, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Gear 2

Contributors
    CarbonWyre, thesparky007, mpogr

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 1.4
    Beta Release Date: 2014-04-25

Created 2014-04-26
    Last Updated 2015-02-16
    Nexus 5 Stock KitKat and other AOSP 4.4.x ROM Variation

I have spent quite some time investigating why my Nexus 5 installation does not seem to go as smoothly as the OP's and other's HTC One M8 experience.

To the best of my knowledge, the AOSP / Kit Kat 4.4.x system have changed their policy with respect to granting system level rights to apks. It is no longer sufficient to place an APK on the system partition, it must be in the /system/priv-app subdirectory. Because of this, when apps tried to install/download additional packages they either failed (silently) or popped up an install dialog box because INSTALL_PACKAGES and DELETE_PACKAGES permissions are denied.

When I installed SamsungApps to priv-app, all three automatic downloads (Samsung Billing, In App Purchasing, and Push Service) all seemlessly installed. However, when these dependent apks install, they are placed into /data/app, a non-system location so any call to a signatureOrSystem permission will be denied.

I was hoping that if I moved the Gear Manager app to /system/priv-app *before* running it the first time, that it would take care of all ten or so dependent apks. But as it turns out, it only installs about four or five automatically and it can sometimes get hung trying to install an apk, but never finishes.

So in the end, here is my variation on the OP's original procedure.

1. Download:
    Code:

A. Samsungservice
    B. Samsung Apps
    C. S-Voice_Android_Phone
    D. GearManagerStub
    E. S-Voiced_Signed

2. Move Samsung Apps, S-Voice_Signed, SamsungService, and GearManagerStub to /system/priv-app
    Code:

A. Long press on the app
    B. Press "Properties"

5. Restart Phone
    7. Go into /System/priv-app and delete S Voice
    8. Move S-Voice_Android_Phone to /System/priv-app and correct permissions
    9. Restart Phone
    12. Open Samsung Apps
    14. Open Gear Manager
    15. Connect to Device (Connection will fail since dependent apks are not installed so cancel.)

16. Manually install Connecting-Fix apk (from OP download or from Gear Manager APK that you downloaded)
    • ConnectionManager,
    • HostManager,
    • SAFTCore,
    • SAFotoProicder,
    • SAccessoryService,
    • Gear2Plugin,
    • goproviders,
    • SANotiProvider,
    • SANSyncProvider,
    • saproviders,
    • SAWeatherProvider (won't install),
    • TextTemplateProvider

17. Re-open Gear Manager, sync, accept terms.

18. Install "/system/app mover" from play store, launch and grant root.

19. Reboot - precaution to clear out running apps

20. Use /system/app mover to move the following APKs to /system/priv-app. After selecting each apk and are asked if you want to reboot now, press cancel, until you get to the final apk, then reboot your phone.
    • Gear Manager
    • Gear2Plugin
    • Samsung Billing
    • HostManager

These last four APKs all contain INSTALL_PACKAGES and DELETE_PACKAGES in their manifest and were highly likely to require system level permissions. Some of the other APKs contain "non third-party" permissions and could be candidates for promotion, but I have not gone that far yet.

With this approach I can
    • Install Samsung watch apps
    • Uninstall watch apps without Gear2Plugin force closing
    • Pay for Samsung watch apps with credit card

Hopefully as Samsung moves into the new versions of Android, later versions of both Samsung Apps and Gear Manager will install dependent apks in better locations.

P.S. S-voice still does not work for me.
    Any suggestions?
    For who wants to downgrade the Gear Manager app, this is the Gear Manager v2.1.14071502, whit all the add-ons included. Please tell me if works.

Download Link: https://mega.co.nz/#!dpJg3BSI!CbCSnpqTy2_FYV1JgRtZktddbLMF0h3IKceSCQQXtb0
    Working/non-working summary

Guys, I should probably elaborate on what is and isn't working in terms of integrated Gear/phone functions:
    That's it more or less. I didn't check "WatchOn" remote control app, but I read somewhere someone tested it and found working.

@CarbonWyre: you probably would like to add these to the tutorial