[Q] Corrupted Data folder after Titanium restore 4.4 softbrick

Search This thread

theqwertman

Feb 3, 2013
Hey everyone,

My situation sounds pretty similar to what's described in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1840030

"there is a risk of the /system and /data partitions not wiping correctly thus leading them to be formatted with R/O permissions rather than R/W. This makes it impossible for the phone to boot up because no data can be written. Not even a typical ODIN flash back to stock or rooted stock will fix this."

I was prepared to follow the instructions, but have read around about permanent bricking or bootloader locking by downgrading after having upgraded to 4.3, so I'm seeking advice. Unfortunately, I'm not certain which bootloader/chain/modem/whatever I'm using right now.

The Source of the Problem
  • I was on the latest stable CM11
  • I upgraded to M7 using TWRP
    • The Google Apps were constantly crashing. I didn't realize I had upgraded to 4.4 from 4.3, so my first instinct was not to flash a newer gapps package. I did a factory reset followed by a ROM flash (same M7 package).
  • Booted successfully this time. Flashed gapps, downloaded Titanium.
  • Restored previous ID with Titanium and installed Super SU (don't remember what order).
    • Normal method failed for Super SU, so I used TWRP.
  • Installed a bunch of apps, tweaked a bunch of settings.
  • Restored things from Titanium. Rebooted. Bootloop.
    • Factory Reset (or maybe cleared cache+dalvik, don't remember) which resulted in "E:/error opening '/data/lost+found'" about thirty times in a row
    • Found this thread, followed mitchallica's instructions: http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/help/solved-e-error-data-lost-factory-reset-t2147501 which must have been a bad idea since he described having one l+f file, wheras I had duplicate directories
    • When trying to create the lost+found directory, it ended up creating the same thirty or so I had just deleted. It was impossible to create just one. I deleted it and rebooted to recovery.
  • This is where things get fuzzy. I performed a barrage of flashes, wipes, permission fixes, and tried a few times unsuccessfully to create the lost+found using the recovery terminal

What Doesn't Work
  • Normal boot lands on CM boot animation, remains there indefinitely (bootloop)
  • Factory Reset, Restore, Terminal Commands, and File Manager navigation that involve /data result in half second hang followed by reboot.

What Does Work!
I'm able to boot into recovery and download mode. I'm able to connect to ADB.

Current Stats That I Know Of
TWRP Version: 2.6.3.1
Last used Android version: 4.4.2