HTC replacing file when I try to delete it...?

Search This thread

Ghstudent

Mar 31, 2012
So, I finally figured out how to replace those dreadfully awful HTC emojis with the iPhone emojis...however, it involves deleting a file (/system/fonts/AndroidEmoji-htc.ttf). once this file is deleted, everything is fine and dandy. The HTC emojis are replaced by the stock google ones, which can then be replaced with the stock iPhone ones via an app. however, when you restart the phone for some reason AndroidEmoji-htc.ttf comes back. I have tried renaming to AndroidEmoji-htc.ttf.bak and renaming the AndroidEmoji.tff to AndroidEmoji-htc.ttf; neither of which worked. any ideas as to how I can stop this from happening? I'll buy whoever figures this out a beer. (I really don't like HTC's emojis...)

akitten007

May 3, 2011
I'm guessing your rooted, without s-off. If I'm correct, you need to disable the system protection HTC has put in. It is essentially the same as the external sd block kitkat has, but on the /system partition. If you search around, you can find a module in the regular m8 dev section that disables it. Or flash elementalx kernel. Or s-off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghstudent

Ghstudent

Mar 31, 2012
I'm guessing your rooted, without s-off. If I'm correct, you need to disable the system protection HTC has put in. It is essentially the same as the external sd block kitkat has, but on the /system partition. If you search around, you can find a module in the dev section that disables it. Or flash elementalx kernel. Or s-off.
When you say module, are you referencing an xposed module?

akitten007

May 3, 2011
I mean a kernel module, which are basically small plugins that kernels use. I cannot find the link right now as I am on my phone. But I recommend searching the MAIN m8 thread for removing system protection.

Reactions: Ghstudent

Ghstudent

Mar 31, 2012
I mean a kernel module, which are basically small plugins that kernels use. I cannot find the link right now as I am on my phone. But I recommend searching the MAIN m8 thread for removing system protection.
Okay, I downloaded elementalx kernel and am running it and I have tried numerous times to install s-off using firewater.. No success, could it be that the 4.4.3 update breaks current S-off methods?

akitten007

May 3, 2011
Okay, I downloaded elementalx kernel and am running it and I have tried numerous times to install s-off using firewater.. No success, could it be that the 4.4.3 update breaks current S-off methods?

I am not sure if firewater is compatible with the OTA because I already s-offed on 4.4.2. But if you have elementalx installed, the sys protection should be disabled. Just make sure the /system partition is set to write on your file manager, and try deleting the file.

PS: Removing any stock files with /system causes OTAs to fail. I recommend taking a stock backup, or make sure you download a stock backup so you don't have any OTA trouble. Just something to remember.

Ghstudent

Mar 31, 2012
I am not sure if firewater is compatible with the OTA because I already s-offed on 4.4.2. But if you have elementalx installed, the sys protection should be disabled. Just make sure the /system partition is set to write on your file manager, and try deleting the file.

PS: Removing any stock files with /system causes OTAs to fail. I recommend taking a stock backup, or make sure you download a stock backup so you don't have any OTA trouble. Just something to remember.
For some reason elementalx broke my root, any ideas on this?

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007

It always possible, and you should always look before making the OTA leap. See my comment #3 here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=55088843&postcount=5

Firewater hasn't worked on AT&T software for a while now. Sunshine has worked to this point (Android 4.4.2) but I'm not sure if anyone has tried with the new 4.4.3 update (software 2.23) yet.

Ghstudent

Mar 31, 2012

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Doesn't sunshine require a $25 donation?

Yes.

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

I see the OP has removed the write protection with ElementalX, but for others reading this thread, this is the kernel module being referred to: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701816

Although a custom kernel such as ElementalX will also work.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm guessing your rooted, without s-off. If I'm correct, you need to disable the system protection HTC has put in. It is essentially the same as the external sd block kitkat has, but on the /system partition. If you search around, you can find a module in the regular m8 dev section that disables it. Or flash elementalx kernel. Or s-off.