How to force 3G Only?

Search This thread

knickfan5745

Oct 20, 2010
On my Samsung Phone's there was usually a USSD code you could put in to force 3G. My phone will often switch to 2g when there is only 0-1 bars of 3G but I want it to stay on 3G. Any ideas on how to do this on a non-rooted U.S. Moto G?

knickfan5745

Oct 20, 2010
As far as I can tell, that only changes the preferred network mode. It will still fall back to 2G if there is no 3G. I want 3G only, no switching back and forth.

knickfan5745

Oct 20, 2010
As soon as I type it in it disapears and no menu pops up. I'm in KitKat OTA. That code did used to work on my Samsung though.

kieranc88

Oct 1, 2012
manchester
As soon as I type it in it disapears and no menu pops up. I'm in KitKat OTA. That code did used to work on my Samsung though.

Are you rooted? Because if you are install xposed framework and then gravitybox,in gravity box you can add quick tiles,one if those quick tiles is a network mode tile and you can enable 2g,3g or both

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Are you rooted? Because if you are install xposed framework and then gravitybox,in gravity box you can add quick tiles,one if those quick tiles is a network mode tile and you can enable 2g,3g or both

But depending on your network,will you not lose signal completely when on 3g mode only?, as networks use 2g as a backup for when 3g signal drops,

Reactions: knickfan5745

knickfan5745

Oct 20, 2010

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

But depending on your network,will you not lose signal completely when on 3g mode only?, as networks use 2g as a backup for when 3g signal drops,

Yes I know it will lose network sometimes, I'm ok with that.

I am not rooted. I moved to vanilla android so I wouldn't have to root and change roms. Can I root this phone without reinstalling?

Download phone testing by diewland go phone setting then choose wcdma preferred or wcdma only

Sent from my XT1034 using xda app-developers app

That looks like exactly the menu *#*#4646#*#* does (which isn't working for some reason as a USSD Code.). Perfect, thank you. :D

kieranc88

Oct 1, 2012
manchester
Yes I know it will lose network sometimes, I'm ok with that.

I am not rooted. I moved to vanilla android so I wouldn't have to root and change roms. Can I root this phone without reinstalling?

That looks like exactly the menu *#*#4646#*#* does (which isn't working for some reason as a USSD Code.). Perfect, thank you. :D
No,it would wipe your phone once you unlock your boot loader to begin the root process

Reactions: knickfan5745

pankspj

Jan 11, 2014
help pls

could you explain what to do step by step please..because when I open it it says GSM only i change it to WCDMA prefered but i can not save it.
I bought a MOTO G yesterday and I can not use the 3g at all..I am in Greece
thk you very much!!

Last edited:

serophia

Feb 8, 2013
California
could you explain what to do step by step please..because when I open it it says GSM only i change it to WCDMA prefered but i can not save it.
thk you very much!!

Change to WCDMA preferred and go home screen it should save automatically also did you buy the global version or US version? If you buy US Version you'll only get 2G. If you have the Global version check your apn to see if its correct.

el77xamino

Mar 15, 2012
thk you very much!!
you should check the apn first, i have same problem with you (i live in indonesia), then i correct my apn as my operator suggest then it's fine.
if you're sure your apn is correct, then you can force your phone to works in 3g only.
download this
Code:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=diewland.testing.phone
, install it, open and select wcdma only. then your phone should only works in 3g.

pankspj

Jan 11, 2014
you should check the apn first, i have same problem with you (i live in indonesia), then i correct my apn as my operator suggest then it's fine.
if you're sure your apn is correct, then you can force your phone to works in 3g only.
download this
Code:
, install it, open and select wcdma only. then your phone should only works in 3g.

Thank you for your answer..I bought the global version..I changed the SIM card cause it was 7 years old..and followed your instructions..it worked like a charm!
again thank you for your time and knowledge..greedings from Greece and a happy new year to you and your loved ones!

d@vo

Apr 21, 2012
Way I can't get the H symbol, only 3g

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

BentCleanson

Feb 9, 2012
Reykjavík
download this
Code:

Hi. My friend just bought the global version of Moto g. We live in Iceland, Europe.. Iceland has the same bands that Moto g supports, 850-900-1900-2100... But 3g is not working at all....

APN is correct and we've tried this app you recommended. If we force wcdma nothing happens.

3g is on in settings/more/mobile networks..

He's on 4.4.2

Please some advice :) Thank you..

Edited : It was after all a US GSM ?

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
May 19, 2014
Ahmedabad
It workd perfect for me *#*#4636#*#*

HI,

USSD code *#*#4636#*#* worked perfect for me to select the network mode, friends you are requested to share more commands if you have, am keen to know more android USSd codes.

hsanjay19

Jul 2, 2013
Forcing 3G only

Hi guys! I have Zenfone 4.5 (A450CG) which I bought in Russia. When I go to testing mode there is no "Phone information" so how can I toggle 3G only? Any ideas? Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    if *#*#4636#*#* works then go in phone information and Set preferred network type to wcdma only
    (this must be done at every boot)

alessandro
    Download phone testing by diewland go phone setting then choose wcdma preferred or wcdma only

Sent from my XT1034 using xda app-developers app
    If your phone running 4.4.2 then go to settings->more->mobile networks->network mode
    yes

If your phone running 4.4.2 then go to settings->more->mobile networks->network mode

and I think the same or similar way to do that is in 4.3