[MOD] Webtop Via HDMI Without a Dock

Search This thread

waffleb051

Jul 21, 2010
Redding
flashed the zip and it worked like a charm. So well infact i am typing this on Webtop

Edit: No terminal, I tried ctrl alt t and got an error

Last edited:
Reactions: them0nk

runandhide05

Apr 3, 2011
Works for me, using deodex rom, I just used the cwm zip method

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA Premium App

mistawolfe

Nov 21, 2010
This is sick. I messed up the initial display configurations and now want it to shrink to screen. I can't seem to find those settings anymore. Anyone help?

Sent from my 61 inch Bionic ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda premium

branshaw09

Nov 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Didnt work for me. Now that I think about it though, I initially bought the HD dock and returned it due to not having the webtop available when I docked it. I thought it was something wrong with the dock, but I'm wondering now if it's something wrong with my phone? Would the type of TV matter, I have Samsung HDTV with HDMI? I have the official Moto HDMI cable as well.

mistawolfe

Nov 21, 2010
Didnt work for me. Now that I think about it though, I initially bought the HD dock and returned it due to not having the webtop available when I docked it. I thought it was something wrong with the dock, but I'm wondering now if it's something wrong with my phone? Would the type of TV matter, I have Samsung HDTV with HDMI? I have the official Moto HDMI cable as well.

I have a Samsung HD - works fine.

Also, bump for my question. Display settings anyone?

EDIT: Couldn't see the settings menu due to my display, but did some ghost hovering and found it.

Last edited:

branshaw09

Nov 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I have a Samsung HD - works fine.

Also, bump for my question. Display settings anyone?

EDIT: Couldn't see the settings menu due to my display, but did some ghost hovering and found it.

Thanks. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my phone then for the webtop. Maybe I'll swing into a store and see if it will work on one of their docks.

runandhide05

Apr 3, 2011
Thanks. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my phone then for the webtop. Maybe I'll swing into a store and see if it will work on one of their docks.

I was just about to suggest that u swing into a store and see if it will work on a lapdock or something

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA Premium App

J

justinisloco

I don't mean to sound like a newb or anything stupid, but what exactly does this do? I assume that I could connect it to an HDTV and show up with lapdock mode, but then how do I type and switch around icons?

and how to I flash the .zip? just put in my root of the SD and go to clockwork and flash it?

Fenny

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 28, 2007
F(x)tec Pro1-X
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I don't mean to sound like a newb or anything stupid, but what exactly does this do? I assume that I could connect it to an HDTV and show up with lapdock mode, but then how do I type and switch around icons?

and how to I flash the .zip? just put in my root of the SD and go to clockwork and flash it?

As for input, It gives you an onscreen touchpad, and keyboard.

And, yes. That is about the size of it for flashing. :)

harpdoc

Aug 1, 2008
First off, this mod works perfectly. Thanks for making it and sharing it with us, Fenny!

That said, I hate Webtop mode. Using the Bionic in "mirror" mode is like having a super fast computer. My browsers fly, you can edit documents easily (I use Documents To Go), and the device feels powerful.

Using Webtop mode is like using a crappy, old, slow computer. I honestly don't see anything that you can do in this mode that you can't do without it. :(

What am I missing?

waffleb051

Jul 21, 2010
Redding
Didn't mean to thank... fumbled phone when trying to quote...

At any rate, what keyboard are you using?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Just the keyboard you get when you plug it into the adapter. It was an error from Gnome I well try and screen shot it when I get home

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App

larsdennert

Dec 5, 2007
Argh. Using the onscreen phone controls My mouse jumps like wild ferret and push a button on the keyboard and get something totally different. Its unusable.

tallnerd1985

Dec 8, 2008
Vancouver, WA
First off, this mod works perfectly. Thanks for making it and sharing it with us, Fenny!

That said, I hate Webtop mode. Using the Bionic in "mirror" mode is like having a super fast computer. My browsers fly, you can edit documents easily (I use Documents To Go), and the device feels powerful.

Using Webtop mode is like using a crappy, old, slow computer. I honestly don't see anything that you can do in this mode that you can't do without it. :(

What am I missing?

In its current state, it sucks balls but there are hacks that bring back some Ubuntu Linux functionality. Over time, once everything is figured out, you can transform Webtop into a fully functional desktop computer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Versatile1

Aug 29, 2011
Texoma
This is sick. I messed up the initial display configurations and now want it to shrink to screen. I can't seem to find those settings anymore. Anyone help?

Sent from my 61 inch Bionic ;)

Did you try adjusting the over scan option in the settings menu under HDMI?

-Motorola Droid
-Motorola Droid X²
-Motorola Droid Bionic

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have enough confirmations that I can now confirm this is working, and have made a flashable zip install method for those less technical of us.

What this mod does:
    It removes the device ID string check from PortalApp, and enables the webtop option in DockService. Replacing these two apk files effectively allows the webtop to launch without proprietary hardware.

What this means to you:
    Webtop mode over any HDMI without an expensive dock.

Installation:

Method 1: Flashable ZIP

Method 2: ADB install
    Download the package here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=734235&d=1317262181
    First Get the files to the device and remount /system as rw:
    Code:
    adb push DockService.apk /mnt/sdcard/
    adb push PortalApp.apk /mnt/sdcard/
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Backup the original files:
    Code:
    mv /system/app/DockService.odex /system/app/DockService.odex.bak
    mv /system/app/PortalApp.odex /system/app/PortalApp.odex.bak
    cp /system/app/DockService.apk /system/app/DockService.apk.bak
    cp /system/app/PortalApp.apk /system/app/PortalApp.apk.bak

Copy the modded files over fix permissions and reboot:
    Code:
    cp /mnt/sdcard/DockService.apk /system/app
    cp /mnt/sdcard/PortalApp.apk /system/app
    chmod 644 /system/app/DockService.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/PortalApp.apk
    reboot
    Thanks to:
    TopazAaron - For catching a typo in my install script.

Appreciate my work? Buy Me a Beer:

I did this.

waiting for my bro to let me use the hdmi cable.

btw i couldnt get system to mount with tho command.
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    i had to use
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    Make a flashable zip now :)

Also, don't try to do this with root explorer. You'll get force closes without "Portal.apk" :eek:
    Just flashed the .zip and plugged in my HDMI. Nothing happened.

Do you have ADB set up, can you post a logcat log?
    flashed the zip and it worked like a charm. So well infact i am typing this on Webtop

Edit: No terminal, I tried ctrl alt t and got an error