[MOD] - Faves Button Remapped for 2.2 Espresso Sense

Search This thread

the1wingedangel

Feb 27, 2009
[Info]:

Alright, as requested here is a remap of the silly faves button on the espresso launcher. This is from the CR_Mod 2.2 espresso build. However it should work fine with any rooted 2.2 non-odexed espresso.

This will allow you to re map it to open any app installed on your phone, or various system settings, or open a quick launch box with a selection of 8 or so apps. I did this method over on the G2 forums as it is easier than mapping to each individual app requested - not to mention even better since you can remap it any time on the fly.

You MUST have the launchkey app installed. It is available on the forums for free here, or better yet, help the developer out and buy the one on the market for a mere 0.65 cents. It's dirt cheap and it has more options!

[How To]:

Install the launchkey app from above
Grab the attached file below
Boot into recovery
adb shell mount /system
adb shell rm /system/app/Rosie.apk
adb push [your saved file location]\Rosie_espresso2.2_custom.apk /system/app/Rosie.apk​
Reboot

Attachments

• Rosie_espresso2.2_custom.apk
    897 KB · Views: 103

migueltherocker

Jun 19, 2010
Miami
Thanks dude!

Edit: Any way to change the icon to the one of the app, or at least back to the default faves one?

Last edited:

televate

May 22, 2009
OnePlus 8T
So how exactly do you change the icon afterwards? I mapped the button to the Browser, but it has the standard menu button on there.

elry567

Jan 7, 2011
Don't think it will work on CRmod froyo because it.is deodexed

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

tKoHaXoR

Aug 5, 2010
LA
It works, both CR_MOD 2.13.xxx and this version are deodexed meaning they are compatible without any issues!

elry567

Jan 7, 2011
Ohh ok imma give it a try hehe

televate

May 22, 2009
OnePlus 8T
So how do you map the button to show the icon of the program its set to?

petraman

Nov 13, 2010
Granville, OH
Works like a charm! Thanks a bunch! I know beggars can't be choosers, but is there any way to set up launchkey so that you don't have to long-press the button?
Oh, and if anyone's wondering, I'm running CM 6.1

Last edited:

the1wingedangel

Feb 27, 2009
For those looking to change the icon, I changed it to a generic one, but you can change it to any icon you wish. No, it will not adjust its own icon, as there is no way for sense to do that. Here is what you need to do:
-Create the icon.
-Replace the one in the res/drawable-normal/icon_add_rest.png with the one you made.
-Push the rosie back to your phone, and you're good :D

i think this is a different way of remapping the faves button, hopefully someone finds a way like they did on the last CR OTA

No, this is the same way that I did it with the 2.1 CR OTA. Only this time I mapped it to an app that launches other apps :) I had started doing individual mappings with specific icons, however everyone wants a different app. Even something simple like mapping it to the browser ends up with 3 or 4 different possibilities because people use after market browsers.

Works like a charm! Thanks a bunch! I know beggars can't be choosers, but is there any way to set up launchkey so that you don't have to long-press the button?
Oh, and if anyone's wondering, I'm running CM 6.1

I'm confused here :confused:

If you're not on ESPRESSO SENSE, how does it work like a charm? Did you think this thread was about the launchkey app specifically? Did you think I made launchkey.apk? Did you think this mod was for CM6.1?

This mod will only work on espresso 2.2. If you're on CM, this MOD will not work, only the APP will work. The APP (LaunchKey.apk), as is linked in the OP, is made by someone else, not me. Requests to the function of the app may be directed at him. I merely edited the code in Rosie.apk so that it launches the app instead of Faves.

petraman

Nov 13, 2010
Granville, OH
Yes I know, but after I pushed rosie.apk the genius button launches the app I set up, like it should. I must have read the thread wrong, and for that I apologize, but there's no need to be hostile/angered/annoyed or whatever. The fact is, it worked. Thanks for the mod regardless.

petraman

Nov 13, 2010
Granville, OH
Uhmm I had a real dumbass moment... this is for something COMPLETELY different yet surprisingly worked for what I wanted it to do. Genius button =/= faves button, got it. I'm going to hide in a corner now, haha

the1wingedangel

Feb 27, 2009
Nobody is angry or annoyed. I just asked what i thought were possibilities, because I find it hard to follow the train of thought with out answers. That aside, you are correct this is for remapping faves button. I'm also confused as to why you pushed rosie on a CM rom?

petraman

Nov 13, 2010
Granville, OH
Because I've owned my slide for only two months and have absolutely no clue what rosie.apk is, haha. I'm an engineer, not a computer programmer, I just dabble in these things and learn as I go

the1wingedangel

Feb 27, 2009
Because I've owned my slide for only two months and have absolutely no clue what rosie.apk is, haha. I'm an engineer, not a computer programmer, I just dabble in these things and learn as I go

Ah, I see. Well thats why I asked! Answer the questions, or ask your own, and I'll help out.

To keep it simple and short -

The sense user interface, made by htc, is the biggest version of android next to vanilla (just basic google android). However because of the extensive changes to the system framework that they did, the sense specific apps (with a very few exceptions) will not work on vanilla android. However, its a one way street, just about all vanilla apps work fine on sense roms.

The 'espresso' ui (what the mytouch slide ships with) is just a slightly smaller/modified version of the regular sense ui, with only a few changes, and follows the same restrictions.

CM roms are based off of the vanilla roms with tons of changes and modifications.

So.. Rosie.apk, what this thread is modifing, is the sense ui's launcher (home screen) and therefore does not work on vanilla (CM) roms. Its only for those still running rooted versions of the stock rom.

Reactions: petraman

petraman

Nov 13, 2010
Granville, OH
Simple enough, thanks for the info. I've been trying to get into the more nitty/gritty side of Android. I've already started brushing up on my Java to fool around with some programming, but it's kinda hard when you have absolutely no experience with linux! It helps to have people like you who are willing to take the time to explain to a noob like me what I'm doing wrong, haha.

Oh, btw, sorry for hijacking your thread...

t_bone77

Aug 31, 2010
works also with odexed Standard-Rom

Works like a Charm also with Standard odexed 2.2 Rom! Thanks a lot!

greetings

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Info]:

Alright, as requested here is a remap of the silly faves button on the espresso launcher. This is from the CR_Mod 2.2 espresso build. However it should work fine with any rooted 2.2 non-odexed espresso.

This will allow you to re map it to open any app installed on your phone, or various system settings, or open a quick launch box with a selection of 8 or so apps. I did this method over on the G2 forums as it is easier than mapping to each individual app requested - not to mention even better since you can remap it any time on the fly.

You MUST have the launchkey app installed. It is available on the forums for free here, or better yet, help the developer out and buy the one on the market for a mere 0.65 cents. It's dirt cheap and it has more options!

[How To]:

Install the launchkey app from above
    Grab the attached file below
    Boot into recovery
    adb shell mount /system
    adb shell rm /system/app/Rosie.apk
    adb push [your saved file location]\Rosie_espresso2.2_custom.apk /system/app/Rosie.apk​
    Reboot

Ah, I see. Well thats why I asked! Answer the questions, or ask your own, and I'll help out.

To keep it simple and short -

The sense user interface, made by htc, is the biggest version of android next to vanilla (just basic google android). However because of the extensive changes to the system framework that they did, the sense specific apps (with a very few exceptions) will not work on vanilla android. However, its a one way street, just about all vanilla apps work fine on sense roms.

The 'espresso' ui (what the mytouch slide ships with) is just a slightly smaller/modified version of the regular sense ui, with only a few changes, and follows the same restrictions.

CM roms are based off of the vanilla roms with tons of changes and modifications.

So.. Rosie.apk, what this thread is modifing, is the sense ui's launcher (home screen) and therefore does not work on vanilla (CM) roms. Its only for those still running rooted versions of the stock rom.