[Q] New Update

Search This thread

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Can someone grab the ota and post it? It can be modified to update w/out breaking root.

GDofWR420

May 3, 2011
Why so quick to update? Is the system that unstable on the s5?

Risk your root for a little security fix and stability. I think not. Why not just ask a dev if they can get you current rom stable with a update made by someone not trying to screw you around...... ATT.......

lyall29

Apr 4, 2011
Arkadelphia, AR
A guy in the comments, on the Android Central post about this update, said that he took the OTA and it did not break root.

I'm still kind of scared to do it though.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Risk your root for a little security fix and stability. I think not. Why not just ask a dev if they can get you current rom stable with a update made by someone not trying to screw you around...... ATT.......

That's what everyone should do.

MrByte

Oct 4, 2007
I tried to update...and it failed after rebooting. Not sure if it is because of root. I have nothing else customized... I think.

82801BA

Dec 22, 2007
I am aware that G900F NF/NG firmware enables VoLTE in S5. Not sure if the NG firmware for G900A does that also.

Intub8

Mar 3, 2012
Got this from att.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB424848&cv=820&_requestid=1973919#fbid=E1q_he5sQIk

Update summary**

AT&T released a software update for the Samsung Galaxy S 5 (G900A) on August 28, 2014. The update is available to customers to download via Firmware Over the Air (FOTA). Wi-Fi is required for update and the file size is 142.8MB.

What's changing?

Security updates and patchesApplication installation enhancementsAccidental emergency dial fixed on the lock screenSeveral lower layer modem crashes and sluggishness improvement enhancementsE-mail UX enhancementsS-View cover errorRe-activation lock improvements

Verifying the update

Drag down the notification bar, and tap the*SettingsScroll to the "System" category, and tap*About deviceThe following information displays:Android versionBaseband versionKernel versionBuild number

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium HD app

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
A guy in the comments, on the Android Central post about this update, said that he took the OTA and it did not break root.

I'm still kind of scared to do it though.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

That's what everyone should do.

The update is just about guaranteed to break root.

aeegier

Jun 28, 2011
Mine isn't even rooted and won't update same error

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

diehardbattery

Apr 23, 2011
Houston
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
My wife's S5 successfully took the update but the kernel version is Jul 22nd, so this will most likely break root or at the very least break towelroot...

d782948c7ffbe5b3295ff4bba9ccd8b5.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

Can you pull the update from the cache/fota folder and upload?

I did some cleaning after and the cache got wiped.. sorry :(
Hey, I re downloaded it and uploaded it to my Google Drive...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1GKBiow1mQvR0sxUE5MemNQSUk/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Reactions: muniz_ri

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

But in order to get to NG3 I'll have to take the ND3 OTA first right? I don't see why it is failing this time when it didn't the first time I made it.

Anyways, I'm downloading the .tar you linked me to and I'm willing to test it, but the download is a bit slow for me. If someone could test it earlier and give feedback would be appreciated.

No, once you are back on nce the ota update will skip nd3 and update directly to ng3. But you can sideload the nd3 update and that should work fine like before.
    No, once you are back on nce the ota update will skip nd3 and update directly to ng3. But you can sideload the nd3 update and that should work fine like before.

Flashed the .tar file. Everything went perfectly, no factory reset needed. Going to take the OTA now.

EDIT: Took the OTA, everything went perfect, now con NG3. THANK YOU!
    The update is just about guaranteed to break root.

I think it will too. It's just that this guy claims that he updated while being rooted and still has root after the update. Maybe he's trying to pull a fast one on us.
    I'm running Dynamic Kat anyway, so there is no way I'm taking a chance at not being able to flash safe strap again.
    With app quarantine I was only able to disable AT&T software update, Locat FOTA

FWUpgrade, Samsung Push service and Security policy updates are not listed. Maybe a different name for them?

And is the cache update located on the root of the phone>cache folder? It's empty for mines.
    In App Q, change the Filter settings to show all apps, turn on advanced mode and check System Services.