[WIP] Locus - Home Replacement

Search This thread

DanManners

Jan 23, 2009
North Arlington, NJ
Updated March 29, 2010 12:51 AM EST

Will be posting actual links when my account gets verified.

Figured I'd post about this here. I've already posted this at alldroid, but I figured I'd post about it here too.

Since November 6th, the day of my getting a Droid, I have been searching with many others on how to get the best functionality out of my Droid. Recently on Engadget, I stumbled across the 'Locus OS' concept.

Now, as of now, there is not a ton of substantial work towards this as a home screen, but I hope to change that. I am currently in contact with Barton Smith on how we could port the fundamental ideas or Locus OS towards a 100% user-friendly, lovable interface that you WANT to use!

For anyone who doesn't know what Locus OS is:

Code:
LOCUS OS
LOCATION BASED OPERATING SYSTEM

- Multiple widget desktops designed around a location or activity ie Kitchen, Office, Car
- Automatically switches between desktops with GPS and wi-fi mapping
- Simplified Collections menu allows browsing via function rather than application

So the idea is simple, unique, and helpful: Geo-tagged locations that would (if desired) change your home screen accordingly to where you are (Not just 3-7 home screens, but MULTIPLE 3 page home screens with separate functions and uses).

I have the idea of (for now) a 4+ 'panel' Home screen, consisting of Home, Work, Social, and one fully customizable screen (by default). Each ‘panel’ would have 3 home-like screens, scrollable and automatically sized for multiple device compatibility, and each 'panel' would have a base set of widgets, obviously user changeable and whatnot. Each 'panel' would have its own background along with the ability to have a different, individual feel to it.

And if anyone has any ideas/would like to contribute anything towards this project, all help is welcome.

I'm going to post the mockups I have right now up on AllDroid once my account gets verified by the moderators.

-Dan

`mods

Mar 21, 2010
Interesting concept. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.