Best browser

Search This thread

tummytom10

Mar 26, 2012
What browser do you use and why?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
I keep switching between Boat, ICS+, Dolphin, Maxthon...
They all work and they all kind of suck too.

Maybe web browsing on android is just a pain in the butt.
It's the same on my wife's tablet...
Pick one...all the browsers freak out in varying degrees.

I realize this is a non-answer.
Good luck finding a smooth non crashing browser.

Sent from somewhere...

kingo08

Feb 22, 2010
I use the stock browser and it is pretty much faster after I install (Browser2ram) (( need root ))

mouse100

Sep 20, 2010
I use boat that it's perfect and chrome only for Facebook full site.

Inviato dal mio ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T con Tapatalk 2

rambling1

Jan 22, 2010
I've tried Chrome, Firefox Beta, Dolphin and ICS+ and went back to stock. As was previously said each one has its issues. Even on my HOX none of them works perfectly. When I set my CPU governor to Performance then the stock browser is as good if not better than the rest.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
+1 for Boat - very fast, and very stable (I don't have *any* crashing issues with Boat). Still get the occasional web site that just doesn't work right, even with Boat, but it's the best I've found. Dolphin seems pretty good as well.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

wpbear

Nov 27, 2006
Columbus, GA
Dolphin because of the Lastpass plugin. Can't live without Lastpass, but I am sure Dolphin as a browser isnt the best, I wish other browsers would add it.

redheadplantguy

May 10, 2011
Louisville KY
What browser do you use and why?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app
I like ICS+. The quick controls are convenient, but the main reason i stick with it is when Google imported my hundreds of bookmarks into it, all of them were still organized into all the folders and subfolders i spent HOURS on reorganizing. All the other browsers i have tried so far, just dump them all in with no organization at all. Just 200 something bookmarks plopped at your feet.

d14b0ll0s

Sep 4, 2011
FireFox seems to be getting better, too. It's out of beta stage now.
I'm using Chrome for syncing bookmarks / open tabs with my PC, but it can be done with FF as well now, I believe.

timrock

Dec 10, 2010
I like Dolphin. It had everything i need. Boat is great, but i keep going back to Dolphin.

d14b0ll0s

Sep 4, 2011
I don't like apps spying on me, so I don't like these two, but we had a discussion on that already in the best apps sticky thread a while ago, and jtrosky will beat the hell out of me for spoiling browsing fun by saying this, so I need to keep quiet.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

non1oson

Feb 14, 2012
does firefox sync with your home PC favorites? tool bar favorites etc? is there an app that does this? browser app that is

HoushaSen

Jul 10, 2012
does firefox sync with your home PC favorites? tool bar favorites etc? is there an app that does this? browser app that is

Firefox does have sync ability.

Chrome and Stock browser both sync to your desktop bookmarks.

Browsing on Infinity is one of the weakness and hope to be improved aspect. Some one in this thread mentioned possibility of all browser sucks on android, which is NOT true. I had different tablet and its browsing experience was superior to iPad 2 for its speed, stability.

Also there is this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.h.chromemarks&hl=en, which allows you to launch any browser using chrome's bookmark.

Reactions: non1oson

Wauziohr

Nov 24, 2007
Mibile Firefox

I like to:good::laugh: work with Firefox on my Asus Tf700T. It works great and fast

Ghorin

Aug 8, 2012
Actually, I got my Infinity in july and right now the web experience is the main drawback experience so far. The lag and crash of the launcher is far less annoying that the slowness and lag of the web browsing. I have tested nearly all browsers and none is giving me good experience :
- stock browser : miss some functionalities, slow and laggy
- chrome : my prefered as i'm sharing my bookmarks with my personal computer, work computer and iphone but too slow and laggy
- firefox : looks nice and is doing bookmarks sync (but firefox does not exist for my iPhone), still beta version that deals very badly with plugins. For example when a page needs a flash player then it will display an ugly inside-window with "click here to activate the plugin" and that inside-window prevent any fast web browsing.
- others (boat, dolphin, opera ...) : not impressed, all miss the sync of chrome bookmarks (needed to have my bookmarks sync on all my platforms)

My hope is that Jelly Bean/next version of chrome will improve the stability and swiftness of that browser as this is the only one that contains all the functionnalities i need.

non1oson

Feb 14, 2012
hmm, I might wait for the asus vivo tab. I'm traveling before it gets released, so I'm gonna be pretty gutted not using it overseas :(

yaoops

Jun 2, 2012
.... I have tested nearly all browsers and none is giving me good experience....

Agreed..., sadly.

Though, if NoScript finally becomes available for FF then this will be a prime reason for me to stick to FF (beta or not,
not that much difference these days).

Quote Giorgio Maone on NSA for FF mobile (v 14+): "By the end of the summer."

see noscript.net/nsa

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The mind may be styrong, but the flesh is weak. One last reaction.

What I would accept as proof is seeing it for myself.

I do not think you are a relevant partaker in the dicussion, even if only for the fact that -- and I quote:

[...] I don't really care!) :)

But then again, hey, what do I know? Dealing with your next point, however, is easy.

But, at least then it would be more than someone just saying something and everyone accepting it as fact and then people can decide on their own if they are willing to deal with that factual information...

Again, only believing something when you witness it yourself, in my opinion, is the most useless criterion in technological issues (and one of the most useless criteria whatsoever) since it depends on expertise you might not have yourself.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/10/major-privacy-flaw-found-in-dolphin-hd-browser-for-android/
    http://www.androidauthority.com/dolphin-browser-hd-possibly-breaching-privacy-28822/
    http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...in-browser-your-privacy-may-be-at-risk-again/

These guys -- knowledgeable and all -- are all wrong?

See http://dolphin-browser.com/privacy/privacy-policy-for-dolphin-browser/ -- especially the section on receiving personal information from third-party sources. Interesting. In Holland we have a saying that runs "een vos verliest wel zijn haren, maar niet zijn streken" -- roughly translates as "a fox loses its hairs, but not pranks". Comes down to "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me"...

EDIT: Oh, and you used the rather silly argument "don't use Android if you don't want to be spied upon" before, and I've countered it before: Google has been upfront about their harvesting of data. Dolphin had not (or has not, given the phrasing in the EULA referenced above).

Firefox does have sync ability.

Chrome and Stock browser both sync to your desktop bookmarks.

Browsing on Infinity is one of the weakness and hope to be improved aspect. Some one in this thread mentioned possibility of all browser sucks on android, which is NOT true. I had different tablet and its browsing experience was superior to iPad 2 for its speed, stability.

Also there is this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.h.chromemarks&hl=en, which allows you to launch any browser using chrome's bookmark.
    Thread has been alive and kicking somewhere else on XDA. If you don't believe the package sniff that user did, what else might you be convinced with? Boat seems to be OK, though -- Dolphin was the culprit before. Let's go on-topic again, now, shall we?

Again, just because someone posts something on the internet, doesn't mean that it is a) true, b) is current information or c) that said data is being used to "spy" on someone. I just think "spy" is an awful strong term to use. Do some of these browsers "collect personal data"? I'm sure they do, but I personally think that they do it for reasons other than "spying" on people or for any reason other than trying to make the browsing experience more useful to the user. Besides, how do we know some of these posts are being fabricated by the authors of competing browsers? Unless you've personally watched what these browsers are doing, then how do you know the information is even accurate? I certainly haven't seen enough proof to call these apps "spyware".

I mean if we're not going to use apps that collect personal information, then we shouldn't be using Android at all - you don't think that Google collects personal information? I just don't believe that the authors of Boat or Dolphin "are out to get" anyone by "spying" on them - they are just trying to make the experience better for the end user, in my opinion.

I personally don't use Dolphin, but I haven't seen any real proof that Boat is "spying" on me. Until I see actual proof that Boat browsing is collecting personal information with the purpose of spying on me, then it's all speculation at this point. A post on the internet is not proof - we have no idea how accurate that information is. I'd be glad to install a packet sniffer and confront the author of either app if they really are "spying" on me (I may just do that anyway, just to see exactly what's going on myself).

This really isn't off-topic since the OP is specifically asking about browsers. I'm all for constructive conversation! Who knows, in the end, I may be proved completely wrong on the subject (it wouldn't be the first time!!)! :) Personally, I'd like to get to the bottom of these accusations once and for all.

To be honest, in my specific case, I really don't care if someone is keeping track of the sites I visit - if they are really that interested in what I'm doing, more power to them! But, I can understand why some may be concerned about this stuff (depending on what they do, etc).

Ok, privacy guru's - fire away! I'm hiding under a steel bunker waiting for the attack! :)

EDIT: by the way, when I originally asked the Boat author about all of the privacy concerns (granted, without any specific proof), here was his reply:
    -----------------------
    Hi,

The Boat Browser won't collect any private information about the users.

The data we collected including:

1."Release update" ---The user could change the check frequency in the settings. When the user open browser, we need to know if there is a new release available. We hope use could always get the latest stable release it they want.

2."Basic Statistics" We will collect the number of total installs by country, and the times of launch.

3."Force close log" When force close happens, we may need the log to know what's wrong with the Browser. But, please note that the log is all about the code, nothing with the users' information, for example:

java.lang.NullPointerException at com.boatbrowser.free.view.TitleBar.m(TitleBar.java:418) at com.boatbrowser.free.a.x(BaseUi.java:604) at com.boatbrowser.free.view.MyOverlayView.b(MyOverlayView.java:100) at com.boatbrowser.free.a.e(BaseUi.java:584) at com.boatbrowser.free.a.y(BaseUi.java:614) at com.boatbrowser.free.b.handleMessage(BaseUi.java:651) at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99) at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:130) at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:3691) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:507) at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:912) at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:670)

Thank you very much.
    -----------------------------

I realize that the author wouldn't come out and say "Yeah, we spy on you!", but just some information to add to the discussion....

Again, just [...] the discussion....

Point taken. However...

1) it's still unclear to me what information or 'proof' you'd need to be swayed (and to be honest, I do not believe you actually can be swayed).

2) I will happily give my views, and do not like to base them on unsubstantiated data either, but if you propose 'being a straight witness' as a criterion for legit proof, we can put all kinds of genocide (including large proportions of WWII), fraud, murder, etc. to the dustbin as well.

3) The issue at hand concerned Dolphin, not Boat, as I said before. You put forward one mail of a developer -- who, as far as I know, is irrelevant to the privacy issue -- as a 'proof' all developers are clean? Oh my, so far for being 'evidence-based.'

I am not a dogmatic type of person, so I'll just hook off here and let this thread be yours. Do your little dance.
    Hi guys,

I just got feedback from Boat Browser authors in regards to asking for location every time the browser starts:

"First, the add-on did not request location permission, you saw the permissions in app info is because the add-on share permissions of Browsers'

Second, Boat Browser integrated a 3rd analysis tool, just like Google Analysis.

The tool request location permission to tell us how many users from certain country, for example USA.

So we know there are 1000 users from USA, 200 from UK.

But we don't know who are you.

Please note that Boat Browser won't collect any private information from users, because that's means nothing to us, we are not Google :)

The data we collected including:

1."Release update" ---The user could change the check frequency in the settings.
    When the user open browser, we need to know if there is a new release available. We hope use could always get the latest stable release it they want.

2."Basic Statistics"
    We will collect the number of total installs by country, and the times of launch.

3."Force close log"
    When force close happens, we may need the log to know what's wrong with the Browser. But, please note that the log is all about the code, nothing with the users' information, for example:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.boatbrowser.free.view.TitleBar.m(TitleBar.java:418)
    at com.boatbrowser.free.a.x(BaseUi.java:604)
    at com.boatbrowser.free.view.MyOverlayView.b(MyOverlayView.java:100)
    at com.boatbrowser.free.a.e(BaseUi.java:584)
    at com.boatbrowser.free.a.y(BaseUi.java:614)
    at com.boatbrowser.free.b.handleMessage(BaseUi.java:651)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
    at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:130)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:3691)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:507)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:912)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:670)
    "