Question about AT&T release of Note 2

Search This thread

Techweed

Oct 7, 2012
Well they better know by Wednesday evening. This nonsense about keeping everyone in the dark until the last minute stinks of Apple and is one of the reasons I am leaving them. I can't be dealing with this nonsense with Samsung and AT&T too.

Milkman00

Jun 12, 2010
Tampa Bay, Florida
Well they better know by Wednesday evening. This nonsense about keeping everyone in the dark until the last minute stinks of Apple and is one of the reasons I am leaving them. I can't be dealing with this nonsense with Samsung and AT&T too.

Of course you assume that it is actually coming out on Wednesday or Thursday. :(

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

planoman

Nov 30, 2010
Plano, Texas
You got the phone on June 21st, but do you remember how soon before that they announced the pre-order?

It was a few weeks before. I think there may have been inventory issues or even Samsung's ability to supply the phones as it hit on all major carriers at the same time. Like I said, althought the Note 2 is a great phone, it will not be as in demand as the SGSIII. We should know more this week!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

COA4178

Apr 3, 2009
This is so not cool I want the note 2 badly!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using xda app-developers app

Milkman00

Jun 12, 2010
Tampa Bay, Florida
I really believe that most of my problems are with the Sprint Network, and not my old phone.

That said, I am thinking of getting the Sprint phone when it is released (tomorrow or Thursday), and just keeping that phone for 2 weeks and seeing how it works. If it sucks, return it in 2 weeks and get AT&T, and if it works, just keep it.

Sprint service seems to be "eh" in my area, but my problem could be my ancient Samsung Epic. AT&T has 4G in this area (no LTE), but Sprint is SUPPOSEDLY building LTE here. Do you guys see any potential problems with this plan?

iahk

Nov 21, 2010
That plan seems perfectly fine and it looks like we're in the same exact scenario. My huge issue with Sprint is the much less than stellar data network. I can't even pull up my facebook news feed on 3G without it timing out. On Nov. 9th, I'm porting out to ATT to get this device and taking both of my parents' lines with me. The only thing keeping me sane on Sprint right now is my Epic 4G Touch that still has wimax. I don't see LTE coming to Raleigh anytime soon on Sprint.

Milkman00

Jun 12, 2010
Tampa Bay, Florida
That plan seems perfectly fine and it looks like we're in the same exact scenario. My huge issue with Sprint is the much less than stellar data network. I can't even pull up my facebook news feed on 3G without it timing out. On Nov. 9th, I'm porting out to ATT to get this device and taking both of my parents' lines with me. The only thing keeping me sane on Sprint right now is my Epic 4G Touch that still has wimax. I don't see LTE coming to Raleigh anytime soon on Sprint.

I am just wondering what the catches are with Sprint and returning phones. That is the only thing that may have me just waiting until the 9th (and dying every day).

I don't even have Wimax in my area, and your phone is even newer than mine, so you can just imagine the hell I am living in. LTE is supposedly being built right now, but AT&T has HSPA today which would be far better than the POS 3G I get with Sprint.

Lastly, I looked this up, and thought you may find it interesting (although I am quite sure you knew of its existence).

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/...network-visionlte-deployment-schedule-update/

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I have it easier: I just bought the international note2 and don't have an upgrade with AT&T until something like 2014. About the only way I'll get the AT&T version of the phone is if they want to give me a (very, very early) upgrade price of 300.

Otherwise, I'd rather stick with the international (unlocked) version.

I'm also concerned about how samsung/at&t will screw up the US releases of the phone. I've yet to see samsung release something in the US that isn't somehow crippled, downgraded, etc.

Jmac823200

Jun 21, 2007
No LTE for you...

I have it easier: I just bought the international note2 and don't have an upgrade with AT&T until something like 2014. About the only way I'll get the AT&T version of the phone is if they want to give me a (very, very early) upgrade price of 300.

Otherwise, I'd rather stick with the international (unlocked) version.

I'm also concerned about how samsung/at&t will screw up the US releases of the phone. I've yet to see samsung release something in the US that isn't somehow crippled, downgraded, etc.

I'm sure it's cool to have it NOW but you are still missing LTE. Also the unlocking of these phone is fairly easy. (See: GalaxSim Unlock on the play Store).

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm sure it's cool to have it NOW but you are still missing LTE. Also the unlocking of these phone is fairly easy. (See: GalaxSim Unlock on the play Store).
LTE isn't a priority feature for me. My wife has the AT&T variation of the SGS3 (with LTE) and while I freely admit that her data speeds are (at least) 3-5 times faster than mine, it doesn't matter...

Sure, LTE is awesome for the speedtest app, but I've never had issue with non-LTE speeds (unless the phone has a poor signal, in which case I wouldn't be holding an LTE signal either.) Web browsing, push email, tapatalk, and everything else _I_ do on my phone feels just as fast regardless of LTE or not. There's only been one time in the past 2 months that I wished for LTE - and that was when downloading something huge from the play store when I wasn't on wifi. In that regard, for my usage, LTE is actually a negative as it drains the battery faster. (How much battery drain is a debate that can be saved for another thread.)

Of course, LTE might be much more valuable for other people.

The only way I'd take the AT&T LTE device over the international (non-LTE) would be if I got the LTE device for 300 or less, and if the AT&T phone wasn't crippled/downgraded the way a few other samsung devices on AT&T have been. (Huge example being the original Note.)

Yes, I'm paranoid... and with good reason.

achusaysblessyou

Sep 4, 2011
Berkeley, CA
How was the original Note downgraded so that I know what to look for.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

It, like the SGS3, both use Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets (S3 for the Note, and S4 for the SGS3) whereas the international versions were Exynos.

With the Note 2, Samsung has included both the Exynos of the international version and added LTE for the american carriers, so not very crippled.

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
With the Note 2, Samsung has included both the Exynos of the international version and added LTE for the american carriers, so not very crippled.
You have more faith in AT&Samsung than I do. I'm to the point where I just have to "wait and see." In theory, the AT&T variant should be hardware identical to the GT-N7105. However, for some reason, AT&T always manages to get things mucked up... even when the hardware is "nearly" identical (example: at&t's sgs2 vs international sgs2/i9100)

achusaysblessyou

Sep 4, 2011
Berkeley, CA
You have more faith in AT&Samsung than I do. I'm to the point where I just have to "wait and see." In theory, the AT&T variant should be hardware identical to the GT-N7105. However, for some reason, AT&T always manages to get things mucked up... even when the hardware is "nearly" identical (example: at&t's sgs2 vs international sgs2/i9100)

Well, the AT&T version will have Exynos and LTE... that's from Samsung back at their August event...

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Are they selling just 16gb version?

Who? I believe all carriers will have both 16GB and 32GB available. But for T-Mobile, at least, you can only get the 16GB in store and have to order the 32GB online.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You guys need to search. What I mentioned above is not new. Works with any international or unbranded att phone.
    No, it doesn't. AT&T has been doing IMEI sweeps recently and forcing i9300 (international sgs3) owners to tiered data, and has been doing the same for galaxy nexus devices for an even longer time.

I expect the same will happen with the n7100 soon after AT&T starts selling their version of the note2.

Some people are getting around it by putting their SIM in an old flip phone, calling AT&T and getting things reverted - but it appears that AT&T is re-sweeping every few weeks to catch even those people. There are some rare exceptions, but not too many.

Remember that as soon as any phone connects to an AT&T tower, AT&T logs the IMEI of the connecting device. The first 8 characters of the IMEI is the "TAC" which identifies the model and origin of the phone. (The remaining characters are a serial number and checksum.) Once the TACs are loaded into AT&T's own database, they can easily identify what type of phone your using on their network.

Gary
    I am just curious how AT&T has handled new releases of phones in the past (big announcements like the S3, iPhone, etc.)

Did they announce well in advance, the day before, or what??
    Do they have ample supplies of the new phone in their stores on release day (obviously the iPhone is an exception, but what about a phone like this).

I am on Sprint now and want to get on AT&T BADLY, so I am hoping that I am not going to have to wait long amounts of time.

EDIT

AT&T will be Nov 9th, $300 on contract. Source:
    http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?p...ticleid=35523&mapcode=consumer|mobile-devices
    Given the mess that AT&T made with the SGS3 launch, no one has any idea. In that particular case, they never OFFICIALLY announced a launch date, and then kept unofficially pushing back the date that they never actually announced.

People who made pre-orders for the phone 3 weeks before the unofficial launch date got their phones a couple days after they were originally promised (and in at least one case I know of - it was a full 2 weeks after.)

Actual AT&T corporate stores were kept completely in the dark with no official announcements, and lots of unofficial rumors.

Perhaps, becaue of that disaster, they will keep completely silent on the issue until they are ready to actually hand the phones to customers.

I'd bet that you'll be able to get one before Thanksgiving (2013.)