Bricked Moto G - Need help urgently!

Search This thread

Megadarkwood

Jun 22, 2014
So, I am in the middle of trying to fix my Moto G that is bricked/bootloop.

What happened is that I "accidentally" factory reset my phone using Philz Touch Recovery, after I did that, my phone wouldn't boot. After doing some research on the interwebs I found that since Philz is based of CWM it also deleted the /os folder, so I had to install a custom ROM to fix it. I did install 2 different ROM's twice each (CM11 and Carbon) and still am stuck in a boot loop. (I wiped cache and data .etc before I installed) I have no idea what to do, please help me!

TL;DR: Moto G stuck in Bootloop/bricked

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
So, I am in the middle of trying to fix my Moto G that is bricked/bootloop.

What happened is that I "accidentally" factory reset my phone using Philz Touch Recovery, after I did that, my phone wouldn't boot. After doing some research on the interwebs I found that since Philz is based of CWM it also deleted the /os folder, so I had to install a custom ROM to fix it. I did install 2 different ROM's twice each (CM11 and Carbon) and still am stuck in a boot loop. (I wiped cache and data .etc before I installed) I have no idea what to do, please help me!

TL;DR: Moto G stuck in Bootloop/bricked

First things first..there are many Moto G models..which model do you have.?

And what version OS is your device on.?

sent by my 4.2.2_12.15.15
(Unlocked) XT1080M Droid Maxx #1
http://waynekent.com/page6.html

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
It's on 4.4.2 and I don't know the model number but its the Canadian Rogers Version

Try to flash your recovery again, IF you cannot get back into recovery..which ever one you are using, flash again and go into the recovery in order to erase cache/dalvik..if you do erase cache/dalvik and still in a bootloop, then most likely you'll need to flash a new/undefiled OS..

There is a chance that a flash of OS could be done without loosing all your data, but a custom FXZ would be needed..

Go down this list and find your device OS..and download..and flash the new/fresh OS..this list is factory FXZ's which will erase your data..

I personally prefer TWRP recoveries..

Here >> http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14

Sent from my 4.4_19.6.3
(Unlocked) XT1080M Droid Maxx #2

Last edited:

Megadarkwood

Jun 22, 2014
Try to flash your recovery again, IF you cannot get back into recovery..which ever one you are using, flash again and go into the recovery in order to erase cache/dalvik..if you do erase cache/dalvik and still in a bootloop, then most likely you'll need to flash a new/undefiled OS..

There is a chance that a flash of OS could be done without loosing all your data, but a custom FXZ would be needed..

Go down this list and find your device OS..and download..and flash the new/fresh OS..this list is factory FXZ's which will erase your data..

I personally prefer TWRP recoveries..

Here >>

Sent from my 4.4_19.6.3

Alright, so since I am a noob let me get this right..

Wipe dalvik cache, done. Still in bootloop.

Now I should flash a new recovery? I am still able to get into my current one.

Sorry for my noob-ness.

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
Alright, so since I am a noob let me get this right..

Wipe dalvik cache, done. Still in bootloop.

Now I should flash a new recovery? I am still able to get into my current one.

Sorry for my noob-ness.

OK..if you erased cache..then that's all you can do with that..

Reflash your recovery..make sure you have a known good recovery for your particular device..if reflash recovery and still a bootloop..then flashing a clean/fresh OS is the only thing that is left..of course you certainly deserve a second opinion..

If you are concerned about loosing all your data..then there is a way to flash a new/clean OS without erase your data..BUT..it takes a special modified FXZ to do so, and get your device back up..

Sent from my 4.4_19.6.3

Megadarkwood

Jun 22, 2014

Reflash your recovery..make sure you have a known good recovery for your particular device..if reflash recovery and still a bootloop..then flashing a clean/fresh OS is the only thing that is left..of course you certainly deserve a second opinion..

If you are concerned about loosing all your data..then there is a way to flash a new/clean OS without erase your data..BUT..it takes a special modified FXZ to do so, and get your device back up..

Sent from my 4.4_19.6.3
(Unlocked) XT1080M Droid Maxx #

I am not concerned about any data, just need to get it working. I will flash TWRP as soon as I get back to my computer

nardow

May 25, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
Bro, try flashing TWRP, it's easier (my opinion) to use... Do you have the .zip of CM11? If yes, make a Factory Reset and install CM11. If it still in a bootloop, instal the stock firmware.

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Megadarkwood

Jun 22, 2014

Sent from my 4.4_19.6.3

Bro, try flashing TWRP, it's easier (my opinion) to use... Do you have the .zip of CM11? If yes, make a Factory Reset and install CM11. If it still in a bootloop, instal the stock firmware.

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Alright, how am I supposed to sideload the .img for TWRP?

Clarkiieh

Mar 13, 2013
OnePlus 6T
Just download TWRP and flash using your current recovery.. Also you could try going into advance in TWRP and clicking fix permissions..
If you cannot flash a new Recovery using the recovery already on the device.. Flash with adb.
Download a new recovery using a PC.
Place the .IMG into your fastboot folder.
Rename the recovery 'recovery.img' without quotes.
Boot into bootloader.
On your PC hold shift and right click the folder your fastboot is in and select to start your cmd directory their.
A command window should open and type...
"Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Megadarkwood

Jun 22, 2014
Just download TWRP and flash using your current recovery.. Also you could try going into advance in TWRP and clicking fix permissions..
If you cannot flash a new Recovery using the recovery already on the device.. Flash with adb.
Download a new recovery using a PC.
Place the .IMG into your fastboot folder.
Rename the recovery 'recovery.img' without quotes.
Boot into bootloader.
On your PC hold shift and right click the folder your fastboot is in and select to start your cmd directory their.
A command window should open and type...
"Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

Won't work, says "Waiting for Device"

Jun 21, 2014
Won't work, says "Waiting for Device"

I will try and make this simple as possible, this process will get your device back to stock if you are able to get into fastboot mode.

- Step 1: Put device into fastboot mode.

- Step 1a: Run ADB and check for devices.
Code:
adb devices

- Step 1b: If ADB cannot see the device unplug the USB and plug it back in.

- Step 1c: Run ADB and check for devices again, if device is detected in ADB move to step 3, if not continue on to step 2.
Code:
adb devices

- Step 2: If ADB does not detect the device unplug the USB

- Step 2a: Restart the device in fastboot mode

- Step 2b: Plug USB back in

- Step 2c: Run ADB and check for devices, if device is detected in ADB move to step 3.
Code:
adb devices

- Step 3: Start the flashing process with ADB using your systems firmware.
Code:
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk2
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk3
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1 
fastboot erase modemst2 
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache 
fastboot erase userdata 
fastboot reboot

- or run the bat file for your firmware.

- Step 3a: If you get errors or hang ups at anytime during the flashing process after recovery.img make more than 1 attempt to run the command in ADB. I have the XT1034 and my sparsechunk2 and 3 along with erase cache and erase userdata likes to hang up and then fail but I am still able to fully restore my Moto G. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Megadarkwood

Jun 22, 2014
I will try and make this simple as possible, this process will get your device back to stock if you are able to get into fastboot mode.

- Step 1: Put device into fastboot mode.

- Step 1a: Run ADB and check for devices.
Code:
adb devices

- Step 1b: If ADB cannot see the device unplug the USB and plug it back in.

- Step 1c: Run ADB and check for devices again, if device is detected in ADB move to step 3, if not continue on to step 2.
Code:
adb devices

- Step 2: If ADB does not detect the device unplug the USB

- Step 2a: Restart the device in fastboot mode

- Step 2b: Plug USB back in

- Step 2c: Run ADB and check for devices, if device is detected in ADB move to step 3.
Code:
adb devices

- Step 3: Start the flashing process with ADB using your systems firmware.
Code:
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk2
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk3
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1 
fastboot erase modemst2 
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache 
fastboot erase userdata 
fastboot reboot

- or run the bat file for your firmware.

- Step 3a: If you get errors or hang ups at anytime during the flashing process after recovery.img make more than 1 attempt to run the command in ADB. I have the XT1034 and my sparsechunk2 and 3 along with erase cache and erase userdata likes to hang up and then fail but I am still able to fully restore my Moto G. I hope this helps.
Alright, but do I need a OS file or something in the folder before I do this?

Also, it reconizes the device with "adb devices" but it still says "Waiting for device"

Last edited:

eg0097

Mar 22, 2014
Los Angeles

• First of all run the adb setup file and press (Y) all 3 times.
  • Next unzip the twrp.zip folder. Then flash the twrp recovery by using the "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" command. Make sure phone is in fastboot mode.
  • Next boot the phone into the recovery and select advanced. Then click on terminal command and navigate to the /sdcard/ folder. Lastly click "select" on the bottom right corner.
  • Now download whatever rom and gapps you would like to install on your phone and rename them to something short. Then open a command prompt at the directory where the rom and gapps are. In the command prompt enter these commands "adb push NAMEOFROM.zip /sdcard/" and "adb push NAMEOFGAPPS.zip /sdcard/".
  • The command prompt will not show change for a few minutes. After you notice the command prompt is ready for the next command it is okay to exit it.
  • Now just flash the rom and gapps normally and hopefully your phone will be okay. :)
**BTW the adb setup program makes adb and fastboot accessible from any directory even without the actual adb and fastboot files.

Attachments

• adb-setup-1.3.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 26
  • twrp.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 29

Megadarkwood

Jun 22, 2014
  • First of all run the adb setup file and press (Y) all 3 times.
  • Next unzip the twrp.zip folder. Then flash the twrp recovery by using the "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" command. Make sure phone is in fastboot mode.
  • Next boot the phone into the recovery and select advanced. Then click on terminal command and navigate to the /sdcard/ folder. Lastly click "select" on the bottom right corner.
  • Now download whatever rom and gapps you would like to install on your phone and rename them to something short. Then open a command prompt at the directory where the rom and gapps are. In the command prompt enter these commands "adb push NAMEOFROM.zip /sdcard/" and "adb push NAMEOFGAPPS.zip /sdcard/".
  • The command prompt will not show change for a few minutes. After you notice the command prompt is ready for the next command it is okay to exit it.
  • Now just flash the rom and gapps normally and hopefully your phone will be okay. :)
**BTW the adb setup program makes adb and fastboot accessible from any directory even without the actual adb and fastboot files.

Got TWRP on and everything flashed but carbon is still in a boot loop.

Clarkiieh

Mar 13, 2013
OnePlus 6T
Honestly dude I just bricked my phone converting to gpe and I somehow got out of it... Sometimes it can be a load of factors... Drivers is the biggie!! Delete your old ones reboot computer and reinstall..

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

OK if you hear a beep when connecting your phone while it's in fastboot its not your drivers as such
.. If not tell me cause you will need to activate them!

Megadarkwood

Jun 22, 2014
Honestly dude I just bricked my phone converting to gpe and I somehow got out of it... Sometimes it can be a load of factors... Drivers is the biggie!! Delete your old ones reboot computer and reinstall..

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

OK if you hear a beep when connecting your phone while it's in fastboot its not your drivers as such
.. If not tell me cause you will need to activate them!

Yeah I hear the beep.

Top Liked Posts