Any Gingerbread Rom for N7000?

Search This thread

Lister Of Smeg

Hi Guys,

I wondered if any of you (more experienced, long serving) users are aware of any Gingerbread ROMs? Preferably a CM or any 2.3.7 based, but if they don't exist, any build will do... It needs to be a safe build, a non eMMC bug version, or DeOxed (is that the term)?

Sure, you're gonna say, why bother.. There's JB and KK now, but I like GB and wanted to see what it's like on the N7000?

All help gratefully welcomed..

Thanks, Lister

ASMI1

Dec 23, 2010
all GB kernels are safe to wipe data (only stock ICS kernel is unsafe)
i advise you to try Checkrom HD v6, still my favorite GB rom :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Lister Of Smeg

Hi @ASMI1,

Thanks for such a fast reply.. I've been to the main website where I can download it.. One thing I'm worried about, I've seen in this ROM and mentioned in another GB based ROM for our phones is: CSC?

the CheckRom v6 features "Multi CSC" what does this mean, and is it dangerous?

Do I flash Philz Kernel, and install with that? Do I need to flash another kernel afterwards? Does this room raise the counter or anything?

I'm OK flashing JB or KK, but not done a GB ROM and worried in case summit not aware of, don't want to brick this...?

Thanks, Lister

all GB kernels are safe to wipe data (only stock ICS kernel is unsafe)
i advise you to try Checkrom HD v6, still my favorite GB rom :)

kaborayyan

Feb 2, 2013
Alexandria
CSC means customer service code. Multi csc means that this rom is not locked to any country or carrier.
Yes you can flag it under philz kernel.

Sent from my LG-E410

Lister Of Smeg

Hi @kaborayyan / @ASMI1 / Guys,

I've flashed Philz original Recovery/Kernel first, and then do all the usual wipes... Factory Reset, System, Davlik Cache (and even tried Pre-Load? after first failed) and same result each time.

During the flashing process it seems to backup the EFS (even though that was the first thing I did when I got this phone, so hope it hasnt over written my original EFS backup) but then gets stuck. It seems to stay on Flashing Modem for ages, and progress bar doesnt move... And then the phone goes black, and it reboots... But then gets stuck on the white Samsung splash screen "Samsung Galaxy Note - GT-N7000" and stays like that, unless I reboot....

I reboot, but notice CWM 5.0.2.7 is installed (not sure if thats a safe one?) so I flash Philz from within that, reboot recovery and then do all the wipes again... and the phone seems like normal again. However I dont know if I've done anything wrong, or if the phone is still safe or if I've killed it any way??? lol

Cheers for any help/support.

Thanks, Lister

kaborayyan

Feb 2, 2013
Alexandria

I've flashed Philz original Recovery/Kernel first, and then do all the usual wipes... Factory Reset, System, Davlik Cache (and even tried Pre-Load? after first failed) and same result each time.

During the flashing process it seems to backup the EFS (even though that was the first thing I did when I got this phone, so hope it hasnt over written my original EFS backup) but then gets stuck. It seems to stay on Flashing Modem for ages, and progress bar doesnt move... And then the phone goes black, and it reboots... But then gets stuck on the white Samsung splash screen "Samsung Galaxy Note - GT-N7000" and stays like that, unless I reboot....

I reboot, but notice CWM 5.0.2.7 is installed (not sure if thats a safe one?) so I flash Philz from within that, reboot recovery and then do all the wipes again... and the phone seems like normal again. However I dont know if I've done anything wrong, or if the phone is still safe or if I've killed it any way??? lol

Thanks, Lister

Reboot into recovery again if you found the touch colored recovery then you're on philz kernel. If not be sure that you selected the suitable philz kernel.

If I helped hit the thanks button.

Reactions: Lister Of Smeg

Lister Of Smeg

Hi @kaborayyan,

Yep, I'm certainly on Philz Kernel.... when it's loaded, its kind of a pink/purple-ish colour.... (not sure what version, but something like 5.1.1.1) It's the first one I downloaded when I got this phone a couple of months back, that I used to root/and then flash custom roms with... (namely, JB).

However, I fancy seeing what GB is like on it, but get stuck... it seems to hang on Flashing Modem, sits there, and then reboots without finishing by the looks of things...? :(

Its a UK Vodafone, N7000

Thanks, Lister

kaborayyan

Feb 2, 2013
Alexandria
Did you try to flash a stock GB ROM through Odin? May be you get better results. Then root it and flash whatever you want of custom GB based Roms.

Sent from my GT-N7000

ASMI1

Dec 23, 2010
yeah like kaborayyan said, try to flash any stock GB rom using odin3 v1.85 only (you can find instructions and download links in the sticky thread in the orginal development section, you should look for mirrors because hotfile is down or just download chainfire prerooted stock rom)
After you get a stock rooted GB rom installed on your phone, install checkrom using the recovery after wiping data, cache and dalvik.
as i said stock ICS roms are unsafe, other roms are safe... just keep a backup of your efs
and be careful when using odin3.

btw, hitting the "thanks" button is easier than writing it :)
cheers :)

nokiamodeln91

Jun 6, 2012
However, I fancy seeing what GB is like on it, but get stuck... it seems to hang on Flashing Modem, sits there, and then reboots without finishing by the looks of things...? :(
Go to www.samsung-updates.com firmware section. There are a few 2.3.6 roms available. Stock though. These roms might be non root able. Not really sure as there are not many methods of rooting GB (check Dr ketans thread for more info) . It could also be possible that for rooting again you will need to flash an ICS or JB rom again using Odin.
If you just want to taste the ginger then stock GB rom is quite fast.

Last edited:
A

AndroidSlave

Hi Guys,

I wondered if any of you (more experienced, long serving) users are aware of any Gingerbread ROMs? Preferably a CM or any 2.3.7 based, but if they don't exist, any build will do... It needs to be a safe build, a non eMMC bug version, or DeOxed (is that the term)?

Sure, you're gonna say, why bother.. There's JB and KK now, but I like GB and wanted to see what it's like on the N7000?

All help gratefully welcomed..

Thanks, Lister

Pristine LC1 is a good option. Its in the OP of the pristine thread. All GB kernels are safe, as above mentioned.

There is no 2.3.7 or CM based N7000 rom

Sent from Nexus 5 on Slimkat

Lister Of Smeg

Hi @ASMI1, @kaborayyan, @nokiamodeln91, @AndroidSlave,

Thanks guys, with you're help.... I've finally made it !!! :) It appears CheckROM HD v6 does not want to flash under Philz (or some other recovery, cant think what now??) However I did manage to get it to Flash under Abyss Recovery Kernel (which is based on GB kernel, apparently).

So it has flashed now, not had chance to play around with it yet as am at work... But just by looking at it, it's bringing back the GB love.... ;)

Yes I know it's sad, why go back to GB?? lol. But sometimes it's just nice to go over, for old times sake... Used to do it on my ZTE Blade many a times...

So, (quick questions).

1) With this stock-ish rom, can I remove/tweak/clean up, and then package it (in CWM) as a flashable rom?? or do I have to backup/restore only in that version of CWM??

2) It safe to flash any version of CM9, without using flashing a seperate recovery afterwards... and still avoid the eMMC. It's only official STOCK firmware that killed them....

Thanks once again guys for all your support, I know its not normal (and frowned upon) to use older firmware... But just wanted to see what GB was like again...

Cheers, Lister

A

AndroidSlave

Hi @ASMI1, @kaborayyan, @nokiamodeln91, @AndroidSlave,

Thanks guys, with you're help.... I've finally made it !!! :) It appears CheckROM HD v6 does not want to flash under Philz (or some other recovery, cant think what now??) However I did manage to get it to Flash under Abyss Recovery Kernel (which is based on GB kernel, apparently).

So it has flashed now, not had chance to play around with it yet as am at work... But just by looking at it, it's bringing back the GB love.... ;)

Yes I know it's sad, why go back to GB?? lol. But sometimes it's just nice to go over, for old times sake... Used to do it on my ZTE Blade many a times...

So, (quick questions).

1) With this stock-ish rom, can I remove/tweak/clean up, and then package it (in CWM) as a flashable rom?? or do I have to backup/restore only in that version of CWM??

2) It safe to flash any version of CM9, without using flashing a seperate recovery afterwards... and still avoid the eMMC. It's only official STOCK firmware that killed them....

Thanks once again guys for all your support, I know its not normal (and frowned upon) to use older firmware... But just wanted to see what GB was like again...

Cheers, Lister

1) not really unless you use a new version of philz touch recovery, which wouldn't happen because on the n7000 the recovery sits on the kernel, thus you are stuck with an old kernel and old recovery. As such your best bet is to do a nandroid backup. Further - when you restore such a backup, I recommend flashing abyss again first so you are in the Ame recovery it was made in

2) yes. Just be concerned of Stock ICS (4.0.4) with a custom recovery. Never flash temporary cwm.zip. matter of fact, just avoid stock ICS at all costs. Newer versions of cm9 are safe. Avoid very old cm9 versions. My personal recommendation to you would be Paranoid Android cm9 ( I think it stopped at around .4a) that one was amazing.

Sent from Nexus 5 on Slimkat

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks, Lister

Reboot into recovery again if you found the touch colored recovery then you're on philz kernel. If not be sure that you selected the suitable philz kernel.

If I helped hit the thanks button.
    Did you try to flash a stock GB ROM through Odin? May be you get better results. Then root it and flash whatever you want of custom GB based Roms.

Sent from my GT-N7000
    yeah like kaborayyan said, try to flash any stock GB rom using odin3 v1.85 only (you can find instructions and download links in the sticky thread in the orginal development section, you should look for mirrors because hotfile is down or just download chainfire prerooted stock rom)
    After you get a stock rooted GB rom installed on your phone, install checkrom using the recovery after wiping data, cache and dalvik.
    as i said stock ICS roms are unsafe, other roms are safe... just keep a backup of your efs
    and be careful when using odin3.

btw, hitting the "thanks" button is easier than writing it :)
    cheers :)

Go to www.samsung-updates.com firmware section. There are a few 2.3.6 roms available. Stock though. These roms might be non root able. Not really sure as there are not many methods of rooting GB (check Dr ketans thread for more info) . It could also be possible that for rooting again you will need to flash an ICS or JB rom again using Odin.
    If you just want to taste the ginger then stock GB rom is quite fast.