Hacking an inexpensive dock to toggle Desktop or Car dock modes

Search This thread

ModemJunki

Apr 14, 2011
I have the KiDiGi dock with a HDMI connection port too.

Before I attempt this mod, the first thing I was to clarify is the USB mode. Whenever I plug my phone into the dock, it starts charging, however the USB mode is not detected - so i cant sync or do file transfers, however if I pull out the USB lead from the back of the dock and plug it directly into the phone, the USB mode is detected straight away. So with this said I know the cable is fine, and the ports its connecting to are fine and my drivers are fine. It seems the dock must not be connecting the USB data pins or something?

Can someone clarify this?

Sorry for the delay - I was on holiday all of December and took another trip.

If you look at the pics xSilv85 posted, you will see that the HDMI model does not have the USB data pins at all - only USB power is present. So the HDMI model apparently can't do data transfers.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35115986&postcount=14

ModemJunki

Apr 14, 2011
There is a reason aftermarket desk docks do not support this, and only HTC's speaker dock does...

You might have mentioned that once you've done this, your dock is now essentially useless...

You cannot hear the phone ring, hear alarms go off, listen to music... any sound period. Desk mode also triggers audio-out and thus disables the phone speaker.

Thanks for the post, but there was already a thread that figured all of this out a long time ago.

That is not correct for my AT&T HOX. Can you link to the thread that discussed this? Are you talking about the international version of the HOX?

I use it as my alarm clock (with Alarm Clock Extreme) in the dock, and the alarm works just fine. I also tested receiving a call by calling it from my landline and the phone rang. The default dock app has a music player but I didn't test that, I don't have music on my phone.

I will change the main post to indicate that this was only tested with the AT&T version, I imagine it will work for the Rogers version as well.

JDAapps

Jul 1, 2012
New York
That is not correct for my AT&T HOX. Can you link to the thread that discussed this? Are you talking about the international version of the HOX?

I use it as my alarm clock (with Alarm Clock Extreme) in the dock, and the alarm works just fine. I also tested receiving a call by calling it from my landline and the phone rang. The default dock app has a music player but I didn't test that, I don't have music on my phone.

I will change the main post to indicate that this was only tested with the AT&T version, I imagine it will work for the Rogers version as well.

Well since you posted this thread in the International One X forum, not the AT&T One X forum, one could only assume...

ModemJunki

Apr 14, 2011
Well since you posted this thread in the International One X forum, not the AT&T One X forum, one could only assume...

My bad, I assumed "general" was the place to be. :eek: Should probably be moved to the correct forum by a mod...

Edit: I reported my own post, hopefully someone will move it.

Edit: Moved with lightning speed! Now we're in the right thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDAapps

Darshan209

Jun 3, 2012
Unfortunately!! Didn't work for me

*** IMPORTANT UPDATE ***
It has been brought to my attention that this may only work for the US version of the HOX, and not for the international (quad core) version.

See this post in the thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35485317&postcount=20

So, after getting used to my Thunderbolt having a nice HTC dock that triggers Desktop mode, I was very disappointed to find nothing yet on the market for the AT&T One X. instead of returning the inexpensive dock, or messing around with software, I rolled up my sleeves and made it happen.

Originally I started making a breakout connection for the USB thinking I'd build a powered bluetooth speaker into the dock but then I realized I had too many projects going on. That's why the tiny breadboard is in the pictures - its part of the abandoned breakout. It's not needed at all, you could safely tape or heatshrink these 1/4 watt resistors for this application.

Also I realized after I started splicing that I needed to pare back more of the insulation, if I had to do it again I'd give myself more room to work with.

In my particular dock, the cable shield is not connected to port shield but it is used as the ground.

Pin 5 (ground) cable shield / black
Pin 4 (ID) Black wire
Pin 3 (Data +) Yellow
Pin 2 (Data -) White
Pin 1 (+5V DC) Red

The signal to go into dock mode is triggered with a resistor between pins 4 and 5.
10kOhm triggers auto dock mode
68kOhm triggers desk dock mode (also, a 47kOhm triggers desk dock mode)

Starting in Car Dock mode allows a toggle to Desk Dock with the switch, but the phone doesn't toggle back to the Car Dock from Desk Dock when switched back.

Not the point, at any rate - the only reason I did this was because I had the two-pole switch and both resistors handy.

The dock:
0_the_dock.JPG

The underbelly (pull off the rubber feet gently)..
2_the_belly.JPG

If you don't pull off the feet, you won't get the hidden screws.
3_hidden_screws.JPG

The top will come off easily. Now you can push the bottom out.
4_pop_apart.JPG

The bottom has a steel weight.
3_steel_weight.JPG

Gently pry the cable out of the base. It lifts out.
6_a_side_out.JPG

Now you can unscrew the other end.
7_b_side.JPG

This is how I tested the resistors. Be VERY careful if you do this - the pin can break the wire. For such a tiny wire you need to pierce the side of the insulation.
8_old_school.JPG

Proof of concept.
9_works.JPG

I actually only had a 68.1kOhm resistor handy, it works fine.
10_was_going_to_make_a_breakout.JPG

Tie the ends of the resistors together to the shield. Tie the center of the switch to the ID wire.
11_should_have_worked_further_back.JPG

Shrink wrap, tape, or otherwise insulate the connections. TEST FIRST, then reassemble - install switch....
12_in_place.JPG

Put it all back together....
1_the_mod.JPG

Fullsize pics here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/ModemJunki/OneXDockHack#

See it in action! (not sure how to embed YouTube properly...)
http://youtu.be/tZ0Mom1wZq4

I tried cutting off my USB cable and fitting a 68k resistor between the black and the cable shield wires, but it doesn't do anything. Also tried using 10k and 47k. It connects as usual to the pc starting the usb debugging mode etc. Can you help me with this? :confused:

ModemJunki

Apr 14, 2011
I tried cutting off my USB cable and fitting a 68k resistor between the black and the cable shield wires, but it doesn't do anything. Also tried using 10k and 47k. It connects as usual to the pc starting the usb debugging mode etc. Can you help me with this? :confused:

You did this in the cable or using a dock like I showed? I've never tried with a cable - USB cable may not use the shield as ground. In that case it's Pin 4 to Pin 5 with the resistors.

Does the company you work for start with an S and end with an S? I have a manager with same name as you and a company HOX like mine. :confused:

Reactions: Darshan209

Darshan209

Jun 3, 2012
Can this cable work?

You did this in the cable or using a dock like I showed? I've never tried with a cable - USB cable may not use the shield as ground. In that case it's Pin 4 to Pin 5 with the resistors.

Does the company you work for start with an S and end with an S? I have a manager with same name as you and a company HOX like mine. :confused:

bb83500a-f699-4cbc-b7f6-64748f303b71

This is the cable I have used. Can it work?

Read somewhere about the usb to micro-usb cables. They say that at the usb end, pin 4 & 5 are shorted. But in my case, pin 5 i.e. the shield wire is left free from the usb end.

And I don't work for any company yet. I am still a student.

Last edited:

APSBiker

Dec 20, 2010
Figured I'd drop in and say I made a similar mod to a different dock along with switching the LED from the super bright blue to a nice amber color, it's pretty cool how a quick and easy mod like this makes a world of difference in how usable the phone ends up being. Too bad we still don't have a really good useful dock from ATT or HTC that works like these out of the box.

ModemJunki

Apr 14, 2011
bb83500a-f699-4cbc-b7f6-64748f303b71

This is the cable I have used. Can it work?

Read somewhere about the usb to micro-usb cables. They say that at the usb end, pin 4 & 5 are shorted. But in my case, pin 5 i.e. the shield wire is left free from the usb end.

And I don't work for any company yet. I am still a student.

Sorry no reply - I'm not getting my notification mails from the system. :(

Did the cable work?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** Another update ***
    The 4.2.2 firmware appears to be missing the desktop dock mode entirely. The phone does not go into landscape mode and no dock launches.

*** Another update ***
    The 2.2.1 firmware appears to be missing the desktop dock mode entirely. The phone goes into landscape mode but no dock launches.

Nothing I can fix, sorry.

*** IMPORTANT UPDATE ***
    It has been brought to my attention that this may only work for the US version of the HOX, and not for the international (quad core) version.

See this post in the thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35485317&postcount=20

So, after getting used to my Thunderbolt having a nice HTC dock that triggers Desktop mode, I was very disappointed to find nothing yet on the market for the AT&T One X. instead of returning the inexpensive dock, or messing around with software, I rolled up my sleeves and made it happen.

Originally I started making a breakout connection for the USB thinking I'd build a powered bluetooth speaker into the dock but then I realized I had too many projects going on. That's why the tiny breadboard is in the pictures - its part of the abandoned breakout. It's not needed at all, you could safely tape or heatshrink these 1/4 watt resistors for this application.

Also I realized after I started splicing that I needed to pare back more of the insulation, if I had to do it again I'd give myself more room to work with.

In my particular dock, the cable shield is not connected to port shield but it is used as the ground.

Pin 5 (ground) cable shield / black
    Pin 4 (ID) Black wire
    Pin 3 (Data +) Yellow
    Pin 2 (Data -) White
    Pin 1 (+5V DC) Red

The signal to go into dock mode is triggered with a resistor between pins 4 and 5.
    10kOhm triggers auto dock mode
    68kOhm triggers desk dock mode (also, a 47kOhm triggers desk dock mode)

Starting in Car Dock mode allows a toggle to Desk Dock with the switch, but the phone doesn't toggle back to the Car Dock from Desk Dock when switched back.

Not the point, at any rate - the only reason I did this was because I had the two-pole switch and both resistors handy.

The dock:
    0_the_dock.JPG

The underbelly (pull off the rubber feet gently)..
    2_the_belly.JPG

If you don't pull off the feet, you won't get the hidden screws.
    3_hidden_screws.JPG

The top will come off easily. Now you can push the bottom out.
    4_pop_apart.JPG

The bottom has a steel weight.
    3_steel_weight.JPG

Gently pry the cable out of the base. It lifts out.
    6_a_side_out.JPG

Now you can unscrew the other end.
    7_b_side.JPG

This is how I tested the resistors. Be VERY careful if you do this - the pin can break the wire. For such a tiny wire you need to pierce the side of the insulation.
    8_old_school.JPG

Proof of concept.
    9_works.JPG

I actually only had a 68.1kOhm resistor handy, it works fine.
    10_was_going_to_make_a_breakout.JPG

Tie the ends of the resistors together to the shield. Tie the center of the switch to the ID wire.
    11_should_have_worked_further_back.JPG

Shrink wrap, tape, or otherwise insulate the connections. TEST FIRST, then reassemble - install switch....
    12_in_place.JPG

Put it all back together....
    1_the_mod.JPG

Fullsize pics here:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/ModemJunki/OneXDockHack#

See it in action! (not sure how to embed YouTube properly...)
    http://youtu.be/tZ0Mom1wZq4

Just a quick question, on what PINs did you connect the resistors? I couldn't see where through the pictures.

I wonder if this will work for the Desire S..

Edit.
    Found the answer on the video. Thanks again.

Thanks for catching that. I added the description for which pins to bridge.

No idea about the Desire S, but it seems multiple HTC phones share common triggers.
    I suppose it will work for the international One X too.

Did you have tested with other values of resistance or it needs to be 1000Ohm and 6812Ohm?

I tested with some other values but only 10k, 47k, and 68.1k (really should be 68k) worked. I can't give more details about other values tested at the moment as I'm on holiday in the Caribbean and I live near Chicago in the USA :)

But I used the working values based on searches on the forums for other HTC devices.
    Thanks man. I'm about to buy this and give it to the GF as she has the one with the One X and I have the Desire S (yeah, go figure :eek:). And thinking about modifying the Dock like as you did to make it easy for her to just dock the phone, rather than docking then opening up the Dock Mode App from the phone.

Anyways, last few questions:

10kOhm triggers auto dock mode = That's the Car Mode App, right?

68kOhm triggers desk dock mode (also, a 47kOhm triggers desk dock mode) = And this is the Dock Mode App, right?

Have you tried syncing on PC while in Dock Mode?

Have you experienced any problem with the dock with the changes?

And also, have you tried connecting a MHL-HDMI and does it work? I heard/saw with an unmodified KiDiGi Charge & Sync Desktop Cradle, it works. You can check out what one member did here.

Thanks again man.

I don't have an MHL to try. Also did not try sync before going on holiday. No problems but I did go on vacation two days after I made the mod.

You are correct about the modes.
    Please make a how-to post. I'd do another dock for the office with NFC.

Here's what I did:

* Buy a starter pack from RapidNFC (www.rapidnfc.com). These were the cheapest when I did this a while ago (I got "Starter Pack B")

* Download "NFC Task Launcher" from the Market (was £1.26 when I got it).

* Open the app and add an action to do what you want (in my case enable GPS, turn media volume down, launch Satnav program).
    Once configured, select "Save & Write" and scan the NFC tag you want to use. If successful, when you put the phone near the tag it'll run the actions you selected.

If you can think of any other uses for the tags they can be programmed and put anywhere.

(I *think* this app doesn't actually write to the NFC tag, just records it's serial number. That means you can re-use the tags if you want by deleting the action and re-scannign the tag under another one)

Hope this helps.