[Q] TWRP loop, unable to restore or flash anything

Search This thread

roshane

Feb 24, 2014
I've searched the forums and haven't found a solution to my problem. I have rooted S4 MK2 and wanted to put Gummy ROM on it, only finding out after I had installed TWRP that this wouldn't be possible. No big deal, but now, I can't get away from the stupid downloading screen for TWRP. No longer do I get the screen before it warning about tinkering with your operating system, and once it's stuck on the screen, getting the phone to boot properly sometimes takes a while, and a lot of foul language. I've tried several things to bypass/delete/overwrite TWRP, to no avail. ODIN doesn't work for me, tried several versions, ROM Manager and CWM doesn't work, when I try to boot into CWM mode it goes to downloading screen of TWRP. I finally gave up, decided to nuke it from space and do a factory reset... which took me straight to the damnedable downloading screen! This tells me I will probably be unable to update or use any ASOP ROMs that I might run into, because once on the downloading screen, nothing works, the phone isn't recognized by my computer, two different versions of ODIN failed to get its attention, unable to to load .pit or .tar files... I'm at wits end folks, and haven't found a solution in any other threads on xda, or the net in general, any help and suggestions would be much appreciated. I've not used ADB before, but if need be, I'll learn if there's a fix going that route.

riker147

Jul 11, 2011
I've searched the forums and haven't found a solution to my problem. I have rooted S4 MK2 and wanted to put Gummy ROM on it, only finding out after I had installed TWRP that this wouldn't be possible. No big deal, but now, I can't get away from the stupid downloading screen for TWRP. No longer do I get the screen before it warning about tinkering with your operating system, and once it's stuck on the screen, getting the phone to boot properly sometimes takes a while, and a lot of foul language. I've tried several things to bypass/delete/overwrite TWRP, to no avail. ODIN doesn't work for me, tried several versions, ROM Manager and CWM doesn't work, when I try to boot into CWM mode it goes to downloading screen of TWRP. I finally gave up, decided to nuke it from space and do a factory reset... which took me straight to the damnedable downloading screen! This tells me I will probably be unable to update or use any ASOP ROMs that I might run into, because once on the downloading screen, nothing works, the phone isn't recognized by my computer, two different versions of ODIN failed to get its attention, unable to to load .pit or .tar files... I'm at wits end folks, and haven't found a solution in any other threads on xda, or the net in general, any help and suggestions would be much appreciated. I've not used ADB before, but if need be, I'll learn if there's a fix going that route.

Does Odin "see" your phone? If so, what build are you trying to install?

I know the damage is done, but a little reading before hand would have let you know that with MK2 you can't install a custom recovery. Only Safestrap works with compatible Touchwiz 4.3 Roms

Edit: Maybe this thread will help. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578209

Edit #2: My apologies. Just re-read your post and I see you said, more than once, that Odin isn't seeing your phone. I'm afraid I won't be any help. Good luck.

Last edited:

roshane

Feb 24, 2014
Odin sees the phone, but fails at all attempts to install anything. .pit, .tar etc. I originally wanted to install Gummy but now I know that won't ever work, then I just tried to install stock .tar file and it also fails.

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur

If you had taken 5 minutes of time to research...you wouldn't have bricked your phone...Countless threads on this very thing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

riker147

Jul 11, 2011
Odin sees the phone, but fails at all attempts to install anything. .pit, .tar etc. I originally wanted to install Gummy but now I know that won't ever work, then I just tried to install stock .tar file and it also fails.

What exactly are you trying to install with Odin?

roshane

Feb 24, 2014
What exactly are you trying to install with Odin?

My most recent attempt was SCH-I545.pit, didn't work... I also tried Philz_Touch, gummy, and one other ROM which, of course didn't work, now I know why the roms didn't, but no sure why the .pit file won't work. All I really want to do now is remove all traces of TWRP. My phone isn't bricked, totally usable, it just won't be able to be updated or customized until I get rid of TWRP

riker147

Jul 11, 2011
My most recent attempt was SCH-I545.pit, didn't work... I also tried Philz_Touch, gummy, and one other ROM which, of course didn't work, now I know why the roms didn't, but no sure why the .pit file won't work. All I really want to do now is remove all traces of TWRP. My phone isn't bricked, totally usable, it just won't be able to be updated or customized until I get rid of TWRP

It looks to me like your only option is to Odin back to stock MK2. Did you check out the link I gave you in my first post?

Reactions: roshane

roshane

Feb 24, 2014
It looks to me like your only option is to Odin back to stock MK2. Did you check out the link I gave you in my first post?
I'm reading over it now, considering doing the full wipe. Now that I know custom ROMS are going to be limited to ASOP I don't mind going stock and unrooted. I really appreciate your help

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
From reading this I think you're confusing TWRP with Odin. TWRP doesnt have a downloading screen, but Odin does and thats exactly the screen you want to be on to flash a stock Odin tar. You will need to flash a full stock tar. And if you respond saying it didnt work please include the Odin error log.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
no luck so far, got the full wipe downloaded, put everything into Odin, and in the Odin message box it says setupconnection.. not real sure what to do...

You making sure you have the proper USB drivers as well as a good USB cable?

Also like surge said its kind of confusing I think you're confusing Odin with twrp as well at times.

So now your trying to load which file from within Odin???

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: roshane

roshane

Feb 24, 2014

Also like surge said its kind of confusing I think you're confusing Odin with twrp as well at times.

Got everything working, I'm all stock and all systems are go. Thank you very much for your kind help. I'm going to now patiently wait for the official 4.4 update to arrive and otherwise leave my phone stock.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

no luck so far, got the full wipe downloaded, put everything into Odin, and in the Odin message box it says setupconnection.. not real sure what to do...