Nexus not getting update directly from Google?

Search This thread

gogol

May 20, 2005
What's this?

http://phandroid.com/2010/12/09/nexus-one-for-vodafone-receiving-android-2-2-1-update/

I thought that Nexus phone will ALWAYS get update directly from Google?

So, if you buy from T-Mobile, there is a chance you need to wait from T-Mobile as well?

I don't get it.

NOTE: Before people shouting that this should be put specifically to the Nexus One forum. I think this is still valid information for us, who will buy Nexus S just because of the Google experience, like the old Nexus One. Hoping to get first update directly from Google when Google releases any new update. Apparently, that might NOT be the case! Well, hope NOT *finger crossed* ...

Last edited:

ap3604

Feb 20, 2010
I cant speak for the rest of the world but US customers always get their updates directly from Google.

I have a Nexus One right now and have gotten 3 over the air updates directly from Google.

greenstuffs

Jun 29, 2010
Palma, Spain
What's this?

http://phandroid.com/2010/12/09/nexus-one-for-vodafone-receiving-android-2-2-1-update/

I thought that Nexus phone will ALWAYS get update directly from Google?

So, if you buy from T-Mobile, there is a chance you need to wait from T-Mobile as well?

I don't get it.

you can always root the phone and load the stock built from google. But being an android enthusiast i rarely do OTA as you lose root and have to wait, i rather wait for devs to build new roms or optimize the official roms.

slowz3r

Jun 10, 2010
Malmstrom AFB, MT
Regardless if the Update is pushed from Google or pushed from Samsung it will be the First phone to get it, quite possible along with the N1 so what does it matter?

Lord_Buckington

Nov 17, 2010
Vodafone had a different build of Android for the phones they directly sold, I believe. No massive changes, but the update process is in their hands for their N1s

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

J

JupiterDroid

Why is this on the nexus s forum? There is a nexus one forum you know;)

JD

Sent from my Desire Z Beast!

gogol

May 20, 2005
Geez ... This is still a valid question for this Nexus S.

Why?

Because there will be a lot of people using "Pure Google" experience reasoning to decide whether to buy Nexus S or not.

Like me, one of the thing that I like with Nexus S is the direct update from Google.

Then I found that is NOT ALWAYS the case! That Nexus One from Vodafone for example.

So, I asked to this forum, probably someone in the know ...

Probably with this, people will know in the future if their Nexus S must wait Vodafone or T-Mobile or God knows who :D

See? Happy now? :D

Why is this on the nexus s forum? There is a nexus one forum you know;)

JD

Sent from my Desire Z Beast!

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
In the UK, the CarPhoneWarehouse sells unbranded phones and just couples them with with a SIM from whatever provider you've picked, so they shouldn't be subject to carrier interference.