[HELP THREAD][FAQ][LINKs]NO question is stupid.

Search This thread

asifcheer

Nov 24, 2013
Link2sd links only an app's library and other files not the app completely ( ie. it leaves dex files behind)....

Sent from my GT-I9082

Last edited:

renegade_332

Nov 22, 2013
nice idea this thread...
is anyone out there who would help me fixing the vpn problem?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2539329
im totaly confused by this issue.... tryed multible kernels and more....

would you others check if openvpn is working on your devices ?

thank you so mutch for help...

to the link2sd question
you link the libs of the app to a hidden partition on your sd card. i thought you've partitioned the sdcard before using link2sd.

link2sd works good, but if you want free space on your device and you use cm7 try s2e. here are great links in this forum whitch explain s2e.
s2e works very good for me!

Last edited:

dankup

Jul 1, 2013
Alright I'll try and explain what I mean with my link2sd problem. Right now I have 0 user apps on my phone (except link2sd) and have 27mb of space available on internal storage. When I go into settings -> apps -> downloaded -> it shows 27mb free space. I scroll to the right and go under "on sd card" it shows link2sd but 0.00b and no checkmark beside it, meaning it's on the internal storage and not on the sd card. That's fine - link2sd can not be transferred onto sd card memory. This is what happens when I try and download an app and transfer it to my sd card:

I install Titanium Backup on my phone from the Play Store. It gets installed and my internal memory goes down to 25mb of free space, 2mb down from the starting 27mb. But this is where the problem is. I scroll to the right to go to "on sd card" and it shows titanium backup there with a checkmark. I tap to enter the app and it shows me the option of moving it to my phone. 1) Why was the app installed directly to my sd card and not my phone? 2) If it shows it's already on the sd card, why did internal memory go down by 2mb? 3) If it shows it's already on the sd card, why would I have to use link2sd to create a link and put the app on the sd card (isn't it already there)?

Appreciate it if someone could help I'm not very good at this and very confused. I hope I explained it correctly - if you don't understand it I'll reply and word it differently.

asifcheer

Nov 24, 2013
Alright I'll try and explain what I mean with my link2sd problem. Right now I have 0 user apps on my phone (except link2sd) and have 27mb of space available on internal storage. When I go into settings -> apps -> downloaded -> it shows 27mb free space. I scroll to the right and go under "on sd card" it shows link2sd but 0.00b and no checkmark beside it, meaning it's on the internal storage and not on the sd card. That's fine - link2sd can not be transferred onto sd card memory. This is what happens when I try and download an app and transfer it to my sd card:

I install Titanium Backup on my phone from the Play Store. It gets installed and my internal memory goes down to 25mb of free space, 2mb down from the starting 27mb. But this is where the problem is. I scroll to the right to go to "on sd card" and it shows titanium backup there with a checkmark. I tap to enter the app and it shows me the option of moving it to my phone. 1) Why was the app installed directly to my sd card and not my phone? 2) If it shows it's already on the sd card, why did internal memory go down by 2mb? 3) If it shows it's already on the sd card, why would I have to use link2sd to create a link and put the app on the sd card (isn't it already there)?

Appreciate it if someone could help I'm not very good at this and very confused. I hope I explained it correctly - if you don't understand it I'll reply and word it differently.

1. Firstly there are some apps which installs directly on the sd card, I don't know why (maybe it is set by app developer for low end devices). Some games which requires large data files to be downloaded to sd card directly installs on sdcard. ( maybe titanium is creating a large backup file on sd ... I don't know)

2. When you move an app by native android app to sd method it can only move [app file] in android 2.2 and [app+lib files] in android 2.3+ but cannot move dex files which still remain in internal ( it may be shown as 2 mb )

3. To move [app+ lib files + dex] files you need to create link using link2sd

Sent from my GT-I9082

Last edited:

azeezh

Dec 22, 2013
can you please tell me how to unbrick

i can access recovery mode amd download mode. so its soft bricked. how do i unbrick?

TroN21

Mar 10, 2015
Hey... I've been using ace gt-s5830 and the latest version of 8 ball pool isn't working.
However old versions are working but u can't play further without updating it.:(
Please help me out.
I'm using custom rom droidace v4.
Thank you in advance.:)

Sent from my GT-S5830 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:
R

Raakib Zargar

THREAD UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Hey guys,

Hopefully,this will help reduce the large number of "My phone is bricked,please help me" threads :)

Feel free to ask any question regarding the ace and we will try to answer your question.

If anyone is found to be abusing new members for asking questions in this thread, they will be reported!

Thread index:
2nd post- FAQ
3rd post- Useful links

Moderator list:

There are 9 moderators assigned to this section. If incase a member tries to bully you, don't hesitate to contact them.

Hall of Fame:

The idea with the Hall of Fame is that, the most contributing(helpful) members will be added to the OP. :)
KingAce
121C4

Credits:
KingAce for his great help
undercover for the help thread idea
RC Community​

Hi Sir,
Sir i have a Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830. I Tried to root it using Root Genius. Everything went good. But the device turned off by itself several times.

Then once again when it turned off i tried to turn it on, but it didnt.
It doesnt go to Recovery too but Download Mode is Working.

I tried to flash it back to Stock using Odin. Odin Flashes it correctly but att the end it shows a message ''Killer Timer'' which it didnt show before when i used to flash my device with the same odin. After flashing the phone doesnt Turn ON by itself rather i tried to boot it forcelly but i didnt.

In Short It Seems to me that the Recovery and Boot are wiped out of my phone.

Thanks

randomlizard

Mar 28, 2015
Hi Sir,
Sir i have a Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830. I Tried to root it using Root Genius. Everything went good. But the device turned off by itself several times.

Then once again when it turned off i tried to turn it on, but it didnt.
It doesnt go to Recovery too but Download Mode is Working.

I tried to flash it back to Stock using Odin. Odin Flashes it correctly but att the end it shows a message ''Killer Timer'' which it didnt show before when i used to flash my device with the same odin. After flashing the phone doesnt Turn ON by itself rather i tried to boot it forcelly but i didnt.

In Short It Seems to me that the Recovery and Boot are wiped out of my phone.

Thanks
I saw it somewhere mention that:
if using none stock bootloader, and the device was rooted.
then u have to unroot first, b4 to clear cache or do factory reset.
(btw, i don't know if it true or not.)

if u had tried every software method , and still out of luck ,
maybe the jtag riffbox is your only hope,so send it to the phone repair shops.
(the phone repair shops that can revive your phone must have that.
and i don't think many people will buy one for themselves, unless they wanna write or play around the custom firmware all the time.)

Last edited:

Dr.Ghobar

Dec 8, 2014
Dear helpers
Hello,
It is unfortunare that recently probIems and questions are not answered in their threads.
According to the thread "CWM 6.0.4.8 Advanced Edition / PhilZ Touch Recovery 6.40.1" (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2691135&page=2), I tried to install the recovery but I encountered the following problem:
After giving " flash_image recoveryonly /sdcard/recovery.img" command, terminal emulator returns the following error:
"flash_image: not found"
I have put the downloaded "recovery.img" in the root of sdcard.
What is wrong?

thanks in advance
Dr.Ghobar

D

Deleted member 7424973

@Dr.Ghobar type it correctly and before anything type su in terminal or might be your phone does not have the flash_image binary in /system/bin.
YOU can download it and paste it to system/bin and chmod it to 0755

Dr.Ghobar

Dec 8, 2014
@Dr.Ghobar type it correctly and before anything type su in terminal or might be your phone does not have the flash_image binary in /system/bin.
YOU can download it and paste it to system/bin and chmod it to 0755

1. I typed the command correctly.
2. Before anything I typed su.
3. My phone does have the flash_image in /system/bin.

But I do not understand your last point: "and chmod it to 0755". Please explain it to me.

D

Deleted member 7424973

Another simple way

Sorry for troubling you, but this can be the problem:
While working on Android or Windows Terminal, the command you type is searched in directories contained in the PATH environment variable.

So type the following:
Code:
su
cd /system/bin
flash_image recoveryonly /sdcard/<recovery_name>.img

NOTE: You need to replace '<recovery_name>' by the name of the file.
If it is a zip extract it using Root Explorer and Extract the recovery.img file out to the main folder of the SD Card(/sdcard or /mnt/sdcard)

This will work;)

Dr.Ghobar

Dec 8, 2014
Download Root Explorer
Go to /system/bin
Locate flash_image
By long pressing it click security and it should look like
R W X
x x -
x - -
x - -

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Visit http:// http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-install-a-custom-recovery-to-an-android-phone-device/
It has listed each and every possible way.

It was the way you said. When I typed and entered the command "flash_image recoveryonly /sdcard/recovery.img", I received this message: "flash_image: permission denied".
Then I changed the permissions as follows:
R W X
x x x
x x x
x x x
This time I did not receive that error but I received another error: "error scanning partitions: No such file or directory".

D

Deleted member 7424973

Hang on before u actually do anytthing type
su
To get root access
Then change permissions to
R W X
X X X
X - X
X - X

Dr.Ghobar

Dec 8, 2014
"Can't mount /system..." after installing PhilZ Touch Recovery 6.40.1;and Cannot boot

I installed CWM 6.0.4.8 Advanced Edition / PhilZ Touch Recovery 6.40.1, by flashing its zip through cwm 5.0.2.6.
1. But as the attached picture shows, it can't open or mount /cache/recovery....
What is this problem and how it can be solved?
2. The device can not boot any more!
3. Even restoring full backup does not work. When restoring starts, it says "Can't mount /system..." (look at attachment)

D

Deleted member 7424973

Do not worry you are getting worried unnecessarily
Cwm 5.0.2.6 is the best recovery for our poor SGA so do not flash other recoveries
You just have a faulty recovery.
Download fastboot binaries for windows and i know you know how to extract recovery.img from its zip
Paste the recovery of cwm 5.0.2.6 and fastboot binary in C:\ or D:\ and open cmd
In command prompt type
cd ..\
Until you see only
C:\>
Then
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
In sideload mode of your recovery generally in advanced section of the main page
If it does not work probably you need to reflash stock rom in odin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THREAD UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Guys, this thread has been merged with KingAce's help thread. This thread currently does not support other devices such as the AceI and Ace2, but ONLY the Samsung Galaxy Ace
    So kindly ask your questions in the respective Q&A sections.
    Ace 2 help thread- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2146002
    AceI help thread- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2089279

Hey guys,

Hopefully,this will help reduce the large number of "My phone is bricked,please help me" threads :)

Feel free to ask any question regarding the ace and we will try to answer your question.

If anyone is found to be abusing new members for asking questions in this thread, they will be reported!

Thread index:
    2nd post- FAQ
    3rd post- Useful links

Moderator list:

There are 9 moderators assigned to this section. If incase a member tries to bully you, don't hesitate to contact them.

Hall of Fame:

The idea with the Hall of Fame is that, the most contributing(helpful) members will be added to the OP. :)
    KingAce
    121C4

Credits:
    KingAce for his great help
    undercover for the help thread idea
    RC Community​
    [HELP THREAD]Ask ANY Question here! Noob/Newbie friendly.[ACE/ACEi/ACE2]

NOTE : No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! No question is stupid in this thread.

undercover said:
    There are a lot of people joining xda on daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked which fill up Development threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions. Idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in the direction where that user can find an answer and educate himself

Orginal idea by Undercover, as quote implies.

Ask ANY Question here, no matter how noobish you feel it is, You will either get a direct answer or will get pointed in the right direction. :)

BUT, I strongly advise you read this before you post!

XDA New user guide - Getting started on XDA by mf2112

Anyone and Everyone can ask/answer questions here. :)
    Allright, if you've read it, go on and check out POST #2 for links to useful threads, some may already have the answer to your question, so have a look first ;)
    Hello all, I just installed the latest GingerReal and have 2 problems
    1) Viber doesn't work, I get a black screen and than a wait/force close window. I reflashed the ROM to no use...

2) the arabic patch on there forum is broken and the forum is closed so I couldn't ask about it

I was on a cyanogen mod 7 ROM but it was slow. I'm looking strictly for speed and stability over everything else.

If you feel cyanogenmod is slow then go buy a SGSIII.
    :cool:

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda premium
    Im on Apocolypse ROM.. Im having a prob problem with Whatsapp. this is true for all ROMs. Im losing connection to whatsapp on GPRS. Not always but most of the time. It works fine on Wi-fi. On GPRS everything else works except for whatsapp.. Switching MobileData off and then on again resolves this. But i cant keep doing it all the time. Also i dont know when it stops responding and hence lose imp msgs sometimes.. any help will be appreciated..
    Problem with Network.Its caused by ****ty net connections in India :mad: If you need to update WhatsApp,then you need to send some message,only then will WhatsApp update itself.Even i had this problem too :(
    Hello Guys.

I'm new to all this and have tried to read as much as I can before coming to ask for your help.

My ACE has the new CM7.2-DEMOCRACY™ NT EDITION [04.11.12] [FireKernel OC] ROM installed, which has the 1.2.6 Holo Launcher as default but I have a problem. The "ICS type Search Widget" that can be activated BESIDES the normal Google Search Widget just shows a blank space and it does not work at all. It does not show the translucent "Google" in the left or the little translucent microphone on the right. When I press on it, absolutely nothing happens. If I activate the normal Google Search widget, it works perfectly.

I have re-flashed the ROM several times but have had no luck. Might this be a problem with Holo Launcher 1.2.6?

I have tried searching the forums for a solution but so far have found nothing. If there is a thread that might help, I would really appreciate it if you could point me in it's direction.

For any help you might provide, I thank you in advance.

Happer.- ?8^P

Install VoiceSearch.apk.