[APP] Note 2 Hidden Settings [Easily Change Hidden CSC Features]

Search This thread

nagasgura

Jul 20, 2010
Play Store Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.steinapps.note2hiddensettings&hl=en
Donate Version Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.steinapps.note2hiddensettingspro

This app enables you to easily change hidden settings on your Note 2 (and possibly other Samsung devices), such as:
  • Adding a shutter sound on/off option to the camera
  • Turning on Infinite Scroll mode on the launcher and app drawer
  • Extending how many contacts you can join together
These modifications normally can only be made by manually editing a system file, which can be dangerous and very inconvenient. This app makes the process quick and painless.

Features:
  • Shows which options have already been enabled, even by a different app or manually
  • Creates an automatic backup in case something goes wrong
  • Nice looking Holo interface
  • Supports devices which implement feature.xml or an others.xml file (all Touchwiz roms)
  • Adds a custom tag to the system file that allows you to easily tell what has been changed

Screenshots:
ldrvMxZ.png

Changelog:
Code:
1.6:
Added a new feature to have a home page button in the browser menu
Added ads to support the development of this app and further similar apps. 
You can shut them off my pressing the menu key, but theyl help support the app. 
Alternatively, you could also buy the new donate version that has no ads and no permissions.

1.5:
Fixed a problem that caused all the features not to work
Fixed a problem that caused certain phone features not to work
Added much more languages to the sumsymbols including Russian and Spanish (confirmed working)

1.4:
Fixed file permission issues that caused the backup to not be applied

1.3:
Added a new Sound Settings category.
Sound settings has a Shutter Sound option so if the shutter sound menu didn't work, you can turn it off this way

1.2:
Added 5 more features:
- Call Duration menu in the call log of the stock dialer
- Camera during calls
- Folder View in the messaging app
- Automatically power on the phone before an alarm (might not work)
- Make the background color of the Email app white instead of black

1.1:
Fixed problem causing some of the options to display as off even when turned on

1.0:
Initial Release (16 options)

If it doesn't seem to get root permissions and the reboot now option doesn't work:
Make sure that the XPrivacy app isn't blocking it from getting root permissions

For anyone having trouble with the app and the Reset to Default button isn't working:

• Use Root Explorer, ES File Explorer or a similar app to go to the /system/csc directory
  • Delete the feature.xml file
  • Rename the feature_backup.xml file to feature.xml
  • Make sure the file permissions on the new feature.xml are rw-r--r--:
    • Owner: Read, Write
    • Group: Read
    • Others: Read

If you have any questions, feature requests, or bugs, PM me and I'll fix them ASAP.

Attachments

• Note2HiddenSettings1.4.apk
    256.3 KB · Views: 1,412
  • Note2HiddenSettings1.5.apk
    256.5 KB · Views: 428
  • Note2HiddenSettings1.6.apk
    292.1 KB · Views: 538
  • Note2HiddenSettings1.7.apk
    380.6 KB · Views: 348
  • Note2HiddenSettings1.8.apk
    385.3 KB · Views: 6,188
Last edited:

llawarta

Jul 22, 2011
Hi

I have a Note 1 and I applied some CSC hacks for Note 2 listed in this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2033894

And works flawlessly, I have: keyboard subsymbols, camera shutter sound menu and exit menu in browser.

Nice attempt but the app only detects the 'exit menu in browser' as enabled ignoring the other changes.

Also do not forget for keyboard subsymbols hack a language must be chosen (the app miss the option to choose a language for subsymbols) using another tag, by example:

<CscFeature_Sip_EnableSymbolInSecondary>es;es_US;en_US</CscFeature_Sip_EnableSymbolInSecondary>

I'm attaching my others.xml file, maybe can help you debugging the mentioned problems.

Attachments

• others.zip
    422 bytes · Views: 303

nagasgura

Jul 20, 2010
Hi

I have a Note 1 and I applied some CSC hacks for Note 2 listed in this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2033894

And works flawlessly, I have: keyboard subsymbols, camera shutter sound menu and exit menu in browser.

Nice attempt but the app only detects the 'exit menu in browser' as enabled ignoring the other changes.

Also do not forget for keyboard subsymbols hack a language must be chosen (the app miss the option to choose a language for subsymbols) using another tag, by example:

<CscFeature_Sip_EnableSymbolInSecondary>es;es_US;en_US</CscFeature_Sip_EnableSymbolInSecondary>

I'm attaching my others.xml file, maybe can help you debugging the mentioned problems.

I believe that I have fixed the change detection issue, it was caused by the fact that some of the lines in the others.xml had TRUE instead of true. It should work correctly now. Are you sure your phone doesn't also have a feature.xml file, because the file you included doesn't look like what my app would usually output. Anyway, I attached the new fixed version, please let me know if it displays correctly. I'll get working on the subsymbols issue.

Attachments

• Note2HiddenSettings.apk
    253.3 KB · Views: 893
Reactions: manbat

mankind_18

May 14, 2012
Jakarta
Will these work for custom rom? When I'm running stock rom a few months ago, these work flawlessly by editing others.xml.. But now in liquidsmooth rom, I can't find others.xml nor csc folders :silly:

llawarta

Jul 22, 2011
I believe that I have fixed the change detection issue, it was caused by the fact that some of the lines in the others.xml had TRUE instead of true. It should work correctly now. Are you sure your phone doesn't also have a feature.xml file, because the file you included doesn't look like what my app would usually output. Anyway, I attached the new fixed version, please let me know if it displays correctly. I'll get working on the subsymbols issue.

Thanks for the quick reply and fix.

Yeah my fault I copied from the other thread these values 'as is' and worked fine, but I recently notice the value of the tag CscFeature_Web_EnableAutoSimHomeUrlInProfile and it is on uppercase also, I didn't change that value, so the rom has it originally or it was generated.

I'm using stock JB german version (N7000XXLT4 N7000OXALT4 from dr.Ketan thread) rooted using PhilZ kernel.

There is no feature.xml, only a new file feature_backup.xml I believe created by your app.

I just tested the fixed version and detects the changes but applying some hacks the file generated seems malformed, the app create inside tag <features> another child tag <features> when apply changes, I don't think will work or am I wrong?

Attached a compare from original file and the modified

Attachments

• winmerge_csc_01.jpg
    winmerge_csc_01.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 2,311

nagasgura

Jul 20, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply and fix.

Yeah my fault I copied from the other thread these values 'as is' and worked fine, but I recently notice the value of the tag CscFeature_Web_EnableAutoSimHomeUrlInProfile and it is on uppercase also, I didn't change that value, so the rom has it originally or it was generated.

I'm using stock JB german version (N7000XXLT4 N7000OXALT4 from dr.Ketan thread) rooted using PhilZ kernel.

There is no feature.xml, only a new file feature_backup.xml I believe created by your app.

I just tested the fixed version and detects the changes but applying some hacks the file generated seems malformed, the app create inside tag <features> another child tag <features> when apply changes, I don't think will work or am I wrong?

Attached a compare from original file and the modified

Adding the extra <FeatureSet> tags will work fine, at least in my testing. If it doesn't work for you, let me know.

Reactions: manbat

MBariya

Mar 1, 2012
Jamnagar

If there is other.xml file, then no feature.xml file in CSC folder. This app will edit that other.xml file instead feature.xml file and feature_backup.xml is backup file.

Good app. Works perfect on stock MG1 rom. Hope some more features will come. :good:

llawarta

Jul 22, 2011
Hi,

I just tested more deeply and works fine almost all supported CSC codes on my device. Great App!

Because I edited manually the file before use this app some values are being duplicated on every save, I think try to merge the before changes will result in a hell, worst if will support more CSC tags and features.

IMHO I suggest you this logic:

1. Exists backup the file? backup : skip
2. Import all the CSC (known and unknown) and keep it on memory
3. Edit known values or add it if not exists
4. To save dump CSC on memory to the file with overwrite
5. Jump to 1.

I think with this scheme you will avoid to merge changes. :highfive:

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
awesome..going to give this a try on my s4

also confirmed it works on my sprint sgs4

I did notice two discrepencies though with the s4

1. In that the app shows the search contacts by dialer as off, but I can still do it on my s4

2. "enable rotation control icon" in gallery was turned off, but it is already available on my s4

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Hi,

I just tested more deeply and works fine almost all supported CSC codes on my device. Great App!

Because I edited manually the file before use this app some values are being duplicated on every save, I think try to merge the before changes will result in a hell, worst if will support more CSC tags and features.

IMHO I suggest you this logic:

1. Exists backup the file? backup : skip
2. Import all the CSC (known and unknown) and keep it on memory
3. Edit known values or add it if not exists
4. To save dump CSC on memory to the file with overwrite
5. Jump to 1.

I think with this scheme you will avoid to merge changes. :highfive:

I'm not sure what you mean. I already had edited the CSC files manually to enable shutter menu and take pictures while on call (which is not an option in this app

and when i opened the app the first time, it showed as "enable shutter sound menu" as on, because I had already manually edited that CSC option

PLEASE, PLEASE make a S4 app for this!!

guitardoc64

Sep 26, 2007
Lake Charles,LA
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
also confirmed it works on my sprint sgs4

I did notice two discrepencies though with the s4

1. In that the app shows the search contacts by dialer as off, but I can still do it on my s4

2. "enable rotation control icon" in gallery was turned off, but it is already available on my s4

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

I'm not sure what you mean. I already had edited the CSC files manually to enable shutter menu and take pictures while on call (which is not an option in this app

and when i opened the app the first time, it showed as "enable shutter sound menu" as on, because I had already manually edited that CSC option

PLEASE, PLEASE make a S4 app for this!!

Or make it a Samsung galaxy phones app. This could go a lot further once it has been confirmed working on more devices.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

ttkyles

Jul 3, 2009
nice... but shutter sound toggled to off but still makes sound..also gallery rotation button greyed out.
suggestions? im on a gn2 sprint .stock rooted

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

MBariya

Mar 1, 2012
Jamnagar
nice... but shutter sound toggled to off but still makes sound..also gallery rotation button greyed out.
suggestions? im on a gn2 sprint .stock rooted

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reboot phone once to take effect. Rotation will be fixed. If want to rotate image, then press that button.

Sent from my GT-N7100

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Play Store Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.steinapps.note2hiddensettings&hl=en
    Donate Version Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.steinapps.note2hiddensettingspro

This app enables you to easily change hidden settings on your Note 2 (and possibly other Samsung devices), such as:
    • Adding a shutter sound on/off option to the camera
    • Turning on Infinite Scroll mode on the launcher and app drawer
    • Extending how many contacts you can join together
    These modifications normally can only be made by manually editing a system file, which can be dangerous and very inconvenient. This app makes the process quick and painless.

Features:
    • Shows which options have already been enabled, even by a different app or manually
    • Creates an automatic backup in case something goes wrong
    • Nice looking Holo interface
    • Supports devices which implement feature.xml or an others.xml file (all Touchwiz roms)
    • Adds a custom tag to the system file that allows you to easily tell what has been changed

Screenshots:
    ldrvMxZ.png

Changelog:
    Code:
    1.6:
    Added a new feature to have a home page button in the browser menu
    Added ads to support the development of this app and further similar apps. 
    You can shut them off my pressing the menu key, but theyl help support the app. 
    Alternatively, you could also buy the new donate version that has no ads and no permissions.

1.5:
    Fixed a problem that caused all the features not to work
    Fixed a problem that caused certain phone features not to work
    Added much more languages to the sumsymbols including Russian and Spanish (confirmed working)

1.4:
    Fixed file permission issues that caused the backup to not be applied

1.3:
    Added a new Sound Settings category.
    Sound settings has a Shutter Sound option so if the shutter sound menu didn't work, you can turn it off this way

1.2:
    Added 5 more features:
    - Call Duration menu in the call log of the stock dialer
    - Camera during calls
    - Folder View in the messaging app
    - Automatically power on the phone before an alarm (might not work)
    - Make the background color of the Email app white instead of black

1.1:
    Fixed problem causing some of the options to display as off even when turned on

1.0:
    Initial Release (16 options)

If it doesn't seem to get root permissions and the reboot now option doesn't work:
    Make sure that the XPrivacy app isn't blocking it from getting root permissions

For anyone having trouble with the app and the Reset to Default button isn't working:

• Use Root Explorer, ES File Explorer or a similar app to go to the /system/csc directory
    • Delete the feature.xml file
    • Rename the feature_backup.xml file to feature.xml
    • Make sure the file permissions on the new feature.xml are rw-r--r--:
      • Owner: Read, Write
      • Group: Read
      • Others: Read

If you have any questions, feature requests, or bugs, PM me and I'll fix them ASAP.
    Hi ,First of all thanks for all your hard work.

I have been using csc features in all kind of roms from android to windows for a long time so i had to try your app:D

When i tried your app in my modified stock ROM( latest note 2 uk rom) i noticed i had lost all my previous csc hacks, i had to find out why.

I my case you app is malformating the xml (feature.xml)file therefore rendering it useless, i have found where the problems are and editing the file all the features come back.
    Attached are the files from your app and the one fixed so you can compare it.

other fixes....
    enable camera on call is missing a more than(>)character and therefore rendering the the code lines below it useless, here is the correct code:
    <FeatureSet><CscFeature_Camera_EnableCameraDuringCall>true</CscFeature_Camera_EnableCameraDuringCall></FeatureSet>

Suggestions:
    in order to enable keyboard symbols for all languanges at once use this code:
    CscFeature_Sip_UseSymbolInCMKey>true</CscFeature_Sip_UseSymbolInCMKey>
    <CscFeature_Sip_EnableSymbolInSecondary>es_US;en_GB;en_US;en_AU;en_CA;en_PH;en_IE;en_NZ;en_ZA;ko_KR;de_AT;de_CH;de_DE;fr_FR;fr_CH;fr_BE;fr_CA; bg_BG;cs_CZ;da_DK;el_GR;es_ES;et_EE;fi_FI;ga_IE;hr_HR;hu_HU;is_IS;it_IT; lt_LT;lv_LV;mk_MK;ms_MY;nb_NO;nl_NL;nl_BE;pl_PL;pt_PT;pt-BR;ro_RO;sr_RS;sv_SE;tr_TR; ca_ES;eu_ES;gl_ES;kk_KZ;ru_RU;sk_SK;sl_SI;uk_UA;uz_UZ;az_AZ;hy_AM;ka_GE;

Also here is a picture of the file created by your app with the errors pointed out, i hope it helps in improving the app, many thanks.

XML%20errors.jpg
    Please add this feature if possible.

Add call Button in contact and call log list.

<CscFeature_Contact_EnableCallButtonInList>true</CscFeature_Contact_EnableCallButtonInList>

Ok, I'll add it in the next update.

you deserved more thanks for this apps
    why are people so cheap to click thanks button

Thanks for the kind words, glad you liked it!
    Hi ,First of all thanks for all your hard work.

I have been using csc features in all kind of roms from android to windows for a long time so i had to try your app:D

When i tried your app in my modified stock ROM( latest note 2 uk rom) i noticed i had lost all my previous csc hacks, i had to find out why.

I my case you app is malformating the xml (feature.xml)file therefore rendering it useless, i have found where the problems are and editing the file all the features come back.
    Attached are the files from your app and the one fixed so you can compare it.

other fixes....
    enable camera on call is missing a more than(>)character and therefore rendering the the code lines below it useless, here is the correct code:

Suggestions:
    in order to enable keyboard symbols for all languanges at once use this code:

Also here is a picture of the file created by your app with the errors pointed out, i hope it helps in improving the app, many thanks.

Thank you!!! I was just emailing one of my users who was having the same problem as you, you just saved me a lot of time. If I ever make a paid version or a different paid app, you'll be the first to get it for free. Attached is the fixed version of the app:
    Version 1.3

Here's the new version 1.3 of the app, with a Sound Settings menu. Anyone who couldn't get the shutter sound menu to work should be able to use this instead.
    I'm also working on a fix for the sub symbols.