Slow native bluetooth tethering speed? Try this.

Search This thread

noctrin

Sep 6, 2011
I was going nuts because my watch was getting 0.02 Mb/s download over bluetooth tether. I found out that connecting through a phone without gear manager solved this problem, so i figured something is throttling the speed.

I'll post explanation at the end for those interested but, this should fix it for you:

1) You need something with a high bt polling rate that sends very little data, gear location bridge will do well
2) Using gear location bridge, connect it and set the 'gps location bridged' toggle - this has a high polling rate and will drain your battery a lot faster, but you can use it only when you need to.

With that enabled, your download speed should be over 1 Mb/sec.

My best explanation:

- Gear Manager is reserving a lot of bandwidth causing the tether to be much slower, or it is somehow limiting the rate.
- Enabling the high polling rate allows the data to piggyback on the gps packets and as a result increases your tethering speed.

For me, without that enabled i was getting terrible ping, 0.02 Mb/sec download, with that enabled i get about 200ms ping and 1.2Mb/s download.

I'm happy with this fix. I'm not familiar with android dev and won't even dare try to dig through the api to find a more elegant solution, but if someone else with the knowledge can, i'm sure it would help quite a few people.

Reactions: h00rj

h00rj

Aug 22, 2008
Daytona
I was going nuts because my watch was getting 0.02 Mb/s download over bluetooth tether. I found out that connecting through a phone without gear manager solved this problem, so i figured something is throttling the speed.

I'll post explanation at the end for those interested but, this should fix it for you:

1) You need something with a high bt polling rate that sends very little data, gear location bridge will do well
2) Using gear location bridge, connect it and set the 'gps location bridged' toggle - this has a high polling rate and will drain your battery a lot faster, but you can use it only when you need to.

My best explanation:

- Gear Manager is reserving a lot of bandwidth causing the tether to be much slower, or it is somehow limiting the rate.
- Enabling the high polling rate allows the data to piggyback on the gps packets and as a result increases your tethering speed.

For me, without that enabled i was getting terrible ping, 0.02 Mb/sec download, with that enabled i get about 200ms ping and 1.2Mb/s download.

I'm happy with this fix. I'm not familiar with android dev and won't even dare try to dig through the api to find a more elegant solution, but if someone else with the knowledge can, i'm sure it would help quite a few people.

Nice find! I'll give it a try later tonight.

Would just disabling Gear Manager have the same effect??

noctrin

Sep 6, 2011
Nice find! I'll give it a try later tonight.

Would just disabling Gear Manager have the same effect??

In theory, yes. But i haven't tried it. Initiating a BT connection will automatically initialize Gear Manager, i could freeze it from titanium but i have a feeling i would have to freeze all the services as well since they seem to activate independent of the main Gear Manager app. I also had a lot of trouble making it run stable on my Nexus 4, took me a few tries to get past connecting so i'd rather not mess with it.

This also seems to be affecting a small subset of people, assuming that everyone was getting a few KB/sec downloads, there would be more discussion and work being done to fix this.

h00rj

Aug 22, 2008
Daytona
I tried just disconnecting in Gear Manager and I noticed a substantial speed boost... Maybe a tasker / taskgear setup can temporarily disable Gear Manager when you want a boost.

Reactions: ronfurro

ronfurro

Oct 24, 2013
O-Town
That would explain why turn-by-turn navigation works so smoothly and refreshes quickly when GLB is running continuously. Great find!

Sent from my SM-V7000 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

My best explanation:

I tried just disconnecting in Gear Manager and I noticed a substantial speed boost... Maybe a tasker / taskgear setup can temporarily disable Gear Manager when you want a boost.