[Q] AT&T Galaxy Note 2 on T-Mobile full speed data?

Search This thread

cgalyon

Jul 19, 2009
I've looked around on the forum and elsewhere on the internet and found mixed/conflicting information with respect to getting better than Edge speeds on an AT&T Note 2 on T-Mobile's network. AT&T's Note 2 appears to support the frequencies for T-Mobile's network (e.g., 1700MHz according to http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsung-GALAXY-Note-II-AT-T_id7500). I'm guessing that it's not as simple as flashing a new modem. Does anyone know if it is possible to get an AT&T Note 2 running on T-Mobile's network at higher data speeds than Edge? I'm SIM unlocked and rooted, but haven't tried flashing a radio or modem yet.

I've seen some reports suggesting that it won't work, that there is no way to make the AT&T Note 2 work on T-Mobile's HSPA+ network (hardware limitations). I'd like to find out if that's true so I know if I should return my AT&T Note 2 and exchange it for a T-Mobile model. Wish the carriers wouldn't make this stuff so damned complicated.

*Edit* Saw on another forum that somebody suggested changing the APN settings. I might give that a try, but seeing as the AT&T modem is using 1700MHz for a different radio tech (LTE), I'm not sure it would be able to reconfigure it for HSPA+. If someone knows for sure, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

cgalyon

Jul 19, 2009
Update: Spoke with a T-Mobile rep at length. The rep stated that the AT&T Note 2 radio *should* be compatible with T-Mobile's 3G/4G services. However, we were unable to get it to work. Perhaps the biggest obstacle is that there is no "Network mode" menu option within Settings->Mobile networks. Thus there appears to be no way to directly set the network operating more (e.g., GSM, HSPA+, LTE...).

Planning to speak with tech support for a while to try to get more info.

cgalyon

Jul 19, 2009
And the conclusion to this: Unless one is inclined to flash a new ROM for it (which isn't a bad option), then it doesn't appear that the AT&T Galaxy Note 2 is easily used with full data throughput on T-Mobile's 3G/4G service. It may be as simple as flashing a T-Mobile ROM onto it. I haven't found enough information on the hardware in both versions, but what I've read here on XDA leads me to believe they're identical, in which case ROM flashing should be simple. On the other hand, if there was a difference in the radio, then it should be necessary to adjust for that by flashing the appropriate modem (also available here on XDA).

At the moment, it appears possible, just not trivial. Because I'm currently carrier-agnostic (e.g., T-Mobile, StraightTalk:AT&T/T-Mobile) I will probably just exchange my AT&T version for the T-Mobile version, which has superior software.

rob00

Jan 4, 2013
AT&T Note 2 on T-mobile 3G/4G?

And the conclusion to this: Unless one is inclined to flash a new ROM for it (which isn't a bad option), then it doesn't appear that the AT&T Galaxy Note 2 is easily used with full data throughput on T-Mobile's 3G/4G service. It may be as simple as flashing a T-Mobile ROM onto it. I haven't found enough information on the hardware in both versions, but what I've read here on XDA leads me to believe they're identical, in which case ROM flashing should be simple. On the other hand, if there was a difference in the radio, then it should be necessary to adjust for that by flashing the appropriate modem (also available here on XDA).

At the moment, it appears possible, just not trivial. Because I'm currently carrier-agnostic (e.g., T-Mobile, StraightTalk:AT&T/T-Mobile) I will probably just exchange my AT&T version for the T-Mobile version, which has superior software.

Were you able t o find any solution? or did you just get the tmobile version of the note 2? Also, is the t-mobile version superior to the AT&T version? I read somewhere that the tmobile version can not do 4G LTE and is not future proofed. or is it better to unlock the tmobile version and use it on at&t if needed?

chris0160

May 11, 2010
Inglewood
There is a hidden menu I have a sprint note 2 and all I have to do is ##3282# and enter my msl then go into others and select hdr or somthing / 1x

hnic32

Dec 20, 2009
Indiana
Were you able t o find any solution? or did you just get the tmobile version of the note 2? Also, is the t-mobile version superior to the AT&T version? I read somewhere that the tmobile version can not do 4G LTE and is not future proofed. or is it better to unlock the tmobile version and use it on at&t if needed?

Here's what you're looking for:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2068041

i have my at&t note 2 running on tmobile with dc-hpsa 42mbps!

Reactions: rob00

hnic32

Dec 20, 2009
Indiana
Are you able to use tmobile wifi calling?
Are you using the at&t stock android build or tmobile?

I was hoping to be able to "transform" an at&t note 2 into a tmobile note 2.

Any help would be appreciated :)[/QUOT
I have a t-mobile rom that allows me to use wifi calling. it also has the new multi window update on it. i'll find the link for you.

hnic32

Dec 20, 2009
Indiana

Any help would be appreciated :)
Sorry, pc just whacked out on me!!!
I have a t-mobile rom that allows me to use wifi calling. it also has the new multi window update on it. i'll find the link for you.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Any help would be appreciated :)

here you go: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2026569

Last edited:

bookburner

Jan 19, 2012
Sorry, pc just whacked out on me!!!

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

here you go: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2026569

Hey I got a question I was thinking about buying a bad ESN at&t note 2 and flashing a T-mo ROM and modem. I was just wondering does the phone have to be sim unlocked by att or will t-mo be able to sim unlock it ? Also would I still have to call customer service and activate the phone or can I just pop in my sim card from my existing contract/phone? Never bought a bad ESPN phone before but am very comfortable with flashing radios and roms and modems etc... just wasn't sure about the unlocking.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here's what you're looking for:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2068041

i have my at&t note 2 running on tmobile with dc-hpsa 42mbps!