For newcomers to this amazing community

Search This thread
G

GuestK0087

First off, my apologies if a similar thread has already been posted. I have never seen one. I'm creating this thread to try to stress the importance of reading the OP's and entire threads of any ROM or MOD or any topics for that matter. Many questions that you may have, probably have already been answered within those threads. Redundant questions clog threads and hamper development discussion. Even if it may take a bit of time to read an entire thread, it will benefit everyone involved if you do. Our development community is incredibly rich with talent and skills and we, the users and flashers are most grateful to the developers for the time and knowledge they share with us. So please, keep threads clear by carefully reading instructions and trying to find any issues you may be having listed within the thread itself. Reading is beneficial, trust me. Again, if a similar thread has already been posted, I ask that the moderators remove this. I've just seen way too many questions posted repeatedly in all the threads I follow. After all, you will increase your own skill level by reading about all issues, even if you aren't currently experiencing it. Thanks to all who keep our devices updated and interesting.

EVOlved human

Last edited:

lreyes

Jun 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Samsung Galaxy S22
[RANT]This user base. Aka the EVO LTE forums.

Why don't we start worrying about us and not them? They don't want to deal with XDA anymore ATM so just leave them be. Don't mention their names just pretend that this is a new device and we ourselves have to figure stuff out on our own. Got a question? SEARCH&READ, can't find it? Post a thread in Q&A. Mentioning them and talking about them isn't going to solve the cancer/problems you guys are. Not everyone is a problem just you guys make everything a problem. Try looking for your problem for a good 10 minutes on Google or XDA's Search Function. Not that hard people. I believe this is XDA-DEVELOPERS not the discuss about off topic things and what not. You got something useful post it here. If not don't post at all or if the thread have a Q&A post it there. If you got a question...again READ&SEARCH and don't ask it in here. If any ROM thread has a Q&A post it there. I think their problem with you guys is that most of us are just users and don't contribute anything and act like we care what's going on all you guys do is ask questions without even researching. Don't PM for your problems search it up or PM someone who isn't a Dev. For example say Corporal_modernback (lol example here) is the dev of the Rom you're using. DON'T PM THEM FOR LITTLE QUESTIONS LIKE "HEY HOW DO YOU FIX THIS TOGGLE OR HOW DO YOU GET YOUR PHONE TO DO TRIANGLES" PM THEM if you got a useful thing that they might need. If not them ask someone like me. I'm tired of seeing all this goodbye bull****. No offense to Captain and Sin but this is getting out of the line and YOU GUYS (THE PUBLIC/THE USERS) SHOULD START DOING S*** AND STOP BEING SPOILED PANSIES AND STOP EXPECTING **** TO BE DONE FOR YOU.

Thing is the devs here have lives. They're not robots on the computer that make these cool roms just for you.

Just my two cents. Feelings are welcomed.

Last edited:
G

GuestK0087

Deleted to help clean up the mod edit.

EVOlved human

Last edited:

akaTRAP

Mar 2, 2014
I'd like to think I'm not too much of a noob since I'm not "scared" of technology & modifying things I "shouldn't be touching". I can't count how many times I tried to dual-boot Windows and Linux, and completely scrap the former for the latter (fun times)...........................but I'm still trying to figure out what's the point of flashing a kernel :p

But even being a noob to cell phones and rooting/flashing them, XDA is laid out well enough for someone that can at least understand new technological things quickly to be able to know what's going on with their phone and what they can/can't do and should/shouldn't do to it to achieve what they want. :D

thicklizard

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2011
Crown Point
I'd like to think I'm not too much of a noob since I'm not "scared" of technology & modifying things I "shouldn't be touching". I can't count how many times I tried to dual-boot Windows and Linux, and completely scrap the former for the latter (fun times)...........................but I'm still trying to figure out what's the point of flashing a kernel :p

But even being a noob to cell phones and rooting/flashing them, XDA is laid out well enough for someone that can at least understand new technological things quickly to be able to know what's going on with their phone and what they can/can't do and should/shouldn't do to it to achieve what they want. :D

A custom kernel will unleash extra features for your device. First thing I flash is a custom kernel ;)

Sent from my HTCONE

Reactions: akaTRAP

exSD

Apr 6, 2009
n some cases the documentation is very wild and very on-the-go. Documentation is built over time and usually doesn't start off very well and can put-off certain users. Though that's not the problem.

What users need to understand that these development ROMs are not what you'd call a real release build. You're essentially testing everything that comes out... and that means it will have bugs. These ROMs, until "stable," are not plug and play type solutions. You are there to work with it and fix things. It always happens.

Change these user's mindset because that is the root cause. They think they're getting something that will be 100% what they want. It's not.

akaTRAP

Mar 2, 2014
A custom kernel will unleash extra features for your device. First thing I flash is a custom kernel ;)

Sent from my HTCONE

Honestly, unless it greatly improves battery life, I'm not exactly concerned with the other benefits lol. I'm not necessarily needing an overclocked CPU.

However if a kernel makes a 4.4.x ROM more stable, then please let me know so I can flash one immediately :D

dsEVOlve

Sep 2, 2010
Honestly, unless it greatly improves battery life, I'm not exactly concerned with the other benefits lol. I'm not necessarily needing an overclocked CPU.

However if a kernel makes a 4.4.x ROM more stable, then please let me know so I can flash one immediately :D

You're totally preaching to the wrong choir.

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

AarSyl

I'm not sure that you even understand why the kernels improve battery life. Custom kernels have much much more to bring to the table that simple overclocking, which is also something that most people do not do anymore since we don't have many single core decides these days.

Most kernels focus first on increasing performance. But by getting good performance, you get optimization from the processors, which results in better battery life (Intellidemand governor, anyone?).

If you want to greatly improve battery life, underclock your phone. You don't need a custom kernel to do that. But your phone will certainly suffer the speed differential that ours with custom kernels will not.

thicklizard

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2011
Crown Point
I'm not sure that you even understand why the kernels improve battery life. Custom kernels have much much more to bring to the table that simple overclocking, which is also something that most people do not do anymore since we don't have many single core decides these days.

Most kernels focus first on increasing performance. But by getting good performance, you get optimization from the processors, which results in better battery life (Intellidemand governor, anyone?).

If you want to greatly improve battery life, underclock your phone. You don't need a custom kernel to do that. But your phone will certainly suffer the speed differential that ours with custom kernels will not.

Agreed too many people think all a custom kernel does is oc the the cpu. They don't understand the features they provide. S2w, USB fast charge, better cpu governors(better battery life), better io schedulers, build optimizations, etc...

Sent from my HTCONE

Mike Boogie

Feb 6, 2013
Atlantis
Ok, back on topic for a sec...

I have been holding my tongue and just sitting back watching all of the shenanigans that have been going down between Dev's and Noobs both. Honestly, I'm going to say that both parties are to blame in some fashion. (More on that in a second...)

As you can see my post count is not very high here. I have lurked...and read...and learned...and flashed...and broke things...read some more...and fixed even more things. With everything I have learned from this "amazing" community, I have been able to make my EVOLTE do some really truly amazing things. Some people have gone out of their way to help and make sure that the XDA-experience is a good one. Some, on the other hand have not... That happens with every forum in existance. There will be jerks, trolls, noobs, fools, and people who just wont use the search function, RTFM, etc.

There are "other" forums available that have a lot of info about Android development, none IMHO that happen to be as organized and concise as XDA. The down-side is that XDA has gotten a reputation for being full of pretentious as$holes. We've all heard it at least once... "XDA sucks, no one helps anyone, they hate noobs, etc." I digress...

My experience has been lukewarm at best. I, for one, know that I know almost nothing about dev'ing. I would love to learn more but between age, having a family, work (2 jobs BTW), I probably won't be able to just "RTFM" for dev'ing. Another thing that most don't care to think about is that maybe some of us that are uninitiated WOULD LIKE TO LEARN MORE. But AFAIK there are no threads specifically for EDUCATING us that want to learn more about how these devices work. (I'd love to see some)

Now, I may cut a bit deep here but here goes... This topic probably has been brought up due to the questions popping up all over the Sense5.5 dev thread. I think I may know why since I watched it unravel. When the thread was created, there was of course the standard disclaimer, (Broke it? Your fault, not mine) the download link, and the normal reserved posts for extra documentation.
Aside from that, the Q & A that is now posted, was copied from another thread AFTER I was shamed by @Sinistertensai for simply asking a question that WAS NOT posted in the thread YET!
Thankfully @FinZ28 and others created a thread just for Q/A. A thread I have yet to post in because I get all of my questions usually answer by searching threads. (That would also explain my tiny post count...)

In closing, I just want to say I know the Dev's are busy! @chubbzlou @Captain_Throwback @Sinistertensai @FinZ28 This hard work is not unappreciated in any way guys and THANK YOU!
I would love to learn more about how you all work your magic on these phones. I just don't want to get treated like a prick for asking a dumb question. The dumbest questions are the one's that are never asked.

2 pennies.

G

GuestK0087

I have been holding my tongue and just sitting back watching all of the shenanigans that have been going down between Dev's and Noobs both. Honestly, I'm going to say that both parties are to blame in some fashion. (More on that in a second...)

As you can see my post count is not very high here. I have lurked...and read...and learned...and flashed...and broke things...read some more...and fixed even more things. With everything I have learned from this "amazing" community, I have been able to make my EVOLTE do some really truly amazing things. Some people have gone out of their way to help and make sure that the XDA-experience is a good one. Some, on the other hand have not... That happens with every forum in existance. There will be jerks, trolls, noobs, fools, and people who just wont use the search function, RTFM, etc.

There are "other" forums available that have a lot of info about Android development, none IMHO that happen to be as organized and concise as XDA. The down-side is that XDA has gotten a reputation for being full of pretentious as$holes. We've all heard it at least once... "XDA sucks, no one helps anyone, they hate noobs, etc." I digress...

My experience has been lukewarm at best. I, for one, know that I know almost nothing about dev'ing. I would love to learn more but between age, having a family, work (2 jobs BTW), I probably won't be able to just "RTFM" for dev'ing. Another thing that most don't care to think about is that maybe some of us that are uninitiated WOULD LIKE TO LEARN MORE. But AFAIK there are no threads specifically for EDUCATING us that want to learn more about how these devices work. (I'd love to see some)

Now, I may cut a bit deep here but here goes... This topic probably has been brought up due to the questions popping up all over the Sense5.5 dev thread. I think I may know why since I watched it unravel. When the thread was created, there was of course the standard disclaimer, (Broke it? Your fault, not mine) the download link, and the normal reserved posts for extra documentation.
Aside from that, the Q & A that is now posted, was copied from another thread AFTER I was shamed by @Sinistertensai for simply asking a question that WAS NOT posted in the thread YET!
Thankfully @FinZ28 and others created a thread just for Q/A. A thread I have yet to post in because I get all of my questions usually answer by searching threads. (That would also explain my tiny post count...)

In closing, I just want to say I know the Dev's are busy! @chubbzlou @Captain_Throwback @Sinistertensai @FinZ28 This hard work is not unappreciated in any way guys and THANK YOU!
I would love to learn more about how you all work your magic on these phones. I just don't want to get treated like a prick for asking a dumb question. The dumbest questions are the one's that are never asked.

2 pennies.

Very well said. Kudos. :)

EVOlved human

chubbzlou

Jul 24, 2007
NYC

2 pennies.

People all over XDA pm me with question on how to port and ask for advice I am more than willing to help out anyone if they want to learn. I don't mind answering question about anything just I do get annoyed when ppl ask the same question that has been answered many time in the thread or question about issue because they are coming from cm rom to sense rom and flash with out wiping and complaining about FCs. I agree us Dev's do take it a little too far but ppl need to understand that we get frustrated about non sense. We do this for fun but it's starting to feel like and old toy that out live it's use.

If you are willing to learn and have sometime pm with any question you like.

Reactions: AarSyl

NaterTots

Feb 7, 2012
CT
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 7T
. Another thing that most don't care to think about is that maybe some of us that are uninitiated WOULD LIKE TO LEARN MORE. But AFAIK there are no threads specifically for EDUCATING us that want to learn more about how these devices work. (I'd love to see some)

There are numerous threads in the xda general section and also if you use Google many times it will point you to a different device forum on xda that will have a "how to" thread that had nothing to do with that specific device. There is more info out there than you could possibly read.

It's just not all in this devices forum. Which it doesn't need to be.

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

TonyStark R.I.P.

Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
We've all heard it at least once... "XDA sucks, no one helps anyone, they hate noobs, etc." I digress...

As with anything in life, we remember the bad much longer then we do the good. With a bazillion members, we are bound to have a few that know how to invoke bad reactions

Another thing that most don't care to think about is that maybe some of us that are uninitiated WOULD LIKE TO LEARN MORE. But AFAIK there are no threads specifically for EDUCATING us that want to learn more about how these devices work. (I'd love to see some)

XDA University

We mods are always here. While we may not answer in a timely fashion, suitable for some, we too are only human and get to peoples reports ASAP. Please always use the report button when you feel the ground comming out from beneath you. @FinZ28 is one of XDAs shinning examples of a Recognized Contributor. he gained his stripes by helping. Without the RC group, there would be much more chaos then what you have encountered.

I'm sorry you feel this way. It's a rarity of Devs (now a day) to determine the capability of any user.

Now consider the average 10 - 15y/o that comes in and demands attention (this of course never happens) and the end run is, had they read the slightest, they would have found an answer. Sadly today, this is the norm on XDA! That is what our Developers deal with.

While some Devs can be harsh or down right immature, we are here to try and keep the peace between the fractions.

And let me end with these parting words... Do not take offense to this, but see the humor XDA back in the 4 million member realm

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We've all heard it at least once... "XDA sucks, no one helps anyone, they hate noobs, etc." I digress...

As with anything in life, we remember the bad much longer then we do the good. With a bazillion members, we are bound to have a few that know how to invoke bad reactions

Another thing that most don't care to think about is that maybe some of us that are uninitiated WOULD LIKE TO LEARN MORE. But AFAIK there are no threads specifically for EDUCATING us that want to learn more about how these devices work. (I'd love to see some)

XDA University

We mods are always here. While we may not answer in a timely fashion, suitable for some, we too are only human and get to peoples reports ASAP. Please always use the report button when you feel the ground comming out from beneath you. @FinZ28 is one of XDAs shinning examples of a Recognized Contributor. he gained his stripes by helping. Without the RC group, there would be much more chaos then what you have encountered.

I'm sorry you feel this way. It's a rarity of Devs (now a day) to determine the capability of any user.

Now consider the average 10 - 15y/o that comes in and demands attention (this of course never happens) and the end run is, had they read the slightest, they would have found an answer. Sadly today, this is the norm on XDA! That is what our Developers deal with.

While some Devs can be harsh or down right immature, we are here to try and keep the peace between the fractions.

And let me end with these parting words... Do not take offense to this, but see the humor XDA back in the 4 million member realm

Agreed too many people think all a custom kernel does is oc the the cpu. They don't understand the features they provide. S2w, USB fast charge, better cpu governors(better battery life), better io schedulers, build optimizations, etc...

Sent from my HTCONE
    That wasn't his point. There is a thank button available for that. If you wanted to give the dev a logcat, you could'lve sent a PM. Besides, a logcat is only useful to the dev, not the general public, really....we don't need to know that you posted a logcat.
    You are correct but your point went a bit askew. In most cases a dev will make the statement, in the OP, asking people to post a lc. If you are a noob... you can PM the dev and explain your predicament.

The main reason for 10 post, is meant for "Joe Average". We used to have, way to many users starting out immediately posting in Development, with comments like "I'm new, is this ROM any good" - "will this damage my device" or one of my favorite (in a ROM thread) "how do I install ADB":eek:

Best for any new user to simply read and READ and post in Q&A or General for the first few posts.

Sorry that this may not be suitable to your liking, but this forum is called XDA Developers after all. Would you rather everything be closed to developers only?

2 pennies.
    n some cases the documentation is very wild and very on-the-go. Documentation is built over time and usually doesn't start off very well and can put-off certain users. Though that's not the problem.

What users need to understand that these development ROMs are not what you'd call a real release build. You're essentially testing everything that comes out... and that means it will have bugs. These ROMs, until "stable," are not plug and play type solutions. You are there to work with it and fix things. It always happens.

Change these user's mindset because that is the root cause. They think they're getting something that will be 100% what they want. It's not.