[GUIDE] A500 Back to Factory Stock the easy way.

Search This thread

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009
This is a good way to bring an A500 back to full stock from just about any rom, custom or stock rooted. You need to already have CWM installed.

WIPE SYSTEM/DATA/CACHE/DELVIC FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't already have your UID and SBK get those first and back them up in multiple locations!!!!!!!!!!!!

This quote is shamelessly plagiarized from an answer posted by Moscow Desire on a different thread. Drop in and say thanks to him if it does you some good.

When you install a custom Rom, you have to wipe the original Data first. This is done in the CWM recovery which you installed.

EDIT; Here are two Gen 1 roms provided by dibb_nz . Please say thanks to her.

HC_3.2_Gen_1_OTA_update.zip

HC 3.1_Gen_1_FULL_update.zip

When you boot to CWM Recovery, you have a menu item "Wipes"

In Wipes;
1. Data/Factory Reset (don't worry, it skips your photos and such)
2. Cache
3. Dalvik Cache

Wait, you're not finished.

Go back to the previous menu, and select "Mounts and Storage".
1. Format System
2. Format Flexrom

Now, go back to the previous menu, and select Install Zip from SD (or similar)

MD

You are going to lose all data. I make nandroid backups with data toggled everytime that I do anything to my tablet. Do you?

After following the above instructions,
Just simply flash a stock 3.2 image. It's really too simple. Flash it in recovery. This even works while using the patched bootloader by skryllax_cz. There are a selection of roms midway down this post and at the bottom. Any of them should work for this.

When the 3.2 finishes it's flash and you reboot. The tablet will show "Flashing Bootloader" under the custom skryllax_cz text.
It will reboot on it's own.

That's it. You should be able to OTA.
I recommend going to the Play store and downloading/install the Acer Update Enhancement utility after the tablet settles down.
However, my tablet downloaded a small update right away without it.

Here is an additional option as suggested by dibb_nz in the 11th post below. drop down and say thanks if it helped!

Just a thought, the update zips can be flashed in 2 ways.
If u use the stock recovery then rename the file to "update.zip" and remember to remove it from yr sdcard after you're done. This is really important!! You'll end up in strife if u don't!!

With a custom recovery then use install zip option.

With the 3.1 zip u can retrieve yr cpuid (if u need to) then update to the unlocked ICS bootloader directly. This isn't possible with the 3.2 zip

Have a gr8 day people:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium HD app

Good luck and please post your results. Thanks.

Here's a link to a stock 3.1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpdy13u4ufec461/Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1.zip. It is probably easier to go with one of the 3.2 roms below. But if you want it there it is.
(Directions; Flash the stock 3.1 (Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1.zip) AFTER WIPING SYSTEM/CACHE/DATA/DELVIC, reboot, then ota to ICS. After you do the first OTA and it reboots it will say a Flashing Bootloader message then reboot with all stock everything.)

Stock 3.2 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpdy13u4ufec461/Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1.zip

Stock 3.2 provided by dibb_nz - http://www.4shared.com/zip/GgHzZieZ/HC_32_update.html

Here are two Gen 1 roms provided by dibb_nz. Please say thanks to her.

New Link
jasenlee1984 had success using Acer_A500_7.006.03_COM_GEN1 3.2 rom from blackthund3r's stock firmware thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1816560
If it helps you, click his name and then the thanks button.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

I have included post 20 from below. It is a guide for getting recovery back should something go wrong. What it will do is install CWM as well as the V8 bootloader. After that you can start all over or flash whatever you want.

I prefer to use Blackthund3rs APX Flash Tool. To get the apx tool google this. blackthund3r apx tool

Basically what you will do is get the tool, open it, choose bundle market, choose 17, use default bct, enter APX download mode, and flash the V8 bootloader with CWM.

The steps are... (Copied from here.)

Step 1.
APXWalkthrough02.jpg

Step 2.
APXWalkthrough03.jpg

Step 3.
APXWalkthrough04.jpg

Step 4.
APXWalkthrough05.jpg
I used number 17.
Step 5.
APXWalkthrough07.jpg

Step 6.
APXWalkthrough08.jpg

Step 7.
APXWalkthrough09.jpg
I used the default since my tab was fried.
Step 8.
APXWalkthrough10.jpg
At this point you will have to choose to enter APX mode manually. Follow the instructions on the next screen.

Once you are in APX mode and plugged into the pc you should see the message APX device connected. Choose the next arrow, once it runs for a few seconds it will ask you to confirm that the APX download mode has started.
21_Old_Logo1-568x412.jpg

Once it has. Confirm and wait for it to finish. Get into CWM, flash the rom and you should be good to go.

But other than that you should be back to normal in no time.

Good luck.

And again with the links.

Here's a link to a stock 3.1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpdy13u4ufec461/Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1.zip. It is probably easier to go with one of the 3.2 roms below. But if you want it there it is.
(Directions; Flash the stock 3.1 (Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1.zip) AFTER WIPING SYSTEM/CACHE/DATA/DELVIC, reboot, then ota to ICS. After you do the first OTA and it reboots it will say a Flashing Bootloader message then reboot with all stock everything.)

Stock 3.2 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpdy13u4ufec461/Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1.zip

Stock 3.2 provided by dibb_nz - http://www.4shared.com/zip/GgHzZieZ/HC_32_update.html

New Link
jasenlee1984 had success using Acer_A500_7.006.03_COM_GEN1 3.2 rom from blackthund3r's stock firmware thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1816560

Last edited:

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
edit: update 16th Dec

GUYSnGURLZ I have uploaded a folder for you....its the 3.1 Full Update and includes iconiaroot.apk and acer recovery intaller.apk
There's also a readme file in there how to install, root and flash a custom recovery...enjoy
http://www.mediafire.com/?9hsmbilzz4c1a

@ jdgM3NT4L Excellent Post/Thread and thanks for this its sooooooo easy, nice find!

Last edited:

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009
hi m8 I have it uploaded to 4shared if that helps.

Hey thanks. I'd be glad to link to it if you don't mind.

Did this again yesterday on v6 still w8n for OTA, flashed v8from HC but nothing as yet,
maybe need v8 from ICS?? I give it a few hours more, missing stryker, lol.

Did you update from the Play Store that silly Acer Enhancement app or whatever it is called?

And thanks for this its sooooooo easy, nice find!

Thank you for all that you do here. You're really saving alot of peoples arses lately.

Kinda curious. Did this method work for the A501 folks?

hub826

Sep 10, 2011
not working for me

followed the instructions as posted, still waiting on the OTA update to ICS

i can't even boot into CWM now, i get a android robot with a yellow exclamation mark.

how can i fix it? plz help

thanks

Reactions: JdgM3NT4L

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009
The Stock rom that you put on is just that... Stock. So you lost CWM when you flashed it.

What you can do now is...

a: Wait for a little bit, check for updates again.
b: This one kind of blows the whole point of doing the downgrade in the first place. But... Use this and get Root. Install Acer Recovery Installer from the Play Store and install a custom recovery.
c: This one at your own risk. Mainly because I have not tested this way and I have no idea if the bootloader will flash properly or not. Go here and get the update for a 3.2 (Acer_A500_7.006.01_COM_GEN2) stock rom, then see if you can update the rest of the way to ICS. Be sure to put it in the root of your SD card and name it properly to update.zip. Then reboot as if you are going into CWM. If you want to wait until tomorrow I am downloading the roms tonight and I will test it. Should be finished by noon Central U.S. time (-06:00gmt)
d: Go here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1205204&highlight=cwm+honeycomb+3+1 and look around. See if any of the options there suit you better.

Good luck.
And if you have any more trouble say the word.

EDIT. I am having a pretty busy day. I'll have to try this a little later this afternoon. Sorry if you are waiting.

Last edited:

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City

Did you update from the Play Store that silly Acer Enhancement app or whatever it is called?

Thank you for all that you do here. You're really saving alot of peoples arses lately.

Ended up flashing my old 3.2 update.zip and it OTA'd me all the way to ICS from that??
Yep 2nd time I tried it I had enhancement app
PM'd u really links, I also uploaded the update. Zip if folks want it 7.006.03gen1

And thanks for yr kind words J all part of the service:D ;)

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium HD app

Turboboxer

Oct 7, 2011
ATLANTA
Frozen Goodness

Thanks for this easy pass. I used this yesterday and the OTA'd my way to ICS and then used Blackthun3ers tools to root and install the V8 bootloader. All in all it was pretty painless.

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009
Glad that it worked for you. I've updated the first post. Sorry for putting you through the extra step of installing 3.1. It seems to work even better when I just flash a nice stock 3.2.

New links posted for going directly to 3.2 Honeycomb Stock with factory bootloader in the OP.

And again. This is safe to do when running any bootloader. If you want full stock. This works well.

And thanks a million dibb_nz. So glad you're here to help out.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
If u use the stock recovery then rename the file to "update.zip" and remember to remove it from yr sdcard after you're done. This is really important!! You'll end up in strife if u don't!!

With the 3.1 zip u can retrieve yr cpuid (if u need to) then update to the unlocked ICS bootloader directly. This isn't possible with the 3.2 zip

Cannot confirm whether we can repair borked partitions with this, has anyone tried it??? Would save alot of probs some have had with drivers and apx mode...

Reactions: T-Macgnolia

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009

Cannot confirm whether we can repair borked partitions with this, has anyone tried it??? Would save alot of probs some have had with drivers and apx mode...

Thanks for adding the good info.
I agree with your assesment of 3.2 HC. It's really only good to me as a waypoint on the path to full stock ICS.
I don't know if the 3.2 rom repairs the partitions or not. I would not be terribly suprised if it did fix those.
You can flash the unlocked ICS bootloader to the 3.2. But, the only good ( And this is pretty good) thing that doing this does is...

On the reboot from the pass screen hold your volume rocker. Depending on the one that you press, you'll either get the boot options. Or you'll boot to CWM. It is great to fix the bootloop issue if you are as goofy as I was and forgot to wipe first.

Reactions: T-Macgnolia

hotsauce126

Dec 30, 2011
Athens, GA
This was how I tried to do it a few weeks ago, through the stock recovery, and I got stuck in a bootloop
BUT, I did the thing where you hold down Vol Up+ Power then flick the switch back and forth and that got me booted into stock HC

criminal666

Dec 28, 2011
Wow this is awesome! Cannot believe how easy this was. Worked flawlessly. I flashed the stock 3.2 rom, booted up and DL the acer app right away then checked for updates. After a few websites, I was on stock ICS. Thanks!

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
Thumbs up to every post in this thread

I used all of my daily thanks on this thread, it was more than helpful to me. The information in this thread is clear and precise as well as very easy to follow. Because of this thread I am now on stock Android 4.0.3 finally.

Let me give a little back story. I bought my Iconia A500 in August of 2011 and loved it. Within the first night I had it I had Clockwork Mod Recovery on it with a custom 3.2 ROM on it. I had my A500 for about 2 months and then life through me a curve and I lost my job week made my finances really tight so I had to pawn my beloved A500. I know I know how could I dare do that, but like I said my finances got bad tight. I managed to get another job about two months after I pawned it but I could not ever seem to get enough cash saved to get it out of pawn but I did manage to pay the renewal fee on it every month until this last Monday when I finally got it out of pawn.

Now I had been reading thread after thread to learn how to go back to stock so I could do the OTA update. I found this thread earlier today and now I after a flash of the file I downloaded from the four share link in the OP and three separate OTA updates my tablet is on ICS. A big thanks to everyone that posted in this thread. In my opinion it should be made a stickie.

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009
I used all of my daily thanks on this thread, it was more than helpful to me. The information in this thread is clear and precise as well as very easy to follow. Because of this thread I am now on stock Android 4.0.3 finally.

Let me give a little back story. I bought my Iconia A500 in August of 2011 and loved it. Within the first night I had it I had Clockwork Mod Recovery on it with a custom 3.2 ROM on it. I had my A500 for about 2 months and then life through me a curve and I lost my job week made my finances really tight so I had to pawn my beloved A500. I know I know how could I dare do that, but like I said my finances got bad tight. I managed to get another job about two months after I pawned it but I could not ever seem to get enough cash saved to get it out of pawn but I did manage to pay the renewal fee on it every month until this last Monday when I finally got it out of pawn.

Now I had been reading thread after thread to learn how to go back to stock so I could do the OTA update. I found this thread earlier today and now I after a flash of the file I downloaded from the four share link in the OP and three separate OTA updates my tablet is on ICS. A big thanks to everyone that posted in this thread. In my opinion it should be made a stickie.

Hope you get to enjoy your tablet now that you've got it back!

And thanks for the kind words. I'm very glad that it helped you.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator

We have some of the best people in the XDA community right here at this forum. Some really good helpers and knowledgable folks.

Makes me glad to be a Mod.

Kudos people.

MD

May 10, 2011
man i suck so bad at this. well, i followed all your steps exactly from what i could tell. i mean there weren't that many nor were they complicated. now i have a continuous android with gears logo that never ends when i boot normally and when i go to recovery its an android with an exclamation. wtf did i do to screw this so bad. do i need to run linux now to fix this garbage or just chuck this pos. damn acer, ever since i updated to ics it was downhill and me tryin to fix it since then. probably me just not leet enough to fix it myself im guessing. id appreciate any suggestions on how to dig myself out of this. thnaks.

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009
man i suck so bad at this. well, i followed all your steps exactly from what i could tell. i mean there weren't that many nor were they complicated. now i have a continuous android with gears logo that never ends when i boot normally and when i go to recovery its an android with an exclamation. wtf did i do to screw this so bad. do i need to run linux now to fix this garbage or just chuck this pos. damn acer, ever since i updated to ics it was downhill and me tryin to fix it since then. probably me just not leet enough to fix it myself im guessing. id appreciate any suggestions on how to dig myself out of this. thnaks.

Hi, sorry to hear that you are having problems. The good news is as long as you followed my big red warning about having your sbk you aren't in too bad of shape. The only reason to do the linux thing is if you did not get your sbk/uid.

There is more than one way to take care of this. I prefer to use Blackthund3rs APX Flash Tool. To get the apx tool google this. blackthund3r apx tool

Basically what you will do is get the tool, open it, choose bundle market, choose 17, use default bct, enter APX download mode, and flash the V8 bootloader with CWM. After that you can start all over or flash whatever you want.

Step 1.
APXWalkthrough02.jpg

Step 2.
APXWalkthrough03.jpg

Step 3.
APXWalkthrough04.jpg

Step 4.
APXWalkthrough05.jpg
I used number 17.
Step 5.
APXWalkthrough07.jpg

Step 6.
APXWalkthrough08.jpg

Step 7.
APXWalkthrough09.jpg
Step 8.
APXWalkthrough10.jpg
At this point you will have to choose to enter APX mode manually. Follow the instructions on the next screen.

Once you are in APX mode and plugged into the pc you should see the message APX device connected. Choose the next arrow, once it runs for a few seconds it will ask you to confirm that the APX download mode has started.
21_Old_Logo1-568x412.jpg

Once it has. Confirm and wait for it to finish. Get into CWM, flash the rom and you should be good to go.

But other than that you should be back to normal in no time. To get the apx tool google this. blackthund3r apx tool

Good luck.

EDIT; Here are two Gen 1 roms provided by dibb_nz. Please say thanks to her.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a good way to bring an A500 back to full stock from just about any rom, custom or stock rooted. You need to already have CWM installed.

WIPE SYSTEM/DATA/CACHE/DELVIC FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't already have your UID and SBK get those first and back them up in multiple locations!!!!!!!!!!!!

This quote is shamelessly plagiarized from an answer posted by Moscow Desire on a different thread. Drop in and say thanks to him if it does you some good.

When you install a custom Rom, you have to wipe the original Data first. This is done in the CWM recovery which you installed.

EDIT; Here are two Gen 1 roms provided by dibb_nz . Please say thanks to her.

When you boot to CWM Recovery, you have a menu item "Wipes"

In Wipes;
    1. Data/Factory Reset (don't worry, it skips your photos and such)
    2. Cache
    3. Dalvik Cache

Wait, you're not finished.

Go back to the previous menu, and select "Mounts and Storage".
    1. Format System
    2. Format Flexrom

Now, go back to the previous menu, and select Install Zip from SD (or similar)

MD

You are going to lose all data. I make nandroid backups with data toggled everytime that I do anything to my tablet. Do you?

After following the above instructions,
    Just simply flash a stock 3.2 image. It's really too simple. Flash it in recovery. This even works while using the patched bootloader by skryllax_cz. There are a selection of roms midway down this post and at the bottom. Any of them should work for this.

When the 3.2 finishes it's flash and you reboot. The tablet will show "Flashing Bootloader" under the custom skryllax_cz text.
    It will reboot on it's own.

That's it. You should be able to OTA.
    I recommend going to the Play store and downloading/install the Acer Update Enhancement utility after the tablet settles down.
    However, my tablet downloaded a small update right away without it.

Here is an additional option as suggested by dibb_nz in the 11th post below. drop down and say thanks if it helped!

Good luck and please post your results. Thanks.

New Link

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

I have included post 20 from below. It is a guide for getting recovery back should something go wrong. What it will do is install CWM as well as the V8 bootloader. After that you can start all over or flash whatever you want.

I prefer to use Blackthund3rs APX Flash Tool. To get the apx tool google this. blackthund3r apx tool

Basically what you will do is get the tool, open it, choose bundle market, choose 17, use default bct, enter APX download mode, and flash the V8 bootloader with CWM.

Step 1.
    APXWalkthrough02.jpg

Step 2.
    APXWalkthrough03.jpg

Step 3.
    APXWalkthrough04.jpg

Step 4.
    APXWalkthrough05.jpg
    I used number 17.
    Step 5.
    APXWalkthrough07.jpg

Step 6.
    APXWalkthrough08.jpg

Step 7.
    APXWalkthrough09.jpg
    Step 8.
    APXWalkthrough10.jpg

21_Old_Logo1-568x412.jpg

But other than that you should be back to normal in no time.

Good luck.

And again with the links.

New Link
    edit: update 16th Dec

GUYSnGURLZ I have uploaded a folder for you....its the 3.1 Full Update and includes iconiaroot.apk and acer recovery intaller.apk
    There's also a readme file in there how to install, root and flash a custom recovery...enjoy
    http://www.mediafire.com/?9hsmbilzz4c1a

@ jdgM3NT4L Excellent Post/Thread and thanks for this its sooooooo easy, nice find!
    hi m8 I have it uploaded to 4shared if that helps.

Did this again yesterday on v6 still w8n for OTA, flashed v8from HC but nothing as yet,
    maybe need v8 from ICS?? I give it a few hours more, missing stryker, lol.

And thanks for this its sooooooo easy, nice find!

Wow this is awesome! Cannot believe how easy this was. Worked flawlessly. I flashed the stock 3.2 rom, booted up and DL the acer app right away then checked for updates. After a few websites, I was on stock ICS. Thanks!
    This was how I tried to do it a few weeks ago, through the stock recovery, and I got stuck in a bootloop
    BUT, I did the thing where you hold down Vol Up+ Power then flick the switch back and forth and that got me booted into stock HC