[APP][2.3+] GMD Smart Rotate

Search This thread

StupidIdea

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2011
Everyone knows how annoying default Android rotation algorithm can be. So we tried to come up with better solution and this is how GMD Smart Rotate was created. It is co-developed by me and Vitalij (developer of Touch Screen Tune).

Smart screen rotation using front facing camera.
Smart keeping screen on using front facing camera.

This application replaces default Android screen rotation and add smart features:
- Use front facing camera to evaluate your face position and decide if device screen needs to be rotated.
- Automatically keep screen turned on while you are looking at it (Full version only).
- Lock rotation in landscape or portrait.
- Force rotate applications that does not allow rotation by default.
- Set per application rotation preferences (Full version only).
- Easy rotation preference access by pressing default Android lock rotation toggle.
- Rotation preferences widget and launcher shortcuts.
- Clockwise and Counterclockwise rotation shortcuts.
- Integrates with GMD GestureControl and GMD SPen Control using shortcuts.

Development version - may contain bugs!

Tested and working on:
- Samsung Galaxy S
- Samsung Galaxy S2
- Samsung Galaxy S3
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
- Samsung Tab 7.7
- Samsung Note1
- Samsung Note2
- Nexus 7
- Xoom
- HTC One X
- Motorola Atrix
- Nexus S
- Galaxy Nexus, Verizon Galaxy Nexus
- Droid Incredible 2
- Sony Xperia
- Sony Xperia Mini Pro

Last edited:

ungureanuc

Mar 27, 2010
The Land of Choice
Tried it on a P7500 tab and it doesn't work correctly. I get the correct toast message from the accelerometer (0, 90, 180, 270) but the screen doesn't turn, or, if it rotates, it remains on that position.

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
Tried it on a P7500 tab and it doesn't work correctly. I get the correct toast message from the accelerometer (0, 90, 180, 270) but the screen doesn't turn, or, if it rotates, it remains on that position.

Is it in launcher? By default Smart Rotate does not force rotation in applications that do not support rotation (same way like Android default rotation). If you want to force it you have to check 'Force rotate'.

ungureanuc

Mar 27, 2010
The Land of Choice
Is it in launcher? By default Smart Rotate does not force rotation in applications that do not support rotation (same way like Android default rotation). If you want to force it you have to check 'Force rotate'.

No, is not in an app, I just installed the apk and I've found that "issue" on the default screen, using Apex Pro. But I have started Maxthon browser and had same issue. As I aid, toast indicates correct rotation message, but it doesn't rotate accordingly.
Thanks for quick reply and if there's anything else, I'd be glad to be considered a "tester".. :good:

greivel2

May 13, 2011
I cannot install the app on my N7. But somehow the key to unlock it :D

But all I can say. Nice app. Keep on developing ;) i like your other apps as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Reactions: StupidIdea

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011

But all I can say. Nice app. Keep on developing ;) i like your other apps as well.

Thats strange, I developed in on N7 but havent tried to download from market yet. I will upload apk to XDA when I'm home.
Same key will work, if anything.

No, is not in an app, I just installed the apk and I've found that "issue" on the default screen, using Apex Pro. But I have started Maxthon browser and had same issue. As I aid, toast indicates correct rotation message, but it doesn't rotate accordingly.
Thanks for quick reply and if there's anything else, I'd be glad to be considered a "tester".. :good:

Could you try unchecking 'Smart Rotate use camera". I'm wondering if camera fails to get image. There are some technical difficulties acquiring image without keeping camera locked, but we solved it on every device we had available for testing. I will try to get my hands on P7500 and check what is going on. What ROM you use?

Last edited:

ungureanuc

Mar 27, 2010
The Land of Choice
Thats strange, I developed in on N7 but havent tried to download from market yet. I will upload apk to XDA when I'm home.
Same key will work, if anything.

Could you try unchecking 'Smart Rotate use camera". I'm wondering if camera fails to get image. There are some technical difficulties acquiring image without keeping camera locked, but we solved it on every device we had available for testing. I will try to get my hands on P7500 and check what is going on. What ROM you use?

Using Toldo's v7. (ICS). I'll try your suggestion and report back.

LE With "smart rotate using camera" off, it rotates normally, except the position 180° (upside down); here it turns to normal position (0*°). As said, the toast message display correct position of the rotation.
The same in maxthon browser.

L. L. E.g. forgot to mention, with "smart rotate using camera" enabled, the tab freezes and had to reset by button.

Last edited:

DHM47

Feb 10, 2012
I too am using a galaxy tab 10.1 (P7500) on the CM10 nightlies
and the screen sticks when Smart rotate using camera is checked
can you add an auto landscape/portrait(only landscape or only portrait)
and it doesn't rotate 180

Last edited:

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
I too am using a galaxy tan 10.1 (P7500) on the CM10 nightlies
and the screen sticks when Smart rotate using camera is checked
can you add an auto landscape/portrait(only landscape or only portrait)

Click notification to open rotation dialog.
You can choose auto rotate, portrait or landscape. If you check 'Force" it will rotate even apps that do not support rotation.
If you check 'Default for this app" it will remember this setting for current application only.
Is this what you were looking for?

I have an idea what might be wrong with camera I will upload test version when I'm home.

Last edited:

teorouge

Jul 29, 2008
Trento
Nice, really appreciate you porting the few (only?) Samsung features I actually like: do you need a hand with app translation (Italian over here)? Maybe you opened a getlocalization.org project already? ;)

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria

I have the same problem. When smart rotate using camera is on apps don't rotate. Or if they do, they remain in the same position.

When smart rotate using camera is switched off apps rotate. But it also rotates the home, while force rotate is unchecked in options. And I have not set defaults for any app yet.

One more question: when you open default settings a small dialog appears with 4 buttons. What's the last one on the right for?

Thanks for another smart idea!
:)

Sent from my EndeavorU using xda premium

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
I have the same problem. When smart rotate using camera is on apps don't rotate. Or if they do, they remain in the same position.

When smart rotate using camera is switched off apps rotate. But it also rotates the home, while force rotate is unchecked in options. And I have not set defaults for any app yet.

One more question: when you open default settings a small dialog appears with 4 buttons. What's the last one on the right for?

Thanks for another smart idea!
:)

If your launcher supports rotation then it does rotate even without "force". You can still set per app setting for launcher. Last button opens application preferences. This is mostly useful if you want to manage per app settings for all apps.

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
If your launcher supports rotation then it does rotate even without "force". You can still set per app setting for launcher. Last button opens application preferences. This is mostly useful if you want to manage per app settings for all apps.

No, my launcher is not supporting rotation but is rotated.

DHM47

Feb 10, 2012
Click notification to open rotation dialog.
You can choose auto rotate, portrait or landscape. If you check 'Force" it will rotate even apps that do not support rotation.
If you check 'Default for this app" it will remember this setting for current application only.
Is this what you were looking for?

I have an idea what might be wrong with camera I will upload test version when I'm home.

Sorry what i meant was the 180 rotation (reverse landscape )

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
Sorry what i meant was the 180 rotation (reverse landscape )

If you set for example Portrait then application will automatically rotate by 180 degree to inverse Portrait and back according to accelerometer. However if your device does not support inverse or application does not support rotation you have to check 'Force'. Same for Landscape.
Is that what you were looking for?

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
Update to 1.1

Update:
- Fixed: camera detection was not working on some devices.
- Do not rotate Home screen if it does not support rotation and "force" is not checked.

Uploaded APK in first post. Suspended market application till issues are solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: ungureanuc

ungureanuc

Mar 27, 2010
The Land of Choice
Update:
- Fixed: camera detection was not working on some devices.
- Do not rotate Home screen if it does not support rotation and "force" is not checked.

Updated Play Store and attached APK in first post.

Now it works with "smart rotate use camera", except for 180°, it stays on 0° (accelerometer and camera toast messages shows 180°).

L.E. Found something else... When I want to type something, even it is a mail, in browser or sms the tab is freezing with swype and the SmartRotate shuts down. Switched to default Samsung keyboard, the app doesn't freeze the tab, but now i cannot switch to other input method (from the status bar quick icon).
I also tried to force rotate the app "Awesome On Off" which is by default in portrait mode, the app is not switching to landscape and the SmartRotate app is shutting down...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Everyone knows how annoying default Android rotation algorithm can be. So we tried to come up with better solution and this is how GMD Smart Rotate was created. It is co-developed by me and Vitalij (developer of Touch Screen Tune).

Smart screen rotation using front facing camera.
    Smart keeping screen on using front facing camera.

This application replaces default Android screen rotation and add smart features:
    - Use front facing camera to evaluate your face position and decide if device screen needs to be rotated.
    - Automatically keep screen turned on while you are looking at it (Full version only).
    - Lock rotation in landscape or portrait.
    - Force rotate applications that does not allow rotation by default.
    - Set per application rotation preferences (Full version only).
    - Easy rotation preference access by pressing default Android lock rotation toggle.
    - Rotation preferences widget and launcher shortcuts.
    - Clockwise and Counterclockwise rotation shortcuts.
    - Integrates with GMD GestureControl and GMD SPen Control using shortcuts.

Development version - may contain bugs!

Tested and working on:
    - Samsung Galaxy S
    - Samsung Galaxy S2
    - Samsung Galaxy S3
    - Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    - Samsung Tab 7.7
    - Samsung Note1
    - Samsung Note2
    - Nexus 7
    - Xoom
    - HTC One X
    - Motorola Atrix
    - Nexus S
    - Galaxy Nexus, Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    - Droid Incredible 2
    - Sony Xperia
    - Sony Xperia Mini Pro
    New version 2.0.0

I uploaded new version
    2.0.0:
    - Redesigned application.
    - Fixed issues with camera application.
    - Added reverse modes.
    - Added mode to turn Smart Rotate off.
    - Android rotation lock now is taken into account and when it is 'locked' Smart Rotate is locked too.

I didn't post much lately as we were rewriting the application. Initial idea to change stock rotation with smart rotation was not working in some cases, like Camera application. On some devices it was too slow, so again - inconvenient. So we sit and think again how to properly incorporate it and decided it will be better if it is just one of the modes. So now there are 6 modes:
    1) Smart rotate: OFF - this is stock Android rotation.
    2) Smart rotate: ON - automatic rotation that forces all applications to rotate. If camera use is enabled it will use front facing camera to confirm rotation, so it won't rotate screen when you are lying in bed. Also it takes into account rotation lock (android) setting, so you can lock rotation in any orientation even for apps that do not support rotation by default. If camera use is disabled in settings it will work similar to stock rotation, but will force all applications to rotate.
    3) Portrait
    4) Reverse Portrait
    5) Landscape
    6) Reverse Landscape

Reverse modes were asked by many users so we added them and screen will not rotate by accelerometer anymore when in any of portrait/landscape mode. Old 'force' setting was removed and now all modes from 2 to 6 force rotation. Mode 1 does not force rotation as it is stock rotation.

Camera automatically will not be used for if applications that uses camera is running. This solved camera application fc on all our devices, so let me know if you still have problems.

So now it is possible to run stock rotation (mode 1) as global setting and only force portrait/landscape or enable Smart Rotation just for particular applications.

Let me know what you think about this change and if you have some suggestions.

P.S: If screen rotates in wrong orientation on your device with this new version, please post here. I cannot reproduce it but I want to fix this on devices where it is happening. But since a lot of code changed please try again this latest version.

Can GMD smart rotate includes lock screen rotation?

currently it doesn't affect lock screen. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-P6800 using XDA Premium HD app

We will add this.

Greetings :) first, thank you for this application. I just bought the pro version to replace some of Samsung's functionalities on cyanogenmod. And it's working great :p

However, it looks like firefox (version 19) prevents smart rotate to work correctly. I could not find any related post in this thread, hence this one.

Did anyone else experience this problem?
    Cheers.

Edit : forgot to mention that when activating toasts, they don't appear when firefox is launched. Doesn't look like to be related to full screen apps as it works well with moon reader.

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9300 avec Tapatalk

Thanks, I will take a look. Is firefox any good now? It used to lag a lot, so I don't use it lately.