How to restore stock

Search This thread
Jan 7, 2013
My rooted T-mobile Note did not like the OTA update it received today (hung at the samsung logo). I reflashed the rooted UVLG3 firmware image, following the instructions at http://androidlegend.com/how-to-root-t-mobile-galaxy-note-sgh-t879/. This worked, and I'm ignoring the OTA update for now.

I don't need root anymore, i didn't really use it anyways, I would like to get back to stock.

How do i get back to the stock/factory image? From http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1837907, I see items B (T879-STOCK RECOVERY IMAGE) and D (T879-STOCK BOOT IMAGE). In ODIN, do I need to load one or both of these in one the sections (Bootloader, PDA, Phone, CSC, or UMS) and would i then hit the "Start" button?

Thanks for any help.

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
Just go to Samfirmware.com and download the tar file for the T879. Put it in the PDA section and start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Jan 7, 2013
Thanks Charlie, that worked! In case any other newbie like me wants to know what to do, this is what i did:

1. Downloaded/installed Samsung Kies
  2. Downloaded Odin 3.07 from www __ android __ gs
  3. From samfirmware __ com, i searched for T879 and downloaded the file for "SGH-T879 USA (T-Mobile) 2013 January Android 4.0.4 T879UVMA1 T879TMBMA1". The ZIP file "T879UVMA1_T879TMBMA1_TMB.zip" has a large file called "HOME_T879UVMA1_CL892179_REV02_user_mid_ship.tar.md5", which I renamed to .tar
  4. Powered off the phone, removed battery, connected USB cable to computer and phone, inserted battery, press power/vol-up/vol-down then hit vol-up to get into download mode
  5. Started ODIN3 v3.07 (the box read 0:[COM4], message window read "<ID:0/004> Added!!")
  6. Pressed PDA button, loaded the TAR file
  7. Pressed START

Took about 4 minutes, then the green status bar finished, box above says RESET!, phone resets.

Message window:
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> boot.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/004> amss.bin
<ID:0/004> cache.img.ext4
<ID:0/004> mdm.bin
<ID:0/004> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/004> RES OK !!

The phone automatically reset and started the boot sequence, took a few minutes to load updates, and everything was groovy again. When i connect the phone to Samsung Kies on my computer, it now reads "This is the latest firmware" (used to read something like "we don't what firmware is loaded").

kim621973

Feb 28, 2011
How can i rooting the phone if i want to keep stock rom?
Do i have to do same as regular root?
Thank you.

Sent from my SGH-T879 using xda premium

JessSayin

Aug 25, 2012
OnePlus 5T
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Thanks Charlie, that worked! In case any other newbie like me wants to know what to do, this is what i did:

3. From samfirmware __ com, i searched for T879 and downloaded the file for "SGH-T879 USA (T-Mobile) 2013 January Android 4.0.4 T879UVMA1 T879TMBMA1". The ZIP file "T879UVMA1_T879TMBMA1_TMB.zip" has a large file called "HOME_T879UVMA1_CL892179_REV02_user_mid_ship.tar.md5", which I renamed to .tar
  4. Powered off the phone, removed battery, connected USB cable to computer and phone, inserted battery, press power/vol-up/vol-down then hit vol-up to get into download mode
  5. Started ODIN3 v3.07 (the box read 0:[COM4], message window read "<ID:0/004> Added!!")
  7. Pressed START

Took about 4 minutes, then the green status bar finished, box above says RESET!, phone resets.

Message window:

The phone automatically reset and started the boot sequence, took a few minutes to load updates, and everything was groovy again. When i connect the phone to Samsung Kies on my computer, it now reads "This is the latest firmware" (used to read something like "we don't what firmware is loaded").

I did the same but the phone still hangs at the Samsung logo after I get the TMo Galaxy Note logo.
I had CyanogenMod on it with TWRP and tried to do a restore (bad idea) that's when it bricked.
I got a USB jig to get me to download mode so Odin would see it. All was installed just great but still the logo..

angelf82

Mar 13, 2011
Just remember to flash the flash counter zip if u need to send it over to repairs with Samsung cus if they know ur phone is rooted they won't fix it cus rooting a device voids ur warranty... I flashcounter.zip everything I flash a rom... I usually flash that file last...

JessSayin

Aug 25, 2012
OnePlus 5T
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Problem solved

I did the same but the phone still hangs at the Samsung logo after I get the TMo Galaxy Note logo.
I had CyanogenMod on it with TWRP and tried to do a restore (bad idea) that's when it bricked.
I got a USB jig to get me to download mode so Odin would see it. All was installed just great but still the logo..

Got it going. Had to jump on a Windows XP 32 bit PC to get the USB drivers to see the phone. Thanks for the help.
Running great on stock.

angelf82

Mar 13, 2011
I have the update on my status bar but I'm wondering what did the update do for u? Can u post a screen shot of ur about phone info? Thnx

renlo21

Nov 2, 2012
I'm curious, can I flash the stock everything of t879 on my at&t note? I have the i717 switched fully to t-mobile with twrp. I want the ota to upgrade from 4.04

Sent from my SGH-T879 using Tapatalk 2

Aug 2, 2012
La Mesa, CA
www.uragon.com

I had to flash TWRP temporarily and wipe the phones emmc and flash the stock ROM again above instruction and worked. I guess before doing anything you should wipe/factory reset your phone first before flashing the stock ROM, this I can't test but just based on logical explanation.

darkron9

Dec 25, 2011
My solution for being stuck on the Samsung logo

I know the last post was done a year earlier, but I thought I'd share this information I learned yesterday. After numerous flashing attempts My Note was stuck on the samsung logo.

I had soft bricked my Note by not clearing out the data on my phone. The previous post here gave me a clue and not being really good at this, I wasn't able to install and get TWRP to play nice with my non-working stock rom image. But I was still able to get the the Samsung Recovery and Download modes.

The working solution (borrowed from a post by andersbot on another thread) was:

1. Go to Recovery mode. Do a "clear cache" and next a "wipe data". Then reboot.
2. Go to Download mode and then connect to a XP PC and start up Odin. Be sure to use the latest Samsung USB drivers.
3. Flash with Odin using ther stock firmware downloaded from sammobile.com. Only tick the boxes for f.reset time and autoreboot (Odin default). Click PDA and load the downloaded file renamed with .tar at the end instead of .tar.md 5.

I dont know if this was the easiest way to clear the data on my SGH-T879, but it worked, and my Note started up correctly with the stock rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just go to Samfirmware.com and download the tar file for the T879. Put it in the PDA section and start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

7. Pressed START

Message window:

thanks all I just learn something from this:good: