[APP][v1.8 (+US)] SGS3 Easy UMS - Mount external microSD card as USB mass storage

Search This thread

harise100

Oct 20, 2011
Doesn't work for me either!

I'm kind of puzzeled how this can work in the first place. I thought the S3 has no UMS because Samsung didn't want to pay the license fee.

Doesn't UMS require some kind of driver/modules on the device and are they present regardless of licensing ??

Can somebody please enlighten me?

gumpelstilzchen

Mar 28, 2010
same for me:( only 2 empty drives on Win7 64

Strange. Does it work with a card reader? Then we would at least know that the filesystem isn't the problem.

Do you maybe have a slightly different SGS3? I guess it could be possible that this method doesn't work on all devices.

Have you tried a phone reboot?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA

Reactions: BoneMo

BoneMo

Jun 25, 2009
Prague
Strange. Does it work with a card reader? Then we would at least know that the filesystem isn't the problem.

Do you maybe have a slightly different SGS3? I guess it could be possible that this method doesn't work on all devices.

Have you tried a phone reboot?

tried reboot, Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8 Consumer Preview 32bit, 4 usb connectors, even wrote the usb mass storage command that this app do into shell...but nothing....so maybe you must have a good luck to make it work
and when i unmound sdcard in phone and put it to card reader...it works and is on FAT32 for being sure

a Randomly working script i would say

Last edited:

BoneMo

Jun 25, 2009
Prague
Works like a charm! Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

how ? have you unmounted sdcard in phone to make it work or something like that ?

i have tried reboot, Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8 Consumer Preview 32bit, 4 usb connectors, even wrote the usb mass storage command that this app do into shell...but nothing

dehaani

Oct 3, 2010
I'm kind of puzzeled how this can work in the first place. I thought the S3 has no UMS because Samsung didn't want to pay the license fee.

Doesn't UMS require some kind of driver/modules on the device and are they present regardless of licensing ??

No, UMS is a standard driver and it's the basis for many USB device drivers. There are no patent or licensing issues that I know of. Although FAT32 is patented by Microsoft but that's not an/the issue here.

The reason UMS is not used is to keep the filesystem available to applications. UMS denies the phone access to it's internal storage when it's in use and can cause redundant data replication across storage devices etc.

ArbiterGR

Jun 23, 2011
Athens
how ? have you unmounted sdcard in phone to make it work or something like that ?

i have tried reboot, Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8 Consumer Preview 32bit, 4 usb connectors, even wrote the usb mass storage command that this app do into shell...but nothing

Nope nothing like that,I started the app, gave it root permissions with supersu and then i connected the device to the usb port on my pc. It recognised it and populated the external sd. That's all. I'm on windows 7 x64 with the latest samsung drivers posted around here.

BoneMo

Jun 25, 2009
Prague
Nope nothing like that,I started the app, gave it root permissions with supersu and then i connected the device to the usb port on my pc. It recognised it and populated the external sd. That's all. I'm on windows 7 x64 with the latest samsung drivers posted around here.

strange...i did the same and result is..no external sd connected to pc

malshadows

Dec 10, 2011
Holy S*** it works!! thanx alot man.. i'm running on windows 7 ultimate x64..

But I've always had problems connecting my phone to the pc at my work place though, it juz doesn't have android_drivers installed and couldn't detect my phone.. hopefully this will help.. Will update once i've tried it on my work comp.. :)

SlimJ87D

Jan 16, 2008
tried reboot, Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8 Consumer Preview 32bit, 4 usb connectors, even wrote the usb mass storage command that this app do into shell...but nothing....so maybe you must have a good luck to make it work
and when i unmound sdcard in phone and put it to card reader...it works and is on FAT32 for being sure

a Randomly working script i would say

Last edited:

Inc

Aug 11, 2006
I am trying hard to figure out the advantage of this?
What do you people want to do with it?

/Inc

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

makimo2989

Jun 15, 2012
Well you made it sound like your computer and phone broke...

Sorta... I can't just connect via the USB cable anymore... have to take out the MicroSD card to put in a card reader to transfer any files and reverse the whole process to access any new files... it's kinda tedious... and in the first place, it doesn't work... I know the risk so I kept quiet and asked if it can be reversed... :)

gumpelstilzchen

Mar 28, 2010
Sorta... I can't just connect via the USB cable anymore... have to take out the MicroSD card to put in a card reader to transfer any files and reverse the whole process to access any new files... it's kinda tedious... and in the first place, it doesn't work... I know the risk so I kept quiet and asked if it can be reversed... :)

It can. By rebooting.

SlimJ87D

Jan 16, 2008

Yeah, for us to help you elaborate more on what happen. Hopefully what the guy above said works out for you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This app will make the external (not the internal!) microSD card of your Samsung Galaxy S3 (International, US versions, International LTE) available as USB mass storage device.

Also reported working on Galaxy Note 2, see compability list below.

Most important commands in this app:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27282116&postcount=58
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28151372&postcount=133
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28670285&postcount=1

Thanks d4fseeker :good:

:angel: If you like the app, please consider donating by buying this app or via PayPal (see link on the left, below username etc.) :good: Some people gave 1 star reviews to the app although I think I'm extremely clear with stating that this is only a donation app - but I can't change that :(

Compability
    Code:
    MODEL / ROM / KERNEL / APP VERSION / CONFIRMED BY

WORKING:
    GT-I9305 (LTE) / ? / ? / 1.8 / Jarmezrocks
    SGH-I317 (AT&T Note 2) / I317UCALJ2 / ? / 1.8 / dabuck
    GT-N7100 (Intl Note 2) / ? / ? / 1.8 / geovass
    GT-I9300 (International) / Stock (LFB) / Stock / 1.5 beta / woaloo
    GT-I9300 (International) / CM10 / ? / 1.5beta / lubluchka
    SGH-I535 (VZW) / ? / ? / 1.4beta / open1your1eyes0
    SGH-T999 (T-Mobile US) / ? / ? / 1.4beta / gr4p3s
    ?

NOT WORKING:
    ?
    I can only test it on my own GT-I9300; please report back your success with the information needed in the table above.

If you have a custom kernel, you have to make sure there is one of the three possible lun files available (see Problems section).

Regarding US versions: Starting with 1.4beta, it also works with US versions (see here). This may not be the case for all variants, so please report back with the information needed in the compability table.

Problems? Not working?
    Report the exact problem, model/ROM/kernel/etc., the exact error message and the results of the following commands (use Terminal Emulator or something similar):
    Code:
    mount

ls /sys/devices/platform/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun0/file
    ls /sys/devices/virtual/android_usb/android0/f_mass_storage/lun_ex/file
    ls /sys/devices/virtual/android_usb/android0/f_mass_storage/lun/file

mount | sed 's/ on / /g' | grep extSdCard | cut -f 1 -d ' '
    Note: Only ONE of the three ls commands must be successful (file exists)

You may need to replace "extSdCard" in the last command with the mount point name of your external sd card (e.g. external_sd or sdcard1 for CM10)

If the last command does fail, there is probably something wrong with your BusyBox installation. You should reinstall it - I recommend this app.

On some Win7 PCs, these steps may be needed:
    Now follow these steps:

1. On your Windows 7 computer you will see it will try to install “SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device” as one of the drivers and fail *this is normal*
    2. Go into Device Manager on your computer, right click “SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device” and select “Properties”
    3. Click on the “Driver” tab and click the “Update Driver” button, a prompt will then come up
    4. Select “Browse my computer for driver software”, then select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer” on the next screen
    5. Select “USB Mass Storage Device” as the new driver from that list and finish up that install
    6. At the end you will see something like this on your computer – Screenshot Here
    7. Windows will install final drivers automatically and a new “Disk drive” will show up on your computer, this is your external SD card on your device

Keep in mind that it is not possible to get access to the internal storage as USB mass storage device.

Get the "extSdCard is being accessed by [...]" message? Wait until the app accessing the sd card has finished, stop it yourself or reboot.

Changelog
    Code:
    - added support for third lun file, should work with GT-I9305 (Intl LTE version) now

- fixed recognition failure if "mount" output contained "on" as the second column (e.g. Siyah kernels)

- fixed code so that it (hopefully!) works with recent CM10 versions again
    - made some error messages clearer
    - drop of "beta" name doesn't actually mean much by the way, but I think it looks a bit cleaner this way and does not make a difference

1.5beta
    - added support for CM10 sd card paths (/mnt/external_sd and /mnt/sdcard1)

1.4beta
    - added alternative method for users without s3c-usbgadget (may work on US versions)

v1.3beta
    - rewrote the whole logic
    - now opens Play Store entry of BusyBox if it is not yet installed
    - notifies user if device seems to lack s3c-usbgadget module
    - notifies user which apps are accessing the extSdCard
    - generally better and more precise error messages

v1.2beta2
    - added info about busybox requirement (maybe this will be removed later)
    - added link to donation app

v1.2beta
    - Automatically tries to unmount extSdCard before starting UMS mode. This will fail if some app is accessing it, so just wait or cancel that app if you know it and try again - possibly several times. This prevents the potential data loss with previous versions.
    - It now checks the location of the extSdCard device. This should help with compabilty, e.g. for US versions.
    - Added some log output and toasts (2s delay)
    - Added link to this thread and version number in app
    - It's a beta so please beware, but I think the worst probable thing that can happen is that it does not work (e.g. it does not start UMS if it cannot unmount the extSdCard).
    - Dammit, the whole day is already over

v1.1
    - Added option for going back to MTP

v1.0
    - Initial release

Screenshot_2012-07-05-17-00-18.png

Download
    v1.8: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/sgs3-easy-ums/SGS3-Easy-UMS-v1.8.apk

v1.7: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/sgs3-easy-ums/SGS3-Easy-UMS-v1.7.apk

v1.6: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/sgs3-easy-ums/SGS3-Easy-UMS-v1.6.apk

v1.5beta: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/sgs3-easy-ums/SGS3-Easy-UMS-v1.5beta.apk

v1.4beta: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/sgs3-easy-ums/SGS3-Easy-UMS-v1.4beta.apk

v1.3beta: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/sgs3-easy-ums/SGS3-Easy-UMS-v1.3beta.apk

v1.2beta2:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/SGS3_Easy_UMS_v1.2beta2.apk

v1.2beta: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/android/SGS3_Easy_UMS_v1.2beta.apk

v1.1: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/SGS3_Easy_UMS_v1.1.apk

v1.0: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22760184/SGS3 Easy UMS.apk
    (also, it's attached)

Credits: d4fseeker, Sakaschi, bazald, dAKirby309 (icon), RootTools devs

Code:
    Uses RootTools project, which is made available by Stephen Erickson,
    Chris Ravenscroft, Dominik Schuermann, Adam Shanks under Apache
    License Version 2: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
    It is not working on s4 revolution 8.0 Rom based on stock 4.3
    Just tried mounting in UMS mode and get error:

Could not get path of external sd card (extSdCard/external_sd/sdcard1). Maybe it's unmounted?

Rebooted and got the same error...

This didn't happen with v43.2 and stock kernel. Any ideas?

Ok. Tried the usb debug switch. Didn't change anything. De-installed Easy UMS. Installed SG USB Mass Storage Enabler. All working correctly!

Sorted. Thanks.
    I am currently working on a Tasker-based replacement for this app. It does the same thing, but only automatically when you plug in the phone into a PC. It's under testing right now. I will post it in a new thread and let you guys know about it for further testing when I'm done. It will allow you to customzie the mount point and will be more easily adapted to other ROMs.
    It should work with CM10 now :fingers-crossed:

Regards