Cm 11 keyboard on omnirom?

Search This thread

lowsnamebrand

Mar 8, 2011
I'm loving omnirom the battery life is amazing and runs incredibly smooth. As a long time cyanogenmod user the only thing Im missing is the keyboard with the long press for question marks,comas, ect. So I had the idea to extract the keyboard from a Cm nightly, problem is it wouldn't install because of the original keyboard installed in omnirom(installed names matched). I also tried uninstalling the keyboard with titanium BU and then installing the keyboard, which worked, but once again problem arose because when i update to the next omni nightly it overwrites the keyboard with the stock omni keyboard.

Has anyone found a way to installed the CM keyboard on omnirom with out removing the original omni keyboard? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
I'm loving omnirom the battery life is amazing and runs incredibly smooth. As a long time cyanogenmod user the only thing Im missing is the keyboard with the long press for question marks,comas, ect. So I had the idea to extract the keyboard from a Cm nightly, problem is it wouldn't install because of the original keyboard installed in omnirom(installed names matched). I also tried uninstalling the keyboard with titanium BU and then installing the keyboard, which worked, but once again problem arose because when i update to the next omni nightly it overwrites the keyboard with the stock omni keyboard.

Has anyone found a way to installed the CM keyboard on omnirom with out removing the original omni keyboard? Thanks in advance.

Are you installing it as System app? If so, do it as user app (data/app)

lowsnamebrand

Mar 8, 2011
How do I go about doing that if I use any file manager or installer it automatically installs as a system app

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
How do I go about doing that if I use any file manager or installer it automatically installs as a system app

There are many apps that can do that. Like Rom toolbox lite.
You open the app, go to application manager, tap on the keyboard app, tap advanced, convert to user app.

Last edited:

lowsnamebrand

Mar 8, 2011
I'm at work right now I'll try it when I get home appreciate you input thank you

lowsnamebrand

Mar 8, 2011
Sadly I tried to move the stock keyboard to a user app but it still wouldn't install the cm11 keyboard install and if I uninstall the original keyboard, it installs the cm11 keyboard as a user app also seeing as they are both called aosp keyboard looks like I'll have to deal unless I can find out how to change the name of an installed app

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
Sadly I tried to move the stock keyboard to a user app but it still wouldn't install the cm11 keyboard install and if I uninstall the original keyboard, it installs the cm11 keyboard as a user app also seeing as they are both called aosp keyboard looks like I'll have to deal unless I can find out how to change the name of an installed app

The app you need to convert to user is cm11 keyboard with the steps i gave above. So, it stays after a flash, you can also freeze the stock one using rom toolbox in order to have only one keyboard

lowsnamebrand

Mar 8, 2011
The app you need to convert to user is cm11 keyboard with the steps i gave above. So, it stays after a flash, you can also freeze the stock one using rom toolbox in order to have only one keyboard

I did as you said and will gladly try again when there is a new nightly up to see if it keeps the keyboard there

UPDATE
Just installed the newest nightly and even with the cm keyboard installed as a user app it removes it and installs the stock omni one

Last edited: