Psa: DO NOT TAKE OTAs after updating to kitkat leak (nc2)

Search This thread
Apr 25, 2014
San Antonio
Newbie help!!!

Big fan of rooting my phones but things have gotten alot more complicated to me since I finally upgraded from my Motorola Droid Bionic (Verizon) to my Note 3 and with all these different files I need to get the leaked kitkat I need major in doing it. Are there any video links on step by step directions to each file I need to download? Is there a number I can call from anyone willing to inbox me with some help??? Go ahead and laugh now, but I have been smart enough to keep my unlimited data with verizon up to this point lol.

Reactions: tw1n5nak35

LeftyGR

Oct 18, 2011
Bloomington, IL
Big fan of rooting my phones but things have gotten alot more complicated to me since I finally upgraded from my Motorola Droid Bionic (Verizon) to my Note 3 and with all these different files I need to get the leaked kitkat I need major in doing it. Are there any video links on step by step directions to each file I need to download? Is there a number I can call from anyone willing to inbox me with some help??? Go ahead and laugh now, but I have been smart enough to keep my unlimited data with verizon up to this point lol.

Yes. Go to the new kk stock root rom thread. It's in there.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2545236

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Westlake

ryanbg

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2008
movr0.com

Okay, before this gets out of control. Kexec is now possible, yes. BUT, kexec is VERY finicky and difficult to get working properly. When you dump the running kernel and replace it, all the hardware/services/processes your kernel was running become very confused and have no idea what state the hardware is in, or what various system services and processes were doing. In order for kexec to work, the old kernel needs to be 'bridged' properly meaning the new kernel needs to pick up where the old kernel left off. The new kernel needs to inform the harwdare of its state, especially the modem, and all other ciritical attached processes/services.

In order to do this, it takes a significant amount of time, debugging, trial and error, etc... I'm not the right person to do it, but I'm sure @Hashcode could give it a great attempt, and I bet he already is. However, it is going to take more than a couple days to get kexec working, IF it works. It will take a long time. You guys will have to be patient as kexec is tricky. I'm sure if Hash makes any progress, he will let you guys know when the time is right. For now though, I wouldn't even bother asking. It's a very tedious and timely process.

Last edited:

scoobysnack

May 31, 2007
I don't have a Note 3 myself but I just want to thank Beans for all he does. Hope to see a leak for the Note 2 soon :) Thanks again Beans

recDNA

Aug 24, 2011
I have read some samsung apps are missing in this update?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

@DrPhant0m ,
Have you tried this yet? If so, how did everything go?

Thanks!!

:good::good:

Hey... yeah, I did it this morning, and it worked great. I downloaded all the requisite files, checked the MD5s both on my PC and on my device to make sure they are good (not necessary, but good practice), and then played along as the YouTube video in the 2nd post of the BeansTown ROM thread guided me through it. The only thing I did differently was... I didn't delete the one nandroid (do they still call it that?) backup from when I first installed the rooted MI9. For some reason, I couldn't risk just deleting it... and I didn't think it would matter if I left it on there until AFTER I was sure everything worked alright. I can tell you... it didn't matter that I left it on there for me.

After I had booted into KitKat and the dust settled, I installed the new safestrap, booted into recovery (by pressing the button during boot, not through the app), and THEN I deleted the old backup I had. I now have a new backup of this kitkat release.

The only problem I've come across so far is that Google Wallet Tap to Pay doesn't work... but that seems to be common to everyone that installed the leak, not just me. There seems to be an explanation for it... Something about "NXP Controller" and "HCE" being supported in 4.4.3 natively. (Don't quote me on this... I don't understand what I'm saying) A link was posted here, to explain... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2573842 (I didn't understand what was here, either.) :eek:

Did you try it, as well?

Reactions: jsdecker10

jrbxx7

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks to all for releasing our n3's from Verizons evil claws!

TaPpEd from my XpOsEd 4.4.2 NIII

I tried the leaked version. I'm back on mje build after a day. Time to attempt my luck at rooting. I got all weekend to fix it when I bricked. Lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

If you want root on kitkat... install beans's pre-rooted rom. There may be other roms coming... but this one is getting great reactions, and super easy to get installed

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

derekdauzat

Nov 25, 2013
marksville
I tried the leaked version. I'm back on mje build after a day. Time to attempt my luck at rooting. I got all weekend to fix it when I bricked. Lol

Everything went well and is working well for me & I don't have any 3g-4g problems.. if you ask me it's the best modem yet..

Harleydroid

Jul 18, 2013
The Fort
I thought you had to be rooted to install beans deodex or does it install like the leaked?

You are correct. You have to be rooted to flash beans odex or deodexed builds in safestrap.
I think the other guy was suggesting to use beans builds to keep root and have kitkat.

Harleydroid

Jul 18, 2013
The Fort
so.. stupid me did the sxtpdev method... i'm stuck huh? i can't odin back to the 4.3?

Yeah your going to have to Odin the MJE tar and root. I just used vroot for my girlfriends phone tonight. Then use safe strap 3.65 and flash Beans odex or Deodexed 4.4.2 build and flash the firmware in Odin 3.09. I used the new Odin 3.09.3 successfully tonight. Follow Beans instructions after back on mje.
But yes you can Odin back to mje real quick. Root that sucker and load up SS 3.65 and flash Beans 4.4.2 build. Either one and flash firmware.

Reactions: aldouse

aldouse

Jul 14, 2010
Milpitas
Yeah your going to have to Odin the MJE tar and root. I just used vroot for my girlfriends phone tonight. Then use safe strap 3.65 and flash Beans odex or Deodexed 4.4.2 build and flash the firmware in Odin 3.09. I used the new Odin 3.09.3 successfully tonight. Follow Beans instructions after back on mje.
But yes you can Odin back to mje real quick. Root that sucker and load up SS 3.65 and flash Beans 4.4.2 build. Either one and flash firmware.

thanks kind sir for the tip. i've had bad experiences downgrading basebands.. glad to know i can still go back down.

Reactions: rclar144

Harleydroid

Jul 18, 2013
The Fort
thanks kind sir for the tip. i've had bad experiences downgrading basebands.. glad to know i can still go back down.

Oh wait a minute you odined the full leak? Sorry it's getting late. If you odined the sextape leak and didn't use Beans builds to upgrade I'm not sure if you can Odin back to mje.
Sorry man my fault for the wrong info. You can try to Odin back but I'm not sure what will happen

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

Maybe pm Beanstown and see what he thinks.
Man you might be stuck.
Hopefully someone gets a root method for 4.4.2 for people that odined the sxtp leak before it was prerooted.

Man I feel terrible.
Sorry bro.

Last edited:
Reactions: rclar144

williamweaver

Jul 4, 2008
Oh wait a minute you odined the full leak? Sorry it's getting late. If you odined the sextape leak and didn't use Beans builds to upgrade I'm not sure if you can Odin back to mje.
Sorry man my fault for the wrong info. You can try to Odin back but I'm not sure what will happen

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

Maybe pm Beanstown and see what he thinks.
Man you might be stuck.
Hopefully someone gets a root method for 4.4.2 for people that odined the sxtp leak before it was prerooted.

Man I feel terrible.
Sorry bro.

I odined from stock mje to the sextape leak. I didn't really care for it, so I odined back to mje. Worked fine for me. I did use a pit file to reformat with the mje.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you've installed the new Kitkat leak for the Verizon Note 3 (and you really really should install it -- see below for reasons why):

MAKE SURE YOU NEVER TAKE ANY OTA.

Here is a brief (and yet startling) list of advantages to the leaked Kitkat build that could be done away with in ANY future OTA for the Note 3:
    • At anytime you can use ODIN to go back to 4.3 for root, disaster recovery etc.
    • This leaked Kitkat build allows for *ANY* compatible kernel module to be used. Unlike any previous Note 3 build ever. No whitelist security is in place to block kernel modules which are not "approved". (pointed out by @ryanbg)
    • It's Kitkat but SElinux permissive. Also very very rare.

There are so many unique things about this build, that every user who installs it should treat it like gold and avoid OTAs like the plague.

For more information on the leak:
    http://sxtpdevelopers.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3-verizon/

How to maintain root and use the leaked files:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2726558

And a new Safestrap for use with the new KK build (you'll need a 4.3 compatible Safestrap for the root process and a 4.4 compatible Safestrap for use after upating):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2517610

If you ever get a chance make sure to send thanks over to sxtpdevelopers (I don't think he has an XDA username anymore).
    This Was Definetly an Amazing Find!!
    If we wait and take the official 4.4.2 from vzw will there be a new root method?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

If you wait and take the official 4.4.2 there may not be a root method AND you will probably not be able to roll back like you can with the current 4.4.2 leak (for distaster recovery etc).

This why I'm encouraging as many users to get on this leak as I can.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Okay, before this gets out of control. Kexec is now possible, yes. BUT, kexec is VERY finicky and difficult to get working properly. When you dump the running kernel and replace it, all the hardware/services/processes your kernel was running become very confused and have no idea what state the hardware is in, or what various system services and processes were doing. In order for kexec to work, the old kernel needs to be 'bridged' properly meaning the new kernel needs to pick up where the old kernel left off. The new kernel needs to inform the harwdare of its state, especially the modem, and all other ciritical attached processes/services.

In order to do this, it takes a significant amount of time, debugging, trial and error, etc... I'm not the right person to do it, but I'm sure @Hashcode could give it a great attempt, and I bet he already is. However, it is going to take more than a couple days to get kexec working, IF it works. It will take a long time. You guys will have to be patient as kexec is tricky. I'm sure if Hash makes any progress, he will let you guys know when the time is right. For now though, I wouldn't even bother asking. It's a very tedious and timely process.
    So, help me understand this. Any kernel module? Does that mean... It works as a Dev version would? Any aosp / ge ROM would work eventually?

Same kind of process? Still not a true unlocked boatloader though?

this is a possibility, kernel modules being enabled makes it so kexec can work which then means aosp roms could work as well..

although alot of work has to be done to get kexec working on the note3. ALOT. but the hole for it is officially there :D