[Q] Question about Galaxy Player 4.2 's DAC

Search This thread

spanky310

Oct 20, 2006
Los Angeles
Does anyone know for sure if the 4.2 has the Wolfson DAC or does it have the Yamaha DAC like the 5.0's?

I looked, looked and looked but so far there's no confirmation on what DAC the 4.2 has.

Thanks!

spanky310

Oct 20, 2006
Los Angeles
It has the wolfson wm8994. The same as the galaxy player/s wifi 4.0 and the samsung galaxy s phone series.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Can you please site your source of this info?

I am not saying that I don't believe you but after weeks of trying to find info on this I would like to read more about it for my own information.

Thanks again!!

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
Got it!

Now I can finally decide on getting the 4.0 or 4.2 not having to worry about the DAC on the 4.2 being a Yamaha one.

Thanks so much for looking it up!

No problem. Also I recommend to take the 4.0 as it is cheaper and it have voodoo sound now. (it has more features but it's up to you.)

Last edited:

spanky310

Oct 20, 2006
Los Angeles
No problem. Also I recommend to take the 4.0 as it is cheaper and it have voodoo sound now. (it has more features but it's up to you.)

I agree with you, having the Voodoo mod available for the 4.0 is a huge plus.

So far there's a lot of resource for the 4.0 where as the 4.2, I was not even able to root it, all the 4.0 methods won't work on the 4.2. It's going to take a while for solutions to pop up for the 4.2.

I bought the 4.0 for $149 at Bestbuy today and the 4.2 is on sale for $179 this week so I was thinking I would get them both and then return one of them. Best Buy recently changed their return policy to 30 days (used to be 14 days) which is helpful.

The features I like about the 4.2 are the front speaker, larger batteries and the less of the chrome trim like on the 4.0. Also it has the newer version of the touchwiz which is much nicer than the one on the 4.0.

Do you have any opinion on which stable custom rom will give me the newer version of tourchwiz like on the 4.2? I really can't stand the lock screen on the 4.0.

Thanks again for everything.

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
If you don't mind battery life you have CM7 and if you want a custom stock rom try klin's klassic. Also the gpu on the 4.0 is better as well as the Web browsing.

Sent from my YP-G1 using xda premium

spanky310

Oct 20, 2006
Los Angeles
I read about the Klassic Rom and also the CM7 but decided to wait because of the issues users reporting with them.

I need a stable mp3 player with good battery life which the 4.0 is out of the box but just wish it had the newer version of Touchwiz like the one on the 4.2.

I wish there is a rom out there with just that and no other tweeks.

I think I will pick up a 4.2 tomorrow and give it another go to see which one I like more.

zerolagaux

Sep 24, 2010
Would you mind posting after you compare the two? I've been looking for a media player to replace my wife's aging Archos 605 wifi. The Galaxy player series looks nice but I wanted something mod-able which the 4.2 doesn't look like it's it.

I've really been trying to decide between the 5.0 and the 4.0 so I can run a custom rom.

spanky310

Oct 20, 2006
Los Angeles
Would you mind posting after you compare the two? I've been looking for a media player to replace my wife's aging Archos 605 wifi. The Galaxy player series looks nice but I wanted something mod-able which the 4.2 doesn't look like it's it.

I've really been trying to decide between the 5.0 and the 4.0 so I can run a custom rom.

I just picked up a 4.2 today, I think I will keep it and wait till the talented moder's here to come up with something nice for it. The most important thing that I decided today was that I can live with it the way it is out of the box so any enhancements that becomes available later is just gravy.

Compared to the 4.0 it feels a lot more "current", which I know is a highly subjective opinion but the 4.0 with the rounded corners and thick chrome border/bezel it reminds me of the old iphone which I hated.

Also the 4.2 run 2.3.6 vs the 4.0 running 2.3.5. The 4.2 has a newer version of Touchwiz which is much better than the one on the 4.0.

The media player on the 4.2 is also a newer version with some DSP features not found on the 4.0.

The 5.0 runs 2.3.5 so it should be pretty similar to the 4.0 since they came out at the same time.

I personally think 4.2 is the best overall size for my application which is an mp3 player for while I'm driving. I checked out the 5.0 at the store today and there is no way I can use it one-handed which is a deal breaker. Also, I already own a tablet so I really don't need the extra screen size on the 5.0 in a mp3 player.

If you live close by a Best Buy you should just go and play with all of them.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedeemerSK

zerolagaux

Sep 24, 2010
I just picked up a 4.2 today, I think I will keep it and wait till the talented moder's here to come up with something nice for it. The most important thing that I decided today was that I can live with it the way it is out of the box so any enhancements that becomes available later is just gravy.

Compared to the 4.0 it feels a lot more "current", which I know is a highly subjective opinion but the 4.0 with the rounded corners and thick chrome border/bezel it reminds me of the old iphone which I hated.

Also the 4.2 run 2.3.6 vs the 4.0 running 2.3.5. The 4.2 has a newer version of Touchwiz which is much better than the one on the 4.0.

The media player on the 4.2 is also a newer version with some DSP features not found on the 4.0.

The 5.0 runs 2.3.5 so it should be pretty similar to the 4.0 since they came out at the same time.

I personally think 4.2 is the best overall size for my application which is an mp3 player for while I'm driving. I checked out the 5.0 at the store today and there is no way I can use it one-handed which is a deal breaker. Also, I already own a tablet so I really don't need the extra screen size on the 5.0 in a mp3 player.

Cheers.

yea, that's kind of the feeling i was getting. the player would be for the wife, and i really don't think in the long run she cares about root, or ICS or etc. she just wants something that works, that she can plug into her car stereo and play mp3's. the 4.2 is newer with a better battery and newer OS so i'll probably go that route.

thanks for the insight.

baruch6132

May 18, 2012
Memphis
i got the 4.2 and so far i am loving it. i am upset about the no root solution yet but hopefully soon. but for now i am having 1 problem. acording to samsung, the front facing camera is unable to be used for video. which is true in every app except skype. so theres a problem with that. however when it gets a root, i bet it can be fixed.

b4silver

Jun 19, 2012
I owned a 4.0 and sold it as soon as I caught a glimpse of the 4.2. I like it a lot more than 4.0. The processor and battery r both better. And it doesnt look like a brick :p.

Sent from my YP-GI1 using XDA

b4silver

Jun 19, 2012
No u can't right now.... Wouldn't it b unstable on the 4.0 being a single core?

Sent from my YP-GI1 using XDA

arm_jstp

Feb 12, 2011
Bangkok
Galaxy Player 4.2 DAC is Wolfson WM1811

I just have my Galaxy Player 4.2 torn down and found Wolfson WM1811 DAC, the same DAC in Galaxy S3.

Attachments

• IMGP9480.jpg
    IMGP9480.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Reactions: b4silver

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It has the wolfson wm8994. The same as the galaxy player/s wifi 4.0 and the samsung galaxy s phone series.

Cheers.
    Galaxy Player 4.2 DAC is Wolfson WM1811

I just have my Galaxy Player 4.2 torn down and found Wolfson WM1811 DAC, the same DAC in Galaxy S3.