[GUIDE][N00B]Step-By-Step ROOT/Update/ROM Instructions + 902 Update Info (5/18/12)

Which ROM did you install?

• Kin3tix

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • Eclipse

Votes: 121 70.8%
  • Liberty

Votes: 25 14.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
Reviews from XDA Users

Translated to Spanish!
¿Hables español?

Just followed your instructions and it worked quickly and flawlessly coming from .902, you sir, tuckmobile, are a scholar and a gentleman
It really is easy. This is coming from a guy that has never even rooted before and now I am running eclipse 2.2 thanks to your guide. Thank you tuck for your clear step by step guide that made this painless for even a noob like me.
I have to say this this is absolutely the best guide to get this phone rooted and customised. Got my Bionic on Monday and after a little bit of light reading on these forums I now have a rooted stock system and with Safestrap I have a system that I can mess around with.
Thank you. Thank you, you are the man. I had rooted my bionic right after getting it in September 2011, but then with the automatic updates, I lost root and was unable to get it back. This guide worked perfectly!
Thanks for the great/easy instructions, it is like having a whole new phone after I rooted my Bionic. Running Eclipse now, very smooth :D

Last edited:
Reactions: FastKatt317

CC Lemon

Feb 17, 2011
Nice guide... very easy to follow!

I'm curious what happens if I follow this and I'm on .896. I'm already rooted, but nothing like roms, themes or mods have been installed.

thereisone

Sep 3, 2011
Toledo
Is it good to do a factory reset before doing a root? Or any other tips or suggestions before starting?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App

Bfitz26

Jun 3, 2011
layton
Pretty sure when you do this it will wipe you phone so factory reset eould be a wasteof time

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
Is it good to do a factory reset before doing a root? Or any other tips or suggestions before starting?

Pretty sure when you do this it will wipe you phone so factory reset eould be a wasteof time

No need for a factory reset.

You shouldn't reset anything before you begin. This method will create a backup of your stock system using SafeStrap. You can always return to your original setup using SafeStrap. Just reverse the toggle setting for Safe system (step 21). The wipe in step 22 is all you'll need.

I'd recommend reading a little about how SafeStrap works if you're feeling uncertain. There's a link to the Safestrap website in the "Credits" section of the OP.

Last edited:

ms0chez

Jul 9, 2011
Loving KIN3TX. Thanks Tuck! How do you know which themes we can run on this 901 version?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
Loving KIN3TX. Thanks Tuck! How do you know which themes we can run on this 901 version?

I'm using [H]on3yScr3am: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10340-tpax-hon3yscr3am/ (Props to MasturMynd).

I'm not sure its technically built for 901, but its working fine for me and looks awesome. Basic steps to installing are 1)Download .zip to SD-card 2)Backup (step 20 in OP) 3)Install .zip in Safestrap (steps 23 and 24 in OP). Wipe shouldn't be necessary for this theme, it is built into the script.

Always backup before you do anything.

Other themes ("Tpax") for Kin3tix are here: http://rootzwiki.com/forum/264-th3oryrom/

When I get some time I'll break this down further and add to OP.

Last edited:

ms0chez

Jul 9, 2011
K cool. Not to sound like complete dumbfounded noob but does it matter which we backup to? Meaning the internal sd and external sd?

technomaje

Nov 13, 2011
Lexington
When it comes to the .901 file, the file reads Blur_Verzion.5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip

The file name makes it look like the one pre .901. Can you confirm the file is correct and just named wrong? With MegaUpload gone, I'm not sure the MediaFire link is correct. I'm looking for another source for .901, but in case I don't find it....

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
When it comes to the .901 file, the file reads Blur_Verzion.5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip

The file name makes it look like the one pre .901. Can you confirm the file is correct and just named wrong? With MegaUpload gone, I'm not sure the MediaFire link is correct. I'm looking for another source for .901, but in case I don't find it....

Motorola names their updates based on the filesystem they are REPLACING. So yes, this is correct. I did my homework before I wrote this up, promise ;)

Reactions: technomaje

technomaje

Nov 13, 2011
Lexington
Thank you. I appreciate that. Seemed odd, but was thinking that exact thing. Running a backup with Bootstrap first, then will install this and move on to test out some ROM's.

Has anyone made progress with unlocking the bootloader? I just got the Bionic a few weeks ago. Sure isn't like the Xoom when it comes to customization.

technomaje

Nov 13, 2011
Lexington
I just wanted to thank you for the excellent guide. I'm now running the ROM w/ the HON3YSCR3AM mod. It's really cool. Apparently there's been some issues between the dev's who made some of this though.

I really hate that there is so little out there for the Bionic. Hoping the bootloader can be unlocked so we can see some real developments come about. I like Moto phone's, but will avoid anything with a locked bootloader in the future.

thereisone

Sep 3, 2011
Toledo
I followed the steps verbatim. I could have sworn that last night I was on 901 and now it shows me on. 893. Should I run the update again or what should I do? Eclipse is running.

I also am getting the default tether or mobile hotspot notification when I run wifi tether... Is there a fix for this?

I also usually run the application Klink by faveset and since the root it will not recognize my phone when I hook up the usb.

Any ideas.

ms0chez

Jul 9, 2011
I followed the steps verbatim. I could have sworn that last night I was on 901 and now it shows me on. 893. Should I run the update again or what should I do? Eclipse is running.

I also am getting the default tether or mobile hotspot notification when I run wifi tether... Is there a fix for this?

I also usually run the application Klink by faveset and since the root it will not recognize my phone when I hook up the usb.

Any ideas.

Just explained in the several post above you but since you missed it. You are on 901 but for some reason when you flash a 901 compatible rom it'll say 893 in phone info. But if you had just did the update and boot up your phone before flashing a rom it would've verified you are actually on 901. Weird I know. I did this this morning cause I was worried too that I wasn't on 901.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is out of date and has been deprecated.

Please visit the link below for up-to-date information.

http://www.droidhive.com/forums/ind...-2233-235-find-out-here-download-links-in-op/
    902 Update Instructions

NEW! Introduction
    The following instructions are only for people who already followed my guide above. They are confirmed to work for users of Eclipse and Kin3tix 1.0, and if you try it with Liberty please inform me of your results.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that you do to anything. Period.

Prerequisites
    • Windows
    • 901 system already installed
    • Safestrap
    • At least 2GB free on internal sd card (EMMC partition)
    • At least 4GB free on external sd card (you can move old backups onto your PC to make room if necessary)

!!! - ONLY PROCEED WITH A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY - !!!​

Instructions
    1) This step has been removed. Proceed to step 2.
    2) Download 901 -> 902 update and place it on your external SD card. Don't unzip it. Credit: FantomPhlasher @ DroidForums
    Optional Step: If you are using Eclipse 2.1 RC1 now is a good time to update to Eclipse 2.2 Official. Download it onto your SD card now. Credit: Nitroglycerin33 @ EclipseRom.com
    3) Backup any important/critical app data (e.g. sync calendar, export settings in launcher).
    3) Reboot system, and then press MENU to enter safestrap recovery mode (touch button with four squares, to the left of the home button). Green menu = good.
    4) Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup. I don't see the need for backing up the primary system or webtop since they will shortly be updated. Your choice. I'm paranoid so I made two backups, one with and one without those options. I recommend saving the backup to the external SD card so safestrap has room to operate on the internal card in subsequent steps. The backup will be saved in \Safestrap\Backup.
    5) Select "++++Go Back++++" to return to the main recovery menu.
    6) Go to the "safe boot menu".
    7) Select "Toggle Safe System". Wait a little bit.
    8) Select "+++++Go Back+++++", verify that "Safe System is: DISABLED", and then "reboot system now".
    9) Allow stock system to settle if you haven't used it in a while. Make sure to update your apps, especially Superuser. To do this manually, go to the market app, then press the menu key, and go to "My Apps". Update everything. Superuser gave me an error to update, so I uninstalled it then reinstalled.
    10) Shutdown phone.
    11) Hold down BOTH volume buttons, and press the power button. This will boot you into stock recovery.
    12) Select "Recovery" in the menu. (Beware the weird method of navigating the menu. To select Recovery press volume down, then volume up).
    13) At the fancy logo, press BOTH volume buttons.
    14) Go to "Apply Update" then select the 902 Update from step # above. (Navigate up/down with the volume keys and use the power button for enter.) The update will take a while.
    15) Pay attention to progress. Note any error messages carefully If you modified/debloated/icon-changed/whatever your stock system you won't pass this stage. You'll have to try something fancier. Seek help elsewhere if this is you.
    16) Reboot phone and allow stock to boot. Notice safestrap is gone. This will take longer than usual.
    17) Verify system version (Settings -> About Phone).
    18) Use Root Checker Basic from the market to verify you are rooted.
    19) Start the safestrap app (from your list of apps) and press the "Install Recovery" button. This will reinstall safestrap.
    20) Reboot system, and then press MENU to enter safestrap recovery mode (touch button with four squares, to the left of the home button). Green menu = good.
    21) Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup of your stock 902 system. I recommend backing up the webtop, and saving the backup to the external SD card so safestrap has room to operate on the internal card in subsequent steps. The backup will be saved in \Safestrap\Backup.
    22) Go to the "safe boot menu".
    23) Select "Toggle Safe System". Wait a little bit.
    24) Select "+++++Go Back+++++", and verify that "Safe System is: ENABLED".
    25) Select "Wipe cache partition".
    26) Now go to the "Advanced" menu and select "Wipe Dalvik Cache".
    Optional Steps: If you are upgrading to Eclipse 2.2 Official.
    A) Select "+++Go Back+++" to return to the main menu.
    B) Select "Install zip from sdcard". DON'T GO TO "apply update from sdcard".
    C) Select "choose zip from sdcard" and find the ROM .zip file. DON'T GO TO "apply /sdcard/update.zip".
    D) If you are coming from Liberty or Kin3tix, select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" in the main menu. Don't do this if you are coming from Eclipse 2.1 RC1.​
    27) Finally, select "+++Go Back+++" to return to the main recovery menu and select "power off".
    28) Wait for power down to finish, then restart your bionic. Be patient, the first boot takes unusually long.
    29) If your ROM doesn't work, you can try the "Wide Data/Factory Reset" option, or you can install the newest Eclipse, or you can just use stock.

PLEASE CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU
    I assume you are trying to enable the safesystem? Make sure you have sufficient free space on your internal sd card?

Well what I did was uninstall safestrap delete the safestrap folder in my sd and the safestrap folder in internal storage. Installed safestrap again and was able to enable safesystem.

Forever-root was only relevant because, previously, 901 and 902 were not rootable. You had to forever-root an older version (like 893), then upgrade to 901/902. Now, the Motofail method works on any system version, so 43v3r r00t is no longer necessary.

Yeah.

And thanks for including tehRoot in the guide, I didn't expect it to get thousands of downloads.

I see you marked it deprecated, thanks!

If I have enough free time, I'm going to see if I can write up a GUI for all of this, but don't take that as a promise.
    Tuck..Great instructions. Anyone able to root using their laptop? -eye__dea

I rooted mine fine using a laptop with Windows 7 32bit Enterprise and Tehsusenoh's method.