[Q] Root for 4.3?

Search This thread

Vref

Mar 4, 2011
I'm getting some conflicting information and just wanted to get it straight.

I've been told by someone whom I think is reputable that it is possible to gain root after taking the 4.3 update.

I know from the Rumrunner S-off thread that S-off is not achievable yet but that doesn't necessarily mean rooting is impossible.

Can someone set me straight here? Is it possible to root 4.3 but still be S-on?

Thanks.

brholt6

Oct 10, 2013

I've been told by someone whom I think is reputable that it is possible to gain root after taking the 4.3 update.

I know from the Rumrunner S-off thread that S-off is not achievable yet but that doesn't necessarily mean rooting is impossible.

Thanks.

When the phone first came out you could unlock the bootloader at htcdev, but that lasted 1 day. I'm unaware of any ways to root without rumrunner.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Vref

Vref

Mar 4, 2011
Thanks.

I was under the impression one could root provided the phone was still running 4.2. In that case rumrunner would work. However I didn't think there was any way to root 4.3. Not go s-off, just root.

brholt6

Oct 10, 2013
Thanks.

I was under the impression one could root provided the phone was still running 4.2. In that case rumrunner would work. However I didn't think there was any way to root 4.3. Not go s-off, just root.

Check out the rumrunner thread...4.3 is close

brholt6

Oct 10, 2013
LOL...been checking that thread multiple times daily since before I even got my One. It's only been two weeks since I came over from the Rezound.

Yea, I had this phone s-off but I returned to stock to have the camera repaired so I got stuck on 4.3. I had a Verizon replacement but decided to keep this phone since it was perfect after the camera repair...glad I did! Can't wait to get s-off again.

Vref

Mar 4, 2011
Yea, I had this phone s-off but I returned to stock to have the camera repaired so I got stuck on 4.3. I had a Verizon replacement but decided to keep this phone since it was perfect after the camera repair...glad I did! Can't wait to get s-off again.

Hopefully it won't require anything like the "wire trick" on the Rezound ;) Don't really want to go through that again. Still, really looking forward to ridding myself of all the bloat.

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
Firewater will be posted when it's done. I believe it will root 4.3. I had a one on 4.3 never used it but for a day and realized the reception was horrible and so I called Verizon and complained and they sent me this one that is 4.2 now which I rooted.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vref

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
Firewater is live now. You can find it at firewater-soff.com

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
I'll revert to stock, locked and s on too to try it out after taking the ota so it should work. Anyone know if we have a decrypted ruu for 4.3 already, I already have all the others.

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
I'll revert to stock, locked and s on too to try it out after taking the ota so it should work. Anyone know if we have a decrypted ruu for 4.3 already, I already have all the others.

No there isn't one. Maybe you should wait for someone that really needs to unlock. It would suck bad to lose root over that. I've seen people lose root doing stuff like that before is why I don't advise it.

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
No there isn't one. Maybe you should wait for someone that really needs to unlock. It would suck bad to lose root over that. I've seen people lose root doing stuff like that before is why I don't advise it.

Yeah thats a good idea. I know there are members here with a stock s on phone with 4.3 so I should wait. I always ruu back to stock and root again after messing with my phone a lot, like changing cid to run a Google edition ruu, stuff like that. Done it twice on 4.2 with no issues.

Exego

Jul 28, 2010
So I ran firewater temp root, and it said everything was good to go.

However, I do not seem to have root access -- I tried Root Checker app and TWRP Manager.

Am I missing a step here? I'm running 4.3 OTA.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You don't need to be in hboot to get it to work. Your phone doesn't even reboot during this.

As for more instructions, there aren't any really. It is not that hard. I think what you guys have issues with is that you are using a Mac. It works on osx but you have to know osx well.

You have to be admin first of all. It's been years since I had a Mac, but you need root permissions in osx and I think you have to go to your account settings, into the profile setting and make sure you enable root user for your login.

Second, you need adb and fastboot installed. I use Linux so it wasn't hard to set up, I just downloaded the android sdk, unzipped it somewhere, then ran the program and updated it, installed platform tools. Google how to set up your adb and fastboot home path.

You also have to go and get the htc one drivers from their website. Install them, then remove sync manager.

Once that is done, you open a command terminal. You do su in the terminal and type your password, hit enter. If su does not work try sudo su or su -li. If neither of those get you root terminal access then your osx login is not administrator or does not have root enabled in the users and groups settings.

Next, change directory to where you downloaded the firewater and temp root files. Do this by typing cd Downloads for example, or wherever you placed the files.

Assuming you have the htc drivers and adb home path set on osx, type adb reboot bootloader. Your phone will reboot. Then just follow the rest of the firewater directions on the site for temp root method. All it is, is issueing the commands and waiting when it tells you to.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 2

I'm having an issue getting root. Bootloader unlocked and s-off worked but at no point did I have root access. Everything went through successfully. I'm using a mac

If you are s off and boot loader unlocked you are good to go. Root is something that comes with a Rom or you can flash the superuser zip file in fastboot from the santod thread here under HTC one for Verizon.

To gain root, just grab the twrp custom recovery from the twrp thread, latest is 2.6.3.4, connect phone to max, CD to where the recovery image file you downloaded is located and then boot your phone to the bootloader.

Select fastboot and your phone will display fastboot usb.

In terminal, type fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img. Then type fastboot erase cache.

Now boot phone to recovery and it will ask you when you select reboot system to install supersu. Swipe to install it. Otherwise just install a Rom of your choice, it will have root most likely.

Thanks.

When the phone first came out you could unlock the bootloader at htcdev, but that lasted 1 day. I'm unaware of any ways to root without rumrunner.

Firewater will be posted when it's done. I believe it will root 4.3. I had a one on 4.3 never used it but for a day and realized the reception was horrible and so I called Verizon and complained and they sent me this one that is 4.2 now which I rooted.

Well, having a rough go of it. Using MacBook with OS 10.6.8 and can't get the laptop to recognize the phone. Every time I plug in with a USB it brings the Htc sync software up. I disabled it in the phone tried plugging in and it STILL brings up HTC SYNC as if it were a CD rom trying to install.

I using the firewater temp root method.

Help!

Can you uninstall sync manager? On a Windows pc you can choose to leave the drivers and just uninstall sync manager. See if that is possible. Or if osx let's you disable the software from the os then you should be ok.