[Q] Question: update to 4.3 and keep root is possible?

Search This thread

c_c_c_66

Mar 18, 2008
Update 4.3 for SP is coming in the next few days (I hope so!) and so this is my question: is possible to update to 4.3 and keep ROOT?
I have locked bootloader.
Tank you for your answer!

Parkside

Jul 10, 2012
London
Update 4.3 for SP is coming in the next few days (I hope so!) and so this is my question: is possible to update to 4.3 and keep ROOT?

For my 2011 Xperia the general rule was if you updated OTA you kept root, if you updated using PC Companion you lost root. Personally I haven't EVER been given the chance to OTA update with the SP, the update centre lets me know a download is available, but tells me to use PC Comp.

Anyway, as this is a siginificant update, I suspect you will lose it anyway.

ZakooZ

Aug 24, 2012
Porto
If you update through standard update methods (OTA, PC companion, ftfs) you will lose root

The way you get rooted 4.3 on locked bootloader is:
1) have rooted 4.1
2) flash a zip that contains the 4.3 ROM with root binary and apk (easy modification and it will come pretty soon after the official 4.3 release)
3) flash 4.3 kernel through flashtool (because on step 2 your device keeps the 4.1 kernel and will not boot)

c_c_c_66

Mar 18, 2008
If you update through standard update methods (OTA, PC companion, ftfs) you will lose root

1) have rooted 4.1
2) flash a zip that contains the 4.3 ROM with root binary and apk (easy modification and it will come pretty soon after the official 4.3 release)
3) flash 4.3 kernel through flashtool (because on step 2 your device keeps the 4.1 kernel and will not boot)

Thank you!
So I have to wait for the 4.3 AND the zip with the modification.... :rolleyes:

TsunaH

Jan 21, 2014
Paris
I'm sure 4.3 will be released few days after official release of JB 4.3
You don't to wait longer I think

Sent from me

samsonslatebook

Nov 27, 2013

1) have rooted 4.1

Thank you for this, will it be necessary to do a cache wipe before doing all this ? My phone isn't nude i got it from Orange so i'm afraid of bootloop..

Envoyé de mon C5303 en utilisant Tapatalk

TsunaH

Jan 21, 2014
Paris
You just flash your phone with Flashboot you don't have to unlock your bootloader to root and don't have to do a cache wipe

Sent from me

technaudio

Jul 9, 2010
Updating via ota worked on my xperia z... But if you've changed anything in /system ota update will fail.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

abhishekcal

Jan 11, 2012
May be doomlord will release the root method for the official 4.3 when it will get released

Sent from my C5302 using Tapatalk

Patrol619

Mar 28, 2012
I rooted old firmware by DooMLorD easy tool kit, then received OTA update to the newest version (.254), updated it and root access was still there, so you doesn't lose root when updating via OTA (in most cases). As for 4.3 I don't know, we will see.

Xperia SP@Tapatalk 2

samsonslatebook

Nov 27, 2013
May be doomlord will release the root method for the official 4.3 when it will get released

Sent from my C5302 using Tapatalk

According to budyz on the first posts of this thread, the only way to keep root will be to flash the official 4.3 rom. Because DoomLord found an exploit on the old jb 4.1 firmware. It will be perfect but really surprising if he find a new exploit in the 4.3, plus it will take more time.

Envoyé de mon HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC en utilisant Tapatalk

PNuT.

Apr 5, 2012
Red Lodge
assuming you have working recovery on your 4.1 rom then flash the 4.3 rom ftf excluding kernel then boot into the recovery flash the supersu zip & then back to flashtool to flash the kernel only.....