[Q] Alternative screen protectors

Search This thread

mrintegrity

Dec 3, 2010
Is it possible (or a good idea) to use screen protectors from other 7-inch devices? I am not in the US so won't be able to buy them specific to the NC, which my dad bought on my behalf.

If so, what other (internationally shipped) devices / protectors are available in 7"? I am looking for anti-glare, anti-scratch and anti-fingerprint.

/mr

Homer_S_xda

Dec 5, 2010
I would swear by Invisible Shield. I have one on my iPod Touch. I have ordered one for my (still in box) NC. I did a quick peek at their site (www zagg com) and they show two retail locations in Sweden.

Good Luck!
Homer

Reactions: mrintegrity

big.t_03

Dec 3, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Zagg's Invisible Shield is awesome--I have one on my LG Vu. I considered getting one for my NC, but I liked the anti-glare screen protector B&N was offering and I didn't want to wait for one from Zagg to come in the mail.

Invisible Shield has pros and cons, IMO. Pro is certainly the near-indestructibility of the screen protector. Con (for me, at least) is the somewhat rubberized texture. The texture is great on my phone, it helps with gripping and such, but for the NC, I like the B&N screen protector's smooth surface, and the anti-glare is really nice.

With the B&N anti-glare screen protector, you get two. So when one wears out, you apply the other or take it in to B&N and they'll remove the old and apply the new for you. Otherwise, Invisible Shield has a lifetime warranty on it, but you need Retail Location access (correct me if I'm wrong) for warranty/product replacement.

In the States (California, at least), I know for sure there is a retail location in Palmdale, CA, at the mall, and I know Best Buy sells Invisible Shield products (don't know if they cover the warranty/replacement--probably not). Otherwise, sign up for emails from Zagg, they have 50% off sales/coupons for the website all the time.

Reactions: mrintegrity

kerobaros

Nov 11, 2009
Otherwise, Invisible Shield has a lifetime warranty on it, but you need Retail Location access (correct me if I'm wrong) for warranty/product replacement.

Consider yourself corrected, friend. I've had an Invisible Shield on a Motorola Cliq and a Nexus One at this point, and am likely going to order one for my NC when I get one.

To get the lifetime warranty on an InvisiShield, you have to do one of two things:
a) buy the product from Zagg's website, or
b) if you buy one from an independent retailer or one of their mall locations, you have to register the purchase on the website, which is free.

Once you have a registered Shield with Zagg, you can request the replacement at anytime. As I recall, they bill your credit card for shipping and ship you the new one. If you don't return what's left of your old one to them within (I believe) 30 days, you get charged the full price of a new Shield.

Pretty reasonable, all things considered, but I wish the shipping was free.

tokyomonster

Feb 20, 2009
Houston
I wish I had known b&n will apply the screen protector for you. Ruined one trying to get dust/hair that magically made it underneath and ended up settling with a few small specs under the 2nd one.

Other than that, im happy with it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

big.t_03

Dec 3, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Consider yourself corrected, friend.

Hehehe. I knew about the replacement at retail locations (I live in San Diego but have family in the Palmdale area so I find myself there occasionally) and the procedure of returning the damaged original. I figured it was a similar process via mail, less shipping (I've not had to do that yet). Thanks for the heads up on the website side, though. If my Vu outlasts my InvisiShield (unlikely), I'll be prepared for the billing and shipping.

wish I had known b&n will apply the screen protector for you.

I despise applying screen protectors myself for that very reason--inevitably, some kind of debris magically makes it onto the sticky side of the screen protector--I went through three out of five screen protectors for my Vu before I got it reasonably applied (a couple specs of dust still made it in). Hence, I asked the B&N Nook clerk to apply the screen protector to my NC for me to avoid the dust and such.

mrintegrity

Dec 3, 2010
Thanks for the info all, seems clear that I have to get a zagg invisible shield :). My NC is arriving on Friday all being well :D

I have to own up to having never owned a "smart phone" before (unless you count a htc touch diamond which was more "special needs" than smart) so I have never used a screen protector before.

Are they hard to apply and remove? If it is not perfectly lined up first time, is it possible to adjust position and can it affect performance of the screen in general?

/mrintegrity

mrintegrity

Dec 3, 2010
Now I don't know which sheild to buy. Will the galaxy tab one fit? Also, is it possible to use one of the "maximum protection" ones?

/mr

big.t_03

Dec 3, 2010
Oceanside, CA
They're not necessarily hard to apply, but if you don't use lint-free wipes and cloths to clean the screen and make sure your hands and such are lint- and dust-free, you will inevitably get lint or dust on the screen (static cling) which will end up under the screen protector. Otherwise, with the screen wiped down with a lint-free wipe or cloth, you can apply the screen protector using a credit/gift card to squeegy out the surface.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, please) Unless you have a special screen protector that is removable/reapplicable, once they're applied, that's it. If you remove it you more than likely will destroy it. So if it's crooked and needs to be re-positioned, plan to have a second one handy.

As for affecting performance: not usually to a noticable extent. I never used my NC before the SP was applied so I can't comment on that. But as for my Vu, after I had my InvisiShield applied, I get phantom taps and double-taps when typing all the time, but I attribute that to the phone being obnoxious/retarded (although, that didn't happen before InvisiShield).

Are they hard to apply and remove? If it is not perfectly lined up first time, is it possible to adjust position and can it affect performance of the screen in general?

pezhore

Jun 18, 2009
I wish I had known b&n will apply the screen protector for you. Ruined one trying to get dust/hair that magically made it underneath and ended up settling with a few small specs under the 2nd one.

I despise applying screen protectors myself for that very reason--inevitably, some kind of debris magically makes it onto the sticky side of the screen protector--I went through three out of five screen protectors for my Vu before I got it reasonably applied (a couple specs of dust still made it in). Hence, I asked the B&N Nook clerk to apply the screen protector to my NC for me to avoid the dust and such.

I haven't had an issue with my two applications of the Invisishield - but that's because I take rather.... special.... precautions. I'll only apply the skins in the bathroom after I've fully cleaned the sink area. I'll run the shower on hot and let the room fill with steam, then lay down some fuzz-free towels. I also tend to wear a hat to keep my hair in check and sometimes I'll even go with just an A-shirt.

Yes, this is rather over the top, but since there isn't an Invisishield place near by for a "professional" to install it, I've gotta make due.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, please) Unless you have a special screen protector that is removable/reapplicable, once they're applied, that's it. If you remove it you more than likely will destroy it. So if it's crooked and needs to be re-positioned, plan to have a second one handy.

In my experience, while the screen protector is still wet its a bit movable, but as you work out the bubbles and it starts to cure, it's stuck there. Removing it isn't too difficult, but the process stretches it to a neigh unusable condition.

Last edited:

mrintegrity

Dec 3, 2010
Yes, this is rather over the top, but since there isn't an Invisishield place near by for a "professional" to install it, I've gotta make due.

Lol, my G/F being a pharmacy student she has access to a lot of clean room type areas including those ones where you have a glass box with your hands inside gloved openings, was seriously considering taking it there to attach the protector...

/mr

don_ernesto

Nov 19, 2010
Thanks for the info all, seems clear that I have to get a zagg invisible shield :). My NC is arriving on Friday all being well :D

I have to own up to having never owned a "smart phone" before (unless you count a htc touch diamond which was more "special needs" than smart) so I have never used a screen protector before.

/mrintegrity

i installed myself one of these in my phone, and i love it. didnt bought one for the NC cause i find it a little bit too reflective, so i ended up buying the one from BN

i recommend three things:
1) go to their website and study their instructions and do as they say
2) be patient... very very patient. you have to leave the gadget off for a day after applying the shield (i know it is tooooooo hard to do) and if you have bubbles (probably will have) they will disappear, but it takes days. the last bubble in my invisibleshield disappeared after 2 weeks of usage, but dont worry, they will disappear. The feeling of the touchscreen will also improve with days, beginning with plastic feel and a little sticky, to an absolute pleasure to your fingers
3) be patient... very very, really patient. If you are not happy the first day, give it at least a couple of weeks

tokyomonster

Feb 20, 2009
Houston
I haven't had an issue with my two applications of the Invisishield - but that's because I take rather.... special.... precautions. I'll only apply the skins in the bathroom after I've fully cleaned the sink area. I'll run the shower on hot and let the room fill with steam, then lay down some fuzz-free towels. I also tend to wear a hat to keep my hair in check and sometimes I'll even go with just an A-shirt.

In my experience, while the screen protector is still wet its a bit movable, but as you work out the bubbles and it starts to cure, it's stuck there. Removing it isn't too difficult, but the process stretches it to a neigh unusable condition.

Yeah, I'm a pro at applying skins like Invisible Shield, Best Skins Ever, etc, that require water and all that..the water also helps the dust from being attracted, but the B&N skin is dry apply/static cling. I did it on my (what I thought was clean) desk, but I guess I was wrong. That's what I get for letting my fiancee have two cats and a dog :(

Other than that, im happy with it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

I had the exact same thing happen.

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

ricoishere2

Jan 17, 2010
Charlotte
The NC has a gorilla glass screen, like the Samsung galaxy tab, HTC Incredible, Evo, Droid 2, etc. and does not require a screen protector. Yes you can still scratch glass but It's difficult.

Sent from my Evo using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would swear by Invisible Shield. I have one on my iPod Touch. I have ordered one for my (still in box) NC. I did a quick peek at their site (www zagg com) and they show two retail locations in Sweden.

Good Luck!
    Homer
    Zagg's Invisible Shield is awesome--I have one on my LG Vu. I considered getting one for my NC, but I liked the anti-glare screen protector B&N was offering and I didn't want to wait for one from Zagg to come in the mail.

Invisible Shield has pros and cons, IMO. Pro is certainly the near-indestructibility of the screen protector. Con (for me, at least) is the somewhat rubberized texture. The texture is great on my phone, it helps with gripping and such, but for the NC, I like the B&N screen protector's smooth surface, and the anti-glare is really nice.

With the B&N anti-glare screen protector, you get two. So when one wears out, you apply the other or take it in to B&N and they'll remove the old and apply the new for you. Otherwise, Invisible Shield has a lifetime warranty on it, but you need Retail Location access (correct me if I'm wrong) for warranty/product replacement.

In the States (California, at least), I know for sure there is a retail location in Palmdale, CA, at the mall, and I know Best Buy sells Invisible Shield products (don't know if they cover the warranty/replacement--probably not). Otherwise, sign up for emails from Zagg, they have 50% off sales/coupons for the website all the time.
    Anyone tried "anti-glare super duper premium 3 layer design" screen protectors form ebay?
    I just ordered and received those. Specifically, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...549017&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1720wt_844

I like the material, for the most part. If you aren't familiar with anti-glare screen protectors, they do add a bit of distortion to the screen. Its nothing really bad, and for the reduced glare I feel it is worth it.

I actually prefer the texture to that of the Nook's glass alone. My fingers glide more easily over it.

I haven't had experience with the official B&N screen protector, but the ebay product seems to be the same level of quality as the $30 anti-glare screen protector my friend got for his iPhone at the AT&T store.

My biggest complaint was the sizing of the plastic. The protector fits perfectly vertically, but horizontally there is a gap. It doesn't quite cover part of the glass. It is large enough to cover all of the actual screen, but not a small portion of the area in black that surrounds it. If it was another few millimeters wide, it would cover the entire glass section and please my OCD. :) Right now I am happy knowing that any VIEWABLE portion of the screen is protected.

I actually sent the seller a message today asking whether this was intentional but have yet to receive a response. For the money, it's well worth it. $6 for 2? Thanks! The seller shipped quickly too.

I applied it myself. I'd read another thread that said to run the shower on hot for a few minutes to clear the air of dust, and then apply the protector. I've installed quite a few screen protectors on other devices and figured I'd give it a shot; Hawaii is dusty. I ran the shower, closed the door, and used a microfiber cloth to wipe down the glass of the Nook while I waited for the steam to build. I slowly applied, was a bit off center the first try due to the sizing issue above, and was able to get it fairly well centered with no bubbles the 2nd time. No dust, and I have a 2nd protector once this one gets beat up.

At $6 shipped for 2 protectors, I recommend this product.