[Tweaks] Lightning Zap for Ntiro from Team Fah-Q!

Search This thread

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Please read the entire OP

DISCLAIMER:
I am NOT responsible for anything YOU do that causes damage to your device. Follow the instructions to TEE and there won't be any problems.

Your ROM/kernel MUST support init.d scripts

How do you know if your kernel supports init.d scripts? There are a number of ways to check, but the best way is to ask the developer of that kernel. You can also check in the ROMofCHOICE.zip by navigating to /system/etc/init.d. If the original .zip of your ROM has an init.d folder with scripts in it, then you are good to go.

What is Lightning Zap!?

Lightning Zap! is a set of tweaks that I have written and compiled to make the LG Nitro Lightning fast, super smooth, and contain excellent battery life!

I have used these same tweaks on devices like the Samsung SGS4G, Samsung Captivate, Samsung Skyrocket, Samsung Blaze, Sony S Tab. I have also assisted others with adding Lightning Zap! to their devices such as the Nexus S and various HTC devices. They have been proven time and time again to add amazing improvements to all devices.

What's the difference in the various version I find of Lightning Zap! when I google it?

Simply put, all devices are setup, formatted and created differently.

What's included in Lightning Zap!:
Battery tweaks for awesome battery life
Governor tweaks for amazing speed and performance without sacrificing battery life
Kernel tweaks
Memory and Ram tweaks
Cleaner tweaks
Build.prop tweaks
Internet speed tweaks
and MORE!

I used ParanoidAndroid ROM to test these tweaks. Although I have used the tweaks from froyo to jellybean, the the mounts, on some devices, are sometimes different as well as some kernel differences on each android version. If you are using a different ROM, feel free to test and post your results in this thread.

Install instructions:
Make a backup and then backup your data with titanium or something alike
***Download link is at the bottom of this post***
Download Lightning Zap! v1.zip to pc (Can be downloaded to sdcard also)
Place Lightning Zap! v1.zip on sdcard
Flash
Allow phone to set for 10 minutes after reboot
Enjoy

Last edited:

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Confirmed ROMs & kernels

This space is going to be used to track the ROMs and kernels people have tested and confirmed Lightning Zap! installs and functions correctly.

Gningerbread:

ICS:

Jellybean:
ParanoidAndroid
CM10
Miui 2.9.27
CodeNameAndroid

I'm also adding some helpful tips on how to test Lightning Zap! to get the most positive results.

Testing option 1:
After flashing Lightning Zap!, download SManager from the market, navigate to /system/etc/init.d
Press menu key/more/advanced options/mount /system as rw and click ok
Press on each script individually then a ui will come up
In the ui, tap the icon at the top that is a skull and cross bones (has SU under it) then tap run.
An output will be displayed. Note the output for errors and report errors to me. Please use pastebin.com to upload your outputs

Testing option 2:
Plug phone into pc, open a terminal/command prompt and type each command individually
adb shell
su
cd /system.etc.init.d
Now type the file name of each tweak individually, eg:
01governor
Now note each output that is displayed and look for errors
If errors exist, report errors to me. Please use pastebin.com.

There may be some errors that exist that are not true errors. I know what they are, but haven't noted them yet.
If you have failures, please get them to me as soon as you can so I can fix it

FYI, since I installed Lightning Zap! on my wife's Nitro, she is at 100% with light use at 4.5 hours... I know it is not a normal day for her as she uses her phone much more than what she is using it today, but this is just to give users an idea of how great my scripts are. Typically on my S2 Skyrocket I get about 30 hours under moderate use (many texts from my wife, 5-10 calls, 30-45 minutes of web browsing, etc.) on a single charge...

Last edited:

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
More improvements and tweaks

The governor tweak is set pretty high for performance. If you find yourself needing battery life over performance, you can make some minor changes. Here's how:
1 Download Script Manager from the market (it's free)
2 Open Script Manager and navigate to /system/etc/init.d
3 Press menu/more/advanced options and select mount as RW
4 Select 01governor and select "edit" at the top (this will open the file in atext editor)
5 Change:
Code:
echo "45" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
To:
Code:
echo "[COLOR=red]70[/COLOR]" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
6 Select menu/save
7 Press the skull and cross bones icon at the top (this will allow Super User)
8 Press run, close app and enjoy
This will result is slightly slower performance but higher battery life.

If you want even better battery life:
1 Following steps 1-4
2 Add a # at the begining of lines 11 to 19
3 Scroll to "pwoersaver" section
4 Remove the # at the begining of lines 28, 30-38 and 43
Code:
#AWAKE_GOVERNOR="ondemand"
#SLEEP_GOVERNOR="ondemand"
#    echo "70" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
etc
Code:
AWAKE_GOVERNOR="powersaver"
#SLEEP_GOVERNOR="powersaver"
        echo "20000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate;
5 Follow steps 6-8 (no need to select super user icon if you already did)
This will result in lower performance, but ultimate battery life

When running in a higher performance mode (especially for gaming) you can disable powersave_bias by changing the 1 to a 0 like this:
Code:
echo "1" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
echo "[COLOR=red]0[/COLOR]" >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
Powersave_bias only allows the CPU to peak for small increments at a time, and not allow the CPU to remain peaked even when the system calls for it. In gaming, that could result in choppy, laggy perofrmance and slow FPS..

Although it says not to in the script, you can change the sampling rate as well. Do not go below 50000. I left it at 57500 as I found this seems good setting for smooth scrolling and performance.

Code:
    echo "[COLOR=Red]57500[/COLOR]" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate;
Always leave SLEEP_GOVERNOR="powersave" uncommented (no #) and do not uncomment any other SLEEP_GOVERNOR as this will keep ultimate battery save while screen is off.
Only change values in increments of 5 for the up_threshold.

I am not resposible if you do something wrong. Make a back up just in case.

Last edited:

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Can i use it with official miui?

You should be able to, but like i said in the op, i need you guys to help me test. At worst, you will have to reflash your Rom and gapps... make sure you backup your data too...

Please report back with your results...

When i get home, i will post some testing tips for you guys also...

Sent from my SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Endless7

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
Thanks for supplying this! I'll have time to make these changes tomorrow and hope to see great improvements.

Sent from my LG-P930 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Thanks for supplying this! I'll ha e time to make these changes tomorrow and hope to see great improvements.

Are you building from source? If so, you can add many of the values straight into the kernel. I haven't looked at the Nitro's source, but I can still somewhat guide you on how to make a Lightning Zapped! kernel where the tweaks work MUCH better than going thru scripts...

Reactions: Endless7

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
Are you building from source? If so, you can add many of the values straight into the kernel. I haven't looked at the Nitro's source, but I can still somewhat guide you on how to make a Lightning Zapped! kernel where the tweaks work MUCH better than going thru scripts...

Oh heck no. I'm still a noob. I'm pretty good at following instructions though. Lol

Does SQLite Editor work the same? Can I perform all those changes with it or do I need the other app mentioned?

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
It works fine with miui. Phone become little more faster.
+500 points in antutu
Want to raise your scores even higher, refer to the second post but lower the up_threshold to 15. Of course this will take from your battery life, but it will seriously enhance your performance. You can also change powersave_bias, io_is_busy, down_differential, ignore_nice_load to "0" and play with sampling_rate a bit too... Keep in mind, the more you add performance, the less battery life you will have...

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Oh heck no. I'm still a noob. I'm pretty good at following instructions though. Lol

Does SQLite Editor work the same? Can I perform all those changes with it or do I need the other app mentioned?

Any text editor that supports shell scripting will work. As for adding this to a port, then it's as easy as adding files and a few entries in your updater-script...

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
I get that you want to automate the process a bit, but I think it could be annoying in some cases. What if I wanted to do something else in recovery before rebooting? Just my personal opinion.

From my experience, when flashing tweaks, you want to reboot immediately after so they fully install. Same with ROMs, kernels and recoveries... Otherwise, you can cause gremlins to take over and corrupt your partitions...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please read the entire OP

DISCLAIMER:
    I am NOT responsible for anything YOU do that causes damage to your device. Follow the instructions to TEE and there won't be any problems.

Your ROM/kernel MUST support init.d scripts

How do you know if your kernel supports init.d scripts? There are a number of ways to check, but the best way is to ask the developer of that kernel. You can also check in the ROMofCHOICE.zip by navigating to /system/etc/init.d. If the original .zip of your ROM has an init.d folder with scripts in it, then you are good to go.

What is Lightning Zap!?

Lightning Zap! is a set of tweaks that I have written and compiled to make the LG Nitro Lightning fast, super smooth, and contain excellent battery life!

I have used these same tweaks on devices like the Samsung SGS4G, Samsung Captivate, Samsung Skyrocket, Samsung Blaze, Sony S Tab. I have also assisted others with adding Lightning Zap! to their devices such as the Nexus S and various HTC devices. They have been proven time and time again to add amazing improvements to all devices.

What's the difference in the various version I find of Lightning Zap! when I google it?

Simply put, all devices are setup, formatted and created differently.

What's included in Lightning Zap!:
    Battery tweaks for awesome battery life
    Governor tweaks for amazing speed and performance without sacrificing battery life
    Kernel tweaks
    Memory and Ram tweaks
    Cleaner tweaks
    Build.prop tweaks
    Internet speed tweaks
    and MORE!

I used ParanoidAndroid ROM to test these tweaks. Although I have used the tweaks from froyo to jellybean, the the mounts, on some devices, are sometimes different as well as some kernel differences on each android version. If you are using a different ROM, feel free to test and post your results in this thread.

Install instructions:
    Make a backup and then backup your data with titanium or something alike
    ***Download link is at the bottom of this post***
    Download Lightning Zap! v1.zip to pc (Can be downloaded to sdcard also)
    Place Lightning Zap! v1.zip on sdcard
    Flash
    Allow phone to set for 10 minutes after reboot
    Enjoy
    More improvements and tweaks

The governor tweak is set pretty high for performance. If you find yourself needing battery life over performance, you can make some minor changes. Here's how:
    1 Download Script Manager from the market (it's free)
    2 Open Script Manager and navigate to /system/etc/init.d
    3 Press menu/more/advanced options and select mount as RW
    4 Select 01governor and select "edit" at the top (this will open the file in atext editor)
    5 Change:
    Code:
    echo "45" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
    To:
    Code:
    echo "[COLOR=red]70[/COLOR]" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
    6 Select menu/save
    7 Press the skull and cross bones icon at the top (this will allow Super User)
    8 Press run, close app and enjoy
    This will result is slightly slower performance but higher battery life.

If you want even better battery life:
    1 Following steps 1-4
    2 Add a # at the begining of lines 11 to 19
    3 Scroll to "pwoersaver" section
    4 Remove the # at the begining of lines 28, 30-38 and 43
    Code:
    #AWAKE_GOVERNOR="ondemand"
    #SLEEP_GOVERNOR="ondemand"
    #    echo "70" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
    etc
    Code:
    AWAKE_GOVERNOR="powersaver"
    #SLEEP_GOVERNOR="powersaver"
            echo "20000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate;
    5 Follow steps 6-8 (no need to select super user icon if you already did)
    This will result in lower performance, but ultimate battery life

When running in a higher performance mode (especially for gaming) you can disable powersave_bias by changing the 1 to a 0 like this:
    Code:
    echo "1" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
    echo "[COLOR=red]0[/COLOR]" >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
    Powersave_bias only allows the CPU to peak for small increments at a time, and not allow the CPU to remain peaked even when the system calls for it. In gaming, that could result in choppy, laggy perofrmance and slow FPS..

Although it says not to in the script, you can change the sampling rate as well. Do not go below 50000. I left it at 57500 as I found this seems good setting for smooth scrolling and performance.

Code:
        echo "[COLOR=Red]57500[/COLOR]" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate;
    Always leave SLEEP_GOVERNOR="powersave" uncommented (no #) and do not uncomment any other SLEEP_GOVERNOR as this will keep ultimate battery save while screen is off.
    Only change values in increments of 5 for the up_threshold.

I am not resposible if you do something wrong. Make a back up just in case.
    LZ kernel v1 has been uploaded and sent to the testers. Within the next few days, look for it's own thread in the dev section... Night all!
    Confirmed ROMs & kernels

This space is going to be used to track the ROMs and kernels people have tested and confirmed Lightning Zap! installs and functions correctly.

Gningerbread:

ICS:

Jellybean:
    ParanoidAndroid
    CM10
    Miui 2.9.27
    CodeNameAndroid

I'm also adding some helpful tips on how to test Lightning Zap! to get the most positive results.

Testing option 1:
    After flashing Lightning Zap!, download SManager from the market, navigate to /system/etc/init.d
    Press menu key/more/advanced options/mount /system as rw and click ok
    Press on each script individually then a ui will come up
    In the ui, tap the icon at the top that is a skull and cross bones (has SU under it) then tap run.
    An output will be displayed. Note the output for errors and report errors to me. Please use pastebin.com to upload your outputs

Testing option 2:
    Plug phone into pc, open a terminal/command prompt and type each command individually
    adb shell
    su
    cd /system.etc.init.d
    Now type the file name of each tweak individually, eg:
    01governor
    Now note each output that is displayed and look for errors
    If errors exist, report errors to me. Please use pastebin.com.

There may be some errors that exist that are not true errors. I know what they are, but haven't noted them yet.
    If you have failures, please get them to me as soon as you can so I can fix it

FYI, since I installed Lightning Zap! on my wife's Nitro, she is at 100% with light use at 4.5 hours... I know it is not a normal day for her as she uses her phone much more than what she is using it today, but this is just to give users an idea of how great my scripts are. Typically on my S2 Skyrocket I get about 30 hours under moderate use (many texts from my wife, 5-10 calls, 30-45 minutes of web browsing, etc.) on a single charge...
    PA 2.5+ is stable CM10 and it seems that it helps a little. Its not much of a help, in my opinion, but worth a try if you haven't already tried it.

Sent from my LG-P930, ParanoidAndroid, Supercharged, using xda premium

First off, I use lz kernel on 3 of my other devices and it is amazing (2 of those are pa). But the other device has my oc/uv lz kernel and gummy... so wait till I get the lz kernel finished for the nitro. You will really see an improvement...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app