Working WM 6.1 - UPDATE! 13/04/2008

Search This thread

bigflavor

Jan 15, 2007
nyc
Good morning,
I tried running "loadbootloader.exe" and received an error message indicating that it is not a valid win32 app. On Friday I reloaded the most current RUU which I believe is 1R2. This loaded fine. I will try running SSPL and Hard SPL again to see what happens. I am doubtful that I will have any more success than with my previous attempts though.

I just tried loading SSPL and it was a bust. The bootloader screen pops up for a couple of seconds and then the phone displays loading...
I have the SSPL program in the phone's windows/temp directory. Should it be elsewhere?

Same happens with the Hard SPL.

Yes, try putting it somewhere else. Temp must empty when device.exe ends. (<-- can anyone confirm?)

If that doesn't work, the bootloader.exe thing should be placed on your phone and run. Try that.

Last edited:

perels

Feb 22, 2008
Never gets passed the 0% - have read lurchy24 posts - no luck

Hi guys/girls,

I trying to update my Wings phone - but I can never get passed the 0% update progress. After a while the Windows program spits out:

ERROR [262] : UPDATE ERROR - in readme.doc it says:

This error occurs during the CE ROM code upgrade process.
Solution: If this happens, you can just soft-reset the device and run RUU again. The update process will then continue.
Note: At this stage, the Wince is destroyed; instead, it is in upgrade mode.

So I soft-reset the brick and re-run RUU = same problem.
I have read arpy's guide as well as the wiki-entry = same problem.

I'm sitting on WindowsXP SP2 (all updates) - ActiveSync 4.5.

Brick details:
Image/ROM version: 1.31.402.0
Radio version: 25.62.30.03H_1.58.17.02

Wing220 - SPL-1.31.0000
CPLD-7

Any suggestions - I guess I might be missing something here :)

cut1.JPG

cut2.JPG

perels

Feb 22, 2008
Great!! It works

Thanks bigflavor - it works now, apparently I missed the HardSPL flashing stuff :D You saved me hours.

Do you have any idea on how to change the Phone Language, because in Regional Settings there is only US English listed, not my Danish :)

- guess you're right the absence of girls in here :rolleyes:

bigflavor

Jan 15, 2007
nyc
Thanks bigflavor - it works now, apparently I missed the HardSPL flashing stuff :D You saved me hours.

Do you have any idea on how to change the Phone Language, because in Regional Settings there is only US English listed, not my Danish :)

- guess you're right the absence of girls in here :rolleyes:

I'm glad you caught my joke.

There are keyboard layouts available, but as for the "regional settings," I'm unsure.

Last edited:

buzzard

Jul 16, 2006
Houston, Texas
Yes, try putting it somewhere else. Temp must empty when device.exe ends. (<-- can anyone confirm?)

If that doesn't work, the bootloader.exe thing should be placed on your phone and run. Try that.
Well,
I am still at ground zero here.
Here is my process.
1) Thether my phone to my notebook PC (Compaq nc8430/Win XP/ SP2).
2) Activesync shows connected.
3) Copy SSPL to any of these three locations (Phone Temp folder, Phone My Docs
folder, or the mem card.
4) Launch SSPL with the phone tethered. The boot loader screen appears for a
couple of seconds then the screen goes grey and shows loading...
5) That is as far as SSPL makes it. If I re-try and pull and reseat the USB
momentarily when the bood loader is present, I receive an error message on my
PC indicating that one of my USB devices has failed. This is always the phone
port.
6) I have tried using the Flash Hard SPL program as well. I loaded tried the loader
as provided in the software download but if failed getting to the loading... screen
and then stopping there. This loader showed an HTC Touch as the device so I
extracted one of the loaders for the S730/Wings and copied the Hard SPL .nbh
file to this location, replacing the RUU .nbh file and tried flashing. This also failed
at the exact same location.

This is a very strange set of circumstances considering all of the success everyone else seems to be enjoying. It may be some stupid, simple step I am mising and I may end up kicking my own *** in the end but I have gone over the instructions several times and always end up at the same place.

Any thoughts??

bigflavor

Jan 15, 2007
nyc
Well,
I am still at ground zero here.
Here is my process.
1) Thether my phone to my notebook PC (Compaq nc8430/Win XP/ SP2).
2) Activesync shows connected.
3) Copy SSPL to any of these three locations (Phone Temp folder, Phone My Docs
folder, or the mem card.
4) Launch SSPL with the phone tethered. The boot loader screen appears for a
couple of seconds then the screen goes grey and shows loading...
5) That is as far as SSPL makes it. If I re-try and pull and reseat the USB
momentarily when the bood loader is present, I receive an error message on my
PC indicating that one of my USB devices has failed. This is always the phone
port.
6) I have tried using the Flash Hard SPL program as well. I loaded tried the loader
as provided in the software download but if failed getting to the loading... screen
and then stopping there. This loader showed an HTC Touch as the device so I
extracted one of the loaders for the S730/Wings and copied the Hard SPL .nbh
file to this location, replacing the RUU .nbh file and tried flashing. This also failed
at the exact same location.

This is a very strange set of circumstances considering all of the success everyone else seems to be enjoying. It may be some stupid, simple step I am mising and I may end up kicking my own *** in the end but I have gone over the instructions several times and always end up at the same place.

Any thoughts??

Where are you running SSPL from? Did you remove your SIM and SD cards?

buzzard

Jul 16, 2006
Houston, Texas
Right now I am running SSPL from the Windows My Documents folder. I have tried it in the Temp folder as well to no avail. I have been attempting to run SSPL with the phone tethered to the PC and with the SIM removed but not with the SD removed. I will try that next.
Just to follow this up my boot loader screen shows the following which would lead me to believe that the SPL has been effectively loaded:

Wing220 MFG
SPL-0.91.Jump
CPLD-7

bigflavor

Jan 15, 2007
nyc
I was trying to place a call once, but the phone wasn't on. I didn't understand. I then tried holding down the green button to turn on speakerphone, but I still couldn't make the call. It was very confusing. I then hit the red button, thinking that the phone was already making the call, but I still couldn't place the call. I even looked at the wiki and I still couldn't place a call.

Very weird. :cool:

Tell me I got 0wned

Last edited:

buzzard

Jul 16, 2006
Houston, Texas
No luck with SSPL or Hard SPL.
This seems to be a bust.
Ok,
I got all to load. It turns out that the timing of pulling the USB plug seems a critical factor in the loading of Hard SPL. Once that was figured out all went well and Alcaine's WM6.1 successfully loaded. All seems to be running normally for now. The trick will be how it handles being continually activesync'd to our exchange server. I receive about 200 emails a day with 90% of those having attachments. There is a 2gb mem card fitted and all my attachments should load to that card. Will see and let you know how that all works out.

retbergen

Feb 16, 2008
Whoaaah! I just went through the nerve wrecking installation and It works! So far so good. Connection to exchange work server was no problem.
Thanks for your hard work!

NeoID

Apr 24, 2008
Grimstad
I would really like to try this on my HTC S730, but is there a way to revert it if something goes wrong or I don't like 6.1? What if HTC comes with an update, could updating to 6.1 become an issue? What does the community think, it is really worth it?

I don't want to damage my new phone in any way just yet :p

arpy

Apr 16, 2007
Ahhh...a Newbie....:p

After my first flash (oh my god, i was scared+nervous...!!!) flashing becomes my favorite task for every new device...

First you have to recognize, FLASHING KILLS YOUR WARRANTY!!!IN ANY WAY, IF IT IS FROM HTC OR NOT!!!;)

Flashing is a safe procedure but YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS STEP BY STEP CAREFULLY...otherwise you may brick your Phone.

A cooked ROM Update like Alcalines ROM is well discussed, read this thread...you see, this is a recent Upgrade for Wings!
And you can "reflash" your phone with the ShippedRom (2nd Post) back to WM6...if you really want this.:rolleyes:

NeoID

Apr 24, 2008
Grimstad
Thanks for the info arpy.
Just to make sure.. I have to follow these steps:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=356295
before doing the actual upgrade?
1: Extract the .exe with WinZip to Desktop
2: Put Alcalines .nbh file into the new "RUU_..." Folder.... yes,replace the old one...
3: Cradle Phone and wait ActiveSync
4: Run "ROMUpdateUtility.exe" and wait...
?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts