Nexus S has no service or USB connection

Search This thread

Dan_Pat

Apr 19, 2012
I have a Sprint Nexus S 4G that I've recently rendered without service or USB connection as a result of a fastboot accident. I'm currently running ICS 4.0.3 (Dooderbutt-aosp-v-5 build), but have tried restoring multiple backups on CM7 to no avail. Wiping all user data in CWM doesn't fix it either. I have also tried flashing the LC1 radio zip with no results.

The way I see it, my two best courses of action would either be to try and return to a stock ROM so that I can send the device in under warranty or to continue to try to fix it myself, which has been less than successful so far. Every process I have found online to return to stock seems to end in fastboot oem lock, which won't do anything for me as my phone doesn't show up in fastboot devices, file explorer, or seem to be recognized by my computer in either Ubuntu or Win 7. I've tried connecting on my friends' computers with the same results. I've also tried using another USB cable. No dice.

Sorry if I missed something obvious before posting. I tried to do a lot of research online and have reached the end of what I know what to do. Any suggestions?

Dan_Pat

Apr 19, 2012
Bump.

After some more researching, it appears that there is no way to lock the bootloader except through USB connection with a computer. Does this mean I'm out of luck? Any suggestions as to how to solve this issue? Since my first post, I've flashed ICS 4.0.4 with no improvement on the above symptoms. Also, auto-rotation doesn't seem to work. My Baseband version in About is listed as Unknown. Does anyone have any clue? Replies would be greatly appreciated.

Dan_Pat

Apr 19, 2012
have you updated the android drivers on your computer? you wont be able to connect to fastboot without the drivers. you can get it here ... do the free download(on your computer) then follow the on screen instructions.

I'm running Ubuntu, so from what I understand, I don't need any drivers. Prior to this fiasco, my computer recognized it as a storage device in the file system as well as a device in fastboot. It doesn't come up as either now.

statisticalanomaly

Apr 23, 2012
Rennes
I had a similar problem after I updated to ICS 4.0.3, what version of Ubuntu do you have, and does the device show up when you run lsusb?

Also, have you checked inside the usb connector to see if one of the pins is bent or damaged?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan_Pat

Dan_Pat

Apr 19, 2012
I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 and no, my Nexus doesn't show up in lsusb or anything else I seem to try. I have checked the pins in the connector of the phone and even bent them around a little bit, but I doubt that's the problem. Since it disappeared immediately after a bad flash, I'm fairly confident this is a software-induced error.

statisticalanomaly

Apr 23, 2012
Rennes
Ok, the only other thing I can think of is a bad kernel or baseband, but since you've tried several different roms, I don't think that's the problem (unless you put on one that's not for your model).

Sorry I can't be more helpful, hope you figure it out!

Dan_Pat

Apr 19, 2012
Thanks for your help anyway. To be clear, each rom has its own kernel and baseband, correct? Are those things I can flash independently of roms like the radio?

coreytownsend

Feb 13, 2011
For the usb not connecting, I had the same problem. After trying every computer in the house, I grabbed a can of compressed air for electronics and blew out my micro usb port on the phone itself. There was a small piece of lint in there that was causing the connection to not be made. It's worth a try.

Dan_Pat

Apr 19, 2012
Found something, not sure if you've seen it already : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1077168

This bit is especially interesting :
"*If your having problems after the radio flash......go to dialer:

Type in *#*#72786#*#*, put your msl in, and let it re-provision"

I'm attempting to try this work around, but I can't seem to find my msl. I've tried putting in an incorrect code and checking alogcat for it as well as the terminal output of getprop. Neither of these give me the number. Sprint mentions using this code for resetting your phone in this tutorial, but I can't for the life of me find the part of their site that shows the msl.

This is exhausting. :( I really appreciate all your guys' help though. Thanks so much.

Dan_Pat

Apr 19, 2012
Unfortunately, I never figured out how to solve the problem. I took my phone into Sprint the other day and lucked out on the repair technician. He was messing around trying stuff and had a moment of realization when he booted into Clockworkmod. Even though I had voided my warranty, he still let me replace the phone for the $35 fee. I walked out with a brand new Photon 4G. I'm so happy, it's like Christmas in May!

To others who have this problem: sorry, but I don't know what to tell you! Mine was probably bricked. The MSL number didn't connect the phone and neither did anything else I tried. Best of luck to you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    have you updated the android drivers on your computer? you wont be able to connect to fastboot without the drivers. you can get it here http://www.junefabrics.com/android/ do the free download(on your computer) then follow the on screen instructions.
    I had a similar problem after I updated to ICS 4.0.3, what version of Ubuntu do you have, and does the device show up when you run lsusb?

Also, have you checked inside the usb connector to see if one of the pins is bent or damaged?
    Ok, the only other thing I can think of is a bad kernel or baseband, but since you've tried several different roms, I don't think that's the problem (unless you put on one that's not for your model).

Sorry I can't be more helpful, hope you figure it out!
    Found something, not sure if you've seen it already : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1077168

This bit is especially interesting :
    "*If your having problems after the radio flash......go to dialer:

Type in *#*#72786#*#*, put your msl in, and let it re-provision"
    For the usb not connecting, I had the same problem. After trying every computer in the house, I grabbed a can of compressed air for electronics and blew out my micro usb port on the phone itself. There was a small piece of lint in there that was causing the connection to not be made. It's worth a try.