Flashing via recovery reboots phone

Search This thread

R3NC0N

Jan 5, 2012
Nijmegen
Hello there!

I have an international HTC One with ViperOne 5.5.1.
I recently made my phone S-OFF (it has 1.54).

Now the problem: As soon as I try to flash either a kernel or a bootscreen, the phone reboots. I currently have CWM Touch (just 5 minutes now, I flashed CWMT because TWRP had the same problem). The problem is not in the recovery, since they both don't work. Fastboot works (I could flash a different recovery). It's just that as soon as something tries to flash into /system, the phone reboots itself. I tried pushing the bootscreen via adb, but that gave a 'protocol failure.'

tl;dr: Phone reboots while flashing in both TWRP and CWM Touch, eventually it didn't flash anything at all.

I am beyond reasoning and have no clue on what to do.

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
Hello there!

Now the problem: As soon as I try to flash either a kernel or a bootscreen, the phone reboots. I currently have CWM Touch (just 5 minutes now, I flashed CWMT because TWRP had the same problem). The problem is not in the recovery, since they both don't work. Fastboot works (I could flash a different recovery). It's just that as soon as something tries to flash into /system, the phone reboots itself. I tried pushing the bootscreen via adb, but that gave a 'protocol failure.'

tl;dr: Phone reboots while flashing in both TWRP and CWM Touch, eventually it didn't flash anything at all.

Try this: go back to recovery (TWRP 2.6.3.3. or .4 recommended for 4.4 ROMs at the moment)

dirty-flash the ROM, then while still in recovery (no reboot), flash kernel, etc.
then reboot

Reactions: R3NC0N

R3NC0N

Jan 5, 2012
Nijmegen
Wow, that actually worked. Weird stuff if you ask me.

edit: okay it didn't entirely work. The bootscreen didn't work, but I'll retry that after again rebooting.

edit 2: Weird, the bootscreen just won't work. I guess that's just a problem with the bootscreen then.

Last edited:

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut

edit: okay it didn't entirely work. The bootscreen didn't work, but I'll retry that after again rebooting.

edit 2: Weird, the bootscreen just won't work. I guess that's just a problem with the bootscreen then.

You sure the "bootscreen" zip is for your ROM? they changed the file-naming in 4.4 or 4.3 (don't remember as i never use them), so double check that part

Reactions: R3NC0N

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello there!

Try this: go back to recovery (TWRP 2.6.3.3. or .4 recommended for 4.4 ROMs at the moment)

dirty-flash the ROM, then while still in recovery (no reboot), flash kernel, etc.
    then reboot

You sure the "bootscreen" zip is for your ROM? they changed the file-naming in 4.4 or 4.3 (don't remember as i never use them), so double check that part