E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

dahui9

Jun 14, 2007
Cocoa/Tressure Coast
am I just mistiming the enter button or something, or do I have a bad download again.

It was asked last month in the root the aria thread with no resolve so if I could figure it out this might help some others out including myself, and I thought getting adb working was the hard part...

here is the code exactly

Code:
-- Install from sdcard..
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...

hit enter as per instructed (tried before after and all around this moment)

Code:
Installing update...
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 0)
Installation aborted.

Last edited:

a_rabid_moose

Jun 29, 2010
just run the two commands again.

adb push ota.zip /sdcard/update.zip

then type: adb push update.zip /sdcard/update.zip

but select update.zip on the phone and press power first and when it says "verifying" hit enter on the keyboard.

If it still doesnt work try reformatting the sd card

dahui9

Jun 14, 2007
Cocoa/Tressure Coast
and wham bam thank you mam I have root.

so if you get error 0 make sure you read carefully and don't try to perform root almost asleep.

I was redoing the ota.zip not the update.zip silly me :D

geske001

May 16, 2010
Mine says the same thing, but I made sure I copied it to the sdcard first along with a ROM and ota.zip, and root.zip.

I also noticed that on my command prompt that it says error: device not found.

Right before it says device not found in my command prompt, the batch file it typing adb push ota.zip //sdcard/update.zip.

right after i type rootme2 the batch file also types in my command prompt clr, but an error comes out 'clr' is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file. "Please Wait..." This is the time where I am trying to time the apply sdcard:update.zip in my recovery console on my phone with hitting enter for the second time after typing rootme2.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something? Am I mistiming it still? Is it that difficult to time it correctly?

I do have an HTC Android phone USB device under disk drives and a E:\ under portable devices without an exclaimation mark in my device manager. However if I try to double click drive e: in my computer it says to enter a disk.

ANY advice is GREATLY appreciated!!

Last edited:

geske001

May 16, 2010
BTW I have made sure adb is running in task manager and I have tried unplugging and replugging in my usb cord.

retro1010

Sep 2, 2009
I was having problems getting my slide running. It was suggested in the slide forums to install the free version of pda net onto the pc. It will find the right drivers for your device. I know the aria and slide are very simmilar. Alsp, it sounds silly, but I couldn't get root usinf my primary pc running win 7 64 bit. I dug an old xp 32 bit laptop out of my closet and got everything perfect on the first try.

Hope it helps some.

Sent from my rooted Mytouch Slide using XDA app.

geske001

May 16, 2010
Thank you for your reply. I already took the initiative to try it with an XP 32-bit system. Both systems seem to not be able to contact the device while it is in recovery state. No problems with the device while it is on and connected to either machine.

This is an Eris I am trying to root by the way. Everything seems to go like it is supposed to until the last part. The rootme2 command.

Thanks again, any other advice is appreciated!

retro1010

Sep 2, 2009
Sorry that none of that has worked. I saw eris and read aria......

Either way, I wrote it up, maybe it will help someone.

I have been folowing the aria since my father in law had me root his. I used the exact computer and same process to do both. I only got root on the aria, never installed a rom or anything, he just wanted swipe like my wife and I have. I followed one thread or another, and it reccomended running an app called usbdeview. I deleted all htc drivers that were using usb. I then followed advice on another thread to install pda.net with links. Then follow eugene373's htc root method. When it finally worked it was easy. I did it another 10 times before I finally figured out how to get clockwork to take.

Only other thing to make sure you have is the newest java installed. Not the normal one but the one for developers. If ya are stuck, try reading a little in the htc esspresso (mytouch slide) forums. The two phones are pretty much the same on the inside. Different wifi and a few other things. See if ya stumble onto your exact problem. I am not saying to flash slide roms or anything.

Best of luck to you :)

retro1010

Sep 2, 2009
How about...

Move your adb installation to something like c:\android. Put all of the files you are working with into c:\android\tools

The change directory to your android tools folder and try it again.

geske001

May 16, 2010
This is what I am getting from windows console both the same result with windows 7 64-bit and windows xp 32-bit...

C:\android\tools>rootme2

C:\android\tools>clr
'clr' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
"Please Wait..."

C:\android\tools>adb push ota.zip /sdcard/update.zip
error: device not found
"OK! Congratulations, your phone is almost ready to be rooted"
"Here is the tricky part..."
""
"To access the controls in recovery, press Volume Up+Power"
"From here, use the Volume buttons to go up and down and the Power button to sel
ect"
""
"IMPORTANT:"
"You will select apply update.zip, but within 1/2 sec of doing this you must pre
ss enter to continue this script"
"If it is not done in the timely manner, you can try again by rerunning this scr
ipt"

C:\android\tools>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

C:\android\tools>adb push update.zip /sdcard
error: device not found
"From here, you should see ClockWork Recovery by Koush, and can install any ROM
you would like!"
"If you liked the work in this, send a donation to Wes Garner or Eugene_373 (lin
ks in the ReadMe)"

On the phone I get...

Android system Recovery <2e>

Use volume key to highlight: click power key to select. (I navigate to Apply sdcard:update.zip and hit power button. (when I see the red triangle in the background on the phone turn to green circle, I immediately press enter on my console on my windows machine and get the following)

E:Can't open /cache/recover/command

--Install from sdcard...
Installing update...
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

I have done this a half a million times already with the same results. I tried at different times of the process with the same results. I do see HTC Android Phone USB device in my device manager with no errors. I do not see an Android adapter with My HTC in the device manager at all while in recovery mode like I do when the phone is all the way on and booted into the system.

I have tried everything listed in this thread and have been following wesgarner's post in xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=713347 which is based on Eugene_373's instructions. I found this thread with someone that appeared to have the same problem as I, and I tried what he tried and no luck.

Any further advice is GREATLY appreciated!! Thank You in advance!!

geske001

May 16, 2010
Has no one had this problem?

Factory wipe will just take me back to the version that I got this phone with, correct (2.1, replacement phone)?

Thank You!!

cemysh33

Feb 6, 2009
I am haveing the same problem where after fastboot/boot loader screen comes up I go to recovery it brings me to the screen with the phone , triangle and exclamation.I next push power and up volume button and it brings me to the android system recovery. <2e>. In yellow at the bottom it says E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command, before i even touch anything else. I then go to apply sdcard:update.zip and given the error:
--Install from sdcard...
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted

I have formated the sd card to FAT32 many times and now wondering if someone has the ability to send me their files that worked to boot up their phone with similar problems. Or even the clockwork backup files from the clockwork mod nan backup.

matt_b

Apr 19, 2010
Wichita
Thank you for your reply. I already took the initiative to try it with an XP 32-bit system. Both systems seem to not be able to contact the device while it is in recovery state. No problems with the device while it is on and connected to either machine.

This is an Eris I am trying to root by the way. Everything seems to go like it is supposed to until the last part. The rootme2 command.

Thanks again, any other advice is appreciated!

if you're having issues with drivers and ADB connectivity, install HTC Sync and it should install the proper drivers for your device. i have done that on a 64x windows 7 machine and a 32x XP machine.

http://www.htc.com/us/support/droid-eris-verizon/downloads/

matt_b

Apr 19, 2010
Wichita
I am haveing the same problem where after fastboot/boot loader screen comes up I go to recovery it brings me to the screen with the phone , triangle and exclamation.I next push power and up volume button and it brings me to the android system recovery. <2e>. In yellow at the bottom it says E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command, before i even touch anything else. I then go to apply sdcard:update.zip and given the error:
--Install from sdcard...
Installation aborted

I have formated the sd card to FAT32 many times and now wondering if someone has the ability to send me their files that worked to boot up their phone with similar problems. Or even the clockwork backup files from the clockwork mod nan backup.

the initial error is expected if you're attempting to access clockwork recovery the old way, (attempting to plug the usb cable in at the right time, pushing the commands, etc) which is now not needed. to root your phone, simply use the unrevoked teams method. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6952379&postcount=1

s.yogamurthy

Apr 29, 2012
--Install from sdcard...
Installation aborted

ur zip file is not signed properly...try to sign it or install through toggle signature verification in CWM recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.