[Video Guide] How To Root Galaxy S4 I337 / I337m Easy & User Friendly

Search This thread

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
Here is a couple of more. I figure its better to keep them all in one place so people can decide which guide they want to use.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257039

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257058

I think there might be a couple more out there but this should help people to answer any possible question about rooting that they could ever have.

If you have the AT&T OTA (MF3) for the SGH-I337 S4, the method in the OP does not work. Here is a method for rooting MF3:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2387577

For Canadian MG1 Firmware, try CF Auto-Root download for the SGH-I337M:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2293800

Last edited:

rsarwar

Feb 9, 2009
Just sold my Rogers S2 LTE because I upgraded to the S4. My quick question, if I ROOT and retain the original Samsung Recovery will I be able to still get and do official firmware upgrades? This is the only thing stopping me from going forward with rooting.

Reactions: StefGou

Slade8525

yeah sure!

similar method worked for my GS III; havent tested the GS IV with different sim just yet but GF's old GS III is working just fine for her sister in Canada (Bell i think). GF found it actually, and did it to hers 1st. ill know if it works when we leave for work in Montreal next week or if i bum a t-mobile cell from a friend.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2282683

Last edited:

MaliciousIntent69

Jan 26, 2012
California
Whenever I try this method, when it goes to push the exploit, it says error multiple devices or something. when I only have the S4 plugged in. Followed step by step.

sblevine

May 1, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Safe to root?

Excuse my ignorance, but on another thread it was suggested that in the absence of recovery and a backup image rooting might be premature. Is the general consensus now that it is safe to root? There seems to be some backup images around thought I don't know if they have been tested, and I haven't heard about recovery.

sblevine

speed2001

May 21, 2013
Newbie here... couple of questions

I have the same concern as the member above... is it already possible to restore the phone if something goes bad? Is there instructions anywhere around this forum? where?

Also, once you root the phone you can proceed to download a ROM and install it... when a new ROM version is available and I download and install it, do I lose the root?

What is the best (if more than one is already available) for the ATT S4?

Thank you all and sorry for the "newbieness"....

Cheers:good:

Relys

Apr 30, 2013
I have the same concern as the member above... is it already possible to restore the phone if something goes bad? Is there instructions anywhere around this forum? where?

Also, once you root the phone you can proceed to download a ROM and install it... when a new ROM version is available and I download and install it, do I lose the root?

What is the best (if more than one is already available) for the ATT S4?

Thank you all and sorry for the "newbieness"....

Cheers:good:

No, rooting gives you certain superuser privileges. You can use Titanium Backup to freeze and restore bloatware, AdBlock to block advertisements, etc. Some phone tracking software and remote desktop control software requires root as well.

You cannot modify the basic operating system (ROM) until the bootloader is unlocked. You can overwrite the files, but that will brick your device since the bootloader checks signatures.

There is a bootloader exploit for the ATT S4 that will be released within the next week. The developer was waiting until the Verizon version of the S4 was available so more people would be able to use the exploit before it was patched.

Do not accept an OTA update for your device as that is how they will patch the bootloader exploit.

1. Root your device.
2. Carrier unlock your device.
3. Install custom ROM when bootloader is exploited later this week.

Reactions: EnduringGuerila

speed2001

May 21, 2013
No, rooting gives you certain superuser privileges. You can use Titanium Backup to freeze and restore bloatware, AdBlock to block advertisements, etc. Some phone tracking software and remote desktop control software requires root as well.

You cannot modify the basic operating system (ROM) until the bootloader is unlocked. You can overwrite the files, but that will brick your device since the bootloader checks signatures.

There is a bootloader exploit for the ATT S4 that will be released within the next week. The developer was waiting until the Verizon version of the S4 was available so more people would be able to use the exploit before it was patched.

Do not accept an OTA update for your device as that is how they will patch the bootloader exploit.

1. Root your device.

Cool, thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that the bootloader was already exploited. Pure BS those protections that always end up broken like the IOS ones. What I would like is to have the S4 as factory released and load a good ROM without any problems and no bloatware. If not for the warranty I would buy an unlocked phone elsewhere.

Well, let's wait for the exploit next week. I don't want to brick my phone and not able to restore it. I will keep checking back.

Cheers and thanks again

Speed

rsarwar

Feb 9, 2009

1. Root your device.

Regarding the bold above, I am honestly not that interested in the Custom ROMS right now, only rooting and with this method it does not install any custom recovery, right? As well, if I root via this method will I be able to still do the OTA updates since Samsung recovery is untouched? I know and understand that I will likely loose root, but I can always re-root, right?

I am itching to root and this is the only thing stopping me as there seems to be much confusion about this.

BTW I am on Rogers (Canada) i337M if it makes a difference :confused:

Last edited:

zekeblue

May 12, 2013
Regarding the bold above, I am honestly not that interested in the Custom ROMS right now, only rooting and with this method it does not install any custom recovery, right? As well, if I root via this method will I be able to still do the OTA updates since Samsung recovery is untouched? I know and understand that I will likely loose root, but I can always re-root, right?

I am itching to root and this is the only thing stopping me as there seems to be much confusion about this.

BTW I am on Rogers (Canada) i337M if it makes a difference :confused:

I've been a bit confused as well despite reading hundreds of posts and watching referenced videos (I've also been hesitant to ask questions given the culture of this board). Here is what I hope is accurate, please correct where I am wrong:

1. We can root I337 now.
  2. Doing a simple root now is reversible, ie, can be un-rooted.
  3. The bootloader unlock is needed primarily for custom roms.
  4. If one does not desire a custom rom, there is no reason to wait to root.

And, a few questions:

1. Does rooting wipe out apps, settings, and/or data?
  2. Will an AT&T android system update remove the root?
  3. If so, can we just root again?

Thank you for clarifications. I'm sure there are many that are not posting with some of these questions. I will be glad to put together a noobie's guide if I can get a handle on all of this. It is all out there somewhere, but very fragmented, and often one post is contradicted by another.

Relys

Apr 30, 2013
I've been a bit confused as well despite reading hundreds of posts and watching referenced videos (I've also been hesitant to ask questions given the culture of this board). Here is what I hope is accurate, please correct where I am wrong:

1. We can root I337 now.

And, a few questions:

Thank you for clarifications. I'm sure there are many that are not posting with some of these questions. I will be glad to put together a noobie's guide if I can get a handle on all of this. It is all out there somewhere, but very fragmented, and often one post is contradicted by another.

Your assumptions are correct:
1. Yep.
2. Yes, you can delete busybox and su in your system directory to get your phone switch your phone from "Custom" to "Official" status. If you install SuperSu and remove Superuser you can have root while keeping "Official" status.
3. Correct.
4. If you **** up while messing around with root you can recover to stock ROM via Odin or Kies. There is no reason to wait for root.

To answer your questions.
1. No, nothing changes. You just enable superuser privileges.
2. Typically yes. Don't accept OTA's until your know they're safe.
3. It depends if they patch the exploit or not.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey folks. It's me again :victory: So I've got another super easy video guide on how to root your shiny new Samsung Galaxy S4 I337 or I337m.

This guide is using djrbliss's Motochopper tool. This tool has made it easier than ever to root a device! So BIG thanks goes out to him!

Links to everything can be found in the video description.

Enjoy ;)
    Here is a couple of more. I figure its better to keep them all in one place so people can decide which guide they want to use.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257039

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257058

I think there might be a couple more out there but this should help people to answer any possible question about rooting that they could ever have.

If you have the AT&T OTA (MF3) for the SGH-I337 S4, the method in the OP does not work. Here is a method for rooting MF3:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2387577

For Canadian MG1 Firmware, try CF Auto-Root download for the SGH-I337M:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2293800
    TWRP and CWM are custom recoveries.

IF YOUR BASEBAND VERSION ENDS IN MF3 AND YOU TRY TO FLASH A CUSTOM RECOVERY, YOU WILL BE HARD BRICKED!!!

I still remember what it was like to be brand new here.

If you're still trying to get your arms around flashing and rooting and what not, let me spell it out simple biker style right here. Maybe this will save someone.

A biker like myself thinks stock bikes need to be chopped. You can't buy cool, you have to make it.

First thing you need to do is be able to chop it. Out comes the angle grinder called: "ROOT".

Root is desirable and enables complete control over the device. Apps like Root Explorer must have root in order to work. Root Explorer lets you get into the phone all the way deep inside and like an angle grinder, can turn your motorcycle into useless pieces.

Stop right there with Root if you are pretty happy with your Harley and want loud pipes and maybe a cam and a new carb for a little more oomph. Stay stock. Reliable. It's not a chopper, but you have a little bit of cool happening. Go install cool things like Titanium Backup so you can freeze things in your phone from happening like the AT&T Update service that will prevent any OTA updates.

THIS IS WHAT NEW FOLKS MISS: Check your Baseband Version. if yours ends with MF3 instead of MDB or MDL?
    if your baseband version ends in MF3 this is where you stop

You have one of those new imaginary Harley's that are impossible to chop. It will never run again. It won't even start up. The wheels won't even roll. It's a garage ornament if you try and make it more cool than it is right now, bone stock, with a few add ons.

Chances are, you're a biker that wants to take cool all the way to the next level. MF3 Soft tails are for sissies. If it's not a rigid, it's not a chopper. We're going all in. We have the right stuff. Our basebands end in either MDB or MDL, we don't have the unchoppable MF3. We are going to make cool happen. So you need a welder. a custom recovery and there are a few to choose from, Tig, Mig, or CWM or TWRP. Folks with baseband versions ending in MF3 are stuck with their stock bikes, which are very reliable, and their ability to root lets them do cool things, but you can get that really long, raked front end you always wanted....because your baseband ends in MDB or MDL.

MF3 owners, stop reading. You'll just be eaten up with jones'n....

Here's where a phone is different than a motorcycle. You get to keep your stock bike while you're extending and raking your front end. There are lots of names for it. Nandroid. Flashing a backup. Recovery Image. So once you pick whether you want TWRP or CWM or whatever, you are now set up to KEEP YOUR STOCK BIKE!

Boot into your custom recovery. For me and my penchant for Tig over mig, I went with TWRP. I shut my phone off. Waited a spell, read the directions on the desktop computer again. Then I held it in my hands and planned my moves. I was ready to release the power button only while continuing to hold the volume up, as soon as it vibrated, and then let go of volume up when I saw a blue speck in the top left corner of the screen.

(play the sound of a welder crackling and hissing, and a grinder screaming it's shower of sparks everywhere)

You find the place in your custom recovery to make a backup Sometimes you can discover a way to choose where to store the back up, on the phone's internal, or your own external Micro SD card. This is called flashing a backup image nandroid and perhaps other ambiguous techno babble, try and swallow it like you did when you learned that knuckle, pan, and shovel were all different names for the same darn thing, it's an over head valve pushrod V twin with some style differences. It's still a motor. That's the bottom line.

Once you get this far, you have the ability to always go back into your custom recovery and restore that nandroid image, or backup file, or recovery, or whatever you want to call it so you can have your stock bike back up and running again, just in case you can't weld that stupid raked neck on straight and get it to ride right. If there are any MF3 readers still following along, you don't get to HAVE this. What you can DO is go into your STOCK recovery and factory reset your device to get rid of your root. You can then go and get root again. But that's it. Stock. or Stock rooted. No custom recovery for YOU! If you TRY to install a custom recovery it will BRICK IT!

And of course to finish the biker story, you have all you need now to flash if you have root, and a custom recovery, and a back up made. Put a copy of that back up on your computer too.

Hope this helps the blue collar that comes along all excited about chopping his new harley. Make sure the Baseband version ends in MDB or MDL. And most folks reading this are AT&T and Canadians this time are the ones that luck out.

Click settings, about phone, and examine your Baseband version. If it ends in MF3 you're M.F. 3 ways to Sunday if you learn how to root and then think you can use Goo Manager to flash a custom recovery! If you try it, you will brick it, and you will MF this and MF that and MF the MF out of the MF3.
    (bow)

1. We can root I337 now.

And, a few questions:

Your assumptions are correct:
    1. Yep.
    2. Yes, you can delete busybox and su in your system directory to get your phone switch your phone from "Custom" to "Official" status. If you install SuperSu and remove Superuser you can have root while keeping "Official" status.
    3. Correct.
    4. If you **** up while messing around with root you can recover to stock ROM via Odin or Kies. There is no reason to wait for root.

To answer your questions.
    1. No, nothing changes. You just enable superuser privileges.
    2. Typically yes. Don't accept OTA's until your know they're safe.
    3. It depends if they patch the exploit or not.
    yeah sure!

similar method worked for my GS III; havent tested the GS IV with different sim just yet but GF's old GS III is working just fine for her sister in Canada (Bell i think). GF found it actually, and did it to hers 1st. ill know if it works when we leave for work in Montreal next week or if i bum a t-mobile cell from a friend.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2282683