Incredible S slow with Android 4/ICS

Search This thread

Biges

Aug 21, 2008
Praha
Hi!
I recently updated my IS to the newest Android 4 and god, it's slow. There is lag everywhere, I click on a icon and it takes like a second for screen to appear. The previous version was much smoother.
I disabled the animations and it seems to helped a bit, is there anything else I can do? Or just revert to the older version?
Anybody else experiencing the same problem?
Thanks

poondog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 11, 2011
Melbourne
Hi!
I recently updated my IS to the newest Android 4 and god, it's slow. There is lag everywhere, I click on a icon and it takes like a second for screen to appear. The previous version was much smoother.
I disabled the animations and it seems to helped a bit, is there anything else I can do? Or just revert to the older version?
Thanks

Thats a known problem with stock ICS
If you flash a custom rom, generally they are faster
for example I had Ice Cold for a few months, rock solid and super fast

sirpellinor

Jul 6, 2012
I bought my incredible more than one year ago and I've never thought to unlock and go with custom rom until i got the last OTA. I was so disappointed i flashed Nik's project x almost the same day. You should really consider trying a custom rom. If you like stock appearance you could try android revolution HD i bet it will perform way better than stock ics

Inviato dal mio Incredible S con Tapatalk 2

Reactions: ericsson3819

Biges

Aug 21, 2008
Praha
Thanks for your confirmations! :)
I'll try a custom ROM then.
As for the appearance I use a custom homepage anyway.

jcr67

Jul 12, 2011
Sydney
After using CM7 for a while, which was great, I upgraded to IceCold 8.1.1. I found it slow and laggy. Then I updated to Official Stock ICS. Same. I updated the radio to the '11' version. Still the same. Now I am using Ice Cold 8.3. Still the same. I did full wipe, and restored apps with Titanium.

I am very frustrated. I want ICS, but I am thinking of going back to CM7.2. I should be happy with IceCold, but I'm not. Slow, laggy, and lots of 'not responding' messages. Facebook app is the worst - almost unusable.

Any ideas anyone? I have:

IceColdSandwich 8.3 Rossi
4EXT Recovery
Blackrose 2.02 S-OFF

poondog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 11, 2011
Melbourne
Ice cold is not laggy for me at all
How long have you let the ROM settle before deeming it laggy?
What clock speed for CPU? And maybe try go to recovery and clear both cache an dalvik cache, and make sure to do that after every rom flash if you don't already
Just that most of us are having a smooth nearly flawless ICS experience, hard to think only you are having problems

Sent from my Nexus 7

sCell_

Jul 16, 2012
@jcr67: It's funny how mine is the other way round. I mean I didn't use the stock ROM (or whatever it is called) and installed CM 7.2 as soon as I got my phone because I didn't like the stock UI at all and I had seen CM 7.2 running on DHD with my cousin so I was kinda impressed. I kept using it until I visited my cousin and comparing both the phones (play store, I had a topic on that) was just awful. My play store searching, loading, agreement would take ages. I had been trying lots of ROMs until I came across Ice cream sandwich ROMs and the speeds were great (Virtuous Vivo) but it was the stock UI again which got me bored. I, yesterday, came across a topic by Nathan about Incredible S ROMs and battery life and after reading each and every post, I knew IceColdSandwich is my next ROM or I am selling this ****. Then and now, this is the best ROM I tried till now. No lag, great UI (after theme installation that was in the topic itself, it's become even greater). The only problem I am having is with my battery life. I had this on other ROMs too. So all I can say is that I am more than just satisfied with this ROM.

Try reinstalling the ROM by after running the SuperWipe script (inside the Android Revolution HD ROM topic.)

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

night-shadow

Aug 1, 2012
Hi!
Thanks

i have the same problem ..

could any one help how to return to official old Android ROM before 4.0. version ?

jcr67

Jul 12, 2011
Sydney
Ignore my earlier comments, re IceCold.

I always clear dalvik, wipe etc, when installing. But I repeated this anyway, just to make sure. I let it settle down. It got better. And better. And now I have V6 supercharged it.
It's pretty great now.

Except for the battery life. I'm getting not much more than half a day, without doing much.

Last edited:

aerosmith

Nov 21, 2010
Usually I ensure that the following are disabled unless I really want them:
- WiFi
- Bluetooth
- GPS
- Vibration (keyboard)
- keyboard tones
- USB debugging

Optional: Automatic brightness turned off and set brightness to comfortable level

If you are overclocking it try to use it at usual clock speed. Overclocking consumes more battery.

Except for the battery life. I'm getting not much more than half a day, without doing much.

larkhillv7

Jul 27, 2012
for me the latest ota ics upgrade is quite good, just sometimes i can feel that things just dun get smooth enough, made my mind and tried few custom roms. Most of them are just really gud in term of performances and looks. Now im gud to go with ice cold rom, much better than official rom of course, and on the battery issue, just make sure u turn off anything u dun need when u dun need them

nednednerb

Oct 30, 2011
Vancouver
youtube.com
I find ARHD 3.0.1 with V6 Supercharger script properly installed (no KickAssKernelizer cos I want to wait for a custom kernel) and ultrasmooth rosie.apk to be a fairly smooth running experience.

Tip:
I've improved battery life and reduced common running temperature and hence increased performance/stability/speed by simply running GSM only instead of GSM/HSPA unless I'm in a good signal zone and want to browse data quickly. (I'm talking 2G/3G switching in the mobile network settings.. may not be labelled gsm/hspa in some ROMs). This is a good bet, especially when indoors. I live in a basement so signal drops are more steep for the higher frequency 3G signal.

This should be true for any ROM. Anywhere your data browsing is slow to heart-rendingly unusable.. should definitely save battery, reduce temp, and improve text and call reception to switch to GSM only!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using xda premium

Biges

Aug 21, 2008
Praha
OK, I have a simple question: Is any ICS custom ROM as fast as the Gingerbread stock ROM? OR do I need to find a way do downgrade to Gingerbread? Which will be a pain in the bottom parts...

zukri90

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
OK, I have a simple question: Is any ICS custom ROM as fast as the Gingerbread stock ROM? OR do I need to find a way do downgrade to Gingerbread? Which will be a pain in the bottom parts...

There's a thread about this guy enjoying ics as it speeds up the 3d performance.

Sent from my potato chips using xda qwertyuiop

dorack_uk

Mar 5, 2012
Plymouth
I find project X to be really quick and doesn't seem to struggle with multiple apps running I.e spotify, Facebook and chrome.

Easy to flash too!

dejemi

Jul 18, 2012
We Want ICS

For 'We Want CS' I still can see lag when open apps drawer & pull down notification. Anyway, its still better than OTA update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought my incredible more than one year ago and I've never thought to unlock and go with custom rom until i got the last OTA. I was so disappointed i flashed Nik's project x almost the same day. You should really consider trying a custom rom. If you like stock appearance you could try android revolution HD i bet it will perform way better than stock ics

Inviato dal mio Incredible S con Tapatalk 2
    I started to use custom ROM after upgrade to ICS. Laggy, even.the apps & notification drawer also laggy.