4.2 random reboots

Search This thread

mortek

Oct 2, 2012
I flashed the 4.2 update zip through twrp recovery and since I've been having random reboots (watching youtube, playing a game, reading a forum, or just doing nothing).

Is anyone else experiencing something similar?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

PikkonX

Oct 8, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Same here. I had a random reboot while just sitting at the homescreen. Never had that happen before in two months of owning it. N7 has been my most stable Android yet until 4.2...

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

ronin688

Jun 29, 2012
I just had mine reboot while it was sitting unused on my desk. I saw a flash and looked up and the boot animation was going. I hadn't touched it in at least an hour or two.

Never saw that behavior before 4.2.

Edit: Sorry forgot to add I'm stock. Not unlocked or rooted, stock OTA updates only.

Last edited:

hmf_x5

Jan 24, 2012
Same here. I had a random reboot while just sitting at the homescreen. Never had that happen before in two months of owning it. N7 has been my most stable Android yet until 4.2...

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

Had the same thing after doing an OTA update (stock). Right after the update everything worked fine. It started to get bad a few hours after I added a second user (just for the fun of it). I had terrible lag and sometimes the N7 just rebooted :( Today I did a factory reset and now (at least at the moment) everything is fine. N7 has also been my most stable Android, and 4.2 was the first time ever I had to do a factory reset :( (note that I also have the Transformer Prime which was very unstable and laggy until 4.1 !)

miki67

Aug 6, 2007
I experienced the same issue, a couple of random reboot since last evening 4.2 update never had before... very annoying :(

mortek

Oct 2, 2012
Had the same thing after doing an OTA update (stock). Right after the update everything worked fine. It started to get bad a few hours after I added a second user (just for the fun of it). I had terrible lag and sometimes the N7 just rebooted :( Today I did a factory reset and now (at least at the moment) everything is fine. N7 has also been my most stable Android, and 4.2 was the first time ever I had to do a factory reset :( (note that I also have the Transformer Prime which was very unstable and laggy until 4.1 !)

So I did a factory reset and now Play Store keeps giving me an error saying "Update could not be downloaded due to an error" whenever I try to update the system apps, and a similar error when I try to download a new app.

The connection is working, I tested it by browsing with Chrome and by browsing the store itself.

Weird stuff.

update:
I solved the playstore issue by deleting and re-adding my google account.

Last edited:

schism70

Jul 18, 2012
Random reboot here also. The one that I know of just happened while sitting here at my desk. Noticed the Nexus 'X' boot logo on the screen. Battery life blows now, too.

Did the OTA update to 4.2 the first night it was available. Never unlocked or rooted.

AndyXS

Aug 2, 2010
Stock 4.2 . unrooted. I can confirm the random reboots since i upgraded to 4.2

Happened in YouTube and whilst playing Jelly Defense...

Reactions: jt.one

Caifan09

Aug 2, 2010
Morelia
I'm unlocked, rooted and stock 4.2. I had something similar, I was using my nexus and had 49% battery life when suddenly my battery icon changed to a red exclamation sign !. Then it gave me the message to connect to a charger otherwise the tablet was going to shut-off. Seems weird since I had 49% battery life and almost 10 minutes later gave me that message and power off. Anyone experienced this before?

mortek

Oct 2, 2012
I did a factory reset and it seems that since (about 24h ago), the reboots have stopped.

I'll keep you informed.

Last edited:

edo_xda

Dec 2, 2010
London, UK
stock 4. OTA unrooted and then factory reset to properly set up multi users.

Now the device often does not wake from sleep.
It needs to be hard rebooted by keeping the power button long pressed.

simacca

Apr 27, 2006
Kent, uk
Had my first random reboot last night on 4.2 :(

Stock ROM, rooted, no cwm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

jazzespresso

Jul 24, 2012
NYC-USA
I do believe all these random reboot caused by the apps that are not up to date with 4.2. I have been keep recieving many updates from play store recentely (I just got 12 apps for update when I check the play store).

so I believe if wait for several days and let's all app developers catch up with 4.2 and push the updates the tablet, I have feeling these random reboot disappear.

Reactions: alvefa

riorim

Nov 26, 2011
Lyon
I'm unlocked, rooted and stock 4.2. I had something similar, I was using my nexus and had 49% battery life when suddenly my battery icon changed to a red exclamation sign !. Then it gave me the message to connect to a charger otherwise the tablet was going to shut-off. Seems weird since I had 49% battery life and almost 10 minutes later gave me that message and power off. Anyone experienced this before?

Exactly same on mine (rooted,unlocked,stock 4.2)
Had 30% battery then suddently shut down, same symptoms..

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 7 avec Tapatalk

SFVDan

Oct 31, 2006
Virginia
I do believe all these random reboot caused by the apps that are not up to date with 4.2. I have been keep recieving many updates from play store recentely (I just got 12 apps for update when I check the play store).

so I believe if wait for several days and let's all app developers catch up with 4.2 and push the updates the tablet, I have feeling these random reboot disappear.

I believe this is a likely scenario. I'm getting the same kinds of random reboots on my GNex, which was updated to 4.2 at the same time as my N7.

SirWill

Jul 3, 2011
So far 1 random reboot this morning, sitting on my desk doing nothing, looked up saw the boot animation. Hopefully everyone is right about the apps, and that it will be fixed with app updates. It would be nice if there was a way to quickly identify all apps with an issue on 4.2... (on device app that scans it...)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HD Widgets possible work-around / fix

Hey guys,

Radley from HD Widgets here.

We don't follow this forum so didn't know there was big discussion going on. We're aware of the crashes and have talked to Google about it. They've confirmed it's not our app and are working on a fix.

Uninstalling our app seems to work, which is semi-good. I'm wondering if it could be related to the "no delete" bug we found. Basically, when you Remove a lock screen widget, it's removed from the screen but it's not actually deleted in the system (Google's aware and working on a fix). The result are ghost widgets in the system. Perhaps they're the culprit?

We added a work-around to manually delete ghosts. In the Active Widgets activity, select "More..." from the bottom menu, then tap "Delete".

Deleting these ghost widgets may fix the crashing. I'll run some tests to confirm next week when I'm back at work.
    Guys, i had this problem until i saw this thread about a fix here in xda(the title should say ([guide]4.2 lag fix) or something like that). Basically what they're saying that is causing the lag and other problems is the google currents app. All you have to do is open it, go to settings and uncheck background sync. And to be sure, go to your device's settings and go to app, and disable google currents. It worked for me.

Just sharing it cause the thread didn't blow up. So im not sure if you guys were able to see it or not. My lags are gone and so is the random shutdowns.

Edit*

Here's the link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2012756
    I have random freezes and reboots at least 1-2 times a week and it really starts to annoy me. I don't use any clock widgets apart from stock and I don't use HD widgets. I have tried a factory reset but it didn't help (in fact the reboots have been more frequent since then). I didn't have this problem before 4.2. Let's hope for a Google fix soon!

through Tapatalk HD with my Nexus 7

HD widgets is not the cause of the reboot, it simply accesses a core system function which results on a reboot, in the same way that any other widget or function that accesses location services could also result in a reboot.

Try to disable all location functions to see if that helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

I've had a random reboot about 4 or 5 times since the latest update. Stock kernel and rooted. It's just frustrating. This update was a big mistake. Battery drains faster than ever and tons of lag, especially when dealing with screen rotation.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda app-developers app