G2 Gingerbread OTA starts today

Search This thread

kingston73

Feb 8, 2011
okay so i made it to step 4 and i highlighted "Apply sdcard:update.zip" in blue.
but at the bottom of the phone and the red triangle it says in yellow: "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command"

is that suppose to happen? do i continue still?
if not what do i do?

Once you highlight the "apply sdcard..." using the volume button, you press the power button up top to select it. It should, if working correctly, start showing you lines of yellow text telling you what's going on, it'll take a few minutes once you select "apply" so be patient. I didn't really pay attention to the individual yellow lines as it was updating, sorry.

Kilroy672

May 31, 2008
The Buckeye State
This is what I get when I try to this:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Now what?

Reactions: HTC HD2 MAN

RebelScum75

Jul 15, 2010
This is pretty exciting! I love the stable-ness of stock - currently running rooted stock froyo on my G2.

Can we expect someone to root this OTA update and get it up for us G2 users? That would be fantastic. Or at the very least a guide to root it ourselves and a DL link to the update.zip would be fantastic :) Now there may be one here on this thread, but I can't search through 39 pages - point me to it if I am wrong!

The official dl link is http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/tmobile_g2/f4d11a64d2df.OTA_Vision_Gingerbread_S_TMOUS_2.15.531.3-1.22.531.8_release_197463.zip

See page 32 of this thread.

konoplya

Oct 15, 2010
Ancapistan

Installation aborted.

Now what?

i got that, too, only not with the gingerbread update, but with an ota that updated from 1.19 to 1.22.. haven't tried gingerbread yet

HTC HD2 MAN

Nov 11, 2010

Installation aborted.

Now what?

thats the same exact thing im getting. you can reboot and you'll be safe again

jorenko

Jul 31, 2010

Installation aborted.

Now what?

Reboot back into 2.2, and use a file manager app to make sure of the filename. If it's not update.zip, rename it and try again.

captainreynolds

Mar 7, 2011
Okay:
1) Relax
2) Don't panic
3) Were you real stock before flashing the 2.3.3 leak? If so, you might be still stuck unable to root/update - might! We don't yet have the sdcard update (full or partial) from the T-Mobile stores that I know of.
4) If you were gfree s-off before flashing the leak, like me, then you should have always been able to just flash the official 1.19 PC10IMG.zip, have fake s-off, and reroot it.
5) If 3 - hang in there, if 4, try to (at your risk) flash back earlier and go thru ota

zkid;

I rooted via the rage method, I believe. (here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=834228

From what I have gathered before, this is a "fake s-off" method.

I am running a rooted stock rom with the stock kernel, but have clockworkmod recovery flashed currently. Can I flash this rom, re-root it the same way, and have a rooted version of the OTA update?

If not, should I downgrade, unroot, then root via gfree and put on this gingerbread update or simply wait until someone gets a rom of this out?

'Preciate the help, mate!

Last edited:

jouva

May 24, 2009
circa Philadelphia PA
To fix some confusion I see right now:

• The E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command line is ok and we're ALL getting it. Continue on
  • Do not forget to rename the file update.zip. Rename it before or after it's on the card, it doesn't matter. Make sure it's simply update.zip on the root of the SD card BEFORE you boot into recovery. It's the only file it'll try and find.

Reactions: HTC HD2 MAN

theebest

Oct 24, 2010
Vegassss Baby!
Sigh alright guys i just flashed the update.zip and i have been stuck at the white htc logo for 10 minutes :/. I had stock recovery and stock g2 (which is rooted) rom i had when i used gfree. BUT i have desireZ ENG HBOOT. do you think that might have caused a problem?

What should i do from here?

Edit:Now my Hboot is DesireZHboot with S-On i can still get into stock recovery BUT when i go in
i get the following error

Edit2:Will flashing the stock pc10img.zip from tmo give me stock Hboot s-on and maybe make me pass the white HTC screen??

Last edited:

[hfm]

Aug 21, 2009
NYC
Updated successfuly from 2.2 using the zip file posted by spookievision.

I noticed though that the CRT animation isn't there. Is it there for anyone else after this update? Was kinda looking forward to it.

I just noticed I can turn it off by going into display and turning off screen animations. Guessing this isn't the problem though. My wife is going to be somewhat upset she likes that on my nexus s.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

HTC HD2 MAN

Nov 11, 2010
To fix some confusion I see right now:

• The E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command line is ok and we're ALL getting it. Continue on
  • Do not forget to rename the file update.zip. Rename it before or after it's on the card, it doesn't matter. Make sure it's simply update.zip on the root of the SD card BEFORE you boot into recovery. It's the only file it'll try and find.

ohh i opened my astro manager and i went to "update.zip" then i went on rename and it was currently saying "update.zip.zip" so i took out the extra ".zip"

will try again now :) thanks

inspacenyc

Aug 4, 2011
I just noticed I can turn it off by going into display and turning off screen animations. Guessing this isn't the problem though. My wife is going to be somewhat upset she likes that on my nexus s.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

I have it set to show all animations, but the CRT style animation it's supposed to show when turning the screen off just isn't showing, so i'm guessing it's not in this update :mad:

zkid2010

May 17, 2010
Spokane, WA
zkid;

I rooted via the rage method, I believe. (here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=834228

From what I have gathered before, this is a "fake s-off" method.

I am running a rooted stock rom with the stock kernel, but have clockworkmod recovery flashed currently. Can I flash this rom, re-root it the same way, and have a rooted version of the OTA update?

If not, should I downgrade, unroot, then root via gfree and put on this gingerbread update or simply wait until someone gets a rom of this out?

'Preciate the help, mate!

I would suggest that only people that are currently running stock 1.22 (or stock 1.22 and previously gfree'd with now false s-off) try applying this, and then only if you don't mind the hassle of having to reflash 1.19 to be able reroot again if you desire.

I have no experience with the rage util my brutha and so therefore can't, with a clear conscience, suggest you do anything which might mess up your phone.

Reactions: captainreynolds

Lockedown

Nov 18, 2009
This may have already been answered, but here goes: Should I stay on 2.2 and wait for a rooted version of this, or will there be a root for 2.3.4 as soon as there is a rooted version of this OTA update?

I want to upgrade, but not if I have to downgrade to root *later*.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rename the file you download to update.zip and place it on the root of the SDCARD. Then use the factory recovery to apply the update.
    Now I've been mostly nice in this thread and being logical. I'm also aware nobody HAS to do anything for us.

That being said...

Why are people that come to read this thread not even bothering to run aLogCat????

Seriously. If you're coming to this forum, you probably have an understanding beyond the general public about your device. By now, many people should be running aLogCat. Why are so many people posting they have it yet not providing URLs? And is there not some way to go BACK into the log? I mean it IS a FILE is it not?

Also for those of you thinking this is some bull**** that doesn't really exist, go join the people who keep talking about other conspiracy theories. The update exists. It's just being rolled out very slowly.
    Too bad you didn't run aLogCat before the update downloaded, we'd have the url now.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

yeah, so instead in 5-10 min you'll have a dropbox or mediashare url. waaaaa :D
    Try this URL for the direct download:

http_colon_slash_slash_android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/tmobile_g2/f4d11a64d2df.OTA_Vision_Gingerbread_S_TMOUS_2.15.531.3-1.22.531.8_release_197463.zip

It worked for me.