another repair needed for the Ultra!

Search This thread

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Well, tough choice. There really isn't anything out that's better than the ultra by enough of a margin to make me want it. Perhaps if you were able to wait for the nexus 6? Then you'd have some cash leftover also.

I think I've been very lucky with my unit as apart from ghost clicks have had no issues at all even on 136. I can understand others experiences leading them to swapping it for something else.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Meh, I'm not really a Nexus person. I like AOSP and the fast updates, but they are made to be cheap, and that the last thing I want. I don't want plastic. I'll probably stick with the Ultra. There aren't really any "must have" devices out right now.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

pedal2themedal

Feb 27, 2009
KS
Indeed. Luckily, the law here states that if I have to repair the same thing twice (remember that they didn't actually fix it the last time) and it still isn't working properly when I get it back, I can either demand them to give me my money back or a brand new Ultra.

I'll call my carrier tomorrow and let them register it again for repairs and at the same time mention that I will demand a new device if the service center screws it up this time too. Should I choose a new Ultra or cash, if it comes to that? :p

I know what I would do and that is flash something that will break the bootloader aka Fastboot and flashboot and then send it in. I flashed a stock gpe tom on my Sony version. Had a dead pixel and I doubt they would have fixed it otherwise. Lol. Had a brand new phone in less than a month. If it won't turn on they can't say it's not broken that's for sure. Lol. Let me know and I can cook up a bad room for ya. Lol

Sent from my C6806 using Tapatalk

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
I know what I would do and that is flash something that will break the bootloader aka Fastboot and flashboot and then send it in. I flashed a stock gpe tom on my Sony version. Had a dead pixel and I doubt they would have fixed it otherwise. Lol. Had a brand new phone in less than a month. If it won't turn on they can't say it's not broken that's for sure. Lol. Let me know and I can cook up a bad room for ya. Lol

Sent from my C6806 using Tapatalk

LOL, thanks but no thanks :p I'd do it if I had screwed something up myself to cover my own ass, but I have warranty, so no scams are needed, Kramer :p

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Alright, i've talked to my carrier and they'll give me a new Ultra (or money if I want that) if the issue is not solved when I receive my Ultra back. I'll probably send it in to repair at the end of the week.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
I won't turn this into my personal blog (again?), or rant thread (yet) so just relax :p I sent my Ultra in for repairs today, and i'll hopefully have it back again with a new screen next week. They told me that they'll work on it this friday if they receive it before that day, which i guess they will, so they might be done with it this friday and i'll have it back again early next week. I'll be impressed if that's the case.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
UPDATE: Well that was quick. The service center received my Ultra yesterday and it got repaired today. They replaced the entire screen and updated to 4.4, which i knew they would do, so now i'll have to wait a couple of days until i get it back, so i'll probably get it on monday or tuesday.

awkward-dance-party6.gif

SpyderTracks

Jan 13, 2007
London
UPDATE: Well that was quick. The service center received my Ultra yesterday and it got repaired today. They replaced the entire screen and updated to 4.4, which i knew they would do, so now i'll have to wait a couple of days until i get it back, so i'll probably get it on monday or tuesday.

awkward-dance-party6.gif

Touch wood but already that's a damn sight better than last time! Woo hoo.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
You just know it's going to arrive with a locked BL now

You mean like carrier locked Bootloader? I would've smashed it with tree ton hammer if that happened, but carriers don't do that around here as far as I know.

But who knows. It's me after all, so something has to happen. No earthquakes volcanoes or tornadoes will happen around here, no wars or extreme weather either, so I'm guessing a mailman will bump the package into his knee or something, and that will be it. The brand new screen will shatter into 5.4 billion pieces.

I'm fun at parties BTW.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
It's back baby! So, a little summary:

- They received it on thursday
- Fixed it friday
- They sent it back (monday) yesterday
- I received it today (tuesday)

Last edited:

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
And how is it now? [emoji12]

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk

It's as good as new! They changed the whole panel, so I also got a new and scratch free anti shatter protector, so my back looks like **** now since it's a little scratched up. I also had a dead pixel on my previous screen, so that's gone too.

The failed miserably the first time, but they did a good and incredible quick job this time.

Reactions: SpyderTracks

SpyderTracks

Jan 13, 2007
London
It's as good as new! They changed the whole panel, so I also got a new and scratch free anti shatter protector, so my back looks like **** now since it's a little scratched up. I also had a dead pixel on my previous screen, so that's gone too.

The failed miserably the first time, but they did a good and incredible quick job this time.

Nice one brother! Have you put it in the fridge yet, or not tempting fate?

Reactions: LordManhattan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No that reminds me of something... Can't... Think... Of.... What

So basically it didn't survive the water test? Makes me think twice now with regards to taking my Z Ultra in the water...

It's a shame your not covered by insurance.

I've used it in the rain, before I had the initial repair. worked fine, the humidity paper was still white. BUt the last repair company was complete rubbish. Was not my call as it was shipped to Hong Kong (where i purchased it) and they had it repaired.

So if your device is new, and not been opened then you're safe.

Oh man! Feel for ya bud, that's not good. Is the phone passing you off or is it worth it when you have it working?

Yeah i'll get it repaired, and then sell it. I've bough a C6833 in New Zealand. Its not a sony store, but at least I don't have to ship it overseas. Should arrive next week I'm guessing. I was looking at the Z1.... but just couldn't do it. size of screen is obviously more important to me than a better camera... plus i have the QX10 so there's that.
    Yeah i'll get it repaired, and then sell it. I've bough a C6833 in New Zealand. Its not a sony store, but at least I don't have to ship it overseas. Should arrive next week I'm guessing. I was looking at the Z1.... but just couldn't do it. size of screen is obviously more important to me than a better camera... plus i have the QX10 so there's that.

Yeah, despite what my first girlfriend told me, size ultimately matters.

Thank God you have an Ultra again, I was scared you would get some other cell and quit this section of forum! . Man..! your posts are very helpful.
    Now I've got to return for repair too.. How many of us is that now?? (headphone jack lost "sound", bluetooth headphone sound all good)

Presume I have relock bootloader, restore TA, factory reset etc... Or are Hardware warranties ok with UB?

sent from my Xperia..

Before you send it back; check the jack for pocket lint. Happened to me after owning the device for two days. Only mic working on the headset. Used a headed needle to remove the lint that had stuck in the socket, and all good again.

-KJ