[Q] Anyone know what text messages from 8737 are for ?

Search This thread

zilla1000

Oct 22, 2010
I am constantly receiving text message from 8737 with meaningless contain. It starts show up after I rooted my phone. This is an example of the message

//LL:1563:1322059716115:R1U:C:dkCO1rg3+3ZS8R8UQL+LqA==:8NSXA9VKJUSS2IZSE6M07HD9ZIX9RBKU

Does anyone know what this is ? I would like to find out more before I restore the stock rom / call Sprint support.

Thanks

my1zamboni

Nov 7, 2010
South Berwick
I had the same problem with Go SMS and being rooted.
There is a way to shut it off it is buried in the settings and something about I believe it was in receive settings and I unchecked "Disable other message notification" I believe that is what stopped it for me.

Reactions: tazfanatic

tubasteve

Oct 2, 2010
You got voice mail. It's stuff that is handled in the back ground by android...turned off block other sms pop up s. Got 8 vm. I've known it for a while almost forgot. The feature is lane in go sms cause it doesn't say point blank what happened.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

cordell12

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
I get them now and then and I dont have Go SMS installed. I do have Handcent, but I think they are LOS related. Seems like after a LOS happens and I reboot is when I get them.

housry23

Sep 23, 2009
Springfield, OH
It is not a GoSMS problem. I have gotten them on stock messaging app. I just block that # in GoSMS and problem solved. I'm sure Handcent has the same feature to block #'s.

nunyabiziz

Jul 5, 2007
It does, I just wanted to point out its not a GoSMS thing only, or a 3rd party SMS app for that matter. :)

Correct, think of it as the 3pty app's server pinging the app. It happens all the time, but if the app was working correctly we would never see these unknown text messages being received by the phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
Correct, think of it as the 3pty app's server pinging the app. It happens all the time, but if the app was working correctly we would never see these unknown text messages being received by the phone.

He said it's NOT a 3rd party messaging app issue. I know this to be a fact and wish people would stop claiming otherwise without knowing for sure. People without any 3rd party messaging app installed get these messages = Go SMS theory broken.

I'll have to agree Cordell12, I'm back to Rouges stock w/ CWM kernel and have yet to receive another one of these messages - also I haven't had a single LoS. When I used other kernels that suffered Los I would get these messages. Correlation? Seems to be.

nunyabiziz

Jul 5, 2007
I may be wrong but if this is the case I'm wondering why I have this issue on complete stock phone. I'm using handcent.

Success100

Jan 31, 2008
Cleveland
He said it's NOT a 3rd party messaging app issue. I know this to be a fact and wish people would stop claiming otherwise without knowing for sure. People without any 3rd party messaging app installed get these messages = Go SMS theory broken.

I'll have to agree Cordell12, I'm back to Rouges stock w/ CWM kernel and have yet to receive another one of these messages - also I haven't had a single LoS. When I used other kernels that suffered Los I would get these messages. Correlation? Seems to be.

dude ive used all the different kernels, but always used the stock app. never recived any messages from 8737. However my coworker has an unrooted et4g with go sms pro installed and she gets tons of these messages. She took it to a sprint repair center, and even though most of them are complete retards, she actually found a knowedlgeable tech that immediately told her to uninstall go sms pro. since she has done that, her messages have stopped. thats no coincidence

Dalmus

Feb 6, 2011
Milwaukee
This most definitely IS caused by having a third party app monitor your texts or phone calls. People who screw up the install of Google Voice also have this problem.

Sprint uses a "silent" text message from a certain number to alert your phone that you have a voice mail message. The STOCK app interprets this text message and passes it on to VVM, which then reaches out to get the relevent data and the actual message.

When you install a third party application, such as GO SMS or Handscent, that asks if you want to disable the stock messenger, NEVER do this. This is what breaks your voicemail and you start getting those texts from 4 digit numbers.

Instead, simply go into the settings of your STOCK app, and tell it not to display notifications. Problem solved.

If you haven't installed a 3rd party messenger app and you start getting those texts, your app is screwed up. Maybe you're using a ROM that pulled the messenger APK form a non Sprint phone, or whatever... Receiving those messages means your stock app is turned off somehow.

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
dude ive used all the different kernels, but always used the stock app. never recived any messages from 8737. However my coworker has an unrooted et4g with go sms pro installed and she gets tons of these messages. She took it to a sprint repair center, and even though most of them are complete retards, she actually found a knowedlgeable tech that immediately told her to uninstall go sms pro. since she has done that, her messages have stopped. thats no coincidence
So we've resolved nothing then...

We still have people with no 3rd party messaging app getting these messages. So what's the common factor in all of them, anything? Google Voice? Sure, I'll give room for that to be the cause since it's "3rd party" in the sense that it didn't come installed natively. However, I switch kernels and get these messages. I switch back to a stock kernel and the messages stop along with Los? Without me touching GV at either point how is this explained by a 3rd party messaging app?

So could it be both the kernel/LoS or a 3rd party app that causes it? Or are we still going to stay glued to the app theory? Not trying to be a **** about this, sorry if it comes off that way but this is just annoying and everyone holding on to one theory that can be proven wrong isn't helping at all.

Success100

Jan 31, 2008
Cleveland
no arguments with you bruh, i understand what your saying. I cant really say anything about the people on stock. i think would have to be caused by google voice or some type of program that interferes with the silent message used by the visual voicemail system. thats what the 8737 message is for, its a silent message

stargaterules

Oct 3, 2010
San Francisco
LoS

No,it really is the LoS notification. I've observed this on my phone and every time my radio reboots or the phone restarts because of the LoS, i get the notification.

ghostboa

Oct 1, 2007
No,it really is the LoS notification. I've observed this on my phone and every time my radio reboots or the phone restarts because of the LoS, i get the notification.

Nope. I only began getting these messages after installing GoSms. I have never experienced los on this device. Blocked the number and still using GoSms.

ungovernable1977

Oct 11, 2010
Seattle
If you get this when you change kernels etc. then reprovision voicemail... ive had that intermittently... and i did try the annoying gvoice integration and could not get rid of it until i disabled gvoice in its own setting, via a desktop browser, then reprovisioned stock vmail w the dialer code (see help in stock voicemail). as far as gosms... idunno why they decided to add the force disable stock setting... was it really that hard to disable stock notifications like they tell you to upon install? but i wouldnt doubt gvoice has something to do with it if you have tried it... PITA to get rid of... and if sprint wont comp me for google handling vm and sms then ill stick to what i pay for. plus gvoice is white... did they make it for the iphone?

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
I started getting this on my SGSIII with the JB update and being rooted..never happened before

beezar

Oct 29, 2011
So we've resolved nothing then...

We still have people with no 3rd party messaging app getting these messages. So what's the common factor in all of them, anything? Google Voice? Sure, I'll give room for that to be the cause since it's "3rd party" in the sense that it didn't come installed natively. However, I switch kernels and get these messages. I switch back to a stock kernel and the messages stop along with Los? Without me touching GV at either point how is this explained by a 3rd party messaging app?

So could it be both the kernel/LoS or a 3rd party app that causes it? Or are we still going to stay glued to the app theory? Not trying to be a **** about this, sorry if it comes off that way but this is just annoying and everyone holding on to one theory that can be proven wrong isn't helping at all.

So you don't use a 3rd party messaging app at all (gosms, handcent) and you still get this message?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am on a rooted Galaxy Note 2 SPH L900 running JellyBomb v19.0 rom with a 3.0.36 Persusv36.3 kernal. I have sprint voicemail app forzen, and I use Google Voice instead. I also have 2 3rd party sms/mms apps installed, Sliding Message and Ninja SMS, and I've had this set up for 7 months, and only 3 days ago apparently started receiving these messages
    //LL:1563:1375711760235:UXW:C:mmkRjU3RZsQY7HEx8wNjYQ==:WW7RSAJ7BEVVW5K4VBFL2DB40GRVYJSL, and the funny thing is that I literally haven't done ANYTHING new or different in the last weeks or maybe month.... So for those who say it's because of a 3rd party sms app, well I've always used 3rd party sms apps and I've never had this. Plus I've always used Google Voice and never had this, and I do use a call blocker like LBE Security and it blocks all non-Whitelisted numbers, but that still doesn't stop them from being sent and just stored in the app's blocked section. So I want to find out what it really is and why it started 3days ago all of a sudden, and put an end to these stupid messages!

Anyone who ACTUALLY KNOWS ABOUT THIS PLEASE RESPOND. All you other people who are just pulling crap out your ass and actually have NO clue as to why this is happening, please stop! Its like, would you like if your car was acting up and you wanted to know why, and a bunch of non-mechanics who really don't know started telling all these different reasons for the problem and all these different solutions. Before you know it, those solutions will give you a dozen more problems and still not fix your original problem! I understand some just want to be helpful, but be helpful in only something you are expert in... Thank you!

First off, you opened up a dead thread. DO NO NECRO POST

Second: Foul language is not allowed.

3rd: You have 13 posts. 13 friggin posts! Who are you to tell people not to pull stuff out of their butts when you have no idea what you are talking about yourself or if what they say is good advise our not? I suggest you either make a useful/helpful post or stfu. You posted in a thread that has nothing to do with your device, you act like you are some sort of authority, and your attitude is crap.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    didn't work for me either

Nevermind, it does work!!
    i have a voicemail app and no new voicemail but im still getting it

same here
    If you don't care or don't need the message simply
    send text to: 9999
    Block 8737

If you ever need them again
    Send text to:9999
    Allow 8737

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    Just found this on another site. I have yet to try it, but I have a feeling this is the culprit:

8737 messages are short codes coming from Sparkle Telecom.

To end the messages, reply STOP - a few minutes later you will get a reply confirming the end of the messages.

My guess is the phone got tagged when we roamed on a Sparkle-connected network. This is only a guess...

I'll come back in a couple of days to let everyone know if this stops the texts.

I replied stop long ago and that did not make a difference, after about a month or so they magically stopped for now...