[Q] I am now S-Off w/ Bootloader Unlocked using Firewater!

Search This thread

wwindexx

Jan 30, 2014
Pittsburgh
Okay, so now I can confirm that Firewater worked great - using the temproot method. Where do I go from here? The instructions I've found for installing TWRP were extremely confusing. I had no problems following the directions for Firewater, but this is a different story. Now that I'm unlocked and S-Off, where do I go from here?

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Congrats! Well you need to flash a recovery. Get a recovery.img http://flyhalf205.com/getdownload.php?file=recoveries/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.4-m7vzw.img and place it on your pc in the same folder as the fastboot.exe file. Open a cmd prompt and navigate to the directory where the 2 files are. Boot the phone to bootloader (hboot). Then in the cmd terminal type
Code:
fastboot erase cache
then
Code:
fastboot flash recovery nameofrecoveryimg.img

Last edited:

wwindexx

Jan 30, 2014
Pittsburgh
Thank you very much! I do have some questions. Do I need to be rooted? In the bootloader screen it says I am S-Off and Unlocked, but I don't think I am rooted. I have to use the temproot included with Firewater. I downloaded a twrp .img. Am I supposed to flash that? Once that is flashed, am I free to download a custom rom?

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
If you are s-off and unlocked all you need to do is flash that recovery i posted, and then flash a rom of your choosing. Most every rom comes pre-rooted. I assume right now you are stock. If you want to stay stock just flash that recovery, then flash superuser thru recovery and you will be rooted.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Where did you get the firewater download from, got a link?

Never mind i found it http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/

Last edited:
Reactions: wwindexx

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
Cool so you were 4.3 with s on and locked boot loader and firewater now has you s off and unlocked. So you just need a custom recovery and then whatever Rom you want.

I was going to ruu back to stock locked and s on to try firewater for fun but I don't want to run into snags so I'll just stay how I am for now.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

wwindexx

Jan 30, 2014
Pittsburgh
wronge galismt

Linux - Xubuntu to be specific. It seems to only recognize the device half of the time when connected to USB. It hangs indefinitely - 5 min was the longest I would wait. When I select Recovery from the hboot menu, I get a silhouette of my phone with a "NO" symbol through it. This is not normal.

Last edited:

wwindexx

Jan 30, 2014
Pittsburgh
Are you using the quick android sdk or did you download the whole sdk and install platform tools then set path in your home directory profile?

Edit: try these directions at the bottom to set your path.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/20770-gu...-adb-and-fastboot-in-linux-ubuntu-and-mint12/

I installed adb and fastboot via apt. I guess assuming that was the optimal way to get it was a mistake. I am assuming now that you need to run temproot beforehand?

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
do you mean adding the "sudo" prefix?

Yeah to keep from typing Sudo before each command I usually do Sudo su before running any commands.

It will ask for your password then throw you in admin mode. Otherwise you will need to add Sudo before each command.

I use Linux mint 16 but it's built on ubuntu so it should not be different.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Congrats! Well you need to flash a recovery. Get a recovery.img http://flyhalf205.com/getdownload.php?file=recoveries/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.4-m7vzw.img and place it on your pc in the same folder as the fastboot.exe file. Open a cmd prompt and navigate to the directory where the 2 files are. Boot the phone to bootloader (hboot). Then in the cmd terminal type
    Code:
    fastboot erase cache
    then
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery nameofrecoveryimg.img
    If you are s-off and unlocked all you need to do is flash that recovery i posted, and then flash a rom of your choosing. Most every rom comes pre-rooted. I assume right now you are stock. If you want to stay stock just flash that recovery, then flash superuser thru recovery and you will be rooted.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Where did you get the firewater download from, got a link?

Never mind i found it http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/
    I got a error that said i don't have su binaries? anyone else?

Are you rooted? Or did you install twrp and it says that? You have to be root in Linux to run the command.

Ex: cd Downloads/firewater
    Sudo su
    Type your password

Yeah you need the temp root method because your stock and locked, unrooted. Make sure you are admin when you run it.

I used minimal adb do you think that could have tampered with the process?

It should not as long as you place the firewater files in the same location of the temp adb directory and run commands as admin.