ASUS (Gary Key) UNKNOWN Serial Fix - Post Results

Search This thread

SonicTab

Nov 25, 2010
Gary Key of ASUS who has been very active trying to help Prime owners with issues posted a suggested fix that seems to have helped other owners who have tablets with Unknown serial numbers and are unable to update to ICS.

Here is the suggestion:
1. As for the Serial Number Unknown problem, please try doing a factory reset. If it does not work the first time, after the reboot, please try it again and once at the desktop, wait about 10~15 minutes for the system to sync with the server. So far this has worked for users I am directly assisting at the moment on another forum but it has not worked on two particular units that were returned yesterday.

Might be an idea for users with this issue to give feedback in a separate thread here.

My Result: I've tried it twice, unit still reports an unknown serial number.
To be clear the prime has never been rooted or attempted to be rooted and was factory plastic sealed when I got it.

I have not been able to download any OTA updates, but was able to manually update to Honeycomb .33 from Asus support site.

Last edited:

sontin

Jan 17, 2011
That's not a fix. It's nothing.

I really want to see a link to this forum where he helped the people.

SonicTab

Nov 25, 2010
That's not a fix. It's nothing.

I really want to see a link to this forum where he helped the people.

It's not nothing, it is his suggested fix.
He is trying to help and works for Asus.

Lets try and keep this thread on topic and post just results.

Maybe Gary Key can post updated suggestions,
or more detailed info / steps , if needed ...

Munkee Boy

Jan 5, 2012
Just tried it twice. Did nothing except delete all my apps, settings, music, and books. Serial number still unknown, still can't get ICS. I wish Asus would just post the friggin update on their site so I can manually update for now until they get this sorted out.

Reactions: hamsteyr

ramtripper

Sep 2, 2010
Just tried it twice. Did nothing except delete all my apps, settings, music, and books. Serial number still unknown, still can't get ICS. I wish Asus would just post the friggin update on their site so I can manually update for now until they get this sorted out.

i def agree with the ICS update on the site, but whatever.

I pm'd gary with my serial #, hopefully he can help.

trollcki

Jan 7, 2012
No Luck

Tried it twice - still no luck. I've seen ppl in this forum reporting that factory reset worked for them, that how i got the idea before even finding this post. Good Luck to others.

CTNewb

Dec 21, 2009
Didn't work

I tried it twice as well and waited for it to sync. No luck. Serial number still unknown. I hope Asus fixes it soon. If not I might be returning mine and looking at other alternatives.

dgjl

Jan 9, 2012
Tried it twice, no dice.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Yes, get it on site asap--before a host of people return their ATPs.

3rdamention

Jan 10, 2012
Did this multiple times a day, did this multiple times throughout several days, still "Serial Number Unknown" and no OTA Updates.

Also, purchased it from Best Buy.com, got it the day after ICS was released, that was the first thing I tried to do, turn it on and update to ICS. Nothing! Wasn't rooted, since you cannot root a "Serial Number Unknown" tablet as much as Gary or Asus may want to hint that it is based on previous comments.

More of a suggestion, and far from a fix. The OP should update the title with a questions mark so it is obvious this is a suggestion and NOT a fix! ;)

KDLMaj

Nov 19, 2010
tried this before I sent my unit back- never worked despite several factory resets and waiting for it to sync.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

Gary Key

Apr 28, 2011
www.asus.com
I started an official thread on this subject. We are still trying to replicate it and hopefully I will have an answer from R&D shortly.

Gary Key

Apr 28, 2011
www.asus.com
I asked this in another thread where you mentioned problems but never replied. Please PM your serial number and contact information and we will assist you. As for the rooting, yes it can occur with a Serial Number Unknown unit as evidenced by two returned samples and replication testing.

Did this multiple times a day, did this multiple times throughout several days, still "Serial Number Unknown" and no OTA Updates.

Also, purchased it from Best Buy.com, got it the day after ICS was released, that was the first thing I tried to do, turn it on and update to ICS. Nothing! Wasn't rooted, since you cannot root a "Serial Number Unknown" tablet as much as Gary or Asus may want to hint that it is based on previous comments.

More of a suggestion, and far from a fix. The OP should update the title with a questions mark so it is obvious this is a suggestion and NOT a fix! ;)

bradavon

Mar 22, 2009
South West, England
When's the manual download from the Asus site coming? Unless it has already?

I'm very interested in the Transformer Prime but am not interested in Honeycomb, it has to run ICS!

harrybarracuda

Mar 18, 2008
I might have been interested but, as with the G73, Asus once again seem to have pushed something out that's defective, without proper testing.

It doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

PabloPalmeri

Jul 23, 2010
Upset and have returned device

On January 8th I spent 3 hours with Asus on the phone. I talked to a few different people. was put on hold various times. Here are the replies I got from each before I was put on hold for a long time, and the what I said after it.

1)
ASUS: It's not suppose to have a serial number on the device
ME: I have 3 other android devices, all show the serial #, also my nieghbors TP shows a serial number, so is his device defective?

2)
ASUS: Wipe the data, and you should be able to update after that.
ME: Please wait on the line while I do this...(10 min later) No it's still not getting the update

3)
ASUS: Let me walk you thru how to install the update manually
ME: I just spent 500+ on a device, unless doing the update manually is going to fix the issue of it now updating automatically, I'm not going to start putting work-a-rounds into my routine for this device.

4)
ASUS: There are no updates currently avialble for that device.
ME: I got angry here. I'm on 2.7, there was a release 2.9, and current is 3.3. Do I need to send you the link to your own product support site? Please Connect me to a supervisor or someone who can fix this issue.

5)
ASUS: You've reached the desk of supervisor _________ I'm currently not able to take your call Please leave a name and # and I'll get back to you.
ME: WTF Is this a joke? I've been on the phone for 3 hours dealing with the issue and you end up sending me to a voicemail to end my call. I'm done with you guys and am reporting you to the BBB and will deal directly with my distributor to get a new device.

Thanks for being no help.

On the 13th of January I returned the device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.