[App] Connection Checker

Search This thread

TheXev

Aug 12, 2010
Corry PA
I would like too see a strength plotter

I second this. My connection changes quiet a bit depending on the weather (the more clouds, the better!) So it would be nice to see a DB plot (maybe something like the CPU plotter in Window Task Manager) showing how strong the signal is.

Also, I would recommend changing the log to display in the reverse direction (showing the newest item first). This means you can quickly turn on your phone and view the most current events, without having to scroll down.

So far, in just the few mins I've been using it, its been working lately. I'll give some more input after testing it more tonight!

Glad I get the XDA twitter feed, I'd have missed this app that I desperately needed! Good job and keep up the good work.

Reactions: Lunacy1134

Lunacy1134

Jan 10, 2011
tried the free and the pro version, doesn't seem to enable Wifi when my mobile connection is dropped. don't know why

running miui 1.5.13 on Galaxy S

Hi - As of right now, the program never enables Wifi unless it had previously disabled it. This will be a configurable option in a future release though...

Lunacy1134

Jan 10, 2011
I second this. My connection changes quiet a bit depending on the weather (the more clouds, the better!) So it would be nice to see a DB plot (maybe something like the CPU plotter in Window Task Manager) showing how strong the signal is.

Also, I would recommend changing the log to display in the reverse direction (showing the newest item first). This means you can quickly turn on your phone and view the most current events, without having to scroll down.

I really like the idea of making a DB graph; I'll look into this after I'm done with the widget.

Regarding the log file direction - The window *should* scroll to the bottom when you open the app. It is one of the nagging bugs that I couldn't figure out quickly so I just let it slide :rolleyes:

millomonk

Aug 1, 2005
Moto G5S
OnePlus 7 Pro
bluetooth stays off

Hello,

nice app!

But I have one suggestion:
When mobile connection is down toggling airplain mode disables bluetooth.
I listen to music with a a2dp headset and every time the mobile connections drops switching to airplane mode also drops the connection to the headset.
That's ok so far, but bluetooth stays off and I have to turn it on again each time.

I it possible to leave bluetooth enabled?
Manually toggling airplane starts bluetooth again...

regards

wmlcloud

May 17, 2011
Islamabad
www.wmlcloud.com
Hi - I'm a new Android developer and would like to get your feedback on my first app, Connection Checker.

Description: If your Wifi or Mobile connection drops out all the time, Connection Checker will let you know when your network is down and will try to fix it.

Use it when you have crummy Wifi connections or when your mobile connection disconnects too often.

attachment.php
attachment.php

The current market version of Connection Checker uses in-app billing for some features, but I'm going to be releasing a full paid version shortly. I've included the apk for the paid version below. Any feedback you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

-Jeremy

PS: I've mostly been a lurker on XDA, so if this post is inappropriate I apologize.

Market link for the free version:
attachment.php

Link to download Pro apk:
attachment.php
Reviewed it here:
http://www.wmlcloud.com/mobile/connection-checker-for-android-fixes-weak-wifimobile-network-signals/

Lunacy1134

Jan 10, 2011

So far, in just the few mins I've been using it, its been working lately. I'll give some more input after testing it more tonight!

Glad I get the XDA twitter feed, I'd have missed this app that I desperately needed! Good job and keep up the good work.

Hello,

nice app!

But I have one suggestion:
When mobile connection is down toggling airplain mode disables bluetooth.
I listen to music with a a2dp headset and every time the mobile connections drops switching to airplane mode also drops the connection to the headset.
That's ok so far, but bluetooth stays off and I have to turn it on again each time.

I it possible to leave bluetooth enabled?
Manually toggling airplane starts bluetooth again...

regards

I've had a few people tell me about this problem, and I'll add support for this at some point soon.. Thank you!

Se7enLC

Dec 29, 2009
Very excited to test this out. Original Motorola Droid with Gingerbread (like CM7) has a pretty widespread bug where if you leave it in an area with no signal for awhile (gym locker, subway, office) or make a phone call, the data connection will come back with plenty of signal, but it will never "turn green", and won't be able to make any connections unless you manually reboot or toggle airplane mode. Toggling Airplane mode is an easy workaround, but only if you notice that the connection has dropped. If it's sitting in your pocket, it might be hours before you wonder why you haven't gotten any emails.

This looks like it might be just the workaround I need until that bug gets fixed.

Farbulus

Apr 27, 2011
Congratulations

You are about to have a ****-ton of view. Whitson Gordon just posted this on lifehacker.

Shakazula

Nov 11, 2010
Virginia Beach
Awesome!

I just got linked over here from lifehacker, and I was just this night thinking about how the wifi sucks out in my shed!

awesome, i will give it a spin on the Evo and Xoom!

Lightning Blue

Apr 22, 2011
Farmington, NM
I really like the coverage of Android stuff Lifehacker has, leads to neat stuff like this!

I have no signal at work, so my battery goes down the drain if I don't keep it on the charger all the time, so I'll give this a spin tomorrow!

kildon

Nov 15, 2010
Method to reduce battery consumption

People were talking about possible battery loss due to this running as a background app. Granted, the power savings are probably greater than this battery loss, but you might be able to achieve even greater savings. I haven't implemented this myself, but my understanding is that you can configure apps to periodically update -- usually this is used for triggering downloading of updates etc. Basically it works by telling Android to activate the app after a certain amount of time -- until then, the app can shut itself down thus consuming 0 power. This may be how the app is implemented already, I dunno, but if not, I thought it might offer both memory- and power-saving benefits that would make it well worth the coding effort required...

Also, another suggestion. In the latest stable CM7 build (or possibly earlier -- I just noticed it recently), the power control widget seems to have the ability to disable data while retaining voice connectivity. People might prefer this approach (although, admittedly, it would significantly reduce the power savings) if they want to have a voice connection as much as humanly possible. Perhaps you could utilize whatever method they used in the widget to offer transitioning into data-disabled rather than full airplane mode?

Finally, to address airplane mode disabling bluetooth, all you have to do is retrieve current bluetooth state, toggle airplane on, then set bluetooth state to the retrieved value. Airplane mode will stay on, so your app's functionality will be unaffected, but the issue with losing bluetooth will disappear (actually, it would still occur briefly when airplane mode flips on, but would only last for as long as it takes to re-establish the connection).

Hope some of these ideas help... I'm looking forward to seeing this fantastic app get even better.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi - I'm a new Android developer and would like to get your feedback on my first app, Connection Checker.

Description: If your Wifi or Mobile connection drops out all the time, Connection Checker will let you know when your network is down and will try to fix it.

Use it when you have crummy Wifi connections or when your mobile connection disconnects too often.

attachment.php
    attachment.php

The current market version of Connection Checker uses in-app billing for some features, but I'm going to be releasing a full paid version shortly. I've included the apk for the paid version below. Any feedback you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

-Jeremy

PS: I've mostly been a lurker on XDA, so if this post is inappropriate I apologize.

Market link for the free version:

Market link to Pro (paid app):

Beta Pro version: (beta V1.0.12)

Changelog:

v1.0.12
    * The "Mobile Action" is only selectable in Froyo and Older. This is to reduce confusion because that option doesn't work in Gingerbread and later. Also other minor preference panel changes.

v1.0.11
    * You can now select between toggling Airplane mode and toggling just the mobile connection. (This only works on 2.2 and older devices).
    * Added option to stop check when Bluetooth is enabled.
    * Improved some translations
    * Reliability fix for Toggle Airplane (and mobile)

v1.0.10
    * Major reliability improvement - much more accurate connection check

v1.0.9
    * Added support for Japanese and Korean in app

v1.0.8
    * Initial Release
    Just so happens I'm in a situation in which I could use something like this, look forward to taking it for a spin.

Good luck Jeremy.

This works Flawlessly....:) Thanks Dev Donations coming your way....:)

I also think this should be installed on all SD builds cause they all have connection
    problems...

WTG Bud :)