[HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Search This thread

sunmybun

Oct 31, 2012
I bought my glass form this seller. He had sent me the wrong glass by mistake. He wrote me about it before the wrong glass arrived. He had then sent me the correct glass at no cost. I had just installed the correct glass and have the wrong glass as spare. AND, it comes with the sticky mask so that you can replace the double sided tape that is on the phone. I had bought that mask from a vendor, before I got the glass, and that mask is not as good as the one that came with the glass, which looks like the original, by the way.

can you link me to the Loca and the glass you got? i would like to replace my glass soon thanks =)

sunmybun

Oct 31, 2012
Sometimes I'm such a tool! :) I flat out forgot to put the link in the post! Oh, man, what can I say. Well, here is the link for the glass http://www.ebay.com/itm/400469945985?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The link for the LOCA can be found on page 24, I think, in this thread. Look for it there or maybe a page before or after.

hahha its aiite thanks man. you think there will be any actual gorilla glass front glass? i wish to find one but might not be possible

jkjambo

Mar 26, 2011
can you do some tutorial about changing frame , without breaking LCD?

i want to change frame on my s3 , but can't find any video about it :confused:

JustMeToo

Mar 24, 2011
can you do some tutorial about changing frame , without breaking LCD?

i want to change frame on my s3 , but can't find any video about it :confused:

I have not changed the frame either. It's too tough and very risky. If I'll find a way to do it without breaking the LCD I'll post it hear, but don't hold you breath on that! :D

sunmybun

Oct 31, 2012
I have not changed the frame either. It's too tough and very risky. If I'll find a way to do it without breaking the LCD I'll post it hear, but don't hold you breath on that! :D

im looking forward for this too i bought my oem housing and front glass and im gonna wait till someone figured out to separate the front bezel and the lcd. :D

gypsy214

Jan 24, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Saved this thread. I really liked the Purple S3.. I might just buy the purple glass and the back cover and try it... I just tired of my white s3.. I had a white s2 and before another white phone

Jan 3, 2011
Best way

Hi

I have been researching on how to do these screens and the safest way of doing the screen is using a type of
1. substance that will break down the bond around the chassis so that the whole screen will come out in one peace
2. a digital heat plate that is set around 70 - 75 degrees C
3. a clamp to hold screen on the plate
4. the special wire to cut the glass away.
5. adhesive remover to clean digitiser
6. a mold to put the cleaned screen in so line up the new glass
7. adhesive to stick new screen on digitiser/lcd
8. a UV light to set the adhesive

obviously to to all of this you have to remove all electrical items from the chassis before doing any of this.

I have tried this technique and it does work and you do get a better finish and there is less risk of damaging the digitiser in the process.

also do not go over 80 degrees C as this will harm the digitiser and it will start to melt and deform.

I have done this once and I was not a happy chap. :(

regards

Neil from WWWyourphonerepairCOM

KUN1

Account currently disabled
Sep 29, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Hi

I finally received my frame+display today! :D
I replaced it with the old one and reconnected everything as it was befor.
I started the device and first i got some weird screen issues green crossing etc.
Then after one or two minutes the screen worked fine and everything else too.
After i closed the whole device and unlocked the device the same weird issues were back.
Is this a Hardwareproblem (ruined, broken display) or did I something wrong(hope so ^^)
Here are some screenshots...
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Thanks in advance :)

Jan 3, 2011
How do you set the new screen? Do I need to buy double sided LCD tape?

I see you got it out in one piece. Did you tape it down before heating?

Hi
You are supposed to use LOCA but most people use 3M tape around the edge

:)

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Hi
Usually assoiated to signal loss when lines appear across screen
bad connection on board can cause this probably around a connector near bottom of phone on left side with phone facing away from you!!
try reseating the cable and have a look.

wilsjay

Oct 14, 2010
Kinda worked but got my screen too hot samsung will do for 135 now

I just tried this on my phone and here are some tips from my experience and errors.
1. My screen was SHATTERED. Still worked, but the glass was in tons of little pieces unlike most of the DIY videos. Getting it out in one piece was not even an option. I tried taping it together first but that did not work out.
2. Video titled: BEST Samsung Galaxy SIII Broken Glass Repair on youtube is the best one to follow that I found.
3. I got my screen too hot and it slightly discolored, but still worked. I got the great idea of laying the heat gun on its side since I didn't have extra set of hands and when the part I was working on got hot enough I flipped it around to work on it, and accidental had the other end catching heat, hence it got too hot where I was not working at the time and it slightly discolored (you could only see this when screen was off though) Get a laser thermometer and keep shooting entire surface at all time and don't be afraid to take breaks and re-heat.
4. I thought I could use a razor blade to separate the glass from digitizer panel. Worked great but ended up leaving a couple of little scratches (there were pretty minor and livable actually). I would still use nothing but plastic guitar pick next time though.
5. After all that I cleaned it up good and got the new glass on no problem. However screen lost sensitivity. At times you had to touch the screen a little harder and edge swiping was nearly impossible (hand gesture for screen shot for instance).
6. After being frustrated, I called samsung and asked what they would charge to replace the screen, their price is now down to $135 including shipping so I am sending it out in the morning....

NOTE: I used the prokit from amazon that came with the pre-cut tape, not sure if the thickness of that is what caused the screen sensitivity loss or not.... I also noticed the edges stuck up ever so slightly higher around bezel, like perhaps the tape was just a tad thicker. My thoughts are that causes a very slight gap between glass and digitize to account for sensitivity loss (I also did try a screen calibration as well)

JustMeToo

Mar 24, 2011
6. After being frustrated, I called samsung and asked what they would charge to replace the screen, their price is now down to $135 including shipping so I am sending it out in the morning....

When you get it back from Samsung, can you check how readable the screen is in the sun and report back to us?

JustMeToo

Mar 24, 2011
Oh no, not at all. I'm just curious if they use something to 'glue' the glass to the digitizer, like LOCA, that I used, or the OCA that some other used. If they used the LOCA you'll be able to smell it. :) I know I can on my phone when I open it to put the battery or the SIM card.

Without one of these things the phone nearly impossible to read out in the sun.

sunmybun

Oct 31, 2012
Oh no, not at all. I'm just curious if they use something to 'glue' the glass to the digitizer, like LOCA, that I used, or the OCA that some other used. If they used the LOCA you'll be able to smell it. :) I know I can on my phone when I open it to put the battery or the SIM card.

Without one of these things the phone nearly impossible to read out in the sun.

what do you think is the best way to seperate the lcd and the front bezel. i just want people to give out ideas so i can try one soon when my housing comes in the mail

edit: i saw this the other day and i was curious how he did it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8MTG3AfqBc&feature=c4-overview&playnext=1&list=TLbCl-EZ5dmsI

Last edited:

realwillow

Jul 11, 2008
Depends on what facilities you have access to. Most use a heat gun, patience an a small blade.

Watch the video here.
http://lcdglue.com/

Came a Ross it earlier today, even if not for buying anything from the the videos are useful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Volc7

Jun 6, 2013
digitizer

Does anyone here have problems with their touchscreen after replacing the glass?

I've turned on the developer setting to show touch points to make it easier to figure out.. It seems that it gets confused.. For example, if I pinch to zoom in on something and touch my fingers together, so the two touch points are on top each other and then take my hands off the screen, one touch point will remain and it will gitter in the middle of screen, making it nearly impossible to do anything.. To remedy it I just need to turn the screen off and back and everything is back to normal, but damn is it annoying.

Any tips on how to fix this? I think it has something to do with the glue layer that holds the glass on to the digitizer missing and the tiny gap causing the digitizer to read funky, but I have no idea. I'm just curious why this hasn't been mentioned anywhere.. One of my friends replaced his screen and has the exact same problem, so I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

so civicx94, did you manage to fix the digitizer issue? changed the screen on mine and pressure in developer options is always 1.0 (like you describe. so im wondering if its a screen issue or just a rom problem like some people suggested

Jan 3, 2011
separating chassis from screen

use alcohol to separate the chassis from screen, it needs to be soaking in it for 20+ mins and only the chassis and complete screen not main board and or other parts , use only directed types of this to separate the chassis or risk damaging plastic finish.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all i take no credit for this discovery or process. If anyone wants credit for this information just MSG me with a reference and i will be more than happy to add you. However i looked around and the information was all scattered so i figured i'de add it all in one easy to follow post. Most of the info i found was thru youtube and a couple of my own added ideas.

This is a how to remove , separate , and replace a cracked
    S3 screen from the digitizer by melting/softening the adhesive glue
    (in other words it is how to replace JUST THE GLASS)

Many people out there still say that the S3 's glass can not be separated from the digitizer and that the digitizer and glass but be bought "fused" together from OEM..this is not true. It can indeed be separated using the the process below and it will work just fine and be just as responsive as when you first bought the phone. Video Proof below.

PLEASE SEE THESE VIDEOS For screen removal from digitizer and Use as reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eneLvVe7DwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZuiCsAtThw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJXXKOl7Nu8

The screen/glass part u are replacing looks like this
    (i know it doesn't look like it is glass but trust me it is glass, it is about as thin as 5 sheets of paper):

CVA6W.jpg

sICFr.jpg

video thanks to: marcustaz

This is how i replaced my screen and tools needed:

***Lots of Patience and carefulness *** (about 30 mins if u done before...about 60-90 mins if its your 1st time)

*** wear PROTECTIVE GOGGLES - EYE GLASSES (yes there is a HIGH POSSIBILITY that small glass shards may fly and glass in the eye is not fun)***

1) replacement screen - with no digitizer (exact pictures of what u need to buy are the pictures above..just match your color) ($25 USD aprox on Amazon - Cheaper on Ebay $18 USD) (The same screen fits all models just match the color...Samsung Galaxy S3 III T-mobile SGH-T999 / AT&T SGH-i747 / Verizon SCH-i535 / Sprint SPH-L710 / US Cellular SCH-R530 / GT-i9300)

2) exacto knife ($5 USD aprox)

3) heat gun ($20(harborfreight) for a cheapy....or $40 (homedepot) for a good one with adjustable heat)
    ***** HEAT IS CRITICAL, most people faill because they did not heat up the glass enough ( MUST BE around 180F)****

4) empty cereal box or cardboard calendar (or something similar that is comparable in sturdiness yet is "not too solid")

5) 90% rubbing alcohol ( $3.. make "damp" on a microfiber cloth or cotton ball (cotton-ball kinda makes a mess) removes any excess glue stuck to the digitizer)

6) microfiber cloth (available from .99 cent stores or dollar stores)

7) tweezers (.99 cent store ...or your moms/girlfriends/wife's beauty box..LoL)

OPTIONAL TOOLS BUT HELPS ALOT

*** an extra hand or two (1 or 2 more people helping is a big help)

*** laser thermometer (to make sure u do not overheat the phone, try to stay under 200F degrees with an average of about 180F degrees, slightly going over 200 does not hurt but i do not recommend)

*** thick leather gloves/welding gloves (prevents your hands from getting burned while someone else is heating the phone and maintaining the temp u can be easily removing the screen...at 180 degrees the glue and glass separate from the digitizer like BUTTER and the gloves protect you from getting burned by the heatgun!!!)

***Magnifying glass (to be able to make sure the glass fragments are completely removed from the digitizer so the new screen will sit flush)

*** thin latex/rubber gloves (when putting on the screen so there are no finger prints)

*** duck tape (hold glass together so it doesn't "fall apart" while removing)

Instructions on how i did it below:

Remove the battery , sim card, micro sdcard. Apply ductape or some kinda of good heat resistant tape to the top of the glass screen so the broken glass stays intact when removing. Put on your safety glasses/eye protection (believe me i highly recommend this regardless of how dorky you may look, if glass from the phone goes in your eye ...well you have been warned). Grab the exacto bladed and lightly apply pressure with it between the glass and the outer grey plastic trim and then outline the entire outer edge of the glass. Put on some heat resistant gloves (gloves that u wont feel the burn) Heat up your heatgun and heat the phones screen to around 180 Degrees Fahrenheit ...you can know the temp by using a laser thermometer (try not to go over 200 degrees). NOTE: U must remove the glass when its at around this temp, failure to do so will make it hard to remove the glass from the digitizer. Try to heat the entire phone evenly by using a "circular" or "side to side" type of motion when applying the heat. Find the outer edge of the glass and find a place in the corner to begin the removal. I recommend beginning on the top left side of the phone (where the S in SAMSUNG side of the corner) is at. Once the phone is heated to approx 180 degrees you can begin to lift the glass. (i do not recommend lifting in the middle of the screen or any "black part" of the screen as you can risk damaging the digitizer, the outer edge (where it is white/blue) is the safest spot to begin separation.) If you don't have access to a laser thermometer then you can risk it and just take your time till you notice the glass begins to "lift/separate" . Once you have a decent amount of the glass lifted (just enough to put the cardboard in) you can shove a piece of the cereal box inside and begin to use the cereal box to lift the rest of the glass. Continue this processes till the glass is all lifted and removed. When you start approaching the bottom of the phone where the button is at BE CAREFUL...try to go around the bottom and you will also notice 2 " touch ribbon light sensors"(look at the attachment pictures BELOW i labeled the light/ribbon sensor). They can removed from the glass using the heat gun and the exacto knife...it should lift right up and separate from the glass. Once u separate the ribbon your should be all done removing or close to done removing the glass from the digitizer. If by this point you haven't already removed the glass continue to remove till all the major pieces of glass is removed. Once the major pieces of glass are removed you can now put on some latex gloves and Remove the excess glass on the corners using the exacto knife and the tweezers. Carefully remove the small pieces of glass on the digitizer using a 90% alcohol LIGHTLY DAMPENED microfiber cloth. DO NOT APPLY HEAVY PRESSURE TO THE DIGITIZER when tiny glass is still on there (instead just kind of gently sweep it...using a new paint brush might even help) when removing the small glass fragment, NOTE that if you do apply too much pressure to the digitizer u risk the glass shards scratching or denting the digitizer!!! Once the glass is all removed and shards are gone you can now clean any fingerprints lint dust or oils using a dry microfiber cloth by gently applying LIGHT/SOFT pressure. Leave the glue on the outside edges of the phone and the bottom and top of the phone...just make sure the digitizer is spotless. Once everything is clean and the digitizer is spotless you can now install the screen. start from the bottom of the phone and proceed to put on the screen, make sure the "push" button is lined up and the line up the "light-sensor-ribbons buttons". the sensor ribbon buttons should just stick to the glass and line up with the screen part. Once the button is lined up you can now line up the rest of the screen and gently push down. The screen should be stuck into place by the existing glue on the outer edges. While holding the screen in place carefully put the battery in and turn on the device and make sure the buttons and screen and everything works properly and make sure the "lights" on the menu buttons work. Once you verify everything works and looks beautiful you can take the battery out one last time. Using the heatgun reheat the screen to melt the adhesive glue to the screen. Once the screen is heated back up to 180 degrees gently push on the glass and press for about 10 seconds and make sure to press in the outter edges of the glass where u left the glue. Let the phone cool off and you are good to go. Have fun using your S3!! This sounds fairly long and hard, but its not as hard as it sounds..its actually fairly easy and should take the average person about 50-70 mins first time. Experienced person about 20-40 mins.

i figure with the videos above you should be able to figure it out. Ill probably be adding more detailed info if this thread becomes popular. Good luck guys/gals

FAQS
    Q1) How do i know if its just my glass screen and not the phone itself that's not working?
    You will know if your phone screen lens cracked, but LCD display works. In other words you will know that its just the glass that's broken if your phone currently works perfectly fine and the touch screen works fine BUT the only thing wrong with the phone is the screen being physically cracked/scratched. If this is your case then the instructions above will work on replacing the glass.

keywords: s3 sIII slll fix fixed shattered break broke crack cracked cracks fuse fused unfuse remove removal repair guide video videos tutorial how-to how to fix it diy dropped drop break broken broke gorilla glass white marble t999 i747 i535 l710 r530 i9300 instruction
    Gentlemen and OP please update your original post to include this video. This is NOT to promote myself but from all the comments and feedback everyone has stated it is the most detailed and informative on You Tube on the glass replacement procedure. I also have separate videos on shattered glass replacement. Thanks and good luck.

Build up the entire border with 2mm tape a bit more. At the bottom especially on top of the ribbon cable there is a protective clear cover and in my experience if that comes off during the original loca removal the glass can sit to low and contact the digitizer. Not tooting my own horn here, watch my videos of glass repair part 2 I believe and watch how I make the rectangle border of 2 mm tape. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
    Well... I am unable to find anyone locally willing to help and am nervous as all hell about attempting this. Anyone done this first attempt not messing it up? Also my screen looks like a spiderweb its so banged up. Will this affect how the screen pulls off of the digitizer? Thanks. :( hopefully I manage!

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 2

My sisters screen was the worst I have ever seen. It was so shattered it was missing litle pieces if glss. I did it on my first attemp with no problems. It really is easier than it looks. Just be patient and make shure you are getting the addhesive hot enough (without melting your phone) and the screen will come right off.....with the help of a razor blade....Once Ihad finished I was shocked on how easy it really was....

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

My sisters screen was the worst I have ever seen. It was so shattered it was missing litle pieces if glss. I did it on my first attemp with no problems. It really is easier than it looks. Just be patient and make shure you are getting the addhesive hot enough (without melting your phone) and the screen will come right off.....with the help of a razor blade....Once Ihad finished I was shocked on how easy it really was....

My auto correct has failed me....lol
    Tried this and it works haven't noticed any issue with my screen response. $100 for gs3 with cracked screen $14 replacement glass $24 on heat gun which I'll return lol $1 on alcohol $4 on towels can't beat that

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app