[CLOSED] ANDROID/MAEMO/LINUX on HD2:) [NO MORE ACTIVE!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

shu8i

Nov 4, 2009
New Jersey
dualboot would be pretty cool.... i think especially after the release of htc dragon we would 100% have android on the hd2, BuT... is a 512mb ROM not a little too smal for two operating systems? and what's with apps then? we would have to transfer them to the microsd?

xmoo

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2006
Eindhoven
www.Mohammad.Moghtader.net
that would be great, but what makes you so shure??

A lot of the drivers is same to HD, and the HD dev is going very good.

I won a Android phone (can't tell the brand) 1 Ghz wvga... And in two days hopefully also the HD2. I did a lot of Android developements in the past.
If I don't like WM6.5, will try to get Android to work on the HD2.

dualboot would be pretty cool.... i think especially after the release of htc dragon we would 100% have android on the hd2, BuT... is a 512mb ROM not a little too smal for two operating systems? and what's with apps then? we would have to transfer them to the microsd?

There is no dual boot at the same time.
You can run Android or WM 6.5, not both at the same time.

shure2

Jun 24, 2008
wow .. so do i man !! im buying only for the sole pupose of seeing android on this phone ;)

wow! don't do it!

I know the developers here have skills but andoid hasn't been successfully ported to a wm device yet, let alone sense.

the only chance this device might have of having some sort of android port is htc releasing another android device with the EXACT same hardware as the HD2

borillion_star

Nov 27, 2007
Im looking to get my hands on a Snapdragon MSM8250 Dev board sometime soon so as to get a bit of a head start, anyone have any recommendations?

In my opinion Sense is a gimmick, frankly getting android running first is the most important part.

I did notice that there was only 512MB ram in this thing too, this is a slight disappointment has anyone heard of mem chips ever being taken out and
replaced?, I have access to a BGA re-flow station, just never heard of this being done......

Last edited:

kindadevil

Dec 17, 2007
Hong Kong
can the mods please change the thread title to [DEV]ANDROID/MAEMO/LINUX on HTC TOUCH HD2

Now that you mention Maemo: I would like to know about the possibility of porting it to HD2. I already decided buying HD2, but some time ago I was very tempted about buying the N900 instead, just because of Maemo. Is there any project already? or do you think it will be possible and when is expected this to happen? :confused:

cr2

Jan 15, 2005
Netripper has LEO, and made some tests and dumps with haret.
So one can already work on the linux kernel itself, there is quite a bit
of technical information.
When a zimage is available, haret can boot it, there are no unexpected problems on LEO.
wince is (as it always was) a completely insecure "operating system".
Our main task is to document the hardware environment (irqs, gpios, memory areas).

Last edited:

tids2k

Apr 21, 2009
Sydney
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Netripper has LEO, and made some tests and dumps with haret.
So one can already work on the linux kernel itself, there is quite a bit
of technical information.
When a zimage is available, haret can boot it, there are no unexpected problems on LEO.
wince is (as it always was) a completely insecure "operating system".
Our main task is to document the hardware environment (irqs, gpios, memory areas).

likes cr2 and his unexceptional great works ! :):D

maxvim

Nov 9, 2009
Varese
hello, i have a question.
i don't understand if Android can be installed on HD2, and if we must wait dev or we can install android base.

thank you

borillion_star

Nov 27, 2007
document the hardware environment (irqs, gpios, memory areas),
thats not exactly running adroid maxvim, some work needs to be done
on how to communicate with different parts of the hardware in the phone.

hello, i have a question.
i don't understand if Android can be installed on HD2, and if we must wait dev or we can install android base.

thank you

borillion_star

Nov 27, 2007
You can't simply boot beause android would not know how to talk to the screen, the sdcard nor the phone parts to allow you to make calls. Something you need are irqs so you can write drivers so you can use the components in the phone,

This is much like the pc you have at home, linux or windows needs drivers in order to give you use of different parts, for example your ethernet NIC, if there is no driver it plain just won't work!

I'm not claiming here to be a know it all be some people who post here should know some basic things before they just jump in with can we boot base android and etc...:eek:

borillion_star

Nov 27, 2007
This is slightly off topic, but has anyone looked into phones that are already running different flavors of linux, for example the Samsung Rouge or Instinct that in themselves are not to bad of phones?

borillion_star

Nov 27, 2007
Sound like to me at least one could use bitpim's ability to edit core filesystems on phones running I assume in this case its symbian would make life a bit simpler in some aspects on these phones assuming they have good enough specs for a decent experience with android.

shu8i

Nov 4, 2009
New Jersey
stupid question.... the zune HD OS is pretty well done... why doesn't microsoft add some more features (calling etc.) and releases it under winmo 6.6 or something? like apple did it... itouch & iphone OS are pretty much the same

Status
Not open for further replies.