Beats Audio

Search This thread

naosuke

Sep 30, 2008
Does the Beats Audio sound mod really make a difference with music playback or is it more of a placebo effect?

Jdom58

Aug 30, 2009
South Florida
It's a gimmick, "Raistline" explained it best:

""My reasoning is as follows.

On the Beats Audio HW side, it is overprices POS that lives on name brand along, much like BOSE. This is not to say the Hardware is bad, but rather that it is highly over-priced for what you get and can often get better quality for 1/3rd or less of the MSRP if you buy other brands.

As for the SW side of things Beats audio artificially increases the the lower end of the audio spectrum through audio "enhancement" algorithms which actually colors the sound and effects not only the Lower Bass but Mid-bass as well and imho ruins the music. It ruins it by changing the sound signature drastically from the original. Basically from all I have seen through wave-guide charts is that it adds or amplifies all frequencies under 120hz to be at an equal or higher level than the highest output for a single frequency. In short, it makes all music sound heavy in bass whether or not it was the artists original intention.""

Master&Slave™

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 14, 2011
Delran
Flash Paradox and you will see it in full effect..well a tweaked effect. On my sensation its horrible but I pulled all files and combined them with DSP manager...

Now you can toggle it on or off via DSP settings. :)

I tweaked it so it sounds much much cleaner and you can tweak it to ur liking in DSP Manager

JhonKa

May 23, 2010
My personal rule of HiFi. If you need EQ or any extra sound 'enhancers' you just need some new speakers/headphones.

Mitallust

Oct 17, 2011
Vancouver
My personal rule of HiFi. If you need EQ or any extra sound 'enhancers' you just need some new speakers/headphones.

Not always true, sometimes different hardware will react differently, plus the environment you are listening to makes a difference. That being said, artificially increasing EQ values across the board usually means your shortfall is hardware related, like you said.

Muff Burner

Mar 11, 2012
Flash Paradox and you will see it in full effect..well a tweaked effect. On my sensation its horrible but I pulled all files and combined them with DSP manager...

Now you can toggle it on or off via DSP settings. :)

I tweaked it so it sounds much much cleaner and you can tweak it to ur liking in DSP Manager

I use professional audio equipment all day everyday. Beats does nothing amazing and in most cases makes music sound worse. If you have crappy monitors or cheap headphones, its possible for beats to push the already mediocre lower end more. The only problem is it makes music that is already clear sound muddy. Best thing you can do is listen to quality music (FLAC, MP4, AIFF, WAV, 320kbs). Raising the response of lower frequencies in horribly compressed music (96-224kbs & vbs) is only gonna make it sound worse over the whole spectrum. If your looking for a quick way to make your Bieber or Lil Wayne pirated copy sound better, this will do just fine for your needs. For true audiophiles and sound junkies, beats is nothing more than a cheap gimmick marketed at people who just wanna look cool.

Last edited: